Honest Opinion Time! Be brutal!

Redeemer

Honesty  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you prefer being honest on anon?

• Because I don't want to hurt them personally.
    • Because I don't want to attract negative attention to myself.
    • Because I don't want to look like an asshole.
    • Because I like being nasty on anon.
    • Because I like keeping my choices private.

Okay so I've been recently digging into the psychology behind anonymity and how it empowers people. I'm making a poll here, it'll also be anonymous, and I want you guys to tell me WHY you feel more inclined to be honest via an anonymous source as opposed to being honest while being known.

Please be honest. :D

• Like 1

I think it's more that people on anonymous sources can say what they really want without fear of repercussions. So I reckon the second one. I rarely do anything anonymously and when I do it's usually because I can't be arsed to make an account or what not.

I can pretty much say I'm well aware on how my opinions are not really well-seen by others as general rule, so the negative attention is something I could live without. I can say for sure I feel more free to opine when in anonymity because I don't need to worry about what comes back to me and how. Or at least, I don't need to worry that it may be harmful. Even so I still measure what I say with ludicrously astronomical amounts of carefulness to be sure I've made my point as flawless as possible. Sure, it still doesn't work much but 'ey, one can dream, eh?

That doesn't apply to a lot of situations for me though since I generally keep to self as general rule though.

When I am not anonymous, I have a name. I have a number and anything I say can and usually will come back to me. And I can do anything about it. All my beliefs will be judged, all my statements will be criticized, and all my opinions will be offensive to at least someone. 

Yet when I'm anonymous, I can be one in a million. My statements, opinions and actions won't stand accounted for. I am free to say what's on my mind and nobody would bat an eye.

That and I think people just can't take criticism at all. I mean, I think I can be criticized, and I'll take that critique and fix my problem but not everyone can. Some will take it to heart and just hate the person who submitted the comment, be friend or foe ... but they can't target someone who's anonymous. 

(And Red, holyshit thank you for making a topic that is actually decent and not just another blatant "funposting" thread this is a glorious sight for sore eyes I am crying)

I am never anonymous. I prefer to keep my personality, for it helps set me apart from the other sheep in the herd. I like being honest, but I try to be careful as to what I say so I do not become the most hated guy on the internet. That being said, there are plenty of people out there who would hate who I am and what I like. As the saying goes, haters gonna hate.

If it's something I think "oh I should probably be anonymous for this" I just wont say it.

Unless I'm gushing about how much I love someone then anonymous because shy for reals. :c

I hate being anonymous, it makes me feel guilty for some reason. Even sending nice anons on Tumblr or whatever just makes me feel eugh. I send an anon ask to David Gaider yesterday and felt really weird about it, like I only went on anon because I was being shy (he answered it too!), so I dunno. If it's something I wouldn't want my name attached to, I just wouldn't say it.

^this.

Honestly, I'm exactly the same on anon. I've got no dirty laundry that I can't air publicly, and if I have an opinion, then dammit I'll say it. Ias soon as "establish myself" as to where my limits are and where I stand, I stand there and take no shame in it. If I'm considered a prude/perv/pansy/liberal/conservativ/hardass/snob/irrelevant/suckup, then sorry, that's who I am, anon or non-anon. If I'm different on anon, then I feel guilty because I'm basically lying to that person about who I am.

• 4 weeks later...

I prefer to use laundromats. IRL, some environments can't handle the stench of public laundry without going ape on your ass. The internet is my favorite laundromat anon or not. I've got a feel for which people will be where and the routine. Not dealing with you is a ctrl+w away.

What i'm saying, if i'm saying anything: is that the keyboard empowers me first and foremost, whether you know my name or not.

the name's Shen, btw

Lord Shen