Predator and Prey

Star_Dragon

Sal stood, watching as the simmering figure that was the holographic medic began to treat Ash's wound. That certainly did look nasty.

''We ran into some trouble down on Virnat,'' He said to answer the medic's question. ''We were attacked. Me, her, Trask and a few others made it out alive.'' He explained,

turning to look out of the window to look at the planet that they had just escaped from.

''I hope the others made it out alive, too...''

Salto's facial expression was no one of uncertainess. He never would have thought that in the space of nearly an hour, he would meet the others he was with now, get caught up in an invasion, and escape to this massive warship.

''As for me,'' Sal continued, taking his wing off of his forehead and jerking his head to the side to prevent blood escaping. ''Forehead bleed, doesn't seem too bad, but I can't patch it up myself.''

Sal looked at it, and gasped. He was bleeding!

''Dah!'' He exclaimed, alarmed. He never took a hit during that firefight down on Virnat, so how did he get it...?

Then he realized. A full half hour without realizing?!

Sal looked at Neil and gave him a snide look. He was annoyed that that racoon had caused him an injury by knocking

him down. Sure, that action saved his life, but he was now bleeding because of that.

''You owe me a handful of nuts for this. And a bandage,'' He sneered, covering his bleeding forehead with his wing.

Rummaging through the supply cabinets in their small shuttle and paying little mind to the seemingly-agitated squawking coming from somewhere behind him, Neil couldn't help but to be a pain about it.  "You've gotta be nuts."  Chuckling to himself as he turned and strolled back over to Sal, he cracked a grin and spread his arms. 

"To be fair though, I pushed the big guy." he said, motioning his thumb in Trask's direction.  He didn't have a recollection of literally running into the bird before, but then again he was probably not thrilled about recalling anything near the time where he almost obtained a disruptor hole in his head. 

"I'll keep that in mind," Trask said as he landed the shuttle in the hangar bay. Other shuttles landed nearby, all filled with terrified refugees.

"Ashlin, head for medbay - the holographic crewmen will show you the way," Trask said. He looked to Sal and added, "You might want to head there, too. Once you and Ashlin are patched up, head for the bridge. Tovan, Neil... follow me. And don't worry that the hangar doors are still open - the Hangar atmosphere is contained by a magnetic containment field."

Trask exited the shuttle as it powered down, slinging his H1M1 as he went. The hangar doors closed slowly as Trask headed out of the hangar, but Trask never once looked in that direction. Once the hangar doors closed, the Retribution's Thunder shimmered as it engaged it's cloaking device, and was gone again. Inside, nothing changed as the cloaking device engaged.

---

Trask and Tovan kept leading the way through the dark and dimly-lit halls of the Reman vessel. "I hope you can forgive the darkness," Trask told those behind him. "Back in my stint in the Romulan Military, the Remans that served here weren't comfortable in the light."

"You've got it, chief," the raccoon piped up, following shortly behind.  Unable to contain his curiosity as he eyed the interior of a ship with a renewed vigor, Neil took in as much of it as he could.  His eyesight was more attuned to the slight darkness and picking up subtle details of architecture was something that he got a kick out of.  Turning his head ever so often to glance both behind and around the group, several errant thoughts flowed through his mind. 

"What the hell am I doing here, what the hell is this place, and why the hell did those things think to practically wipe out Virnat?

The holo-medic noticed Sal, and said, "Take a seat, sir, I'll be right with you." He worked on Ashlin's wound, then finished up, sterilized it, and wrapped it in a bandage. "You should be fine, so long as you take it easy." He walked over to Sal, scanning his wound. "Oh, this is an easy fix - now, where did I put that Dermal Regenerator...?" He searched around, then found it. He then sterilized Sal's cut, stopped the bleeding, then used the dermal regenerator to seal the wound. "There we are - good as new." Looking between Sal and Ashlin, he said, "Whatever you two need to do here, you'd better snap to it - Subadmiral Trask isn't the most patient man I've known."

Trask led Tovan and Neil to the bridge of the Retribution's Thunder. The doors hissed and parted, revealing a hard-at-work holographic bridge crew. "Admiral on the bridge!" one shouted. The holographic Romulans and Remans snapped to attention.

"Ashlin Thorne" the vixen told the crew member. She stayed still throughout the procedure, wincing or growling here and there. Once the wound was wrapped and sealed she looked over her side. "Look, I dont know what your "Subadmiral" has planned but he better make it quick. I got jobs to finish; cant let my reputation suffer." She poked at the hole in her tanktop before looking at the door. "So where do we go now?"

''I guess we'd better head for the bridge,'' Sal answered Ash's question while he was being treated by the medic.
''Trask and the others are bound to be waiting for us up there.''
When the medic had finished tending to Salto's wounds, he lifted up his wing to touch where his wound was. He felt a small
stitch in it's place - and no blood.
''Gracias, sir.'' Sal said. ''C'mon Ashlin, let's get to the bridge.''
Sal turned and headed for the door, while turning on his headset and tuning into a radio station. The song that was
being played a very gentle one - perfect for chilling out. But how could Sal chill out when he had just been caught
up in an invasion?
''I remember the parties me and my amigoes back home in Sao Paulo used to organize every night.'' Sal explained to
Ash to try and ease the tension. ''Those were the fun days, hosting a massive festival of music and colors. The open-mic
events were fun as well. You should've been there, you'd have liked it.''
Sal quickly switched to Trask's radio frequency.
''Trask? We're on our way up.'' He said.

"Acknowledged," Trask said as he settled into the captain's chair. "Follow the holo-crewmen."

(Gonna wait for a post from russiandog or OneUnder before I continue. I don't want to hog all the activity.)

(Im sorry! I just got back hime from a trip so im still settlimg in)

"Doubt it" Ashlin mumbled under her breath. She had never been one for parties and friends, hell even family for that matter. She veiwed things like social get togethers, relationships,  and family reunions as distractions from work, so she didnt partake in them.

"How far is it to the bridge?" She asked clutching her side. It was more of a question to herself, because she would soon find out.

"Just follow me," one of the holo-crewmen said to Ashlin. He headed through the dimly-lit halls of the Reman warship, heading for the bridge.

As Neil peered around the command center of the ship, he couldn't help but to be taken slightly aback at the vast amount of monitors, input devices, and monitoring equipment that practically covered the place.  Attempting to take it all in at once would be sure to give even the most skilled multitasker a sensory overload.  Averting his eyes from the dim glow of the screens and scanning elsewhere, the raccoon surmised that he was both impressed and baffled - the sheer amount of equipment was nothing to scoff at, and yet he hadn't the slightest clue of what half of it could be for.  Perhaps the Retribution's Thunder had a few more tricks up its sleeves. 

"How long does this thing run on a single tank?," he asked to no one in particular, assuming that it had to have been refueled at one time or another.

Sal followed the crew member up to the bridge. The place was pretty spacious, with crew members all around the
place working on the systems and places that they were assigned to. Sal paused for a moment to take it in.
''Well, here we are.'' He mumbled, heading for where Trask was sitting. Sal cleared his throat to get his attention.
''Okay, we're here.'' He said, crossing his wings. ''So what do we do now?''

As Neil peered around the command center of the ship, he couldn't help but to be taken slightly aback at the vast amount of monitors, input devices, and monitoring equipment that practically covered the place.  Attempting to take it all in at once would be sure to give even the most skilled multitasker a sensory overload.  Averting his eyes from the dim glow of the screens and scanning elsewhere, the raccoon surmised that he was both impressed and baffled - the sheer amount of equipment was nothing to scoff at, and yet he hadn't the slightest clue of what half of it could be for.  Perhaps the Retribution's Thunder had a few more tricks up its sleeves. 

"How long does this thing run on a single tank?," he asked to no one in particular, assuming that it had to have been refueled at one time or another.

"You mistake this vessel for one that runs on ordinary fuel," Trask chuckled as he went over a systems report one of his crewmen handed him. "This ship is powered by a special Quantum Singularity core developed by - ironically, as it is - the Tal Shiar. The same kind of core that was deployed on the Reman Warbird Scimitar. With the Scimitar's destruction, my ship is the only one in the galaxy with a power source like that."

Sal followed the crew member up to the bridge. The place was pretty spacious, with crew members all around the

place working on the systems and places that they were assigned to. Sal paused for a moment to take it in.

''Well, here we are.'' He mumbled, heading for where Trask was sitting. Sal cleared his throat to get his attention.

''Okay, we're here.'' He said, crossing his wings. ''So what do we do now?''

"Now," Trask said, handing the systems report back to the crewman, "We're ready to get underway. Helm--"

The comms console beeped. "Sir," the crewman at the console reported, "We're getting a distress signal... Virnat refugees are under attack by Tal Shiar forces."

Trask looked to his now comrades. He couldn't leave other refugees behind - not after what they'd already been through. "Helm, plot an intercept course; tactical, go to red alert, shields up, weapons hot. Let's show these Tal Shiar bastards why the Retribution's Thunder was the most feared vessel after the Scimitar."

Sal jumped a little bit at the beeping that came from the comm console. He listened to the crewman explain the
situation with more refugees coming under attack.
''Jeez, talk about going back and forth,'' He said, if they had to go back down to the surface of Virnat. He was
wrong - seemed like there were still others who didn't make it off. But Salto was determined. He wanted to help everyone
he could.
''Then let's give 'em some hell.'' Sal grunted. ''And I just remembered I didn't pay that bartender for my drink,''
He added, feeling a little guilty.

Ashlins ears perked as the crewmen explained the situation.  She was weary,  not to sure if going back to Virnat was such a good idea. "Whoa,  hold on there. Didnt we just escape that place? I got half the fur on my side burned off trying to get out of there and we are going back?!" She huffed.

"Not to the surface," the crewman explained, "There are refugee shuttles being harassed by Tal Shiar forces in orbit. We just entered visual range."

"On screen," Trask commanded. Immediately, the situation was put on the viewscreen; a pair of T'Varo Light Warbirds were attacking a contingent of refugee shuttles.

"We're within weapons range," Tovan reported.

"Photon Torpedoes, full spread! Target the starboard warbird!" Trask barked. Though cloaked, the Retribution's Thunder fired a spread of torpedoes, impacting all around the starboard T'Varo's hull. It suffered a reactor breach and exploded, surprising his friend to port. "Target the other warbird, fire Kadgeron disruptors at will!" The Retribution's Thunder immediately slotted itself behind the other warbird and waylaid it with white disruptor pulses. One well-placed burst ripped off a wing. A torpedo burst finished off the T'Varo.

"Rest in pieces, bitch," Trask mumbled. He paused, then issued his orders. "Stand by to de-cloak; let's take these refugees in and get the hell out of here."

Sal stood up, back straight, as he watched the warship they were on pummel the Tal Shiar ships out of space.
''Wouldn't wanna be on their side,'' He thought, before snapping into action.
''Hey, Trask. I was wondering: D'you have a weapon that's similar to the old Five-Seven before we head out? The
reason I'm asking is because I favor one handed-weapons, that way I can carry my knife in the other. If you don't
have any, then I'm more than fine to keep carrying that rifle around.''

five_seven_large.png

(In case you don't know, the Five-Seven is a pistol that fires 5.7x28mm bullets in a 20-bullet magazine.
It's also my favorite weapon in CounterStrike)

Contented with merely watching the blips of the radar screens, coupled with flashes from other status monitors, Neil let out a sigh of relief.  He was pleased to be on what seemed to be the winning side, or at least the side that was still intact.  Scanning his eyes across the illuminated screens in curiosity, the amount of what he assumed to be pertinent information flashing across each display was staggering.  Aside from that one guy in the corner playing solitaire, of course.  Folding his arms and turning back upon hearing Sal's question, he couldn't miss the opportunity to comment.

"Hey, one-handed armament was my endearing character trait!" He cracked a grin before turning his gaze back to the canopy of the craft, to observe the visible expanse of space.

While the Retribution's Thunder picked up the refugees, Trask turned his head to face Sal. "Actually, I keep a well-stocked personal armory in my ready room; the Five-Seven is among my armaments, though not Kadgeron-Enhanced. Too archaic. You can use the Five-Seven if you so desire, but I'd advise keeping that disruptor rifle on you - even if you have it slung."

"Subadmiral, docking bay reports we have the last of the refugees," Tovan reported.

"Any other sensor contacts or other survivors in orbit?" Trask asked.

"Negative," Tovan answered.

"Then let's get the hell out of here," Trask ordered. "Maximum warp to the nearest safe haven."

"Aye, sir!" Helm responded. The Retribution's Thunder turned away from Virnat and entered warp. However, the moment they entered warp speed, they dropped out of it to the sight of another Elachi Warship:

Elachi_Dreadnought.png

"... Not good," Trask commented.

Ashlin watched as the destruction ensued, glad to see that Trask and his huge ship could take care of the problem and took in the refugees. "They better not touch my ship." She mummbled to herself.

She walked over to an empty wall and leaned against it while the Retribution's Thunder prepard to go into warp speed, still scratching at her bandage. A confused look flashes across her face as they dropped out spotting the other warship in the distance. "What the hell is that?"

"It's another Elachi Warship," Trask said.

"That's not just any Elachi warship - that's the same ship that raided the mining post!" Tovan realized.

"Open a channel," Trask commanded. "See if we can negotiate our release."

"Channel open, sir," Comms proclaimed.

"This is Subadmiral Trask Makron of the RRW Retribution's Thunder to Elachi Warship - release your warp inhibitor field. There are refugees aboard that need to be transported to safety," Trask said.

There was a pause, before the speakers crackled, and the team could hear Trask's voice saying what he'd just said, but garbled and marred by static. Unexpectedly, the Elachi warship released it's warp inhibitor field and disappeared. Not two seconds later, another ship de-cloaked:

D%27Deridex_class.jpg

"Who the hell...?!" Trask exclaimed.

"We're being hailed," Comms reported.

"On screen," Trask commanded.

"This is Colonel Hakeev to pitiful Romulan ship... you are finished. Virnat has been destroyed, and all survivors have been rounded up. Surrender, and you have my word, you will serve the Romulan Empire in a way that suits your station," the Romulan leader said.

"Well, I don't know if you've noticed, Hakeev, but we're in a Reman ship equipped with weapons you are ill-equipped to defend against. So with all due respect, Colonel... go fuck yourself," Trask responded.

"Good one," Tovan chuckled.

Hakeev frowned angrily. "Then you die--" he started. In a complete surprise, two of the same ship but with different insignias warped in.

"This is Admiral Temer of the Romulan Repiblic to any Virnat refugees - I am answering your distress call," another Romulan voice said over an open channel.

Trask frowned. "Romulan Republic...?" he murmured. He looked to Ashlin, Sal and Neil. "Mean anything to any of you?"

"Yeah, that's where my imaginary vacation home is," Neil deadpanned sarcastically as he glared at the now-revealed vessels before them.  Just as he thought they had escaped total annihilation, it would seem as if it were staring them in the face once again.  The majority of thoughts that swirled around in his head were focused around the unpleasant prospects that could result from their current circumstance, and he wasn't entirely thrilled with that fact.  At least they seemed to have some assistance handy, and thus outnumbered the threat by a significant margin. 

Ashlin shook her head. "Have no idea whatcha talkin about. Dont come to this system to often, so I have no affairs with these people....well any that I know of."

• 2 weeks later...

"Temer! How nice of you to join the party! Now I can slaughter the lot of you!" Hakeev chuckled.

"I wouldn't sound so smug, Hakeev," Temer suggested. "I kicked your ass last time, and you weren't outnumbered like you are now."

"You'll find my ship's capabilities have far increased since last we met! Close channel!" Hakeev exclaimed.

"He's powering weapons!" Tactical proclaimed.

"Engage the cloaking device, ready all weapons - target his power core, fire on my command," Trask ordered. The Retribution's Thunder shimmered into nothing, and weapons were armed as the ship accelerated to attack speed - right at Hakeev's ship.

• 2 weeks later...

''Nope, can't say I've heard of them,'' Sal replied when Trask asked him about the Romulan ship that had just
warped in. ''I'm not overly familiar with all this sci-fi stuff, to be honest.''
Sal looked out the window to see that as the communication ended, a laser cannon was charging up from the warship.
Sal exclaimed.
''Incoming!'' He shouted to the others, as the laser fired and hit the ship, rocking it hard. Sal kept his balance.
''Anything I can do to help?'' He asked.

The helmsman was knocked out of his seat by the explosion that rocked the ship and knocked himself out on the deck. "Sal - Take the helm! Keep us on his aft quarter! Computer, light up helm controls for novice pilot in accordance with my orders! Sal, just hit the buttons as they light up, in the order they light up! Tactical, Kadgeron Torpedoes, full spread!" Trask commanded.

The other two Romulan Warbirds from the Republic engaged Hakeev, and Hakeev likewise engaged them, apparently shifting his focus.

(I apologize for my disappearance. I was waiting for a response to this thread, and real life was being... quite a bitch.)