Blockland - That game where you build stuff.

BLOCKLAND!

Blockland is a singleplayer and Multiplayer sandbox game where you can build things in the game. If you have an idea that you want to build you can build it with lego-like bricks here in the game. Don't want to build but rather fight with other players? Got that for you. Want to modify the game to make more interesting? We've been there, and we have the most easiest way to add mods or "Add-Ons" is what their called to the game!

Blockland's v21 Trailer for steam keep in mind there is another trailer but it's outdated since the maps were removed in v21

Blockland was made by Eric "Badspot" Hartman back in 2003 out of sheer boredom making it the oldest building game there is before Roblox in 2005 and 2006 and Minecraft in 2009. It was initially released in 2007. Blockland was made on Torque which is an old game engine from 1999 only till v21 in 2012 did they added dynamic lighting (Shadders and Shadows) into the game and a day and night cycle.

The game is fairly simple with the controls using the WASD keys to move and the mouse to look around. There is a tutorial of sorts when go to "Start a Game" for the first time. Blockland gives you a selection of "gamemodes" of what to play, Freebuild to build anything in the game, Speedkart where you race other players to get to the finish line (with the greatest Vehicles physics of all time), Rampage where you click every brick on a random build to destroy them and get bigger each time you level up. There are more gamemodes but I think I'll leave that up to you folks.

Some people on Blockland are able "script" the game using wrench events, it basically like scripting only you're scripting a random brick or so to do something interesting and some people had actually made some neat things with wrench events.

(From I just read that this wasn't *entirely* evented but if Teneksi ever finds this thread and site, and sees this, I'm dead)

The game is easily modified, the mods here are called "Addons" and you can download addons from the Blockland Forums or Steam's community, or "Blockland Glass" (Which I found out is a replacement for Return to Blockland (RTB).) I'll have an instruction on how to add addons onto blockland.

Spoiler

BE SURE THE GAME IS TURNED OFF OTHERWISE WILL NOT WORK.

1. Download the Add-On files of your choice
  2. Go to "downloads" and find the Add-On, depending on the file It'll always say the type of the addon (Tool, face, Event, Lighting, Gamemode, Weapon, Vehicle, etc.) and the name of the addon.
  3. Open up document windows. Find "Blockland" folder and go to "Add-Ons"
  4. Click and drag the files onto the Add-On folder, It'll organize itself by the type of the Add-On
  5. Run Blockland and go to custom in "start a game"
  6. enable the addons you downloaded and start server
  7.  You have officially have add-ons on your Blockland server.

Now Blockland today is completely different than it was before v21. Originally it had maps called "Interiors and Terrains" which gives the player the feeling of being an actual mini-figure (Which Blockland was actually almost bought by Lego.)

What Blockland look liked before v21

Then on the Blockland Forums one of the admins who helped working on Blockland showed the community the dynamic lighting in the game but this of course meant the maps had to be removed. But basically, the update came and maps were removed for the better of Blockland (Maps were old and dynamic looked really bad on the maps) I joined Blockland during v19 So I got a chance to experience the maps. The game is about $5 bucks or so than it use to cost (which was $20 bucks) and is one of the few games that requires an "Authentic Key" which is given when you buy the game on either steam or the site itself Hopefully you guys will enjoy the game since I'm the *Only* Blockland player on the site here >_>' But with that, that's all! --Quadroline.

>Minecraft is better

>Roblox is cheaper

>Legos are real

Blockland is a horrible place why stay when other things are better?

1 hour ago, Dr. Orange said:

>Minecraft is better

>Roblox is cheaper

>Legos are real

Alright with all due respect, I understand you're hatred to the game (or community for lack of a better term) but let's get real here for a moment.

>Minecraft can make a computer go on life support if isn't a gaming computer

>Roblox's Community is *MUCH* worse than Blockland's

>Legos are real sure, but they're expensive as hell.

Blockland is the one of the few games that doesn't expect your computer to have some high tech graphic's card or whatever. Plus the Community is much smaller than you think (at least around 100 people per day) and I'm pretty sure I'll be a huge target here for saying this but Blockland's community is as just like ours; a dying community, wants more people to join, and roughly we're in the same age demographic even if they behave differently from ours.

That's all.

18 hours ago, Quadroline said:

>Minecraft can make a computer go on life support if isn't a gaming computer

>Roblox's Community is *MUCH* worse than Blockland's

>Legos are real sure, but they're expensive as hell.

>If your playing MC on ultra it can kill but low settings work just fine.

>Roblox community is shit but it's free. Free shit > paid shit

>And yeah legos are expensive I'll give you that one.

4 hours ago, Dr. Orange said:

>If your playing MC on ultra it can kill but low settings work just fine.

>Roblox community is shit but it's free. Free shit > paid shit

fe496b0c049f9238632e59a914855110.jpg

>Alright Minecraft, no matter if the settings are low or not it makes the computer have hard time processing the game without trying to crash, I know this because when I tried playing on Scraptop I could barely move. And this happens with my macbook when it loads the map or if I'm not active after a couple of minutes.

>Yeeeah coming from an 09'er (Joined Roblox since 2009) Roblox isn't really free. It's free to an extent but it limits Non-Builders Clubs players from using various things other players do;

https://en.help.roblox.com/hc/en-us/articles/203312570-What-Happens-When-a-Builders-Club-Membership-Expires-or-Is-Canceled

TL:DR This is what you lose/are limited to if you're a Non Builder Club/Free account.

Spoiler

• more places to create,
  • private servers/places,
  • mega servers,
  • Character esthetics (Unnecessarily),
  • Gear (Such as weapons, tools, esthetics... etc.)
  • Earning currency to buy stuff upon log in
  • The ability to Sell Stuff, such as T-shirts, pants, etc.
  • The ability to Create Groups
  • The ability to Create Badges
  • Access to the Trade System
  • Access to BC Beta Features
  • 70% of Paid Access salesRegular members receive 10% of sales

Dr. Orange I don't want to continue to debate about a mere game and trying to offering me alternatives. Please lets end this.

I've been there too. I've played the Roblox and the Minecraft. It's just hard to see justification for this game when the market for "block oriented building" games is wholeheartedly saturated beyond belief. Especially with games who have communities that are not hostile, who have their companies not abandon them (Badspot hasn't given a shit about Blockland since 2012...?) and has so many unprotected hardware bugs that it's a toaster with rats glued to it. This game has few, little redeeming qualities that can be easily substituted for other games.

4 hours ago, Dr. Orange said:

I've been there too. I've played the Roblox and the Minecraft. It's just hard to see justification for this game when the market for "block oriented building" games is wholeheartedly saturated beyond belief. Especially with games who have communities that are not hostile, who have their companies not abandon them (Badspot hasn't given a shit about Blockland since 2012...?) and has so many unprotected hardware bugs that it's a toaster with rats glued to it. This game has few, little redeeming qualities that can be easily substituted for other games.

You need to ignore the v21 part. They've been actually updating the game time to time through Revisions (r1345 - r1986) note that Rontondo and Kompressor (Other guys who worked on Blockland) have been working on the game as well.

Right now Blockland is in v21 r1986 which was recent actually.

https://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=302905.0

As for Badspot not caring, he has stated that working on Blockland hasn't been engaging and yeah some of the Blockland community are tired of him as well at times. And to be honest, maybe building or this game may not be for you but probably will be for the others. End of discussion.

5 hours ago, Quadroline said:

And to be honest, maybe building or this game may not be for you but probably will be for others. End of discussion.

Mate you can't just wave your hand and say end of discussion when someone disagrees. It's a thread, people will post and you may or may not agree. I'm just here to supply a counter viewpoint. I love building games like Terraria and Unturned but got to give a bigger warning on the community and the reletive state of the game.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dr. Orange said:

I'm just here to supply a counter viewpoint.

On 10/7/2016 at 9:25 PM, Dr. Orange said:

>Minecraft is better

>Roblox is cheaper

>Legos are real

Computer-Guy-Facepalm.jpg

Yes truly, because shooing people away from a game and belittling them for playing a game they have/never heard of or even barely just started playing and offering Alternatives is a counter viewpoint, Jesus Christ.

1 hour ago, Quadroline said:

Yes truly, because shooing people away from a game and belittling them for playing a game they have/never heard of or even barely just started playing and offering Alternatives is a counter viewpoint,

Yes it is.

It's an alternative to the focal point which, in turn, is Blockland.

And for reference I never belittled anyone or shooed them away in any of my older posts. I asked a question.

On 10/9/2016 at 4:44 PM, Quadroline said:

Yes truly, because shooing people away from a game and belittling them for playing a game they have/never heard of or even barely just started playing and offering Alternatives is a counter viewpoint, Jesus Christ.

Nowhere in his responses did Dr. Orange belittle anyone for playing Blockland.  He voiced his discontent with the game, which most certainly is a counter viewpoint to the positive perspective you hold toward it.  When discussing almost anything with similar products in its niche it is almost inevitable that those similar products get mentioned in the ensuing discussion.     

In fact, there was a decent discussion going prior to the most recent posts.  You posted why you enjoyed Blockland and found it appealing, Orange responded with an opposing opinion.  You both went on to clarify what caused you to form your opinions in the subsequent posts (e.g. Blockland isn't taxing on a PC's hardware, versus its lack of updates over a given period of time). 

Given the current status of this thread, however, I do believe a lock is in order.  In the future, be mindful of the fact that threads survive based upon similarities and differences in opinions, and the discussion that results (given that straight trolling isn't involved, mind you).

• OneUnder locked this topic