The 15 Greatest Gamcube Games

Guest Starguy24

steve shall be here to unleash the ban hammer

i am very scared right now

Naaah, the topic is talking about games and which games should be put in the list, going a little bit into some of those games, or discussing the ones that didn't make it to the list seems to be alright, don't worry  :P I'm not a warlord 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vy'drach

• Kursed

• X-Gamer

• Steve

Guest Starguy24

1242880578606147802.jpg

LEGO STAR WARS II: THE ORIGINAL TRILOGY

Release Date: 2006

Overall Score: 8.6

The original Lego Star Wars was surprisingly good: it was a fun and humorous take on the newer prequel films. The sequel followed suit, only this time improving some aspects of the gameplay. Some of the problems with LEGO Star Wars I included: a very short and easy main story, and not enough vehicle/spacecraft missions.

OK, so this one was still short and fairly easy, but there were a good variety of objectives. Now you could fly the Millenium Falcon over Endor and an X-Wing on the Death Star. Now the levels were a little more challenging and were filled with secret areas that you could only access with different characters in Free Play mode. I guess the makers of the game actually recognized the flaws in the original and sought out to fix them. Props to them.

I think the whole LEGO video game idea is humorous, but has turned a bit stale: while the ones like Batman and Indiana Jones were entertaining, some people were probably hoping 'wow, I hope this is the last one'. My point is that I'm glad there were only two LEGO Star Wars games, and that more weren't released soley for profit. It could've been done, but honestly, I don't know how many more of these I could play.

They were good while they lasted though.

IN SHORT: A fun sequel that improves upon the original.

1242880578606147802.jpg

The original Lego Star Wars was surprisingly good: it was a fun and humorous take on the newer prequel films. The sequel followed suit, only this time improving some aspects of the gameplay. Some of the problems with LEGO Star Wars I included: a very short and easy main story, and not enough vehicle/spacecraft missions.

OK, so this one was still short and fairly easy, but there were a good variety of objectives. Now you could fly the Millenium Falcon over Endor and an X-Wing on the Death Star. Now the levels were a little more challenging and were filled with secret areas that you could only access with different characters in Free Play mode. I guess the makers of the game actually recognized the flaws in the original and sought out to fix them. Props to them.

I think the whole LEGO video game idea is humorous, but has turned a bit stale: while the ones like Batman and Indiana Jones were entertaining, some people were probably hoping 'wow, I hope this is the last one'. My point is that I'm glad there were only two LEGO Star Wars games, and that more weren't released soley for profit. It could've been done, but honestly, I don't know how many more of these I could play.

Oh crap. I hate those games.

F-Zero and Timesplitters better be on this list somewhere. Else... nothing.

1242880578606147802.jpg

i prefure this one to the double pack.

Guest Starguy24

Heh, funny you should mention F-Zero Sabre....

2gumr8j.jpg

F-ZERO GX

Release Date: 2003

Overall Score: 8.7

What can be said about this one? For starters, how about the amazing graphics, or the exciting and challenging courses? Well, lets start with the first thing I mentioned. The crazy twistig and turning streets combined with the lights and excellent framerate (it runs at a perfect 60 fps) make for a pretty game.

The gameplay isn't like your typical racing game: there's actually a considerable amount of strategy involved. And not to mention the difficulty, this is no Mario Kart folks. You'll have a blast playing through it though. This is one of those games where you don't mind failing every now and then. Some of the level designs are a little annoying however.

I think the replay value here deserves a mention. What a ton of unlockables! And I've spent hours with my friends in the multi-player mode. Good stuff.

Up to this point it may seem like I have nothing but praise for F-Zero GX, yet it doesn't even crack the top 10. This just goes to show how many fantastic games there are for the Gamecube, and it's very hard to rank certain ones over others. This particular title is a good example of this: it's good, but all the other ones on the list are even better, even if some only by a hair.

IN SHORT: Solid racer with some really impressive graphics an excellent framerate.

Who has a problem with sunshine? The games physics are awesome! Just wall jumping could consume 2 hours of my total gameplay. It was refreshing, had a original but uniquely different storyline. I accually like it more than Galaxy.

F.L.U.D.D > random ass spin

Guest FoXXX

Who has a problem with sunshine? The games physics are awesome! Just wall jumping could consume 2 hours of my total gameplay. It was refreshing, had a original but uniquely different storyline. I accually like it more than Galaxy.

F.L.U.D.D > random ass spin

I thought it was great, me and my cousin spent hours on it. I remember the first time I played it through I had 119 stars and I only needed one more blue coin to get 120 shinesprites. Took me ages to find it :P

I absolutely loved F-Zero X, the N64 version. But for some reason, GX didn't get me tingling. Nothing I can put my finger on, it just sort of wasn't as good as X in my opinion.

I never played Super Mario Sunshine. One of the things that scared me a away I think was from the footage I saw, it seemed to have very little variety in the levels. It was all tropical, and I tought it would get very repetative with time.

I'm probably wrong, and it was, and still is, probably a great game. But I won't be going back to get it now, I'm far to busy with Galaxy.

Guest FoXXX

I absolutely loved F-Zero X, the N64 version. But for some reason, GX didn't get me tingling. Nothing I can put my finger on, it just sort of wasn't as good as X in my opinion.

I never played Super Mario Sunshine. One of the things that scared me a away I think was from the footage I saw, it seemed to have very little variety in the levels. It was all tropical, and I tought it would get very repetative with time.

I'm probably wrong, and it was, and still is, probably a great game. But I won't be going back to get it now, I'm far to busy with Galaxy.

For the most part, it's all tropical, except for a few levels, good game :)

I have Galaxy, but I haven't finished it, I really don't like it :S

Guest Starguy24

RE4 will probably be on the top 3, or else, this will be a biased list.

Who said it was supposed to be unbiased?  :D :D :P

lol

Guest Starguy24

Medal of Honor EA was a good game too

Yup it was....but was it good enought to warrant being put on the list?? That's the real question...

Oh and I ordered RE4 off the internet. I'll play it like crazy for the next few days then rank it. If it's as good as everyone says it'll be top 10 fo' sho'. I haven't played it in years and even then it was only for a few hours...

Guest FoXXX

Yup it was....but was it good enought to warrant being put on the list?? That's the real question...

Oh and I ordered RE4 off the internet. I'll play it like crazy for the next few days then rank it. If it's as good as everyone says it'll be top 10 fo' sho'. I haven't played it in years and even then it was only for a few hours...

inho it's good enough, however, I never got to play 15 GC games so I really wouldn't know about any others...

So basically this list is more personal than anything else?, gocha.

What else did you expect? It's not based on sales or anything.

One thing about F-zero I liked was that it was fair. There was no focus on perfect runs like most games. You don't have to come in first all the time like mario kart, as long as you average well you'll podeium, or win if you really do well.

Guest Starguy24

A quick word from your author......

When I started working on this list it was intended to be, as some put it, 'personal'. I'm not basing my choices off of influence, sales, etc. Every game is ranked based on what I think of it. If the other methods that I mentioned above were used, SMS would be higher because it's considered to be the best platformer on the GC. It's considered a classic. It's sold like crazy. But I don't think it's THAT great. Which is why it's at #14.

LEGO Star Wars is considered to be a fun game, but some people hate it. The highest I've seen it rated it an 8. Sometimes as low as a 5 or a 6. However, I really like it and I think it's very creative and entertaining. The whole concept was pretty cool. So that's why it's on the list.

A part of me thinks that you're all crazy for thinking that a list like this was going to be unbiased. Another part of me thinks I probably should take into account other things like influence and overall quality of a game instead of just ranking them because they're 'zomg uber awesome!!!". Then again, another part of me doesn't give a crap either way. That part says to do it the way I want to. I'll stick with that.

Anyway, this is already too long-winded and I think I'm confusing myself. #11 will be up soon. lol

Guest Starguy24

aeodi0.jpg

CALL OF DUTY 2: BIG RED ONE

Release Date: 2005

Overall Score: 8.7

The first Call of Duty for the Gamecube, Finest Hour, was a respectable first person shooter that provided an interesting take on WWII. But it didn't stop there: you could also spend time as a Russian soldier, a British soldier, and of course an American soldier. This showed the ordeals men and woman fighting for their country went through for their countries, and provided a different experience overall. Instead of the Tommy Gun you got to use a Mosin-Nagant, instead of storming the beaches of Normandy you stormed the beaches of Stalingrad.

It had it's fair share of problems, I felt as though sometimes the action was a little too frantic to be realistic, the characters all had to share screentime so you never really got to know the characters too well. Big Red One fixed these issues, the fighting was slowed down and the game centered around an unnamed American soldier and his squad. Now the game felt like a journey through differen countries, it felt....real. It was you and a few friends not only fighting for their country and trying to survive.

Graphically it doesn't hold up very well today, but for 2005 this was a nice looking game. The guns look identical to their real life counterparts and the sound is excellent. You should expect no less from a Call of Duty game anyway.

This is a sequel that definitely improves what was wrong with it's predesesscor. The action is more true to life and the story is more focused, and the end result a great game that's one of the best of the best war games on the GC

IN SHORT: Solid WWII for the GC, and better than Finest Hour