The 15 Greatest Gamcube Games

Guest Starguy24

Guest Starguy24

Just a heads up....I love RE4 so far but I'm going to go ahead and post the list the way I had it (without RE4). It's hard finding games to knock off the list especially the ones in the top 10....soooo....

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vy'drach

• Kursed

• X-Gamer

• Steve

Guest Starguy24

THE TOP 10!!!!

9tn1bq.jpg

PAPER MARIO: THE THOUSAND YEAR DOOR

Release Date: 2004

Overall Score: 8.8

When the first Paper Mario came out in 2001 critics praised it for not only the strategy involved in the seemingly simple combat system but for the visuals. Who knew paper could look so good in a video game?

The Thousand Year Door continues the Paper Mario series in appropriate fashion. I won't go into detail about the plot (the title should give you an idea what it's about), but I can tell you that it's surprisigly engaging, something you would't expect in a game like this. Everything in this game revolves around these three things: exploring, backtracking, and fighting. The first thing is also the best thing about The Thousand Year Door, it's very fun to just walk around the different levels and finding not only your next objective but also hidden items, characters and items.

But you'll also spend a good chunk of your time backtracking, which is the biggest flaw of the game. Then again, I'm not really sure if it's a flaw....but a few too many times you'll meet up with an enemy, not have the proper items to defeat it, and have to go all the way back to a store to purchase what you need. Don't have enough coins? Then you have to run around collecting coins. It's sort of a good because it forces you to be prepared for your often long journeys, but honestly it get's tiring.

The combat system is both simple and complex at the same time. You take turns wacking at each other, but you have to spend more and more time thinking before making a move as you get deeper into the game. Should you use fire flowers to soften up your opponent? Or just stick to classic jumping/hammering? What sidekick should you pick to fight alongside you? See what I mean?

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door takes some ideas from the Super Mario series and incorporates them in a fun and often challenging GameCube title.

IN SHORT: A long, hard yet entertaining entry into the Paper Mario Series.

Guest Starguy24

It sure was.

I can't really comment on the other two (Super Paper Mario, Paper Mario 1) because I haven't played them very much. I'm sure they're very good too, though.

Guest FoXXX

It sure was.

I can't really comment on the other two (Super Paper Mario, Paper Mario 1) because I haven't played them very much. I'm sure they're very good too, though.

I haven't played Paper Mario 1, but Super Paper Mario was good too, not as good as Paper Mario 2 though.

Guest Starguy24

SONIC DX/SONIC ADVENTURE

152np5j.png

Release Date: 2003

Overall Score: 8.9

Almost universally thought to be one of the best Dreamcast games, Sonic DX, the port, turns out to also be one of the best Gamecube games. I haven't actually played the Dreamcast version, but I'll assume the differences are minimal control wise, but having seen videos of it it seems as though the graphics have seen some polish and and some extra features have been added. But you shouldn't but this because of the cool new stuff....if you don't own the DC version, you should buy the GC version because it's a hell of a good time.

Some game mechanics don't work nearly as well as they did 11 years ago, in fact, the camera is broken by today's standards. The level design isn't as impressive either, though it's tolerable (more so than Sonic Adventure 2: Battle). But the core gameplay, playing as Sonic going at super fast speeds, is as fun as ever. It's amazing when your running through ridiculously crazy levels, doing loop-de-loops and destroying enemies in your path. It's completely easy to play, too. The controls are simple, control stick to move and A button to use the homing attack. Really, those are the only things you need to use the majority of the time. Sonic's story is full of action and high speed fun.

Except when you have to stop, that is. That's when the game slows down and takes a dip in quality, when you're forced by the game to take a complete hault mid-level for one reason or another. To find a key. A switch, or to beat up a group of enemies. I don't mind it that much, but the camera becomes your greatest enemy, and the urge to start moving again tugs at you constantly.

The other characters stories are a mixed bag: Tails' is generally speedy like Sonic, but Knuckles involves searching around for chaos emeralds (which isn't very fun but infinitely more tolerable than the emerald hunting in SA2). Amy's has you running away from a robot in shortened levels, but the whole being chased thing adds some nice tension to the game. Gamma's is a little generic, just shooting everything in your path, but he had the best storyline out of all the characters. Bigs' is....boring, to say the least

Graphically, SA1 is still pretty to look at. The characters are well modeled and the cinematic sequences are very impressive. It's easy to see why people were gushing all over this game when it first came out back in 1999. SM64 was considered a great looking game, then this one comes out three years later and blows it out of the water. Wow.

So given all it's flaws, by today's standards Sonic DX could easily be given a 5. It's camera system is broken. There's some annoying level design going on here. There are tons of glitches (I probably should've mentioned that earlier). Yet it has a certain charm I can't explain. It has a heart, a well thought out story and some really addictive gameplay. I think it's the best 3-D Sonic game out there.

Oh, and the soundtrack is awesome.

IN SHORT: A half mess, half great game that I love and one that everyone should own.

Guest Starguy24

I liked playing with different characters to see how their stories crossed.

That was cool. As much as some of them were meh gameplay wise there stories were interesting.

Guest Starguy24

STARFOX ASSAULT

5x33bm.jpg

Release Date: 2005

Overall Score: 9

So here's one that might start some controversy, depending on what I say about it. Right away I can say that Starfox Assaukt is one of the most underrated games on the Gamecube, and if this list was ranking the most underrated games, this would probably high on the list. It received some very harsh criticisms from critics for things that weren't as bad as they made them out to be. No, it's not the best game in the Starfox series, but it's still damn good.

After Adventures drew mixed reactions for changing the famous core gameplay, Assault goes back to the series roots. If you've played some of the earlier Starfox games you'll be right at home, because about half of them game is classic shoot-em-up style gamepay, where the only things really needed most of the time is the control stick and the fire button. It get's a load of replay value just because of this: you'll want to back on harder difficulties to get higher scores and show them off to your friends. There also some pretty intense boss battles thrown in there as well. Basically, the Arwing levels are like updated SF64 levels. They will not dissapoint long time fans of the series or casual gamers looking for a good time, because they're as fun as ever.

Unfortunately, Assault falters a bit when Fox steps out of the cockpit. Forget what you heard from anyone else: the on foot missions are not bad at all. In fact, they're pretty fun and don't have too many flaws. The controls are smooth and Fox runs at a nice quick pace, and the camera is only a problem when you're in a tight space with a bunch of enemies. I think the biggest problem here is the lack of variety. It's always 'destroy the designated targets' and 'keep the skies clear'. Some different objectives would of been nice, and would improved things dramatically. One other things is that they're simply not as  exhilirating as the flying missions. Still, they're fun and I don't mind playing through them, and it's neat to be able to use the Landmaster again.

Oh, and the game is way too short. If I went back and played it right now, I'd blast through in just a couple of hours. 10 missions with no alternate paths to take or anything? Come on!

The graphics are fantastic for the most part, but in particular the cinematic cutscenes (like the one right before the first level) look good enough to be in a movie. In-game graphics look sharp, though they could've used more detail. The animation is a little stiff sometimes as well, though it's not that big of an issue.

The music is one of my favorite parts of the game. Most of them are just updated versions from SF64, and they're done to perfection. From the opening theme, to Starwolf's slower but more more fitting theme,  to the very end, the music is top notch. When I think about it, the Starfox series has always had good music. So Assault continues that trend.

How did I do? Did I review Starfox Assault fairly, was I too easy, too biased, too harsh? Well, not to toot my own horn, but I didn't think I was any of those things. Assault is a great, great game with some memorable and nostalgic moments that will please fans of Starfox, but some weaker on foot missions a short main story hold it back. You have to admit however, #8 is a good spot for it. That's higher than SMS! Wow I hope IGN, Gamespot, NINTENDO, don't bite my head off if they see this.

IN SHORT: An excellent game with a good dose of classic Starfox action that's too short. Almost perfect....almost....

For my Gamecube games, I was always a big fan of Turok Evolution, it had very nice gameplay, the graphics were not bad, it used the "Son of Stone" story, had very nice weapons, a wide array of enemies, and there were several places where you could use choose to use tactics to complete an objective, such as infiltrating an enemy base by going in guns blazing, or you could take out tower guards and their spotlights and covertly enter it via other entrances. And nothing beats your first encounter with a T-rex in that game. And also, its one of the games that is still fun with cheats activated, put on infinite health and ammo, and get the Gravity Disruptor (Almost like the gravity gun from Half-Life 2, but better), pick up an enemy with it, and slide him back and forth across a chain link fence, can you say super cheese grater?

That, and it was responsible for this awesome artwork.

art5.jpg

Now that man, is a bonafide bad ass.

Guest Matt macdowel

For my Gamecube games, I was always a big fan of Turok Evolution, it had very nice gameplay, the graphics were not bad, it used the "Son of Stone" story, had very nice weapons, a wide array of enemies, and there were several places where you could use choose to use tactics to complete an objective, such as infiltrating an enemy base by going in guns blazing, or you could take out tower guards and their spotlights and covertly enter it via other entrances. And nothing beats your first encounter with a T-rex in that game. And also, its one of the games that is still fun with cheats activated, put on infinite health and ammo, and get the Gravity Disruptor (Almost like the gravity gun from Half-Life 2, but better), pick up an enemy with it, and slide him back and forth across a chain link fence, can you say super cheese grater?

That, and it was responsible for this awesome artwork.

art5.jpg

Now that man, is a bonafide bad ass.

man i was confused on turok story line i thought u played as tail set!

man i was confused on turok story line i thought u played as tail set!

Each Turok had a different Son of Stone, the first one, Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, was Tal'Set, then there was Joshua Fireseed in Turok 2: Seeds of Evil, and Danielle or Joseph Fireseed (You can unlock playing as Joshua by beating the game on the hardest difficulty without dying or using cheats) in Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion, Turok: Evolution had another guy named Tal'Set, not the original one however, but he did become the son of stone, or perhaps it was a prequel to the original Turok, and the latest Turok, which was a disgrace to the series, did away with the Son of Stone story, and you wind up as a random ex-special forces guy named Turok..

Guest Matt macdowel

Each Turok had a different Son of Stone, the first one, Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, was Tal'Set, then there was Joshua Fireseed in Turok 2: Seeds of Evil, and Danielle or Joseph Fireseed (You can unlock playing as Joshua by beating the game on the hardest difficulty without dying or using cheats) in Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion, Turok: Evolution had another guy named Tal'Set, not the original one however, but he did become the son of stone, or perhaps it was a prequel to the original Turok, and the latest Turok, which was a disgrace to the series, did away with the Son of Stone story, and you wind up as a random ex-special forces guy named Turok..

well in the new one you play as a new turok and in evoultion i kept getting confuse becuase it say turok like in cutsences but when i  diead it said Tail set has diead and btw is tail set the same tail set in turok rage wars?

Not sure, Rage Wars isn't really a canon story game, its just a Turok version of Quake Arena and such, only real purpose is multiplayer, even single player is just multiplayer with bots, and Turok itself is a title, not a name.

Guest Matt macdowel

Not sure, Rage Wars isn't really a canon story game, its just a Turok version of Quake Arena and such, only real purpose is multiplayer, even single player is just multiplayer with bots, and Turok itself is a title, not a name.

its a good game but still i got confused because tail set looked different and witch turok did u play in rage wars well u could play as!

The Turok series has had three people named Tal'Set, it isn't necessarily the same person, and when it came to me in Turok: Rage Wars, I played as the Raptor, that's a fun thing to play as.

Guest Matt macdowel

The Turok series has had three people named Tal'Set, it isn't necessarily the same person, and when it came to me in Turok: Rage Wars, I played as the Raptor, that's a fun thing to play as.

lol yeah the only turoks i ever played were rage wars, dinisour hunter a little of that, Turok 6 and evoultion

SF Assualt was the best SF game I've ever played. Awesome music, and excellent multiplayer. I expect the next SF to be at least as good as SF Assualt.