The protests in Egypt

"User"

By now I'm sure most of the politically inclined or anyone who has really taken a look at their local newspaper lately will have heard of the protests in Egypt, now in their 17th day I believe, that have paralyzed the country of 80-90 million. Egypt, an important U.S. ally in the Middle East has been under a lot of pressure by young and to a large degree secular protesters that have called for the removal Hosni Mubarak, the leader of Egypt for roughly the last 30 years and who has amassed a fortune for his family that runs in the billions while ignoring the citizens well being (40% live under the poverty line set by the World Food Bank of $2 a day). It's been an ongoing drama that started out peacefully than got violent as pro government thugs appeared to come out of no where and attack the pro-democracy crowd and now in the last day or two large amounts of workers on going on struck all over the country.

The protesters have one goal, and that is to force Hosni Mubarak to resign immediately, they will not leave until this is accomplished. The country's military (10th largest in the world btw) apparently is completely disillusioned by Mubarak and are more so favoring the protesters, whose demands they called reasonably legitimate. Don't be surprised if they run a coup.

Hosni Mubarak has been a steadfast U.S. ally for decades, as Egypt was one of the first nations to sign a peace treaty with Israel (Jordan would later follow) to help keep the peace in the middle east but the fear for Israel is that Egypt becomes more radical, especially with the Muslim Brotherhood potentially emerging as the governing party if new elections are held. They don't have majority support but currently have the most support out of any one group - even though the group is technically banned.

What are your thoughts on the whole thing? Mubarak IMO needs to step down immediately, his claims that chaos would erupt if he stepped down right away is ridiculous as the entire country more or less is in a state of upheaval. The demands of the protesters should be met and for sure they aren't going to leave until he resigns. However, the last thing anyone in the Western World wants is more turmoil in the Middle East...don't want to have to send more troops there in case war breaks out against Israel or something. :/

I agree with, he needs to step down. Although I heard the Muslim Brotherhood are just trying to jump in and gain popularity.

And I also heard the military is actually split on the entire thing.

To be honest, I don't follow the news and only heard about this when they locked down the internet to try and stop the protests. I don't know enough to make an informed oppinion, but my interest in this issue is soley on if a revolution is even possable in modern times. Before I would have said no as the army/police would just gun everyone down, but that doesn't seem to be happening.

Tip for Mumbarak: If a notable amount of your citizens and even some of your own military want you out, it's probably wise to leave before you're assassinated :lol:

Although I do hope he eventually leaves/is forced out WITHOUT military intervention from the West.

Tip for Mumbarak: If a notable amount of your citizens and even some of your own military want you out, it's probably wise to leave before you're assassinated :lol:

Although I do hope he eventually leaves/is forced out WITHOUT military intervention from the West.

yeah, that would be nice. In my opinion, we need to stop helping everyone so much. Half the people we've trained or helped usually hate us in matter of time and it like, "Why bother?"

Sure we police the world to "make it safe" , but it would be nice if everyone could solve their problems themselves instead of needing someone to hold their hand all the time.

but it would be nice if everyone could solve their problems themselves instead of needing someone to hold their hand all the time.

Look at most of the other industrialized nations; France, England, Russia, China, etc, they're doing fine :). And everyone (& everything) will always need some form of help in one way or another, it's just not beneficial to attempt to help EVERYONE in our current state.

Look at most of the other industrialized nations; France, England, Russia, China, etc, they're doing fine :). And everyone (& everything) will always need some form of help in one way or another, it's just not beneficial to attempt to help EVERYONE in our current state.

THEY ARNET DOING ANYTHING! We had to pressurethem to help in the "war" right now! They tdidnt even want to be in it in the first place! Here one of the was i lok at it: Everyone hates us, yet when everything hits the shits or something where do the fingers get pointed?! "Hey USA, go do the shit for us while we watch!" Its like we're the Maid/Butler of the world We just cleaned up one mess, can the world stay un-$@#^ed-up for five minutes?! sheesh...its like every we look, the damn planet is falling apart all around us and no one wants to do anything about but US! I think i need to calm down or something....

THEY ARNET DOING ANYTHING! We had to pressurethem to help in the "war" right now! They tdidnt even want to be in it in the first place! Here one of the was i lok at it: Everyone hates us, yet when everything hits the shits or something where do the fingers get pointed?! "Hey USA, go do the shit for us while we watch!" Its like we're the Maid/Butler of the world We just cleaned up one mess, can the world stay un-$@#^ed-up for five minutes?! sheesh...its like every we look, the damn planet is falling apart all around us and no one wants to do anything about but US! I think i need to calm down or something....

Trust me, I'm sure that other countries are tied up in a load right now that we can't perceive, living in the U.S. and all. I admit, the United States may have been better in certain situations by leaving them alone, but we really only help in things that help our personal interests as a country.

__

Oh, and Mumbarak seriously needs to consider his resignation; for as long as he stays in office there is bound to be conflict.

Trust me, I'm sure that other countries are tied up in a load right now that we can't perceive, living in the U.S. and all. I admit, the United States may have been better in certain situations by leaving them alone, but we really only help in things that help our personal interests as a country.

__

Oh, and Mumbarak seriously needs to consider his resignation; for as long as he stays in office there is bound to be conflict.

A. Yeah, i understand the personal interests, but why is it soo hard?

B. Pardon my Language, but It' more like Mumbarak needs a foot us his @$$. Sooner or later he'll get the message that he WILL need to step down and if not, he will learn it the hard way-dead or alive.

I will try and answer this critism in a general sence. The US is gung ho with it's army and likes to stick it's nose into everything even when it's not wanted. However, when shit hits fan, and nations ask if anyone would like to help, it can be suprising when they say "Nah, we'll sit this one out thanks."

On it's own, this is nothing special. Loads of countrys sit out of fights they are not interested in. However, America and alot of it's people have the RPG character flaw of "Heroic". In other words, whereas other nations are indiffrent, Americas get upset when they can't be the hero.

Also, if you assume America cleans up the world, you are mistaken, the world is never "un-fucked". You might clean the house, but there might be a bit of bust in the loft you don't know or care about for example. Chances are other nations are also doing stuff you are unaware of. I can't believe I'm using this as an example, but take the story of Modern Warfare. America is putting on a big showy war, but it's the other nations working behind the scenes that are getting the job done.

TL:DR? No offence, but America has a bit of an ego problem. That's why it feels like you are the only ones doing anything and feel as if you are being harshly judged. Other nations have the same critisms and expections, minus the USA's gung ho war loving reputation, they just don't give a toss.

I will try and answer this critism in a general sence. The US is gung ho with it's army and likes to stick it's nose into everything even when it's not wanted. However, when shit hits fan, and nations ask if anyone would like to help, it can be suprising when they say "Nah, we'll sit this one out thanks."

On it's own, this is nothing special. Loads of countrys sit out of fights they are not interested in. However, America and alot of it's people have the RPG character flaw of "Heroic". In other words, whereas other nations are indiffrent, Americas get upset when they can't be the hero.

Also, if you assume America cleans up the world, you are mistaken, the world is never "un-fucked". You might clean the house, but there might be a bit of bust in the loft you don't know or care about for example. Chances are other nations are also doing stuff you are unaware of. I can't believe I'm using this as an example, but take the story of Modern Warfare. America is putting on a big showy war, but it's the other nations working behind the scenes that are getting the job done.

TL:DR? No offence, but America has a bit of an ego problem. That's why it feels like you are the only ones doing anything and feel as if you are being harshly judged. Other nations have the same critisms and expections, minus the USA's gung ho war loving reputation, they just don't give a toss.

ehh..i guess you make a good point...i have to hink about it...

Will its offical, the guy resigned. Military is controlling the country until they setup a new government with the protesters.

hopefully nothing "Stupid" happens within that time....

I doubt that.

Secondly, even though the military was on the "same side" as the protesters throughout this entire ordeal I am doubtful that "nothing will happen".

makes me feel proud to see people like this are standing up for their rights.

1297483608024.jpg

Hopefully democracy will spread into other middle eastern countries as well as a result of this.

Btw, your avatar is smoking hot. :)

Does he have a massive pork chop attached to his head?

i was about to ask nearly the same question ! ^_^

(im sure he has a reason though...mabye not a carrying case or something...?)

Well lads, Mubarek has promised to step down. Anythoughts?

Actions speak louder than words; I'll believe it when he actually does.......if he has not already :P

Well lads, Mubarek has promised to step down. Anythoughts?

All i have to say: "It's about bloofy time, and i hope we dont have to help them."

We've already got enough crap to deal with as it is.

OH NOES,A TOURIST SPOT HAS GONE UP IN SMOKE!

It was probably an American tourist hotbed...people from the middle east generally aren't fond of Americans. :trollface:

All in all I'm glad Mubarak's gone. With him out of the picture I'm certain democracy will spread to other Middle Eastern countries as time goes on, and then we'll finally be rid of crisis' in that area.