Star Fox in Do or Die Situation...

GameMasterGuy

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/29187/miyamoto-star-fox-will-be-reborn-if-people-buy-3ds-remake/

According to this site, Starfox will be reborn if Starfox 64 3DS sells well. However, it looks as if the series could end if sales are poor on this game.

Yeah, its great that StarFox is making a come-back. Lets hope it sells well and not sputter and die like the Roman Empire ;)

Guest Mr. Nintendo

Well, if this doesn't sell well, then there will be no comeback. That'll be the end.

I don't believe it will be the end, maybe wait around 4-10 years, I'm sure we'll get something Starfox related...don't give up, even if SF64 3D doesn't sell well. (Hey Nintendo, where's my F-Zero sequel, hmm?!?)

Miyamoto said the same thing about Zelda and OoT 3D.

I wouldn't put too much stock into it. Miyamoto says things he doesn't mean. Case in point: In the back of the SF64 guide, there was an interview with him where he said he wasn't attached to Star Fox when questioned about sequels. There have been three since, excluding SF643D.

Yeah, he's kind of an old geezer! He says that to make the core fanbase buy the game even those who said remakes sucks! :P

I'll buy this game on my own terms -- thank you very much, Miyamoto!

...>_>"

But seriously, there's no need for concern: pre-order sales look good after two straight weeks and Japan's sales are solid. Plus, a lot of other hot games are following this title (like Super Mario 3D, Mario Kart, etc.) and do I even need to mention the 3DS's radical price-cut? With Star Fox, Mario titles and all for a less-expensive system, I just might be able to convince some kids at school to shell out for 'em!

If you guys remember Star Fox 64's first week in the States, it sold over 300,000 its first week -- significantly larger sales than in Japan (a lonely 75,000)! I'm confident those 300,000 -- or most of them -- are excited for this; that's based on the first five days the its release ALONE -- think about it! We're just scraping the iceberg of this game's potential success!

Granted, Star Fox's popularity may have been 'slightly skewed', but can't you imagine people who grew up with it wanting to buy it now (like yours truly), supporting their favorite games as kids so that generations after them can enjoy Star Fox too -- and as it should be?

What if some of these fans are actually parents now, buying their kids this game; parents giving their kids a chance to see their childhood games relished without ignorance or discrimination (since most youth these days is in the HD mindset... stupid kids)! Make 'em talk around school how "radical" and "groovy" this game is, and flock a whole new battalion of Star Fox fans!

Take-off won't be easy: both sides need to have faith in this. Nintendo needs marketing campaigns to be popping up here soon, and consumers need to be coaxed into buying a 3DS again (I'm sure the above-mentioned price-cuts covered that).

Just... stop the mass hysteria and go buy it already. xP

It certainly suggests a complete reboot of the series, of course it may also be bad translation but there is other evidence around a reboot. In an interview I mentioned in the main thread, Miyamoto said that they had tried various things with the series in later sequels (Adventures), but were looking as using 64 3D as a way to bring the series back to it's roots. This suggests to me that if it does well, he is interested in making some "classic style" Starfox games.

One point I always find odd is when people say that he Is either unaffectionate or unenthusiastic about the series as a whole. He may have said that in an early interview, but I do think that Miyamoto cares about the franchise. In that controversial interview in 2009, he said "I'm a big fan of the Star Fox games, and sometimes I wish people enjoyed them as much as I do". Concrete proof that he does has enthusiasm for the series, yes he is disappointed that it hasn't sold well in recent years, but he certainly has affections for it, not to mention all it needs to bring the fans in is a decent game, as 2009 was 3 years after Command and 4 after Assault, hardly shining examples of what Star Fox is about.

I think that Nintendo are definitely interested and would approach a new game with enthusiasm. They are a business however, and sadly if a product doesn't sell well then any money spent developing sequels is unlikely to be returned so it's not financially viable. It's all simple economics, and the fact Miyamoto has admitted this makes me think he wants as many new people as possible to experience the game :D

I want a prequal, i want to play james yo' what really happened with him! We need some answers! But if they really wanted sales on the game they would have put it on a real system not on a portable.

If it does reboot, I hope that the series will be more like the two SNES games... but still with Krystal :P

I am BEGGING for that! I don't care if its a reboot just keep Krystal! :panic:

If Nintendo was to remake the whole thing, I think they'd rather make things "right", and use only characters they created (and would create) themselves...

Krystal's a kind of symbol of the Starfox fan-base indeed, but it's also a strong point of division, and it's Rare's as well.

If Nintendo was to remake the whole thing, I think they'd rather make things "right", and use only characters they created (and would create) themselves...

Krystal's a kind of symbol of the Starfox fan-base indeed, but it's also a strong point of division, and it's Rare's as well.

I thought Nintendo had full rights to Krystal as shown that she was in a Namco developed game.

Anyway thats a little bit off topic. :offtopic:

I believe they do, but still... That'd be a fresh start without her. And that could mean the "return" of Fay/Miyu, character developped by Nintendo/Q-Games! ;)

/EndOfOffTopic

Yes replace krystal with myu. do it now. Reboot!

Anyways do or die sounds more to me like, BUY BUY BUY!

I believe they do, but still... That'd be a fresh start without her. And that could mean the "return" of Fay/Miyu, character developped by Nintendo/Q-Games! ;)

/EndOfOffTopic

Or they could use better writers and make her a more likable and well developed supporting character, while still bringing back Myu and Fay. Everybody wins!

• 2 weeks later...

In Games i read that if the game doesn't sell so well... this will be the last StarFox game ever made. Which is the worst that can ever happen! How can Miyamoto say something like that?!

Guest Mr. Nintendo

How can Miyamoto say something like that?!

My possible answers:

A. He's out of his mind.

B. Since Starfox isn't exactly a money-maker to Nintendo, he'll think its for the best.

C. No reason.

D. I guess they want to be like Crapcom. (Cancel or don't make one of our favorite franchises, ever.)

If Miyamoto really thinks that way, he should make a brand new final game with a title like: The Beginning of the End. Where Fox finally finds out if his dad is or isn't alive. When he wants to end the series. He'd better do it good.

I do think that people are taking his claims a little seriously, after all, he said the same about Ocarina of Time 3D and thats critically speaking "the greatest game ever made".

To say Starfox doesn't make money for Nintendo is a bit of a bold claim, yes, in recent years it hadn't exactly been a huge moneyspinner, but that's because 1) there haven't been any games in 5 years, and 2) The last 2 games released received very "meh" reception. Sure, it's not a cash cow like Mario or Zelda or Sonic where any old crap will sell, but the general rule is that if you put out a good game that's well received, people will buy it. I care to mention the fact that you see some games that sell far less than Starfox get multiple sequels, so it's literally a case of Nintendo being so hell bent on the success of stuff like Mario that they see anything less as a failiure.

It would be like James Cameron turning round and saying "nobody Is allowed to make any Terminator sequels because Avatar had much stronger sales", Starfox sold VERY well by game standards back in 1993 and 1997, Nintendo just need to realise that their success is not always about producing a merchandise cash cow. If crappy Kinect shovelware titles can get a sequel, why is it that Starfox is so vulnerable?

It would be very fast ending O.o. Idk why but if Miyamoto indeed wants to end it, he should make it the best outta all.

• 4 months later...

On the note of characters, while I like the character enough to see her pop up in future games, Krystal is really only hugely popular on the western side of the pond. She's not as well recieved in Japan, though not neccesarily hated, either, from what I've seen from a few of the series geeks I've had the pleasure to speak to. I think if the series is rebooting, Krystal would need the most work, but I know a huge section of fans would be pretty stung to see her replaced or outright forgotten. (Look at her bizarre roll in Command. The creators needed her out of the forefront, but couldn't get rid of her, either!)

I like her, and I prefer her as the token chick way more than Kat, who is very flat and cheap as far a female characters go. (Hell, she needs work, too!)

Okay, so what I want is character development, apparently.

Anyway, SF643D has sold well and was smiled upon critically, so I doubt the series is dead.