Are you a Mac or PC?

Dr. Orange

Mac or PC?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Mac or PC.

• PC (Microsoft Windows)
    • Mac (Apple)
    • Other.

What the hell would you use that kind of computer for kage? Thing's got more computing power than the Death Star.

No one needs 64 GB of RAM for home use. >_<

It's much better to just get 16 GB of high end DDR3 ram instead. Too many people look at the total amount of RAM without even considering the speed of the RAM itself.

I just did it to prove a point. But maybe at some point if I have 3,000 dollars to burn I'll get it >=)

Actually, when you do medical imagery or simulation, you could need that much RAM...

'Cause you know, even if 10~30k$ looks expensive, it's still a drop compared to even the smallest of super-calculators!

But the point was, I was building computers with ridiculous specs to prove the point that Macs are extremely overpriced, and they're sucking you dry for each part you buy.

You pay durability and QA as well you know.

Especially with such enormous specs, you can't just assemble random parts and hope it lasts long. Whatever unfortunate happenings occured with Dras' friends' Macbooks, I can assure Mac Pro workstations are much more reliable and pass through much tighter quality checks.

Having the right to call certifications for your hardware/software costs too.

I agree, it's still very expensive for what it is, but what the heck... As long as people buy them at these prices... :P

But that's just why I don't like Macs, besides my father and the almost zero support for games, they're really really freaking expensive.

You know, you can run a Windows OS on a Mac. It works just as fine as on a PC. Games support has been positively pushed forward recently and if it's not enough, just boot up some Windows.

You know, you can run a Windows OS on a Mac. It works just as fine as on a PC. Games support has been positively pushed forward recently and if it's not enough, just boot up some Windows.

So I'd spend more money on a computer just to use an OS that comes with a computer I'd spend less money on?

Wat8.jpg?1315930535

So I'd spend more money on a computer just to use an OS that comes with a computer I'd spend less money on?

Wat8.jpg?1315930535

absoulutly nothing but lets say i order a windows computer and have the disks to my old mac os and prefer the operating system. then bam! i have a mac

Dras>

No the point is to be able to run a Windows OS if you need it. Computers these days can smoothly execute their host OS and at least one other OS in a Virtual Machine, so you don't even have to pay for the licence.

AJC>

No you can't directly do this. Because Mac OS X is made to use specified sets of components, a specific keyboard, trackpad, etc... Even in a VM, that's a bit tricky, especially with version of Mac OS X only running on Power PC architectures.

That fact is one of the great force of the Macs family of products. If Apple develop software for a limited range of perfectly known components, they can optimize it for the precise hardware they use. The downside is that it is tricky to customize components, but you can still upgrade RAM, change the hard-drive and do other common basic swaps yourself. Windows, in order to be widespread on markets needs to be compatible/compliant with a wide range of components and technologies, something that includes large sets of drivers and generic handling routines that lower overall performances and reliability.

The same contrast can be observed with iOS and Android applications. On one side a perfectly well-known proprietary optimized developing environment, on the other an open-source, but hardly maintainable community.

Dras>

No the point is to be able to run a Windows OS if you need it. Computers these days can smoothly execute their host OS and at least one other OS in a Virtual Machine, so you don't even have to pay for the licence.

I know that. I was just posting a creepy granny macro at the idea of buying a computer and then proceeding to use an OS on it that you could have gotten for far less money.

The point we're trying to make is that Macs are just too expensive and for what? Extra support? Ability to run Windows? Constant freezing? I'm not sure what makes Macs better

I've always used a PC and am used to using one. Macs are far too over priced without offering anything to make me want to switch to using one instead of using a PC that works well for me and is a much better price.