My place

sjrathbun812

Gosh! :o

I'm jealous you do something constructive with your time unlike myself sitting around doing nothing. 

Hehe, thanks, but believe me, I still do a lot of sitting around doing nothing of much value myself. ;)

Also thanks Crazy! ^_^

10/08/2013

--

Recently started playing Yoshi's Island again. I used to play it so much when I was younger. This particular Yoshi game is excellent. There's so much skill involved, and the game gets progressively more difficult as you go through it. I enjoy Nintendo's recent platformers, but I wish they were more hard core like in their early days...

--

Might post more later,

Wolf Fang

• 2 weeks later...

10/21/2013

Hello again,

~~

Kind of need to unload on stuff that's on my mind, the primary topic being my knowledge of history and history in general.

I don't get very engrossed in history, to be honest. If I read historical books my mind will almost always wander into nearly anything and everything other than the very thing I'm reading. This can be very irritating when I'm trying hard to focus. It will happen with other subjects as well, but the fact that I don't find history quite as gripping as other subjects makes it even worse. Granted, there are things in history that I like, and probably the most compelling reason for me to do history is simply because it's enlightening. I certainly don't want to be an ignoramus when I grow up. Despite that, history is still quite dull for me. Moreover, it's hard.

It's not memorizing dates that frustrates me (I've been spared such pointless torture,) but rather that my knowledge of history in general is not very wide. This makes it difficult for me to learn historical--well, anything--because it's almost always explained relative to other historical facts. It's like trying to figure out what X is. Then you find out that X is defined in terms of Y. So in order to find X, you must first discover Y. But wait, Y also is defined in terms of Z. Basically, if I try and learn one thing in history, it results in a chain reaction of other things I have to know in order to comprehend anything.

Even so, I still regard history as a serious subject. Even though it's hard, and I don't really like it, I still want to press through it in the hopes that in the future, I might know a few things and will not be considered an idiot amongst my peers.  :/

10/21/2013

I might have included this in my previous post, but perhaps it's better if these two things are separate.

~~

You might notice that this particular journal is rather shallow. By that, I mean that I talk about my activities, share things I've made, and that's about it. I hardly mention things about my personality, trials I've gone through that were and are very much real, and just my thoughts on many matters. I have good reasons for that. First and foremost of them all being security and privacy reasons that I will not go into detail about.

"Why did you make this journal, then," you might wonder? Well, I DID want to share some things about me. But only some, and I feel, personally, that I have kind of gone overboard at times and have shared things that really make me feel embarrassed and insecure. I've pondered editing those posts into nothing, but, people have already seen them, so at this point I've decided to just shrug my shoulders, forget about it, and avoid making the same mistakes.

In conclusion, I will let people know a few things about me, but I try to refrain from gushing anything that's really meaningful and just letting it loose on the Internet for anyone to see. Perhaps some of you understand.

10/21/2013

Hello again,

~~

Kind of need to unload on stuff that's on my mind, the primary topic being my knowledge of history and history in general.

I don't get very engrossed in history, to be honest. If I read historical books my mind will almost always wander into nearly anything and everything other than the very thing I'm reading. This can be very irritating when I'm trying hard to focus. It will happen with other subjects as well, but the fact that I don't find history quite as gripping as other subjects makes it even worse. Granted, there are things in history that I like, and probably the most compelling reason for me to do history is simply because it's enlightening. I certainly don't want to be an ignoramus when I grow up. Despite that, history is still quite dull for me. Moreover, it's hard.

It's not memorizing dates that frustrates me (I've been spared such pointless torture,) but rather that my knowledge of history in general is not very wide. This makes it difficult for me to learn historical--well, anything--because it's almost always explained relative to other historical facts. It's like trying to figure out what X is. Then you find out that X is defined in terms of Y. So in order to find X, you must first discover Y. But wait, Y also is defined in terms of Z. Basically, if I try and learn one thing in history, it results in a chain reaction of other things I have to know in order to comprehend anything.

Even so, I still regard history as a serious subject. Even though it's hard, and I don't really like it, I still want to press through it in the hopes that in the future, I might know a few things and will not be considered an idiot amongst my peers.  :/

I consider myself well versed in history. And to be honest, with no disrespect intended, I've noticed it easier to be picked up by guys. Weather its due the appeal to our violent nature or we're just hardwired differently, males just tend to take an outside interest in history.

I'm some what sure being "good" at history is reliant upon realizing its importance, but its also just appreciating it. And that's not something voluntarily done, but if I might suggest how one would go at it I'd aim at satisfying enjoyment. So to start from the beginning I always loved sword fights and tales of heroism are conquerors. Naturally then was easy for me to appreciate wars in history class, they appealed to me. But history isn't just war and despite my avid ability to learn the conflicting parts about it I was conversely terrible at topics like the great depression or the industrial revolution( so are most people). Slowly though my interest began to grow as passed the young ages of 10 and the various other parts of history I began to enjoy. What makes me successful in my current history courses isn't my devotion to pound it into my skull or eat my text book, its to appreciate and personalize that knowledge. I can't say it works all the time, I still can't tell you the year women were given the right to vote!

I realize, also, that its hard to find passion then in a lot of these topics. While you certainly can't go back to your child hood and change what you enjoy fundamentally you can still find something about these periods that's prevalent to you, and that makes it all the easier to remember. In my own class we recently learned about the conflicts of the early federalist vs democratic-republican parties. I may never find a reason to use any of what I learned, but I was able to make it important by placing myself in that conflict. Was I a federalist or a republican I asked myself? Well federalist believed only those with land should be able to vote(believe it or not , but not all white men could vote after the American revolution), and that a bill of rights wasn't necessary. Well I asked myself where I would have sided and so forth. All of a sudden the topic become prevent when you place it in the moment, and much much easier to remember .

Finally its good hear history from as many sources as you can manage. Often times just even how it is said can reflect on how well you remember it. And my own personal choice are these videos.

I find history in general to be an enthralling subject  at times; but as far as the specific dates are concerned?  Not at all.  They always say that if we fail to understand history, we are bound to repeat our mistakes in the future.  So what are dates important for if you are not an avid historian?  So long as we understand the general chronological position of events in time and their significance to the course of events and how we got to where we are.  Of course, history teachers and school will disagree for reasons I don't feel like understanding personally..but that's just me and I am a person who likes to see things as a matter of function and utility.  Perhaps what might help you to direct your attention to historical events would be to relate it to events around you now that you are interested in (personally: I find some theories of governance interesting, bringing me back to understand the French Revolution, or perhaps studying race relations could bring you back a loooong ways away and also into social policy/psychology).  It is the realization that things are tied together through time that makes it a bit more interesting to me, and that cause/effect is very much the name of the game.  

Re-looking over your comments, Wolf, I find it interesting that maybe you are facing the overwhelming amount of information that exist on a single topic because you never have only one point of view that will tell he story straight.  Unfortunately this is just the way it works and it takes time to understand - even more time to understand if you are studying it from the "winners" point of view.  

Anyways, I guess to wrap it up, a lack of knowledge in history isn't an indicator of your intelligence - maybe just ignorance (and that is always forgiveable since we only have so much time on this planet to spend on anything, spend it wisely).  Work through school the best you can and either you will develop a sense of significance towards history or not - but don't think a lack of knowledge makes you stupid.  There are plenty of other things to be good at that you have to spend time on; it is just prioritization that puts some topics above others.  

Also, it is perfectly fine to not spill everything.  I certainly fear the overshare, which is why I usually try to only share through being questioned.  Secondly, I think it is important to work through some things on your own every once in a while so you can personally grow from it.  I'm sure I don't just speak for myself that it is still good to see you alive and kicking to tell us what is up in life.  

I consider myself well versed in history. And to be honest, with no disrespect intended, I've noticed it easier to be picked up by guys. Weather its due the appeal to our violent nature or we're just hardwired differently, males just tend to take an outside interest in history.

I'm some what sure being "good" at history is reliant upon realizing its importance, but its also just appreciating it. And that's not something voluntarily done, but if I might suggest how one would go at it I'd aim at satisfying enjoyment. So to start from the beginning I always loved sword fights and tales of heroism are conquerors. Naturally then was easy for me to appreciate wars in history class, they appealed to me. But history isn't just war and despite my avid ability to learn the conflicting parts about it I was conversely terrible at topics like the great depression or the industrial revolution( so are most people). Slowly though my interest began to grow as passed the young ages of 10 and the various other parts of history I began to enjoy. What makes me successful in my current history courses isn't my devotion to pound it into my skull or eat my text book, its to appreciate and personalize that knowledge. I can't say it works all the time, I still can't tell you the year women were given the right to vote!

I realize, also, that its hard to find passion then in a lot of these topics. While you certainly can't go back to your child hood and change what you enjoy fundamentally you can still find something about these periods that's prevalent to you, and that makes it all the easier to remember. In my own class we recently learned about the conflicts of the early federalist vs democratic-republican parties. I may never find a reason to use any of what I learned, but I was able to make it important by placing myself in that conflict. Was I a federalist or a republican I asked myself? Well federalist believed only those with land should be able to vote(believe it or not , but not all white men could vote after the American revolution), and that a bill of rights wasn't necessary. Well I asked myself where I would have sided and so forth. All of a sudden the topic become prevent when you place it in the moment, and much much easier to remember .

Finally its good hear history from as many sources as you can manage. Often times just even how it is said can reflect on how well you remember it. And my own personal choice are these videos.

'>

I'm sure you can find your way to what you need or where about it may be. They're pretty intense and may tell you a lot more then you need to know but they have a great way of making it stick, and as a last resort don't be afraid to message me. I LOVE history. Messaging me, even if I don't find time to respond immediately, would make my day and if your really confused on a complex topic that a video or book doesn't phrase well I'd love to get to explain it.

10/24/2013

Hello, once again

--

Anybody recognize this lady or ladies like her?

Picture-53.jpg

Yeah. :-P

What's up with that? Why are there so many pictures of ladies laughing while eating salads?

Perhaps the advertisements are trying to convey the idea that salads can make you happy.

Somehow.

--

Also, normally I think it's stupid to sign posts. But in this case, this is a journal. And for some reason, I felt the need to sign my posts to make them more journal-ish.

Maybe it's just dumb in any case.

Thoughts?

Well, the forum does automatically say what day/month/year/time you submitted a post; however, I'm not the biggest proponent of the sense-making when it comes to these matters. With that, its your journal do as you will.

Salutations!

--

Recently picked up Skyward Sword again. I dropped it about two years ago. It moved at a slow pace, and the endless amount of tutorials I had to go through was a bit off putting. Despite that, there are a lot of cool things about the game, and it is still pretty enjoyable to an extent. Also, considering I never finished it, and it was a Zelda game... well, I felt more inclined, I guess.

So, I restarted my file. I didn't really look forward to the long cut-scenes and dialogue that's at the beginning of the game, and also similar annoyances that would possibly ensue, but that's nothing that would make me quit again. If anything, I would lose interest or get lazy, haha. I've found that those things aren't quite so bad and they're pretty easy to overlook.

At any rate, I'm actually playing much better than I did before. Last time, I wanted to rush everything and just start playing. I've found that I missed out on some good stuff because I did. This time, I took my time, talked to people, gathered information and a lot of other useful things like items. So I feel like I'm playing the game much better now.

--

But yeah. You guys probably don't care about my rambling, especially since this concerns videogames. But, this is a videogame forum, so yeah. :P

• 4 weeks later...

I congratulate you on even having such motive to do so. I couldn't stand the game after Link went to the Surface World because the game got to the point where it was just too boring to play. I don't think there's ever been a Zelda game I've played where I'm left staring blankly at a screen waiting to do something longer than that game.

My biggest complaint for Skyward Sword though; THE FREAKING CONTROLS. You switch to first-person, then tilt a bit, but then the cursor gets randomly locked spinning you in circles. Worse, you can be randomly walking around then, Ooops; accidentally pulled out my sword/shield!

• Like 1

Yeah, Skyward Sword went both ways. While some thought it was the best Zelda game ever made, some thought

it was a pile of s**t. Me? I'm the former. :D

• 2 weeks later...

@Hidi: I don't think I minded the controls so much, personally. The game just took too long for you to get going with it's blasted tutorials and dialog. My older brother, however, stated that the game actually gets pretty fun when you get farther into it. By that time, you've passed all the tutorials, and then you just get to play. But he said it takes quite some time before that happens.

--

So I've been absent for about a month, because our Internet was down. I suppose I might have been able to post sooner, but I've been doing other things, and after a while of doing those things, I felt less attached to the Internet, haha.

My art topic hasn't been updated for a while because our scanner ran out of toner, and I try to avoid taking pictures of my drawings with a camera because the quality is worse. Although, depending on how long it takes for us to get the scanner up and running again, I might just have to resort to pictures rather than scanned images.

My education has been moving along smoothly, and I feel quite grateful that God continues to bestow upon me knowledge and grants me understanding. Regarding history, things really aren't that bad anymore. I used to just read history books on my own, but because of previous problems I already mentioned, that wasn't incredibly effective. Now, me and my father go over these together, and it's much better because he helps explain what the book's talking about. Not too long ago, we finished reading a small book that gave a brief summary on World War 1. Since reading it, (and still working on another book over the same subject) my understanding about World War 1 has increased to the point that my father says I know as much as I need to know about it. But, learning more doesn't hurt, so we're still go over a few things.

I hope the rest of you have lives that are going along splendidly. :)

• 2 months later...

Dredging.

I'm not gone. I just haven't said anything for a while.

I'm considering putting together an initiating post about things I've shied away from for a while, but for right now...

I saw Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2 recently.

howboutitsucked.gif

Honestly, what was originally clever just got pumped with stupid puns and juvenile jokes. Hardly a surprise, though. One would expect as much from a sequel to a movie like that.

Also, I notice there aren't any more signatures. Guess they were removed?

There are definitely still signatures - I can see everyone's perfectly fine.  Otherwise though, good to hear from you again!

There are definitely still signatures - I can see everyone's perfectly fine.  Otherwise though, good to hear from you again!

Hmmm, that's odd. Maybe my browser is responsible. I'm currently using an old version of Firefox.

• 1 month later...

Something I would like to share:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1617865665/barony

My brother Sheridan is a programmer, and is creating a game called "Barony" with some other people that are helping him. He has put together a kickstarter, and would be very pleased to have contributers! Clicking on the link I gave will take you to it. There is a new trailer video there, along with pictures and plenty of words to go with it all! Please take a look! It would mean the world to him and the other people working on the game. Thank you very much. :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Irk, why are there lots of people that are seemingly changing their names after having them for so long? :-P Especially Crazy... you've had that name for so long that I'm probably still going to think of you as that, haha.

Hmm, well, I thought of putting together and refining all of my posts from this point on, but now I'm not really sure I'll ever fit in the time or motivation to do that. So, if you don't mind looking at sloppy writing, etc., I'll fill you in bit by bit about more then just, "I'm drawing stuff." Who knows, maybe I'll bless you with entertainment for 3 seconds before you change the topic you're reading!

*ahem* Well, I've started biology somewhat recently. My mother keeps telling me she's thrilled to have a child that actually likes the subject. My other siblings enjoyed certain aspects, sure, but I guess out of all of them (siblings, I mean,) I like it the most in more ways than one. I haven't gotten to the point of dissecting anything, but I think I'll like that. Some girls are really grossed out by that sort of thing, but I'm not. I don't know. I just don't find things that are gooey, or the innards of organisms grotesque like some percentage of girls do.

Speaking of percentage, in math, some time ago I backtracked to some fundamental mathematics. Primarily I was studying fractions, decimals, and percents. I'm homeschooled, so I can get away with it. :troll: The way me/my family does things, we go at our own pace in learning our education. In fact, that's why many public schoolers don't do so well. It's because they're all rushed through the process at the same rate, and different people process things at different speeds. That's why some trip up when they otherwise wouldn't if they took there own time soaking in whatever it was they're learning.

So, why did I have to backtrack? Well, part of it might have been that when I was taught about fractions, decimals and percents, I was a lot younger, and so I might have had a harder time comprehending the material. So, what should have been done was for me to wait until I was ready to move on to algebra. That's not what happened. At first, I was being homeschooled in a similar fashion that the public schoolers are taught in the sense that I had a time limit. Some years later, though, that's changed, and I'm so grateful for it. One thing I'm very pleased about is that I see the relationship between fractions, decimals and percents. Before, I didn't. Not really. I guess I knew that they all meant, "this is part of something, but it isn't whole," but not much more than that.

Something else I'm pleased about is that I don't have to memorize lots and lots of terms that I'll never use outside of the subject I'm studying and that don't stick. Some terms that are important I do study and to some extent commit to memory, but there are not a whole lot of them.

So that's some stuff about my school life. I guess I'll post something later.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well, we've been going to a church that I quite like. It adheres to doctrine much more strictly than previous churches we've visited. This is a good thing. For a long time I'd wondered if there was any church okay to attend where we live. But this one is different, and I'm very thankful to partake in fellowship with other believers who actually seem with it, and not simply, "church goers".

There is a family there that we've become acquainted with that I like very much. They seem very gracious and kind, and understand doctrine. The family has many sons, two of which I find quite attractive. The nice thing is, they're a little older than me, so our maturity levels are more on par with each other. Like the rest of the family, these two young men I've perceived time and time again to be very graceful and sweet, an attractive attribute in it of itself. In addition, they are handsome, but not too handsome that they are out of my league.

The trouble is.... I'm too shy. I can't quite bring myself to say anything to them other than, "Hi," and... well, not even, "how's it going." I like to look at them, but I'm always afraid that they'll catch me watching them, or I'll be noticed by someone else, so I only glance for a few seconds, and then I look away. I often wonder if they are attracted to me to a similar degree. I am by no means a knock out girl, but I'm pretty. In a common way. But, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. And, although I know that there are standards of beauty that everybody can agree on at least some, they're are also particulars. Things that are unique to individuals that attract some people, but not necessarily be attractive to someone else.

I think I have detected them glancing at me, too, but... I'm not sure. And, if they did, it could just be them looking at me as just another person, and not in the way I look at them. My dad said that he's sure they noticed me, which makes me feel cheerful, but because I don't REALLY know what they think, I always kind of question that. I also wonder if they've seen other girls, and if they're already interested in someone else...

I had one social outing with this family at a park. We played softball and had a picnic. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I don't get to do that kind of stuff often, and I liked being around company. But, my dad later asked me if I spoke to those two boys. I said no, and that I really didn't talk so much while I was there. I still felt rather shy, awkward and conspicuous, even though after a while of playing the game of softball I felt loosened up a bit. My dad made a remark and said something like, "Well, I guess that's just part of being a teenager."

Sigh. He made me feel that I should have spoken more, and that he was curious as to why I didn't talk with the boys and disappointed that I wasted the opportunity, which just makes me sad and frustrated. (Although that might not have been what he thought/meant, just my interpretation. ) It's not easy for me, by a long shot. And his remark made it sound as if it should be easy. But again, that's being presumptuous. It might have just simply been an observation on his part. And I suppose if I wasn't a teenager, it would easy to mingle. But what he said still just frustrates me. I WANT to talk with people, especially the boys, but I always feel awkward and clumsy, so I can never get much out.

But, to put all this in perspective, I know it won't be this way forever, and eventually I shouldn't feel so self-conscious. In the mean time, I just have to struggle in agony over the fact that I'm lonely, and even though I get the opportunity to mingle, I don't. :-P Yup, the classic, "It'll pass" phrase is miiiiiighty encouraging. Oh, that and, "Just forget about everyone else and be yourself." Hmph. Once again, easier said than done.  :-P

I've felt like I can relate more to this song by David Archuleta than I used to when I was little. Yeah, I know, it's kind of cheesy to put this in here and say, "This depicts how I feel so much," but really, I'm sure everyone can relate to these feelings at least some...

On a side note, I'm not sure if "crush" is the proper term for the two boys I'm attracted to. I know I think about them a lot. But, at the same time, I always feel that the word crush refers to a REALLY intense attraction you have towards someone. And... I wouldn't say it's REALLY intense... But still, the whole, "Do you ever think, when you're all alone" thing... yeah, I feel like that.

I really hope the new Starfox game isn't going to be, "Starfox 64 Wii U," but according to the very raw images I saw in the news update, they looked like the exact same models and faces from the 3DS game. I understand that the game is far from finished, but still...I think it would be great if they made a new Starfox game and didn't mess with the storyline so much, but rather the gameplay. Stick to the roots but make new levels, invite new things that build upon the original gameplay without totally changing everything.

Anyway, moving on from Starfox yammers, I'm learning more about how to drive. I've been riding a lawn mower, which is good practice to help me learn how to make turns and stuff. I'm also reading a drivers manual, too. Pretty soon I'll be sixteen, and before I turn sixteen I hope to have finished reading the drivers manual. I'm going to have to study it and then apply for a learner's permit. I think driving can be fun, and it'll be cool once I can go places and do stuff. On the other hand, I'm kind of nervous about being on the road. I'm worried I'll make mistakes, (which of course I will, it's all part of learning,) but on top of that I feel really stressed because my dad's going to be teaching me and I'm worried I'll get yelled at and stuff...But I'm sure I'll get through it just like the rest of my siblings did.  :-)

Oh, and concerning the previous stuff I said about my dad... since it was on my mind I talked to him about that remark he made, and he said that I read into it, and that he didn't mean it that way. Typical of me to read into statements... :-P I'm also really bad at discerning when people are talking to me seriously or sarcastically, even when I try to know. But since I'm always not sure I ask for clarification. Then I'm suddenly expected to know what they meant, lol....Anyway, he said that he's frustrated because he knows what it's like, but there isn't anything he can do for me, except tell me, (as he did once again,) that it'll pass, and I'll be able to socialize much easier.

I used to think that teenage emotions are almost always made to be something bigger than they really are, and people often look into what their feeling way too much. But, now I think a bit differently. I would say there are lots of people who think too hard about it and get goofy, asking questions like, "How does the number 7 make you feel." Or, even if they aren't that goofy they still look into them too much. However, teenage mood swings and angst is a really thing. In physical terms, I don't really know why I have mood swings or have odd emotions from time to time. But, it isn't just the physical things that make up your feelings. It's an amalgam of sorts.

We're going to have company over soon, so my dad's preparing for it. He's fixing a lot of things in the house that should've been fixed years ago, but he was too busy. Thank goodness it's getting done now. I wish I'd known how to do the work myself so I could've done it sooner, but I didn't. And it's not like he could teach me because that would consume time that he didn't have.

I'm helping with painting our deck. It was waaaay over due. The previous paint job was practically rubbed completely off, and of course that lets rain damage the wood and all. I'm glad I'm helping to be of use, but it also gives me the chance to learn how to do something I ought to know how to do. Painting is a good skill to know when tending to a home. Like hemming pants and sewing on buttons. Every girl should know how to do those things.

It is possible my youngest older brother Sterling might leave the house and start living with my oldest brother Spencer. That way he'll be closer to work. I think I'm going to miss him. Out of all my brothers, he's probably the one I'm closest too. :( We were playmates when we were younger. Heck, out of all my siblings, I might just have more things in common with him then the rest. We're only two years apart, as well, so that might also account for some of the closeness.

Hence pony song:

Now of course I wouldn't say our relationship was as ideal as this. It's pretty exaggerated, but it still makes me smile and think of my brothers, kind of wishing I was closer to them than I am...  :/

P.S. Can anyone else see the video? It doesn't appear on my screen. It just creates a big gap in the text...

Edit: Never mind. :lol: