[Unofficial] SFO Nationality Poll

Ori

Your Nationality  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What is your nationality?

I would never pass as a Canadian - especially if you place me anywhere near snow. "HOW DO I DRIVE IN THIS WHITE SLIPPERY STUFF? OH NOES. :("

Lol, I can agree with that.

Last encounter with snow and driving for me I nearly lost control of the car as soon as I hit the interstate. Man it was a long ride back home...

That's why I live in the one part of Canada where it doesn't snow -w-

Where in Canada does it not snow?

The West coast. I shouldn't say it DOESN'T snow, just that it's very rare when it does. Like, the transit systems are not equipped to handle it because it's so infrequent.

The West coast. I shouldn't say it DOESN'T snow, just that it's very rare when it does. Like, the transit systems are not equipped to handle it because it's so infrequent.

Hm. If I ever decide to live in Canada that's where it will be.

ONE OF US

/derail

edit: I voted Canadian because that's where I'm living but yeah, just...pretend there's another vote for America too? Idunno.

I remember there was a pattern in Victoria awhile back. Snowed once every 2 years or so. Pretty sparse. Hopefully we'll get some more this year.

Nationality is the country one is born in. Race is a general grouping: Caucasian, Asian, ect. Ethnicity is a group with in a race such and is often and understandably mixed up with nationality, because examples like Chinese can be used as both. However, one can claim to be american only in nationality, in less they decide they are native american. One day eventually being American will register as its own ethnicity, and while its possible SOME have been stating nationality of their grand parents is a whole lot more likely they are referring to ethnicity. When one says their grand parents are Polish, they generally refer to their lineage, because one simply isn't polish in ethnicity from being born there. Stating their grandparents nationality would only logical and would only be relevant for the sake of origin before current location of their family. Yes that would be important for citizen ship. But obviously people are referring to ancestry.

A. My ancestry includes hefty sums of Scotch-Irish and Welsh on my mother's side, and French and English on my father's side with a tiny dash of Indochinese.

Irish ancenstory.

with Mongolian roots ;)

English/Prussian ancestry

with German/Welsh/Scottish ancestry.

Point of that speech is people often get this topic confused, and it's my pet peeve.

anyway, I am majorly off topic, and I didn't mean to be so rude to call everyone turds. Its what I usually call my siblings and and it doesn't read the same way that I meant to say it, forgive me.

Nationality is the country one is born in.

anyway, I am majorly off topic, and I didn't mean to be so rude to call everyone turds. Its what I usually call my siblings and and it doesn't read the same way that I meant to say it, forgive me.

Technically, nationality is the country one is a current citizen of, and can indeed change. Apology accepted, just note that things do have a tendency to come out differently in text-based forms. :P

And, again, isn't necessarily true. I'm American because I was born there, but have official Canadian citizenship. Voting rights, passport and everything! My friend gained citizenship in the UK simply because her mother was born there. And people are obviously referring to their roots because they feel some sort of connection with the nationality of their ancestors, which is fair game.

just note that things do have a tendency to come out differently in text-based forms. :-P

Teh story of my life.

Anyway, i'm American. Deep South to be exact. But you already knew that.

Um dude, AJC? I mentioned my nationality but ALSO volunteered my ethnicity because I thought it would be of interest in such a topic - most of the people here did in fact. We're not confusing nationality, we're simply volunteering ADDITIONAL information on top of it, because huge strings of "I'm American" or "I'm Canadian" are quite frankly boring. If it's not of interest to you just ignore it. We're not idiots and it should be obvious from what we ACTUALLY said that we understand what the OP was asking for.

On 10/17/2012 at 11:08 PM, Ajc3000fox said:

Nationality is the country one is born in. Race is a general grouping: Caucasian, Asian, ect. Ethnicity is a group with in a race such and is often and understandably mixed up with nationality, because examples like Chinese can be used as both. However, one can claim to be american only in nationality, in less they decide they are native american. One day eventually being American will register as its own ethnicity, and while its possible SOME have been stating nationality of their grand parents is a whole lot more likely they are referring to ethnicity. When one says their grand parents are Polish, they generally refer to their lineage, because one simply isn't polish in ethnicity from being born there. Stating their grandparents nationality would only logical and would only be relevant for the sake of origin before current location of their family. Yes that would be important for citizen ship. But obviously people are referring to ancestry.

Point of that speech is people often get this topic confused, and it's my pet peeve.

Zzz

I'm French, and so are my parents. But my ancestors come from England and many other parts of Europe. It is said I also have Viking blood, from the british side.

I represent the Netherlands, so I'm Dutch. Y'know, the place with all the cheese, windmills and Tulips. :lol: I am also, however, British, German, Russian and any other nationality in that general area.

Bet you nevar saw a Dutch person before?

Well, I guess I'm Canadian French.

On my dad's side I got Greek ancestry, and French(but late 1890s French) ancestry.

On my mother's side, its pretty much just French Canadian ancestry(which involve some French ancestry), and I don't know if it counts but some ancestors on my mother's side were pretty crazy mofos :S

Like one story I'll always remember is that years ago, one of my ancestor had lots of flies in his house, and he decided to put honey on the table to attract them, and he then shot the flies on the table with his gun... Hopefully, I wasn't affected by his genes, though I do hate flies and flying insects :P

Ok that's a longer one for me.^^

So I'm half Swiss, that part's from the Zürioberland, to be specific. One quarter is a Scottish-Welsh mix and the other quarter is Indian (Bengali).

But this all doesn't change the fact that I live in Germany.

• 3 weeks later...

American, with Prussian/German/Irish/Scottish ancestry if you want to be specific :P