Anime

Battlechili

I just started watching Gurren Lagann. I don't have much to say on it so far having only seen the first episode, but I'm really liking the art style.

Also, I started reading the manga 'Tsubasa'. So far it's been great. At the time I'm impatiently waiting the arrival of the next issue. xD

This is a very good thing. Everyone everywhere should watch Gurren Lagann at least once in their lives. Ideally, they should watch it multiple times. 

Out of curiosity, are you watching it dubbed or subbed?

I hope you love Gurren Lagann.

I have seen it so many times, and I still consider it to be the greatest anime ever.

I honestly don't understand what is so special about this Gurren Lagann anime that everyone is crazy about. I managed to only see one episode (can't remember which one), but from what I saw of it, there's nothing special. And I'm also not very interested in watching it from beginning to end, the art style and character designs (other than that one main girl) just look too goofy to me.

This is a very good thing. Everyone everywhere should watch Gurren Lagann at least once in their lives. Ideally, they should watch it multiple times. 

Out of curiosity, are you watching it dubbed or subbed?

Dubbed. Though it doesn't really matter to me either way.

• Like 1

Well, one episode is rarely indicative of a whole series. If I were to judge Madoka based on one episode chosen at random, several of the 12 episodes would give me completely different impressions of what I thought it was going to be. Also, there's a 1/27 chance that the episode you saw was the one TERRIBLE episode, episode 4. It had a guest director or some shit, and it was completely inferior to any of the other episodes.

Unfortunately, I'm not in the right state of mind right now to sit down and write a big rave review to try and convince you to like it. All I can do right now is tell you that dismissing it after 1 episode is extremely silly. Maybe someone else will step up to tell you exactly why TTGL is the greatest thing ever XD

Dubbed. Though it doesn't really matter to me either way.

YES!

I rarely ever think a dub is better than the original Japanese. At best, they tend to be equal or slightly inferior and I just prefer them because I like English. TTGL, though. I absolutely cannot listen to the Japanese version anymore, if I have the option. The dub is just... amazing. Near perfect, even.

I honestly don't understand what is so special about this Gurren Lagann anime that everyone is crazy about. I managed to only see one episode (can't remember which one), but from what I saw of it, there's nothing special. And I'm also not very interested in watching it from beginning to end, the art style and character designs (other than that one main girl) just look too goofy to me.

It's babby's first mecha anime, and it really isn't as good as people chalk it up to be,

It's babby's first mecha anime, and it really isn't as good as people chalk it up to be,

Of course it's not as good as people hype it to be. That's the thing about hype. It's never actually met.

That said, and putting aside my usual exaggerations about how it's the best thing ever, I suppose now that I'm in the right sort of mood I'll put some effort into explaining just why I think it's absolutely amazing and calling it "baby's first mecha anime," even if somewhat accurate, is a largely overlooking the point of the show. Spoilered because it contains spoilers.

Gurren Lagann isn't meant to be some serious mecha anime to begin with. It's essentially a parody and homage to the entire super robot genre, and uses that genre as a vehicle to tell a coming of age story with great characters and an extremely optimistic take on the human spirit. It's not some elaborately constructed, multi-layered masterpiece of storytelling; it picks a couple of themes and symbols early on (drills = evolution, both literally and figuratively, "piercing the heavens" being a metaphor for fighting against oppression, learning to believe in yourself, etc.) and builds on them throughout the series.

In particular, the recurring "pierce the heavens" and "believe in the X who believes in Y" lines are great examples of what, in my opinion, are the best parts of the show: the development of the characters. In the first episode, Kamina tells Simon that his drill is the drill that will pierce the heavens and then, later, tells him that instead of believing in himself, he should believe in the Kamina who believes in him. That line is said in an altered form a couple of other times until the episode where Kamina dies, and he tells Simon to, instead, believe in the Simon who believes in himself. That's the end of Kamina's character development, obviously, and then it's the catalyst for Simon to begin his development, and after he snaps out of his funk he starts talking about how his drill is gonna pierce the heavens instead of having other people say it for him. This leads to the final bit of escalation in the last episode where, after essentially becoming a god, his drill becomes the drill that creates the heavens.

He's no longer just tagging along with everyone else or being pulled against his will like he was at the end of the series; he's now actually got something he's willing to fight, and die for. It's no longer a story of people reacting to threats against them (piercing the heavens); they, instead, finally stand on equal ground with their enemies, are able to decide for themselves how they want to proceed. Simon has come of age, a long way from the meek little boy he was at the start of the series, and instead of a cheap happy ever after ending they acknowledge that now it's time for humanity's coming of age story, as in the future they're going to have to figure out how to stop the Spiral Nemesis.

So, as a mecha anime, is it good? I dunno. It's the best one I've ever seen, because I just didn't much like Evangelion and I've not watched many others (not a huge fan of the genre). But it's doesn't define itself by its genre. It just uses that genre and all the associated tropes to tell an optimistic story that they wanted to tell. Reducing it to such a simple description as "baby's first mecha anime" is completely ignoring more than half of what makes up the show.

Hmmm....Come to think of it, I've never seen a mecha anime from beginning to end except for Gurren Lagann.

I saw the first two episodes of Rah Xephon.

I saw the first 5 episodes of Evangelion, as well as the first two rebuild films.

I saw the first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam, the first episode of Zeta Gundam, the first episode of G Gundam, the first episode of Gundam OO, about 7 episodes of Gundam 08th MS Team, and the first episode and episode 11 (I think?) of Gundam Wing.

I saw the first episode of Big O.

I saw about the first 20 episodes of Eureka Seven.

I really need to get around to finishing some of these. I loved Evangelion, G Gundam, and Big O. Though pretty much every Gundam was pretty good. Can't say I like the original though.

As for Eureka Seven, I'm watching that one on TV as it airs.

I didn't like Rah Xephon though.

If it means anything to you, the series itself isn't very serious, especially not for the first half. The second half is much more serious and realistic, but the show is far from any of that. To be honest I don't like the art for the show either. Part of the reason people love it so much is because how insanely it gets having characters constantly, and quite literally, doing the impossible. It sends messages of hope and makes people feel like they can do anything. The series has multiple sad moments, and after a while of seeming to have a very simple storyline, it starts adding twists and makes everything crazier. The show likes to escalate in quality, starting out weak and building itself up until the show gets to be very high quality, filled with feels, as one might put it, and the animation improves drastically. A large portion of the show's budget wasn't used until the last few episodes.

I think I read that Gurren Lagann has the largest mecha in any anime ever by the end.

I think I read that Gurren Lagann has the largest mecha in any anime ever by the end.

At the end of the compilation movies when they get in their movie-exclusive form, they're officially 52.8 billion light years tall with a 528 billion light year drill.

Considering the fact that that makes them almost 6 times the size of the observable universe, all told, and they're up against an identically sized enemy, yep. I can't think of much that gets bigger than that.

At the end of the compilation movies when they get in their movie-exclusive form, they're officially 52.8 billion light years tall with a 528 billion light year drill.

Considering the fact that that makes them almost 6 times the size of the observable universe, all told, and they're up against an identically sized enemy, yep. I can't think of much that gets bigger than that.

And it's piloted by a mech the size of a galaxy (and a few others) which is piloted by a mech the size of a planet which is piloted by a mech the size of a city which is piloted by a mech the size of a building which is piloted by the mech the size of a person which is piloted by a man who created those things with the power of how awesome he is. To reach the final size, he needed the energy of another man who's awesomness sets his hair on fire creates hair made of fire.

Watched the first episode of the new series Attack On Titan.

That was amazing. Brilliant. Cool characters, nice use of emotion, truly showing how scary the Titans are and how scary death is, and an air of mystery is left to leave the viewer wondering what's going on.

You guys ought' to check this one out. 

Here's the opening song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7ayTLPHcOU

And it's piloted by a mech the size of a galaxy (and a few others) which is piloted by a mech the size of a planet which is piloted by a mech the size of a city which is piloted by a mech the size of a building which is piloted by the mech the size of a person which is piloted by a man who created those things with the power of how awesome he is. To reach the final size, he needed the energy of another man who's awesomness sets his hair on fire creates hair made of fire.

And you two have just officially made me completely uninterested in seeing this anime. Thank you two for completely turning me off of Gurren Lagann.

And you two have just officially made me completely uninterested in seeing this anime. Thank you two for completely turning me off of Gurren Lagann.

Well that's a very silly reason. It's not like animes, especially the likes of Gurren Lagann from what I hear of it, are known for making any sense.

There's an old saying I heard way back when that goes something like this, "Bitch, it doesn't have to make sense, it's anime."

• Like 2

^That's basically the short version of how I would have replied. Go into an anime expecting realism, especially a mech one of any kind, and you're gonna have a baaad time.

^That's basically the short version of how I would have replied. Go into an anime expecting realism, especially a mech one of any kind, and you're gonna have a baaad time.

Some mecha anime are kind of realistic though, and some really do take themselves seriously.

For example, Neon Genesis Evangelion in a way is the opposite of Gurren Lagann.

It takes itself seriously and can even be a bit depressing. The only real similarity is that they were made by the same animation company and they both have really cool mecha fights.

Anime that take themselves seriously and try to be realistic can be really good and really cool too.

The show I've been watching, Attack On Titan, has been different from the usual anime in that its extremely serious. There's almost no comedy, almost no exaggerated facial expressions, and is kind of dark. I'm not sure I'd say its realistic, but it takes itself seriously, if anything.

Yeah, but my comment about the mech anime was more geared towards the fact that mechs, from what I understand, tend to be pretty much on the wrong side of physics the larger they get, and mech series tend to make them pretty large. Even a "real robot" genre show, like some of the Gundam series, tend to make them way too maneuverable than I can swallow without suspension of disbelief.

Of course, my understanding of physics as applied to giant fighting robots is shaky at best, so maybe I AM wrong XD

Confirmed for never watching Patlabor, VOTOMS, Ideon, the original Gundam, or any other critically acclaimed mecha anime

Some mecha anime are kind of realistic though, and some really do take themselves seriously.

For example, Neon Genesis Evangelion in a way is the opposite of Gurren Lagann.

It takes itself seriously and can even be a bit depressing. The only real similarity is that they were made by the same animation company and they both have really cool mecha fights.

Anime that take themselves seriously and try to be realistic can be really good and really cool too.

The show I've been watching, Attack On Titan, has been different from the usual anime in that its extremely serious. There's almost no comedy, almost no exaggerated facial expressions, and is kind of dark. I'm not sure I'd say its realistic, but it takes itself seriously, if anything.

Evangelion isn't realistc, nor does it take itself seriously, nor is good.

Confirmed for never watching Patlabor, VOTOMS, Ideon, the original Gundam, or any other critically acclaimed mecha anime

It's the best one I've ever seen, because I just didn't much like Evangelion and I've not watched many others (not a huge fan of the genre). But it's doesn't define itself by its genre. 

Of course, my understanding of physics as applied to giant fighting robots is shaky at best, so maybe I AM wrong XD

Did you even read my posts?

You know, I thought that maybe you were right in the sub vs dub topic. Maybe I WAS being a bit of an ass and you weren't being belligerent at all, like I said you were. After all, I was tired and cranky, so it was likely.

But no, it looks like you do just largely ignore what other people say and then hear what you want to hear. I recognize that I'm flirting with hypocrisy here by being an asshole in response to the assholeishness I perceive, but these anime-related topics have been quite enjoyable and, most importantly, civil, so far, before you come in bashing things indiscriminately. I'm a little salty.

Well, I've only seen the first 5 episodes of the original NGE, so I suppose I should finish it before saying things like that.

I would argue that the rebuild movies as of the first two are really good though, as I've seen both of them.

What mecha anime would you suggest I watch? I don't like the original Gundam from what I've seen, though I did like Zeta Gundam, its sequel, from what I saw. I could watch the Pat Labor movies.

Lord how I hated the original Gundam. Gundam usually has that amazingly realistic idea of putting emotionally unstable teenagers behind the controls of weapons of ultimate power, but out of all the teens in the Gundam series, I hated Amuro with a pretty good intensity. He just grates on my nerves so damned much.

Also, this is a personal peeve of mine at least, but you seem to be stating opinion as fact.

That is subjective right there, but it is stated as fact. I can do that, too.

The original Gundam is not a good show. It is as enjoyable as a molten lead enema. However this is an asshole way of stating it and will lead to problems, so let me fix that.

I don't think the original Gundam is a good show. It was as enjoyable as a lead enema.

This distinction states it in a way that makes you seem like less of an asshole and more of someone with a differing opinion. The way it was stated  puts the idea that you're saying "The show is bad and you should feel bad, you dirty infidel."

Anyway, the original Gundam is only notable for me really for establishing the universe where, in my opinion, better shows arose from, especially the idea of the oppressed being the villains, and for some of my favourite mech designs, the top 3 being the MS-06 Zaku II, the MS-07 Gouf, and the MSM-10 Zock.

When it comes to the original Gundam universe, though, I much prefer Mobile Suit Gundam: the 08th MS Team and, though it was only six episodes long, Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket.

When it comes to the Gundam series in general, I much prefer Gundam Wing because, while it still used emotionally unstable teenagers, they remain in decent control of their emotions and there's a plethora of main main characters to like or hate, not just one that I can't do anything but hate. Yes, I dislike Chang Wufei in Gundam Wing, but I do like Duo Maxwell, Trowa Barton, Heero Yuy, and Quatra Raberba Winner so I like four of the five Gundam pilots and I love all the main mobile suits in that show, Deathscythe (and the Hell model), Wing, Wing Zero (and the Custom model), Sandrock (and Kai model), Heavyarms (and Kai model), Shenlong (and Altron model), and the other two notable mechs of that series, the Tallgeese series and Epyon, especially Epyon.

Also, Gundam Wing was almost almost entirely hand drawn, and had a fantastic opening. Both of the openings, actually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljXFL4dyDIk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rixsxj6pJjc

• Like 2

Well, I've only seen the first 5 episodes of the original NGE, so I suppose I should finish it before saying things like that.

I would argue that the rebuild movies as of the first two are really good though, as I've seen both of them.

What mecha anime would you suggest I watch? I don't like the original Gundam from what I've seen, though I did like Zeta Gundam, its sequel, from what I saw. I could watch the Pat Labor movies.

Yes, the Rebuild movies seem to be better, but I'm willing to bet Anno will screw them all up with the final one.

As for other anime: Macross, VOTOMS, the rest of the Gundam metaseries (try out Gundam X. Only 39 episodes, but it's great), and Patlabor. Note on Patlabor: There's many animated versions of the original story, so choose wisely.

Lord how I hated the original Gundam. Gundam usually has that amazingly realistic idea of putting emotionally unstable teenagers behind the controls of weapons of ultimate power, but out of all the teens in the Gundam series, I hated Amuro with a pretty good intensity. He just grates on my nerves so damned much.

Also, this is a personal peeve of mine at least, but you seem to be stating opinion as fact.

That is subjective right there, but it is stated as fact. I can do that, too.

The original Gundam is not a good show. It is as enjoyable as a molten lead enema. However this is an asshole way of stating it and will lead to problems, so let me fix that.

I don't think the original Gundam is a good show. It was as enjoyable as a lead enema.

This distinction states it in a way that makes you seem like less of an asshole and more of someone with a differing opinion. The way it was stated  puts the idea that you're saying "The show is bad and you should feel bad, you dirty infidel."

Anyway, the original Gundam is only notable for me really for establishing the universe where, in my opinion, better shows arose from, especially the idea of the oppressed being the villains, and for some of my favourite mech designs, the top 3 being the MS-06 Zaku II, the MS-07 Gouf, and the MSM-10 Zock.

When it comes to the original Gundam universe, though, I much prefer Mobile Suit Gundam: the 08th MS Team and, though it was only six episodes long, Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket.

When it comes to the Gundam series in general, I much prefer Gundam Wing because, while it still used emotionally unstable teenagers, they remain in decent control of their emotions and there's a plethora of main main characters to like or hate, not just one that I can't do anything but hate. Yes, I dislike Chang Wufei in Gundam Wing, but I do like Duo Maxwell, Trowa Barton, Heero Yuy, and Quatra Raberba Winner so I like four of the five Gundam pilots and I love all the main mobile suits in that show, Deathscythe (and the Hell model), Wing, Wing Zero (and the Custom model), Sandrock (and Kai model), Heavyarms (and Kai model), Shenlong (and Altron model), and the other two notable mechs of that series, the Tallgeese series and Epyon, especially Epyon.

Also, Gundam Wing was almost almost entirely hand drawn, and had a fantastic opening. Both of the openings, actually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljXFL4dyDIk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rixsxj6pJjc

As much as I loved Wing (I have a Master Grade Wing Gundam model kit), you really have no place to say that the Wing boys are somehow better characters than Amuro was. The Wing boys had cookie cutter brooding peronalities (besides Quatre and Duo, but they're exceptions, and the most sane out of them, and ironically Quatre is voiced by Amuro's voice actor in the dub), no character development, had constantly changing goals, and plot armor in a lot of cases. The real stars of Wing were the members of OZ and the Romefeller Foundation that were pulling the strings. The Wing boys were merely just plot devices for them.

Amuro on the other hand started as a whiny little kid who decided to jump in a robot to save his home colony from a couple of Zakus, got overconfident an episode later and gets kicked around by a skilled pilot in a crimson, but technologically worse, mobile suit, tries to run away from responsiblity quite a few times, gets slapped by his superior officer, gets told he isn't a good pilot and he's relying on the machine, and eventually realizes he has to man the fuck up and stop being a bitch, especially during wartime. All of this while unlocking his latent powers and trying to understand them. 

Then he goes through all of Zeta Gundam basically suffering from PSTD thanks to the events of the One Year War, and under strict surveillance by the Titans because they're afraid of his Newtype powers, kicks the asses of the officers pursuing him and helps Karaba fight off the Titans on Earth.

And then we get to Char's Counterattack, where he finally tries to settle the rivalry between himself and Char Aznable.

Also, you're a teenager thrown into a war. You're gonna be emotionally unstable and you're not going to be in control of it, which is why it took a lot of the series for Amuro to reach that point. The Wing boys, however, were trained soldiers from childhood, completely groomed to combat, so of course they're going to seem "more in control" than a kid that wasn't even a soldier fighting a war.

And the original Gundam was hand drawn, on a shoestring budget, back in 1979, and it looks damn good for being animated like that. Trying to say Wing looks better than the original is like comparing the P-51 Mustang WWII fighter to something like an F-15 jet fighter.

I don't understand how you can say the original was like a "molten metal enema", when Wing is basically the same thing, just flashier and with 1995 animation, but whatever, I'm just gonna keep enjoying the original series and UC in general (you should check out Gundam: the Origin, it's a manga retelling of the original series http://www.amazon.com/Mobile-Suit-Gundam-Origin-Activation/dp/193565487X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368333272&sr=8-1&keywords=gundam+the+origin ).

Congratulations, you completely misunderstood my point and what I was saying, and put a lot of words I didn't say in my mouth in the process.

As much as I loved Wing (I have a Master Grade Wing Gundam model kit), you really have no place to say that the Wing boys are somehow better characters than Amuro was. The Wing boys had cookie cutter brooding peronalities (besides Quatre and Duo, but they're exceptions, and the most sane out of them, and ironically Quatre is voiced by Amuro's voice actor in the dub), no character development, had constantly changing goals, and plot armor in a lot of cases.

Actually, I very much have a place to say that and find it very easy to. It's called "my opinion." See, despite all this, at no point did I want to hang any of Wing's characters from the neck with an exposed electrical wire and run 10,000 volts through it until there was nothing left but ash, soot, and a foul smell permeating the air. The same could not be said for Amuro. Yes, they may be cookie cutter brooding, but with the exception of Chang Wufei, they aren't whiny little bitches that I don't like, and it's actually not that I dislike Wufei, it's that I don't much care for him. Amuro, however, I can not stand. Do you know how enjoyable it is to be watching a series where the protagonist is someone you can't relate to, feel for, and/or root for? It's not at all, is the answer. What flaws the Wing characters had, they didn't detract from the experience, unlike Amuro. I can actually like the Wing characters, not necessarily relate to them, but I can root for them, I can want them to succeed. If Amuro were the villain, however, things would be different and that would get an applause from me for great villaining simply because if you can get me to outright hate a villain, then good show, old beans. But he's not, he's the good guy you're supposed to root for and Zeon are the baddies you're supposed to hate, but it's the opposite for me. I hate the Earth Federation, emphasis on Amuro, and root for the snazzy lookin' oppressed space nazis with the usually snazzy lookin' mechs. 

Also, you're a teenager thrown into a war. You're gonna be emotionally unstable and you're not going to be in control of it, which is why it took a lot of the series for Amuro to reach that point. The Wing boys, however, were trained soldiers from childhood, completely groomed to combat, so of course they're going to seem "more in control" than a kid that wasn't even a soldier fighting a war.

That's all well in good, except that it has nothing to do with my point. The majority of my point was to point out your stating opinion as fact (which seriously...

Badpony.png

you should stop that, because while there's no official rules on it, it tends to be an assholeish thing to do, annoying, and causes trouble that can be avoided by going the extra few words it takes to make the transition from being stated as fact to opinion. And the post I'm talking about is as follows).

Anyways, my point was that the original Gundam was far from realistic (and this kinda went off onto a discussion about how I enjoy Gundam Wing). Your statement that Evangelion isn't realistic, doesn't take itself seriously, and isn't a good show is loaded and pure opinion. It may not be to you, but there's people out there, I imagine a lot given how popular Evangelion tends to be, that would disagree. But neither of you'd be right or wrong as one end of the spectrum to the other doesn't matter when it's all subjective.

And the original Gundam was hand drawn, on a shoestring budget, back in 1979, and it looks damn good for being animated like that. Trying to say Wing looks better than the original is like comparing the P-51 Mustang WWII fighter to something like an F-15 jet fighter.

And what point did I ever say that Wing looks better than the original? Oh, that's right, I didn't. However, since you brought it up, yes, the original was hand drawn back in 1979, but that was a time that, if I'm not mistaken, computer animation wasn't really utilized. Gundam Wing was 1995, during a time where computer animation is, if I'm not mistaken, the preferred animation technique now due to being faster, easier, and cheaper. The fact that they decided to use hand animation gives Gundam Wing character, to me. My statement has nothing to do with the original series, it was not a comparison. And the argument of comparing the P-51 Mustang to an F-15 jet fighter is a nonsensical argument since it's an apples to oranges thing. There has been no innovation in hand drawing that makes previous forms completely obsolete, there is no technical stance to be had about the quality of hand animation then vs. now. But if we make your argument the same on both parts, aesthetics to aesthetics, one can easily compare the two. I find the F-15 fighter to be an aesthetically bland airframe that falls flat on its face compared to the P-51 Mustang, but that falls on its face compared to a Hurricane, which fails in comparison to a Spitfire, which can't hold a candle to a Junkers Ju-87 "Stuka," and these aesthetic appeal levels combined don't even register on the chart compared to the divine elegance that is the Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird.

I don't understand how you can say the original was like a "molten metal enema", when Wing is basically the same thing, just flashier and with 1995 animation, but whatever, I'm just gonna keep enjoying the original series and UC in general (you should check out Gundam: the Origin, it's a manga retelling of the original series http://www.amazon.co...ndam the origin ).

Except that they're not the same. About every aspect of it is different, the characters, setting, story. Hell, Tenchi Muyo and Tenchi Universe are different even though they use the same characters (plus a few more in Universe) and have story lines that are parallel as all hell. And I can say it was like a molten lead enema because I found no enjoyment from the original series (well this may be a slight exaggeration since it did start the Gundam series and is the basis for the series I actually did like, as well as games where I get to play as Zeon and annihilate the Earth Federation, with Zeonic Front and Federation vs. Zeon being my favourite of the games).

But if we're talking just straight watching the series, games and later stories in the same universe not included and all, yeah, lead enema is a good analogy for it, no enjoyment was had that ever.

• Like 1

It appears that I have inadvertently started a war between some of the fans of mecha animes. Not what I meant to happen.:(

I recently started watching another anime that I just came across. It's called Dog Days. I've only seen the first episode so far, but it already looks like a very fun anime.

Hi,

I love Dog Days! Watched the first season twice already and right now I'm watching the second season for the second time, too. And season three is already confirmed for this summer :-) It is indeed very fun! The characters are very very cute and amiable, I just love all of them! Especially Rico and Yuki (my avatar^^), but Noir and the Princess are really nice, too! Just can't get enough of them. A total moe-overkill!