Katheeri

Zaphyr Stone

Renard gasped as amelia rounded the corner. he had to think fast. and that he did. Boots creaking, he executed a powerslide that whipped him around the corner.

He just wanted to catch up to them before his g-diffusers blew out.

" Hey Wait! I don't wanna hurt you. let's talk!"

Amelia vaulted up to eighty in the fifty-five zone as she entered the tunnel, flying in and out traffic. Even with his fancy skates, Amelia figured there was no way he'd keep up with three-hundred horespower. She looked in the rear view mirror. Did she lose him yet?

Renard grunted as he darted out of traffic, and turned his skates off, deciding to hoof it after her in a light jog. he'd probably eventually lose her, but moving through a tunnel like that. even if he rode the slipstreams of neighboring cars, it would simply be much too dangerous.

" Oof... Goddamn" * hff* pff*

"AH!" Zefran yelped as he careened into one side of the SUV as Amelia barreled into a turn, "You can handle yourself up there, right?" he asked as he strapped in securely. He was going to need it.

----

Aura pushed away from him as he pushed off of her, her eyes wild with adrenaline. "Sorry." she panted out and kicked off the ground with wings spread. It was the out she needed, and she was going to take it while they were still stunned. Zefran had had plenty of time to get away.
----

"Indeed." Sitka watched the man carefully, "However, this matter is something of a delicate nature. I need proof you are worthy of being privy to it. And you don't strike me as a trustworthy sort."

"What the fuck was that all about?.." Tiger looked up, bewildered more than anything. "Who the Hell kisses their opponent like that in the middle of a fight?.." This bewilderment disappeared and was quickly replaced with shock when his brain fully processed what happened. "Oh my God, did I just get a forced kiss from a girl at least ten years younger than me?  What if she's younger than 18?  Oh crap this'll not be good at all..."

-------------------------

"Damn straight he's not trustworthy." Hawk spoke up, "Injecting you with chemicals that we have no idea what the effect of would be on you to knock you out, then reversing those with more chemicals instead of letting them filter out of your system naturally.  I want to see that doctorate of his myself."

"I second this." Copper said, "There has been a serious breach of protocol today, any physician should know not to wake a potential threat until that threat is properly secured.  Especially in light of today's events, I have a serious feeling General Pepper will be seething with rage."

Amelia checked the mirrors, then craned her head to look out the rear glass. She breathed a sigh of relief and slowed down to a more acceptable speed.

"You okay back there?" she asked her passenger.

Alek looked to the two. This was getting tiresome, the small chance with leveling with these mercs has soured. He was hoping for the ex-military with some questionable morals, but these guys just clack boots and follow letters.

"Ok fly boys. It's obvious that you don't have medical experience to understand how the drugs worked ... But that's fine. It's fine." He stood up, hands in pockets. There was a rush of blood to the head that have him a pause. "However, I don't have the time to explain and frankly, our friend here doesn't seem to be the threatening type." 

He motioned to Sitka and Shepard. He thought of how to proceed. He could offer protection but Star Tiger might not take that. Offer assets? Have none. Alek peddled his fingers. There was no easy solution here.

He leaned into the space in front of the two of them. "While I have little to offer as proof, I can aid in providing amesty from this incident and a reassurance that our mutual interests and success are of utmost importance to me." He looked at Shepard. "I also extend that offer to you." 

He looked around, head bobbing back and forth. "Thoughts?"

• Like 1

Offering no immediate visible reaction, Shepherd fixed the doctor with a blank look as she rolled his offer around in her head. What would the dog have to gain to make such an appealing offer? Still, with recent developments so far, the girl now found herself in quite a disadvantageous position.

While staying silent through most of the goings on, the cerinian had taken notice of how long it had been since the cryptid and his pursuers.

If the fools haven't returned with the younger Katheeri by now, chances are they would return empty handed, any plans she had on involving a more malleable subject were likely dashed. As frustrating as it was for the vixen to admit, she'd have to accept the doctor's offer... possibly even comply with any corrections to the offer down the line.

"His cybernetics are perhaps a little unsettling," Sheperd spoke up finally, weighing in on the conversation about the canine's trustability, though she doubted what she was saying would change the armoured man's mind, "... and he is a touch more 'hands on' than one might expect, as well."

"But despite those issues, he was there to help when I... when the boy was injured, I feel the doctor is certainly worthy of trust." Shepherd hoped Alek would interpret what she said as a 'yes'.

• Like 1

Renard slowed down to a stop as the car had left his sight for more than ten seconds. he wasn't gonna catch them. 

the lupine hero deciding to take a small rest on a nearby bus stop bench. 

" ok... So there goes that lead.. now i just need to catch my breath, maybe find a map while i look for more clues."

"Get back here you bar wench!" Pawel yelled, raising his fist at the fleeing Katheeri in anger. "Ah, screw her Tiger. We have to get that kid, Zefran." He quickly dismissed the Katheeri. "I think... he drove off..." Pawel swiveled his head around in an attempt to find out where the car he was in went, but failed. "Where did he go...? Tiger, snap out of it and bring yourself to the here and now. Get your people to track that SUV.... God, what was it?!"

~

The brown-scaled Ruthenian drove the truck into a nondescript warehouse in an industrial district of Corneria, far from the prying eyes of the CDF. Adm. Chmielnicki was waking up after being knocked unconscious, and quickly tied him up with a ziptie. He then dragged the admiral out of the cab, and threw him onto the floor. The admiral grunted as the force of the impact shook him back into consciousness. The admiral groaned into awareness.

"What do you want... Peasant?" Maciej questioned in Polan Ruthenian. While the brown-scaled Ruthenian could most certainly understand the admiral, and indeed all the other Ruthenian dialects, he preferred to speak Bolghar Ruthenian.

"You speak my way," said the Bolghar.

"Fine," said Maciej, speaking in Bolghar Ruthenian. "What do you want?"

"Information," replied the Bolghar. "On the Katheeri."

"Why would you want to know about the Katheeri?" asked Maciej, eventually shuffling his way to a kneeling position. The Bolghar kicked him in the face, causing the admiral to fall onto his back.

"Just answer the question!" said the Bolghar.

"Who are you anyway?"

"Boris." Now, to both of them, this was a largely useless answer. There were more Ruthenians named Boris than there were stars in their Empire.

"God damn you, whoever you are!" said the admiral, enraged, squirming on the ground. Now, at this time, Boris had grasped a large wrench, and he swung it at Maciej's right kneecap, shattering it. The admiral cried out in terrible pain and agony.

"Tell me what you know Admiral!" Boris demanded.

"You really think you'll win, peasant?" quesitoned Maciej. "You are about to experience pain on a whole new level!"

"Perhaps..." replied Boris. "But not before you!" He swung again, this time obliterating the admiral's left kneecap, who cried out in pain again. "I do not tire of this. Do you?" The admiral panted and groaned in paralyzing pain, but he did not speak. Boris dropped the wrench, and moved back to the truck. He returned with a riot baton, with an electrified tip for subduing unruly individuals, although Boris had ramped up the charge to maximum, which is almost lethal. He turned it on, and stabbed the admiral in the side, who seized up, with several thousand volts of electricity running through him. Boris stopped to ask him once more:

"What do you know of the Katheeri?"

The admiral stayed silent, and endured another round of electrification.

"What do you know of the Katheeri?"

Again, the admiral gave no answer, and received more shocks.

"You think because you say nothing... you are strong?"

The admiral simply laid on the floor of the empty warehouse, silent, breathing heavily. Boris raised an eyebrow, then left the admiral. About a minute later, he returned with another figure, bound and gagged. It was a woman, and he threw her onto the floor beside him. It was his daughter, and Pawel's sister: Antonia.

"Antonia..." uttered the admiral. She whimpered and cried out to her father, but was stifled by the gag. "What do you want to know?" the admiral questioned. Boris smiled from behind his gas mask.

"Like I said, everything about the Katheeri."

"Yeah... Yeah... I understand..."

Tiger gave Pawel a bit of a glare, but did his best to focus on the situation. "I guess I'm as lost as you." He said, "I was the only one of my team to track where Zef and that girl had gone.  I don't know where the Hell the rest of my team is other than Hawk.  And he should be with that one Katheeri who crashed the party.  Along with the doctor who helped us yesterday and that other woman who had hit Zef with her car..." He then looked, and saw that there were security cameras around.

"Now just calm down, Major." Tiger added as he pointed to the camera, "These things are on all hours of the day, all days of the week.  There's a damn good chance, one hundred percent I'd say, that the whole thing was caught on them.  I'll raise my sister on the radio, and have her check in with security and review the footage.  That red furred bitch isn't getting far once we get a look at that footage.  In the mean time, might I suggest you and I head back to the room to check in on our 'guest?'"

"Yeah, I'm okay." Zefran groaned, head reeling from the excitement.

He looked back and relaxed with relief. Nobody was following them anymore. He had made it past the first hurtle. Despite the small victory, he felt a claw of doubt snag in his stomach. He was running scared and with no plan. He needed to find Antoine, but how would he do that? He was one person.

In that moment, he felt smaller than he ever had in his life. There was a long road ahead of him.

CHAPTER 1

CHAPTER 2

(One day later)

Zefran stirred softly in his bed, the rays of sunlight sifting through the window waking him. The day before felt so unreal. For a moment he thought he had dreamed it. Opening his eyes to the unfamiliar walls, he knew it was a reality. He felt so lost. What was he going to do now?

"Psst!" Came a soft hiss nearby.

The hair on the nape of his neck rose in alarm as he looked around, and he fell out of bed with an audible yelp when he saw the black-furred Katheeri from the day before perched on the windowsill.

"You!" He squeaked.

"Keep your voice down." She hissed, stepping inside and closing the window, "I need you to come with me now. I can explain everything on the way."

"No way, I am not going off with anyone until I have some answers." Zefran frowned, "Who are you? And how do you know me?"

The girl shifted on her feet impatiently. "My name is Aura. And how I know you is a long story that I don't have time to tell you here. Please don't make me carry you." She sighed, "I realize this must be very jarring, but please believe me when I say I have a very small window of time to operate in. I need to get you and my friend back home."

"I have people here I care about too." Zefran was firm, "And I'm not leaving without them. Now how do you know me?"

Aura sighed in defeat. "It's not that I know you personally. But I do know those you were close to back home. Your real home in the Aiolius Cluster."

Amelia had spent the entire night staring at the ceiling, unable to sleep a wink from being wired and nervous due to the previous day's events. She was sure they were going to track her down, kick her door in, and haul her off to prison where she would never see her kids or the light of day ever again.

She gripped her coffee cup, thinking about this as she stared at the white creamer marrying with the dark liquid to make a limpid light brown color.

No turning back now.

Getting up from the stool, she went for the stairs to check on her guest. Before she sent Max and Kiersey off to school, she hugged them and told them how much she loved them, not sure if she'd ever see them again after today. She'd called Derek and told them to pick them up from school and look after them because she was going on "a trip" and that she wasn't sure when she'd be back. She'd made a mistake, she'd told him, and despite Derek's urgent line of questioning, she left it at that.

She stopped outside the door of the guest bedroom and knocked.

"Did you know who he was?" Pawel asked, who stood bedside. His father, laying in a bed in Veterans Hospital, recovering from his torture, shook his head.

"He called himself Boris," replied Maciej. "He's a Bolghar: a peasant. Likely here only on a visa. I'm sorry, son, but that's all I got."

"You know..." started Antonia, standing beside Pawel. "His accent definitely sounded like he was from one of the worlds of the Balkan Sector, not the Capital Sector. And since he's a Bolghar... I'm guessing he's from either Pirin or Chernomorie. Those are the planets with the largest Bolghar population in that region."

"Hmm, that sure narrow things down, but not by much," bemoaned Pawel. "Still, whoever this guy is, I will find him and I will fucking destroy him." His right hand balled into a fist when he said this. "I gotta go, Zefran is still out there somewhere, and that bitch who whisked him away is going to pay."

"Major," butted in Maciej, trying to reign his son in. "Calm down. Don't let your emotions dictate your actions. Just find Zefran, and leave that woman to the police. Worst thing she'd be guilty of is obstruction, and probably speeding." Pawel scoffed, said his goodbyes, and parted from their presence.

CDF Supply Base Alpha, Port D23, Corneria City: 10:00 hours.  Aboard the Sanctuary Tiger.

Tiger looked on at their "guest" who was in a brig cell.  The guy wasn't talking much, and Tiger had already figured out that threatening him wasn't going to do anything.  Mainly due to Alek's attempts having not worked, and from what both Hawk and Copper had said.  Thankfully, Alek and that strange girl were no allowed onboard once the transfer had completed.  As Kola had said to him, Alek gave off a creepy aura.  Tiger agreed, the dog gave him the creeps too, and he was a former Hell Cat from his brief stint in the now disbanded black ops group from the Lylat Wars.  So he knew what creepy was, and not much could creep him out.  Something ate at him from the back of his mind though, somehow, he knew he'd see those two again.  At the same time, he had made sure to order Renard, who had later been called by General Pepper to link up with the merc group, along with Sven and Jess, to keep an eye out in the loading dock of the ship.  A test of loyalty as it were, since Tiger didn't quite trust mystics.

They were still taking on new supplies, but they wouldn't be going anywhere until they got something out of Sitka.  Which it was clear, by the tone of the General, that they needed to get something out of him in order to proceed.  Until then, the team was busy with their own things, Zera was working in the hangar bays, getting the Arwings, Gunwing, Hydrowing, and the one working Landmaster up to spec again.  Kola was busy working the social media, looking for the girl who had absconded with Zef.  She would be looking up Amelia's social media accounts next, having a feeling there was a connection.  They had already given the authorities footage that the security cameras had recorded of the car speeding off.  They had already deduced it was a rental based on the markings and plates.  So it was a matter of narrowing down which rental agency it was.

Jeena meanwhile was working out in the ship's gym, taking her frustrations out on a punching bag while in a tight fitting tank-top and sweat pants with her bare feet.  This was to allow her to dig her toe claws into the punching bag with each kick, allowing her to vent into it.

Hawk meanwhile was wandering the halls of the ship, keeping an eye out.  He still couldn't get over the past days events, it all seemed so unreal to him.  And yet, here they were, with what amounted to a Leprechaun in their brig.  He was also considering taking his Arwing out for a spin to help clear his mind.

Copper was in his quarters, looking over the reports on the Admiral's condition.  It was fortunate that he had been sent home alive, along with his daughter, but the brazen Ruthenian...  The owl pinched the bridge of his beak as he closed his eyes.  He knew full well about Ruthenians, and especially the lower class.  Those people would be willing to do anything if it meant a better life for them.  That made them especially dangerous, and there was no telling what could happen next.  He silently made a prayer to Yeshua for the safety of Zef as well as the girl who absconded with him.  No one deserved to be threatened and harmed by a desperate man who saw an opportunity for advancement.

Returning back to Tiger, he was looking at Sitka, thinking on what to say. "You know, I was told you don't think of a lot of people as being trust worthy..." He said to the captive. "I've lately been wondering if the stories about Katheeri were true...  Specifically, the ones about them being deceptive, and manipulative.  So, while it won't count for much, given we both have a mutual distrust, I want to try and change that.  What do you make of me?  The foul smelling sinner that I am?"

Simo walked up the boarding ramp, a small baggage cart loaded with his equipment followed him as he approached the hanger bay opening. 

"Infiltrate and exterminate." He said silently to himself, something just felt off about this mission, made the hair on his neck stand up. The Fichinan operative stopped at the top of the ramp, laying down the rifle bag he had in his hand on the ground.

Sven saw the grey armor and recognized it instantly as his new squad mate. Pushing himself off the railing he walked across the hanger to him. "You Simo?" He asked as he held out his hand.

The Doberman looked at his outstretched hand with visible disgust. "Yes." 

Sven slowly drew his hand back "Drop your gear off over there" he pointed towards the shuttle." 

'And a big ol fuck you too cup cake' Sven turned and walked off, calling Tiger to let him know the newest member had arrived.

Renard looked over at the happenings in the bay. He was idle for now, The Oddly named lupine hero scanning his eyes over the boxes, looking a queer sight with a crystalline sword at his hip, and across from it, his pistol, seemingly made from the same substance.

He wondered what his liason, and by extension the general had in mind hooking him up with such a small, yet specially trained mercenary group. he wasn't here to cause troubles, but whether you're a soldier or an adventurer, one must always follow the chain of command.

"...What about Andross' teleportation tech? Is it possible for a miniature reconstruction?" 

Alek was pacing back and forth in an office in front of a screen. The light of the screen illuminated the darkened room and presented three faces on the screen that were too blurry to make out. Alek's hair was out of line with sleeves rolled up. He took care in those folds however, with neat edges around the cuff. It did nothing for his complexion. Sweat was rolling down his face which was swept up by a towel on a desk. 

"That is impossible. There's no such ability to recreate that enviroment on a slimmed down scale." a voice came over. It was feminine but broken. The sound of speech through a old radio.

"Well there has to be something. We cannot loose this opportunity!" Alek replied. "Do we have any assets at the complex?"

"Yes." Another voice, more masculine "However the chain of command is on alert. I highly doubt they would be easily motivated to move the being into open custody status." 

"I'm aware. For the meantime keep tabs on the situation. I want locations and the status of the ship, what hanger, flight plans, anything." Alek asserted. 

"How are the media connections?" A second masculine voice rose.

"Not well. It will take a few days for the story to be accepted. The public will come around eventually with saturation." the female spoke up again. 

"Ensure it stays that way." The screen closed out. Alek wiped his brow once more before throwing the cloth on a table. This wasn't a easy situation. He didn't risk mentioning Shepard out of his own sake but he needed a concourse of information to better know this playing ground. He grabbed two water bottles and left the office, down a hall where Shepard waited.

He extended his arm as an offering.  

While Alek was busy with his shady doctor business, Shepherd had been distracting herself with searching any available data on Star Tiger's ship through her holo-com. Beside her searches was a projection of the ship, "Sanctuary Tiger", with a map of it's inner workings... the vixen glared at the ship, a map with some of it's inner workings, most of it guess work based on images that didn't reveal much, one source was an alleged interview with the team's leader.

It was like putting together a jigsaw puzzle with missing pieces and others from an entirely different set.

For everything that was left she'd have to fill in the blanks by cross referencing ships of similar size and if she was lucky, shape as well.

The sound of the doctor's approach pulled Shepherd out of her thoughts, glancing at the dog, she spied the bottles in his hand. At first her thoughts were filled with suspicion, though she couldn't think of what he'd have to gain by handing her a fixed drink, so she accepted the bottle once he reached her and offered.

"I'm assuming the mercenaries will be groundside until they find the boy." The cerinian stated, discarding pleasantries and thank yous in favor of getting down to business, "I'm not quite sure how long that will be, or if... Zefran, was it? If Zefran will continue to elude them."

Shepherd took a moment to twist the cap off her water, before adding. "Tracking him down is a pointless task and would only serve to have eyes on us that we don't need looking, I'm sure you'll agree."

• 3 weeks later...

"Yeah. Hell by now he may have a whole new face. It's going to be finding a needle in a haystack in a Hay field to find that kid." He sat with a thump, it's been a long day. "And those ... mercenaries must have the other one tight locked up in a Cornelian base. However this happens, it's not going to be easy." He took a sip from the water bottle and re capped it. "I don't suppose you have any ideas on how to proceed?" Alek inquired. Alek didn't want to launch the first idea. Breaking into a Cornelian base, the thought of it was bad all around. Someone would notice; there would be a story and this is one story that would be hard to keep quiet. 

Zefran jolted in alarm at the knock. Amelia had been so nice letting him stay in her home after he dragged her on this crazy stunt. He didn't want to cause her any more trouble, and yet trouble had found him again.

"U-Uh, good morning!" He called out, "I'll be right there!"

He turned to see Aura striding up to the door.

"What are you–" he started after her, but he was too late.

Aura opened the door with a cautious gaze. "Before you freak out. I have answers for you." she said quickly, knowing she was likely the last person this woman wanted to see again.

--------

Sitka was sitting calmly on the shelf that was technically his bed. His legs crossed, hands joined and eyes closed, he meditated on his situation. Patience was the wisest option here. Aura was safely under the radar. She would fulfill their mission. He would do his part and bide his time quietly.

Upon hearing a voice speak to him, he chuckled.  "You're afraid. It's understandable. We are a doomed race, same as yours. We fall victim to our own misgivings."

"I'm not afraid." Tiger said in response, "Cautious, yes, but not afraid.  Others are though, and I hardly blame them.  But it would help both sides if we can figure out how to deal with those misgivings." He was a bit miffed though, given how Sitka was cryptic with his response. "I suppose all races are doomed in the end.  The universe would ultimately be doomed too.  But how so is a matter of religious debate.  That's not what we're discussing though.  What I need is-"

Tiger was then interrupted by his head set signalling him that he was being contacted. "Give me a second..." He said to Sitka with a bit of irritation present in his voice.  It wasn't directed at the Katheeri, more at being interrupted. "This better be important, Sven." Tiger said as he answered the call. "I'm kind of under a time crunch to build trust with our guest..."

Renard sighed as he finished his menial task and made his way to whatever could pass as a common room for this ship

" All the mercenary bands I could have hooked up with on this Leve." He grumbled to himself as he looked at the stark steel walls and heard the floor clank under his boots.

"And I get... Starfox Lite." He said bleakly. Star Tiger's approach to things could be either so by the book it'll put him to sleep, or needlessly reckless.

HE sighed as he rounded a corner to find a room with some rather comfy looking chairs, the lupine heaving a sigh as he settled into one, gazing out the viewscreens to see the camera's view of wherever they were

"Any ideas? Hm..." The vixen echoed before taking a sip of water, "You're in luck doctor, though as fair warning, the plan may have a tad more risk and unknowns involved then a man of your profession might be used to."

Shepherd motioned the projection of the "sanctuary tiger", the unknowns she mentioned being on full display. 

"There's no mistaking that the mercenaries will continue to be involved with our cryptid of interest, that said, I can't be certain that the Katheeri is with them."

"What I can be certain of, however, is something on board that will let us know where he is or at least help find someone who does." Shepherd silently hoped she was right, or at least wrong about the Katheeri not being aboard the ship. The idea of infiltrating places with higher security was an appeal akin to a death sentence.

"Before I continue, your enhancements, anything in them that might contribute?" She questioned as she eyed the german shepherd's arm.