Survival on an unknown planet (Casual)

UAZ-469

"No, lady, but thanks anyway," Pawel said, brushing her off once again.

"I don't want you bringing that.... that... that! with you. I don't need it to try and rob me, okay? And if it really wanted to rob me, it would've shot me before I even saw it coming. So that means one of two things: it's stupid or it doesn't have any ammo. I'm betting my bottom dollar that it's out of ammo. So, I go, before it find a bullet to take me out with."

Pawel continued walking. However, as he passed a tall tree with a rather thick trunk, he felt wood splinters smack against his face. The sharp crack of a rifle echoed throughout the woods. He instantly dropped to the ground, a splinter lodged in his eyebrow. Grasping his shotgun and cocking it, he laid prone, trying to find out where the shot came from.

"If that is what you want...sorry to bother you..." Muryin turned and walked away without the same vigor he had running after him to convince him to stay. She felt that she had that apeffect on people, always being optimistic when in reality she was just as or more terrified of the situation then anyone else. She wasn't fooling anyone, she was only fooling herself. Soon the medical supplies would run out and so would her usefulness.

Muryin felt like she had aged a 100 years by the time walked away...or maybe it was the bullet that passed through her thigh.

She fell like her feet had been torn from underneath her as the burning pain moved up her side as she began to bleed out.

Kaan ducked as he heard the rifle shot. More humans? A look of disgust and hatred colored his face as he searched for the marksmen.

Kimari's focus had been to his gun, but it jumped to the AI driven vehicle. He stared down the mounted gun and stood alert, his right hand moving toward his collar, motioning the LED to green. At first, his tongue spouted pure nonsense to all but Loran, but quickly made itself into a common language towards the AI and to the rest. 

Loran was just as terrified, but stayed down behind the nearby brush.

Kimari spoke as he went to protect the medic, reacting to the gunshot she felt.

"Do not be alarmed, but I advise you stay down. Loran! Keep watch of that car, do not hesitate in using magic this time. If it fires, use force. "

Loran gives a proud confirmation with her trademark smile. "10-4, K!"

Crawling away or atleast attempting to, Muryin felt pain she had never felt before as she went for so e cover. She examined the Blood pooling and the hole it had left in the bullets wake. Her hands quaked from the pain as she tied a a clothe to cut off circulation.

Muryin resisted the urge to uses morphine, the other would need it more she did. She bit her bottom lip.

Hey, wait!”, it yelled after them infuriated about their impudence to defy his orders. “Who do you think you are?! Come back or I will... god damn it. And that's why nobody takes you seriously, Andrej.”
But there were also those two other aliens, one of them trying to be brave and attempting to stare it down, though it only amused it. Once the AI would have put a nice hole between those eyes, their courage should break quickly. Too bad it had no bullets left, so it had somehow to keep up with that mind games. It still had no solution in the case of a serious assault except for trying to use its mass or simply fleeing. So the vehicle ordered, “What are you waiting for? Put your weapons down, nice and slowly...”

Enough...”
What?” That weak voice that sounded like someone dying...
Andrej could move his mouth again?
Step...back...”
You can't be serious, old man. You are asking me to spare our enemies? That is treachery in its finest form, you know that?”
That...is an...order...” It growled disappointed.
Fine...Sir.” Then the AI chuckled and whispered barely audible, “Let's see how you like dirty water then...”
The Ural then reversed slowly into the river and dived in, until only the front with the headlights and the gun's barrel stuck out and washed itself from the moss, wood, mud and plants, all of which flowed into the river – and ignoring the gunshot, since it patiently waited for the right opportunity to kill everyone at once.
And if someone else did the job just fine, why bother to intervene?

Kaan ran through the jungle like some wild animal, leaping and climbing with no obstacle to halt him or contain his advance. There was a shimmer coming off him as he went. Just what was it? It was almost as if his was body was about to combust from the inside out. Finding a target, he threw his spear and while leaping unsheathed his sword.

But as soon as he made contact with the ground, the sniper was gone.

"Dammit!" Kaan exclaimed as he searched for his spear. It wasn't a total loss as he found he had killed a flightless medium sizedbird, taking both it and his spear back to camp.

Muryin observed Kimari's advance and promptly gave a hand signal to stay back. She didn't want anyone else to get hurt, not with a sniper on the loose. Her wound wasn't too bad but it was still gushing as Muryin held it tightly.

Pawel dared to peek his head up from his hiding spot amongst small ferns and other foliage. No figure. No glint from a rifle scope. Not even the faint outline of a camouflaged individual with an invisibility generator. Nothing. It was as if the sniper was not even there. Pawel then saw something tied to a tree trunk, hidden by an adjacent sapling's leaves. It was a rifle, and a strange one at that. It was not a blaster rifle, but a black powder firearm. He got up and moved to it.

"Martini-Henry, single shot," Pawel said to himself. He examined a strange scope attached atop the rifle. Looking down it, he realized it was motion-triggered camera, originally manufactured to photograph wild animals without the disturbing presence of a photographer. However, it has since been jerryrigged to release a latch, therefore squeezing the trigger. No doubt it was meant for Pawel when he unknowingly strayed into the camera's sights.

"Very clever."

Kimari observed the order, kneeling down a few feet away from Muryin. He wasn't prone to follow another person's orders, but as her order came to mind, the thought of the 'Corpse Bait' tactic came to mind. He nodded and focused on the treelines, eyeing for any scope flare or any sign of the other attacker.

Loran was a different story, but she followed the lead of Kimari for a majority of the plan. She focused on the AI, tasked with fighting it if it were to fire, but it's attitude caused her to gather her focus.

Slowing down her perception of time, she dashed over Kimari like a springboard, and landed on top of the vehicle, seemingly teleporting in less than a second. Her collar showed a yellow LED, and was still running darker...

Looking around him, and still seeing no sign of any hostile (the strange talking truck notwithstanding), Pawel returned to the makeshift camp.

"Alright folks," he began, "it's all clear. The shooter wasn't even here: it was a trap for me." However, as he turned back to camp, he saw Muryin on the ground, writhing in pain. She gripped her leg as blood flowed out of a wound. "Oh God, how bad is it?" he asked, going to her.

"I-It is not bad. I will be fine, but will be will useless for a while." She said struggling to stand up. Since forever it seemed Muryin hated being a bother to people and at times refused the charity of others for fear of it being wasted. Muryin had always been that way, making sure everyone else was fed and cared for at her own expense. It was if Muryin was paying for a grievous sin that she dared not tell the others. Whatever the case she determined to return to camp under her own power.

The Ural was quite astonished by the presence of a small polar bear on its top, apparently fearless despite being threatened. The whole situation confused it to the point, where it couldn't calculate if that bear was a legitimately danger or just trying to be a distraction.
Andrej, whatever freaks you drag along with you, could you please tell that oversized furry soft-toy to leave us alone and play with the children instead? You might also want to take it with you for their entertainment.”

But the old officer, continuing to lay paralysed on the ground, worried about the gunshot and if it hit someone.
My assault...rifle...please.”

Proud to be on the barrel of the AI's gun, Loran couldn't understand what it was saying, too distorted by how fast she tended to be in focus. Simply hanging on, she took to hitting her right hand on the barrel repeatedly. She had once punched Andrej's shin playfully out of her focus, of which did nothing, but if she did it while IN focus, she would have surely dealt damage.

That was the case with the AI's barrel: slowly, but indeed surely, the metal tube began to dent. It wasn't without consequence, as her right hand became bloodied, and her collar had shown the orange LED, her warning to cease Focus...

Kimari remained alert for the possible attacker, even if it had been a trap. He was instinctively hunting with his eyes, worried for both Andrej and Muryin. He inched closer to Andrej in attempt to secure him.

Kaan made his entrance to the sound of singing steel. He had unsheathed his sword, twirled it twice and pointed the cruel edge at the truck. "Human craft shouldn't talk. It's unholy..."

Impressive, how that feeble and maybe rabid bear somehow managed to wreck its machine gun 42 and thus breaking its, albeit very weak, shields, but since the lorry had no bullets left anyway, it didn't care and instead focused on that man, who pointed his sword at it. And for what? Simply talking?
Oh, look who acts like a tough guy here with that bread knife. I don't know, shouldn't you look out for that marksman or something? Would certainly make more sense than stabbing an old rusty bucket.”

Meanwhile Andrej again weakly repeated his plea for his assault rifle. Considering he was their most heavily armed man, he felt responsible for protecting them from that unknown sniper.

"Shut up!" Kaan's voice was sharp and direct. "This sword maybe slightly worn and dull, but with its sheer weight and my strength it can tear through most anything. So what will it be? The axel or the engine block?"

The whimpers of Muryin's hobbling caught him off guard. She was damaged? ... That marksmen no doubt, Kaan would deal with "it" later, right now his immediate concern was this chrome menace and corporal Zacca's injury.

"Corporal, sitrep," he barked. Muryin swallowed her pain and answered.

"All is well...Lord Sergeant."

"Then why are you hobbling, corporal if all is well?"

"Just a shot to the leg, nothing to worry about, sir."

A silence fell over Kaan as he stared at the lorry. He returned his sword to its place and started toward Muryin taking her into his arms and to the downed shuttle.

Pawel did not want any of the heated debate that was going on between the talking truck and the man-things. He slowly stepped back, and found a log to sit down on. He placed his hand on his left eyebrow, finally noticing that it was cut and bleeding.

"Damn," he commented to himself. "I need a drink." He took out his bottle of vodka: it was half empty by now. Pawel drank another sip from it, and continued to silently observe this turbulent grouping of sentient beings.

I'm already oiling myself. And come on, just destroy me. Then I will turn this forsaken place into a radiated wasteland.”
No...please...stop...” Andrej knew that their vehicles were nuclear-powered and even just damaging the engine could cause it to leak deadly doses of radiation. While those reactors offered immense power and could function for decades without needing to refuel while also being quiet, it always carried the risk of polluting the environment if damages occurred. One could say that this pollution was one last act of revenge against those attackers who managed to destroy it, and some of them just gave up after learning that their efforts only led to a poisoned world.
Now if you excuse me, I still have to clean myself from all that dirty green stuff and watch over that useless piece of flesh over there.”

Having heard no other gunshot, at least to him, he stood tall, eyeing the soldier and his gun, grabbing it. He held his own gun in his right hand, while walking over to Andrej, kneeling down again to offer the rifle and himself, as a crutch.

Loran's efforts had resulted in the barrel being rendered unusable, not striking it any more than required for the task. As she released her grip on the tube and ejected herself, her collar had produced the red LED, and made an audible beep, loud enough to render Loran out of Focus.

She held her head, right arm nearly consumed by crimson color, suffering a headache and nausea, a byproduct of the magic. Before she flops down to rest, she paints her head once more, saluting with her bloody hand.

"Lord Sergeant, you do not have to-..."

"You know I don't like it when you call me that," Kaan said in a strangely calm tone. He put her down on the deck and struck a readied pose as he rested on one knee, he left with his left elbow and forearm upon. He examined her leg wound more like a barbarian than a licensed nurse.

"I am sorry. It is your title after all," she added. Kaan said nothing and focused on the bleeding to stop. He held onto her thigh with a firm, strong grip. "What should I call you then?"

"Kaan will do."

"Very well, Kaan." Muryin smiled which Kaan caught right away.

"Why are you doing that?"

"D-Doing what?" She asked.

Kaan rolled his eyes, "that thing with your mouth..."

"Smiling? I do it because I am happy."

"And what reason would you have to be happy around me?"

"Because...I do not know. Maybe because you helped put it there."

The warrior invited her words, they seemed to him. When anyone saw him the were either afraid, cautious and flat out hated him. But this girl...she was different. She chose to smile and it confused the hell out of him. He was left with that plaguing question, 'why'?

Thanks, Sir...”, Andrej thanked Kimari quietly. “But I'm...not important...give it to those... who really need it...” He then said, “It's time...to repair the transmitter...and get out of here...” With all his power he could bring up despite the poisoning, he called for the konkistador, who answered in an annoyed tone, “What?”
Help him...with the repairs...of the transmitter...”

Not before you get this teddy off me, it's making my paint dirty.”
Letting out a weak laugh, Andrej simply uttered, “Miss Macrine... please.”

In a dizzying stance, Loran jumps into the lake and treks back, wet from the neck up, at least washing off some of her bloody arm in the process. Still suffering from a bit of her nausea, she flops on the grass and hangs her neck in a slight daze, attempting to rest a bit, not before holding a thumbs up to Andrej.

Kimari began to hoist Andrej to his level, practically never letting the soldier touch the ground, his 7'0 to the man's 6'3. He nods to both Loran for the effort, and to Andrej, speaking to him in his deep tone for the first time.

"Soldiers such as yourself should not be deemed unimportant. You might not have the strength to hold such a weapon right now I predict, but for a measly Human scent, you are one of the few soldiers with honor that I see. Hold yourself higher in life and in battle."

"A human who doesn't hold himself high is sinning against his own nature," Kaan jabbed verbally as he passed Kimari and Andrej. "You don't need to remind them, it's in there blood. One minute they're sorry for themselves and the next they're ripping planets apart for their resources and it's guys like him they send to quell the restless natives."

I admit that humans did many questionable things”, Andrej said, his voice now much clearer than before. “But I know that not everyone is like that. And I will prove today that humans are capable of more instead of only destroying and killing.” The old soldier called again for the lorry, who followed this time.
I don't know about you both, but despite the planet's beauty, I'm not longer interested in staying here. I have a family, and I won't stop going until I meet them again.”
Which you likely won't”, the konkistador threw in. “Because I will make sure that our superior will end you.”

"Heresy," Kaan chuckled, "you will go back if you survive. In more ways than one, you will go back and no little peaceful dream of a little woman, little house with a little white fence will be a reality...you will go back."

Kaan's eyes burned like two lit candles, they had bore witnessed to much hatred and distrust to know that there is no such thing as respite or do gooding. There is nature and there is instinct, there not a unlining sense of reason to war and genocide. It's all part of nature's plan to favor the strong and logic and reason are weaknesses in the rules of the games. It's not about being a good, or a white hat in a world of black hats, it's about getting high score before the slate is wiped for the next one in line.

"You will go back, it's in your blood," Kaan said literally inches from Anderj's face, before retrieving Muryin's medical bag.

Feeling that this man would cause problems later on, Andrej said, “Look, I know you dislike me, but I'm certain that arguing right now about morals and such will only waste precious time. Time, those creatures outside our camp can use to overrun us.”
As much as I hate this gutless bastard”, the lorry chimed in, causing the soldier to groan. “I have seen freaky things out there, should they find our embarrassing encampment and choose us as their next meal, there's nothing we can do, except fleeing – from this very hell hole. But my systems are wet and damaged from previous attacks, so if repairing Andrej's ominous transmitter works, then we should start with it right now.”