Jets or helicopters?

Geo Stelar

Honestly, which would you prefer to use in a war?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Honestly, which would you prefer to use in a war?

• Jet
    • Helicopter

We're talking which you like better, not which is better alright? They both have their pros and cons.

But we can still say 'Why I like one over the other'.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kursed

• Geo Stelar

• Sabre

• Mr. Foxer

I prefer jets. I find that the pros of speed outweigh the cons of not being able to slow down. Or turn.  :P

Also, if you get shot at, you can run away at Mach 2!

yeah but can you escape Sams? Helecopters usually fly low so their below radar.

yeah but can you escape Sams? Helecopters usually fly low so their below radar.

If you fly below about 200 feet AGL at above 400 knots indicated, there is a very slim chance of any SAM sites being able to lock on to you. As for Stingers, which are heat-seeking, You can usually be out of the firing envelope before the grunt can padlock you, and even if he does fire, a couple quick jinks and some flares will usually clear your tail. The Stinger has a huge energy disadvantage, which you can take advantage of.

On the other hand, helicopters usually have very low energy, and are not fast enough to deke a SAM. They have to rely on ECM to dodge radar-guided missiles, and they have to shield their hot bits (engine exhaust, transmission) from IR seekers. Because of this, helicopters usually don't make good deep-strike aircraft.

If you fly below about 200 feet AGL at above 400 knots indicated, there is a very slim chance of any SAM sites being able to lock on to you. As for Stingers, which are heat-seeking, You can usually be out of the firing envelope before the grunt can padlock you, and even if he does fire, a couple quick jinks and some flares will usually clear your tail. The Stinger has a huge energy disadvantage, which you can take advantage of.

On the other hand, helicopters usually have very low energy, and are not fast enough to deke a SAM. They have to rely on ECM to dodge radar-guided missiles, and they have to shield their hot bits (engine exhaust, transmission) from IR seekers. Because of this, helicopters usually don't make good deep-strike aircraft.

That's what the comanche was suppose to fix.

That's what the comanche was suppose to fix.

And sadly and unfortunately Commanche wasn't.. officially released.

I actually think that the Osprey is a good compromise. It's fast, it can hover, and a gunship version would be kick-a$$. Useless for air-to-air, but that's what F-15s and 22s are for.

They say F-15's haven't yet been beaten in any battle or war

Heck, I think it depends on the pilot rather than the craft

An excellent fighter could beat an F-15 with an F-14....... I think :oops:

I actually think that the Osprey is a good compromise. It's fast, it can hover, and a gunship version would be kick-a$$. Useless for air-to-air, but that's what F-15s and 22s are for.

Wasn't the ospray completly useless, or at least a failed attempt to replace the harrier?

They need a jet Version of the osprey and no Sabre it was not i don't even think the Osprey is even a replacement for teh harrier considering it's a troop transport. PersonallY i prefure a SPecture gunship but they really need to make a jet version of these.

An excellent fighter could beat an F-15 with an F-14....... I think :oops:

Actually, the '14 and '15 are about on even terms. Back when they were new, the F-14 had a big edge over the F-15, because it could out-climb and out-turn the F-15A and B, and had a much better radar and weapons suite. However, as time went on, the F-14 proved to be more maintenance-intensive, and was held back by navy regulations, while the F-15 was upgraded further. IMHO, the F-14 will always be a better fighter, while the F-15 is a better multirole platform.

They need a jet Version of the osprey and no Sabre it was not i don't even think the Osprey is even a replacement for teh harrier considering it's a troop transport. PersonallY i prefure a SPecture gunship but they really need to make a jet version of these.

Yeah, the Osprey was intended to be a fast, but VTOL, troop support craft, not a replacement for the Harrier. If anything, it would replace the Hueys and Black Hawks, but the Osprey is just so expensive...

As for a jet-powered Osprey or AC-130, adding jets would just cause loads of problems (shorter range, increased FOD, lower TBO, etc), and neither plane would end up being much faster. Turboprops do have some advantages.

Guest Julius Quasar

Wasn't the ospray completly useless, or at least a failed attempt to replace the harrier?

Yeah, unfortunately... *plays trumpet "Whoomp-whoomp-whoooomp" tune*

totally.

Actually, the '14 and '15 are about on even terms. Back when they were new, the F-14 had a big edge over the F-15, because it could out-climb and out-turn the F-15A and B, and had a much better radar and weapons suite. However, as time went on, the F-14 proved to be more maintenance-intensive, and was held back by navy regulations, while the F-15 was upgraded further. IMHO, the F-14 will always be a better fighter, while the F-15 is a better multirole platform.

Yeah, the Osprey was intended to be a fast, but VTOL, troop support craft, not a replacement for the Harrier. If anything, it would replace the Hueys and Black Hawks, but the Osprey is just so expensive...

As for a jet-powered Osprey or AC-130, adding jets would just cause loads of problems (shorter range, increased FOD, lower TBO, etc), and neither plane would end up being much faster. Turboprops do have some advantages.

D'oh!

As for my vote: JET

I donno I still like the Vtol

Yeah VTOLs are excellent but when they use that vertical launch/landing, they use more fuel. I'm not saying they're bad, though, they only use it when launching and landing.

arwing could kill hele

Not if the heli's pilot is has very EXCELLENT skill

about 1 in a trillion copters can survive an arwing battle and win :D