Calling all Assault fans.

Milkyway64

36 members have voted

1. 1. Was Krystal a key factor in resolving either of the two game's plots?

• Yes, without her the mission would have failed.
    • Yes, but she wasn't nearly as helpful as the toads or Peppy.
    • No. She didn't do anything.

So Krystal made her debut in Adventures and returned in assault, and a conversation brought up a question. In Assault especially, is Krystal heroic? Compared to Peppy's sacrifice, Slippy's reasearch work, and Beltino's engineering, can we really say she was critical to the plot at all? Could the issue have been resolved if she wasn't there at all?

i think the mission would have gone alright with out here, just not aswel of course. as they say the more the merreir!

i am going to start calling you ceaser for you determination

As a matter of fact, without her, the Sauria nest would have gone undetected for a while, giving the Aparoids more backup/counter-attack force so... She wasn't *that* useless! \o/

But overall, yeah, she could have not been there, the game would have been the same... :P

As a matter of fact, without her, the Sauria nest would have gone undetected for a while, giving the Aparoids more backup/counter-attack force so... She wasn't *that* useless! \o/

But overall, yeah, she could have not been there, the game would have been the same... :P

Although honestly, that diversion may have very well been bad anyway because it opened Corneria up to its big attack.

Because I want to know the community's opinion on this question.

Although honestly, that diversion may have very well been bad anyway because it opened Corneria up to its big attack.

Yeah sure, but all Aparoid forces grown out of Sauria would have done some mayhem anyway I believe, so well... ;)

I think I agree with Psygonis there, like peppy said in the first land mission "Good job fox, Clear the area of all enemy's now." They started an assault on Sauria, but they cleared it out quick, They started an assault on corneria, they cleared that up right away, let either of em sit for a bit, and you geeeet... APAROID HOMEWORLD! (Well not quite) But still, Exponential growth seems like the kinda growth these dudes would do, so the longer you leave it the more scary it gets.

Now for a new point:

Peppy, Slippy, Falco... NONE of them really do anything in the plots either, why does it specifically matter that Krystal does nothing? At least Krystal gives you supply rings when you save her, rather then stupid smart bombs in the gameplay. She also give you various compliments throughout the game, those are always nice. :lol:

Honestly, if she was in the series since the first game, would you even care?

Also where's the,"She was not more or less useful then Slippy, Falco and/or Peppy" Option.

Now for a new point:

Peppy, Slippy, Falco... NONE of them really do anything in the plots either, why does it specifically matter that Krystal does nothing? At least Krystal gives you supply rings when you save her, rather then stupid smart bombs in the gameplay

Wha wha WHAAAT? O_o'

Peppy just saves General Pepper and blasts open the final tunnel shield... And sacrifices the Great Fox! All these things are rather key things in the whole storyline!

(But still thanks for agreeing with me in the first part of your message! :D )

Haha how could I forget about that! I was kind of thinking about what they do for the story in starfox 64(which... ya know, Peppy still has quite a roll in that one too now that I think about it.) So Peppy rocks, But Falco and Slippy, I mean I still think they rock, I think all the characters rock, but what more do they do that Krystal doesn't?

Slippy and Beltino are almost entirely behind the whole "figuring out what an aparoid is" operation and ultimately finding their house.

also loool at the top option having three votes. I was kind of afraid that'd happen, because I don't see anything worthwhile that she did.

Yeah, I'd be curious to see what arguments they have up their sleeves! :P

I really see nothing that Krystal added to the story. Sure, some of her fan-interpretations are nice, and the PLETHORA of fanart certainly bolsters her popularity, but she really didn't add much to the series or its story line. All she really did was side-track us to a planet that never existed before and then made us return to it in Assault, and I'm sure the presence of aparoids on Sauria would've been detected as they were able to find the aparoid homeworld with relative ease.

I guess I vote a mix between, "Yes, but she wasn't nearly as helpful as the toads or Peppy." and, "No, She didn't do anything."

She is helpful in a very minor sense, but deep down she is just another, "Fox, get this guy off me!"

I can't say she "did nothing" but if I remember well, the only thing she did was point the obvious when it came to killing bosses, aside that, a couple kills here and there, and I think even slippy had more kills than Krystal, and that's already saying too much.

So I guess, yeah, with or without her, it would have been a mission complete.

She helps some, but I would never say she's ever been crucial to any missions yet.

Krystal does one arguable useless piece of plot relevence in Assault: if it wasn't for her, Corneria wouldn't have gotten blind sided because she's the entire reason Starfox went to Sauria.

... so in effect Krystal is indirectly responsible for the ruin of the gem of Lylat.

• Like 1

Krystal was completely useless in Assault.

Her "power" didn't do anything at all; the enemy weak points were still visible when she was down. She had no solid role on the team; Slippy was the mechanic (displays boss gauges) and Falco was the Ace Pilot (shoots more dudes) and Krystal...was a "Telepath" whose powers had absolutely no effect on anything. If they had simply made it so that Krystal's powers actually WERE necessary to reveal enemy weakpoints, that in itself would justify her existence. But it doesn't. As a gameplay mechanic, she is useless.

The Sauria thing was terrible for two reasons: 1. the entire level was a red herring to make up an excuse for allowing Corneria to get invaded and 2. the "distress signal" could have probably been picked up by the Great Fox in place of Krystal. Any romantic plot with her and Fox is left completely undeveloped, and doesn't surpass the two of them doting on one another's safety (even though this is never taken advantage of either; we didn't even get some cliche "we think Fox/Krystal is dead!" or rescue scenario, just a lot of whining). Even most of her dialogue could be easily interchanged with Falco or Slippy's and no one would notice. So as a story mechanic...she is also useless.

• Like 1

Hasn't this been like...the third or fourth time this topic (or a remarkably similar one) has been made by Milky desperate for everyone to agree with his POV's on Krystal and to prove anyone else who disagrees with him in previous long, drawn out chats (either IM or forum based) wrong?

Also, I like the fact that out of 20 votes he only has a slight majority (12 people) who agree with him in his assessment. :trollface:

• Like 1

Hasn't this been like...the third or fourth time this topic (or a remarkably similar one) has been made by Milky desperate for everyone to agree with his POV's on Krystal and to prove anyone else who disagrees with him in previous long, drawn out chats (either IM or forum based) wrong?

Also, I like the fact that out of 20 votes he only has a slight majority (12 people) who agree with him in his assessment. :trollface:

not to mention how incredubly stacked this poll is : / the corruption is killiing me

LOL. Corruption? The hell, this isn't an election, and there are three answers: the positive, the neutral and the negative. How is that "stacked"?

Yeah Milky can chill out on the topics but come on, the "some people don't like Krystal" butthurt is hanging out all over the place. Also not sure where you got your numbers there User considering from my end I only see three votes giving Krystal an absolute yes.

I just like how whenever this is brought up the Krystal fans start insulting Milky instead of like, answering his question.