Crestmere High

Naza Sutera

Vlady, upon finishing a chapter in his novel,  closed it and looked to Mr. K.

"Is this all for today, sir?" His Venomian accent thickly resounding throughout the class. 

"And I expect there will be an exam, yes?"

Students' heads turned to Vlady as he spoke, which included the Chmielnicki brothers, Elizabeth, Korben, Salamon, Iosif, and Diana. Mr. K. tossed his laser pointer back and forth between his hands.

"Yeah, more or less," began Mr. K., "that's basically it for today. There's going to be a little quiz thing on Friday, so you got that to look forward to."

Iosif's and Diana's teeth were grinding, while others simply stared, and slowly went back to their own business. Mr. K. noticed this.

"Does anyone else have their work?" he asked.

Vlady wondered why his simple question had gotten him such a hostile response. Did these students not comprehend the value of education?

He shook his head, chuckling under his breath as he did so. He looked at the clock. There wasn't enough time to start another chapter so he leaned backwards and closed his eyes.

Amelia swanned back into class, dumping the last few almond M&Ms from the package into her mouth. She wadded up the bag and discarded it into the trash as she returned to her seat. She noticed that the air felt a little tense, and wondered what happened while she was out.

"Oh, Amelia," said Mr. K., noticing his sharply dressed student walking back in. "Here's your phone." He opened the phone jail and gave Amelia her phone.

"Also, we've got a quiz on Friday. Get ready."

Vlady heeded the words of Mr. K once more as he reminded Amelia of the impending quiz. If this were what he would be examined upon, he was ready. He had no doubt.

"Shoot, how could I forget my pride and joy?" Amelia said as she got up from her desk to collect her phone. Once she got it and turned around, she discreetly unlocked to check her updates and recent messages before getting to her desk and putting it away.

Sven sat at his desk pondering what to do. 'This school is so boring. I wish I was back home.' he thought silently to himself. He felt homesick, and he tried to cover it up but it kept coming back.

Vlady had finished evaluating his fellow students. His verdict? That he was a strange person mixed in with a crowd of strange people. While there were no doubt a good many true blue Cornerians who shared the room with him, a good half of the class were from some other place.

The one called Amelia seemed the most social out of the bunch. The way she carried herself and talked to Mr. K showed that.

The beaver was still a bit of a mystery to him, maybe he was one of those "emo" kids he had heard about from Jasper.

As for the two dragons he could only assume they behaved like the rest of the students as he had overheard their chat about some game whilst he read. However, there was still an aura of order with the two of them. He wondered if he should introduce himself to them or not.

The one named Sven was a tad awkward. It reminded Vlady of his first month on Corneria. Perhaps he should take him under his wing... Or perhaps not. If he did turn out to be a former citizen of one of the Bloc planets, he may not desire interaction with a person who was born and raised on the world that oppressed them.

The rest of the students, at least at this point in time, were irrelevant to him. He would devote further studying to them later.

Amelia looked at the clock. Less than a minute left before the bell rings.

"Ayo, Mr. K.? Do we have any homework tonight?"

"Nah," answered Mr. K. "All you gotta do is study. So study." Mr. K. put down his laser pointer and glanced at the clock. Noticing the period was almost over, he sat down and looked over the papers he was given. He was satisfied that all of the students handed their classwork in. The bell then rang.

"I release you all!" Mr. K. said, gesturing towards the door.

Sven zipped up his bag, but remained seated so the faster students could get around him, seeing that he had no idea how to find his next class.

As the others began filing out of the door, Vlady began packing his bag. However, he placed Yenon tri Comac in his coat pocket. It was not to be touched by anything.

He moves out into the hallway and follows the other students' lead to the next period.

Once the bell rang, Amelia put her things into her school bag and collected that along with her purse to leave. Her classmates had clogged the doorway in a pointless attempt to get out of class quickly. She waited for the traffic to move and entered the breezeway. Boarding the nearest staircase, she headed to the next location on her schedule, where she would be spending homeroom period.

Bohdan and Wladyslaw quickly stuffed their books in their bags and darted out of class, despite their imposing frames. Salamon laughed as they attempted to squeeze through the doorway at the same time, both of them pushing against each other, struggling to get by. They eventually stumbled out into the hallway together, and the duo walked to math class, which was their homeroom. Elizabeth and Korben shared a homeroom as well, which was chemistry. They packed their things and left much more calmly than the brothers, and walked upstairs. Salamon, Iosif, and Diana, who also shared a homeroom in gym class, also packed up and left.

Mr. K. observed the shuffle from one class to another, sitting in his comfortable leather chair with wheels.

"Life goes on," he said.

Vlady took the oppurtunity to find Jasper and Sev as the classes let out. As the droves of students walked seemingly aimlessly throughout the hall, Vlady made his way to the room he had seen the two enter. He stood beside the door as the sea of teenagers poured from the now opened door. Upon seeing the two young teens emerge from the room, he grabs them both by the backs of their shirts. Jasper lets out a small yelp as they are yanked away from their preferred course.

Once he had pulled the two of them away, Vlady begins to question them.

"Did you tell anyone?" He asked them.

"No." They replied in unison.

"Good." Said Vlady, relieved.

"What do you have next?" Jasper asked his uncle.

"Homeroom. I have no clue what class it is, though. You guys?"

"Phys Ed." Sev replied.

"Good." Vlady said. "Get there."

He then pointed at the two of them and walked away.

Korr and Sholt exited the head teacher's office after being given their timetables for their first year at this high school. 

"Cheers, see you later, Dr." Korr said as the door closed.

"So what now?" Sholt asked, as he looked around at bustling crowds of students on their way to their respective classes.

"Now..." Korr started as he looked across the timetable. "Now, we have 'homeroom'." He finished and tucked the paper into his jeans pocket. "With a science teacher, called 'Mrs Helenbach'."

"Homeroom? What do you think that is?" Sholt asked as they started walking, weaving in and out of slower and stationary people.

"Not a clue, man." Korr answered. They made it to the classroom in ample time, with only a few people being there before them.

They didn't want to stick out too much, so they walked right to the back of the room and took a seat in the corner of the room. They threw their PE kits under their tables and started chatting, waiting for a class to start.

Amelia entered her homeroom classroom behind a couple of other students and went to her seat in a middle row next to a windo. She was able to see across the school's football field and running track. Beyond that, there was an large clearing where acres and acres of wooded area was cleared to make way for another housing tract. There had been a demand for suburban housing lately; more and more families were purchasing new homes in the area as of late, and as a result, there had been an influx of new students. Suburbia at it's finest, Amelia thought.

Setting her school bag on the floor next to her, she set her purse on her desk and dug through it to pull out her phone. Finding her pride and joy, she unlocked it to see if she had any new messages or updates...

_ _ _

"Who the heck does Mr. Malcovich think he is?" Amber said as she boarded the staircase to get to Mrs. Helenbach's homeroom class. "He think he a smooth criminal, gon' call himself surprising us with that quiz."

"Ugh, THAT guy..." Derek groaned as he walked next to Amber. "What pisses me off with him is that when he asks you a question, he gets all condescending and moody, like Calculus is a painfully easy concept that has been explained to us a million times...--And wait, he's going to give a surprise quiz? Aw crap! I have him after homeroom! Can't he cut a guy a break? I'm off the team if I don't keep a decent grade in his class."

"Like I said before, I'd be happy to tutor you. To be honest, his attitude about helping people actually pass his class is shot. Sure, I have a decent in his class so it doesn't affect me much, but I think that shit is stupid when when people go to him for help and he's all...Ugh."

"Thanks."

It was pure luck that the three best friends, Amelia Cimmaron, Amber Rose, and Derek Ciriano, happened to be assigned to the same homeroom this year. It goes without saying that it was a big surprise too. The tall and strapping, yet benevolent jock walked along side the Urban Bohemian Princess as they made their way to Mrs. Helenbach's homeroom class. They entered, and saw among the hand full of students that Amelia had seated herself next to the windows, and immediately made their way over to her.

"Hey, Amelia," Derek quipped.

"...Huh?" Amelia looked up, the spell cast upon her by her phone broken by the sound of Derek's baritone. 

"if you love the phone so much, maybe you should marry it," Amber joked.

"Honey, please," Amelia said as she waved her hand dismissively at her friend. "So how was calculus?"

"Girl, Mr. Malcovich calls himself issuing us a pop quiz. He think he slick."

"Did you ace it?"

"I probably got like a B or something. Could have gotten an A. You know how unhelpful he is when teaching."

"Oh my frigging god, he pisses me off," Derek added. "I have, like, a C-. If I get a shitty grade on this quiz, it'll bring me down and I'm off the team."

Vlady walked through the door of Mrs. Helenbach's class and sits in a desk near the back of the room. He takes his book out of his jacket pocket and sets it on the top of his desk. He then takes a small leatherbound notebook out of his backpack and began writing in it.

The brothers watched as more students entered the room. Being new to Corneria, they didn't know exactly how the people on this planet interacted with each other, so they wanted to get a good idea before trying to socialize with anyone.

One person in particular caught their eyes, a canine who seemed like she was dressing to impress. Her whole outfit looked like it would cost more than double both of theirs combined. Korr was wearing a slightly slim-fitting dark red T-shirt with short sleeves, which complimented his lighter orange/brown fur. He also wore dark navy blue jeans which had a pocket on the front of the right leg, with light grey trainers to finish the look. The whole outfit did a good job of showing off his muscular physique. Sholt on the other hand wore a blue T-shirt under a small black jacket with a white trim, with light blue jeans and dark grey trainers which had red markings.

"Do you think we should start speaking to people?" Korr asked. "Perhaps, find out what this class is actually about?" He suggested.

"Eh, we'll give it a few minutes." Sholt said as he grabbed two apples from his bag. He tossed one to Korr and they both started eating.

Bohdan and Wladyslaw hurried themselves inside, and sat down at adjacent tables in the front of the room. Bohdan was a bit closer to the door than Wladyslaw. Bohdan took out his math binder in an effort to finish the worksheet given to him and his brother as homework the day before. Mr. Malcovich was their math teacher.

"Come on, Wladyslaw," Bohdan said in Cornerian, albeit with a thick accent. "We do not even have arithmetic now."

"They call it 'mathematics' here, Bohdan," replied Wladyslaw in the same language, with a much less distinct, faded accent. "And you need more practice with logarithms." Bohdan groaned as he opened his binder and took out his worksheet. Wladyslaw, whose sheet was completely finished, dragged his chair over to his brother's desk, its legs scraping on the linoleum floor.

~

Elizabeth and Korben arrived in chemistry class, on the second floor. They sat together at a lab desk, which they had colonized for themselves in the back of the room. However, despite their position, they still managed to yell out answers and insightful comments when others were stumped. They fancied themselves as the gems of the class. The chemistry teacher, Mrs. Atreides, a bull shark whose grandparents emigrated from Zoness, did not see them in this light, as she viewed all her students as equal.

The two of them fraternized with each other, with Korben taking the lead.

"Do you think I ask Amelia out?" asked Korben, leaning on the table with his arms supporting him. The stools they sat on were not conducive for back support. Elizabeth scratched her left ear before answering.

"Well, you like her," began Elizabeth, "you look smoking, and you're loaded. Of course!"

"But what if she doesn't want any of that?" Korben countered. "What if she wants someone with good character?"

"Korben, have you seen her walk in here in heels? Have you seen how she's glued to her phone? And don't get me started on her designer handbags!" Korben nodded slightly.

"I don't know." Korben sounded hesitant.

"Korben..." continued Elizabeth. "Look at what you came to school in today. Look at your wrist. Look at the sunglasses you wear." Korben was reminded of the jet black two door coupe he came in: 150,000 credits. His wrist was decorated with a Rolex outdoors multi-purpose dura-watch: 4500 credits. His sunglasses, which were men's aviators from Giorgio Armani, cost 300 credits.

"You're filthy rich. Use it."

~

Salamon, Iosif, and Diana threw their bags down against the gymnasium's wall, and sat down on it. Iosif and Diana immediately began talking with one another, scooting to each other. Salamon, meanwhile, played on his phone.

"So, I lay into this bitch--" Amelia was in the middle of yet another of her narratives about someone who "came for her", as she puts it. "--I tell him: First of all, you smell like old Easter eggs, hamburger meat, and your face looks like chewed up Vegemite. And I thought you were the CDF Marines, so why the hell you shopping at Salvation Army? Where'd you get those dead-ass combat boots from? G.I. John Doe? Nigga please. Hang up, redial, and try again."

"WOW." Derek said before slowly starting to laugh. The Marines/Salvation Army bit got him. "He's in the Marines, why is he shopping at Salvation Army."

Amber just shook her head. This woman, her friend she has known since middle school, was absolutely unreal. They way in which she tells a story is insane. She was very articulate, yet used so much slang and cultural references. And then, the way she describes the villains, it was like she warped them into parodies of themselves through some kind of wild inner fantasy from deep in her imagination. "Amelia, you are a trip."

Vlady, without turning around, chuckled out loud upon hearing the stunning conclusion of Amelia's story.

"What the hell?" He said, barely audible, marvelling at this young woman's ability to tell a mundane tale with such extreme vocabulary.

Sven had managed to wander and find where he was going. The Art room. It smelled like paint, similar to back home. He plopped down in a chair and put his head on the desk.