Crestmere High

Naza Sutera

Kaiba's demeanor changed. "I am sorry, am I being rude? I am unfamiliar with social interaction. If my presence unnerves you, please input the suggested protocol." He said it with a smile, which to anyone would be a red flag. It really wasn't Kaiba's fault, he just didn't know what normal was. He just stood there smiling or attempting to smile atleast.

Sven looked at the tigress, shocked for a moment but managed to shake his head. Some of the juices of his lunch spilled between his finger.

"You can sit here if you want." He finally managed to spit out in rough Cornerian.

He looked at the other person. He had trouble understanding him, he spoke a little too fast but he did wave as a small hello.

Zera smiled at Sven, and took the seat.  She then turned to the kit fox after he apologized and talked, and gave him a puzzled expression. "You been under a rock or something?" She asked him, "Why would you be new at social interaction?"

Kaiba looked in shock somewhat. "Pardon, why would you come to that conclusion?" His question was sincere and without a hint of sarcasm. He continued to stand seeing there were no open seats available then proceeded to sit on Zera.

"I was found in a field on Katrina, but I was not under any rocks I assure you."

Korr and Sholt made left their classroom after two gruelingly boring classes. They didn't attend a formal school back on MacBeth, and instead were taught things at home, and through experience. Korr could fix any vehicle you could think of, but sitting down in a classroom and being forced to write poetry bored him to tears. Sholt could run for miles and miles if he wanted or needed to, but sitting down in a classroom and learning about social science put him to sleep. This being the case, they were glad to finally be allowed some free time.

"Hey man, where we going? What we doing? I don't know what to do or where to go in a Cornerian school." Sholt pondered.

Korr looked around, seeing many people, more people than he had ever seen in the same place on MacBeth, all making their way to one specfic building. "I overheard someone saying something about a cafeteria. We could go there to eat. I guess that's where they're all going." He said, as he gestured to the migrating horde.

"So we follow them? Fun." Sholt sarcastically commented. He didn't like crowds.

"Hey, it's not all bad." Korr detorted. "Maybe we'll meet up up with those guys from that free class thing. They seemed sound."

Sholt thought back to the class Korr was talking about. "Yeah, they weren't bad, I'll give you that."

"Oh and hey," Korr suddenley remembered something. "That Amelia lassie was real eager to feel up your arm, eh? I bet you wouldnae mind her!" He jested and nudged his brother in the side with his elbow.

"Aye man, there was that, too." Sholt chuckled. "That was a bit different, but oi, I'm not complaining. She does look nice. Dresses all classy-like." As they came up on the cafeteria, they noticed a long queue, at the end of which people were buying food. "I'm glad we brought our own food."

"Ugh, my water's going to be roasting by now." Korr commented, referring to the heat of the nearby star. "Ey, look who it is!" he remarked and pointed to Amelia, who was standing waiting in queue. "Let's go an' say hi." They walked over to Amelia. "Hey Amelia, how's it going?"

----------------------

Selina streched her arms as she left the gymnasium. "See you later Mrs. Carlyle!" She smiled as she waved to her coach. Selina was dressed in boot-cut yoga trousers, paired with a light blue belly-cut tank top, a white zip-hoodie that contrasted against her black fur, and a light pink headband. She got some looks every now and then as she walked, but she didn't ever notice it. She was yearning for some lunch, so she made her way to the cafeteria. She arrived a bit later than usual, so the lines were dying down a bit. A couple of boys swiftly moved past her, and started talking to a girl a few metres away. She liked seeing friends be friends.

"H-HEY!" Zera yelped as Kaiba sat on her. "GET OFF OF ME!!!" She attempted to use a toss from her martial arts knowledge that would sent the kit fox flying.  Assuming the the android wasn't too heavy for her.

At the same time Tiger got up, and angrily stormed towards the situation. "GET AWAY FROM MY SISTER!!!" He roared at the kit fox.

Kaiba got up immediately and for a moment was amiss at what had happened. He had seen it in a movie once with Carlton where someone was sitting on ones lap was a good thing. Apparently the result was the opposite and wasn't a good first impression.

"I'm terribly sorry, was that considered offensive?" He said with his head cocked to one side. "Perhaps my data was inaccurate."

Suddenly a tired and panting beagle canine wisked through the door, stopped for a breather and raised his head. "Kaiba, there you are! I've been looking all over town for you! What are you doing here!?"

"Carlton, my friend," he chimed, "I'm enrolled in the school and thought it wise to meet my fellow colleagues."

"Kaiba, you start tomorrow! Not today! And...did you do anything? Is anything broken?!"

"I sat on this young lady."

"Oh my God..." He says as he facepalms, "I am soooo sorry. Bad kaiba!!!"

"Oh...I misstepped?"

"Yes, big time."

His gleeful expressions changed to one of self-disappointment. He failed again at social interaction. "I see...I will rectify." He turns to Zera, sotic and apologetic. "I am profoundly foolish to have implemented an action that is unsavory upon your person. I am sorry."

Sven's eyes widened in confusion 'Why did he sit in her lap?' he asked himself as he found him self standing slightly.

He was even more confused when another one showed up, as well with the yelling. Unknowingly some of the filling of his food dripped onto the girls boot toe

"Just don't do it again..." Zera said, glaring at the android, not the least bit happy about what happened, the mood for her being killed by this incident.  She didn't notice the food filling dripping onto the toe of her boot. "Not unless you're dating whoever it is you want to sit in the lap of..."

Tiger stopped approaching when the situation was calmed down it seemed.  The tiger was huge by Cornerian standards at six foot two inches, but he managed to keep himself from getting too much angrier.  Just what the Hell was going on though?  Who was this kit fox that spoke like an android?

Carlton stepped foreward and spoke, "He's an android, I'm sure you have gathered that by now and he's awkward because for the lack of a better term is missing a few marbles. He's been like that but slowly learning."

"Well then..." Zera said, her expression softening a bit. "That explains a few things..." She then looked to Sven, from his expression, she was guessing he didn't understand what was going on. "Are you following what's going?" She asked the German Shepherd softly.

"Some android." Tiger said, "He looks like a fully organic being.  The best android I've seen still has visible seams, but this here is right out of Star Trek..."

"He's for sale if you want him," Carlton interjected. The android gave him a look of shock. "Carlton!"

"What! It's not like you have a soul."

Kaiba was downcast, he thought Carlton was his friend and not a cheap robot dealer. "I thought...I thought you were my friend Carlton..."

"That's kind of cold." Tiger said, "And my dad tells me that selling a life-like is illegal."

"And indeed it is." An older voice spoke out.  That voice belonged to one of the JROTC teachers, Copernicus Owl.  The students referred to him as either Mr. O, or Commander Owl. "According to article 345, section 953, paragraph 24 of the rules of AI and robots, and I quote, 'Any android designed, programmed, and built to replicate a fully sentient person in all regards is to be permanently owned by the person who built it.  IT shall not be sold, or said owner shall face the same penalty as those who sell their biological children.  In the event said android is found, and the builder is not known, but it displays the characteristics of sentience, be it programmed or self learned/developed, it shall be considered legally the same as an orphan, and whoever is the care taker shall be considered either a foster or adoptive parent with the same rights and responsibilities as one who fosters or adopts a biological person under the age for which a person is legally an adult.'" Commander Owl then looked to Carlton with a serious expression.

"If your statement of the android being for sale is a joke, it is very much not funny." Commander Owl said, "And if it is genuine, you have a lot of legal ramifications, including the almost certain potential of your certification as a scientist and technological researcher being revoked, and fines being instated.  And we haven't even talked about the ramifications of trying to sell said thing to minors.  Rudimentary ai is legal to sell to minors, but where in an AI can ask existential questions of its own accord, we are then going into possibility of sentience.  Surely, you must be well aware of these laws and regulations, yes?"

Amelia queued up in the moderately long A La Carte lunch line. She should have known better than to cut it so close. But it was okay, since it is usually not as bad as it looked. She stood on her tippy toes and craned her head to see exactly how long the line would be, and figured that she'd be standing for another five to ten minutes. She also scanned the lunch room to see where Amber and Derek were sitting, and to see if she could spot her brother anywhere; no luck. They were probably sitting outside.

"Hey Amelia, how's it going?" someone said.

Turning around, Amelia's face cracked into a beautiful smile at the two new guys, Korr and Sholt. "Oh hey, sweeties! How was class?"

Carlton put up his hands. "Hey whoa now, I wasn't that serious or even. I'm his friend and roommate and he doesn't have a place to go. So of course Kaiba, I am your friend and if you keep doing stuff like this your only friend. I'm gonna go now, kaiba knows his way home. See ya around."

"Oh I still have a friend, very good," kaiba say with a returned smile. He turns to Tiger. "Really, there are laws to protect me and my kind? There are others like me?!"

"Yes, though Commander Owl is the one to ask." Tiger said, looking to the owl that was his JROTC teacher.

"Indeed," Commander Owl said, "The laws were made to protect your kind so you don't wind up being taken advantage of and exploited.  These laws came about as AI became more advanced, and it became much more clear that sentience was not tied to just organic beings.  And while it's true there are others out there who have the same level of sentience as you, their appearance is different.  They have obvious seams for their joints and access panels, as well as lacking true fur and being colored quite unnaturally.  You're more distinct, as you lack the seams and are naturally colored."

Kaiba smiled gleefully if not naturally. "Why thank you. So, do I have friends here now?"

"Honestly, boring as all hell." Sholt chuckled and put his hand to his head. "To be honest, social sciences isn't really my idea of fun."

Korr slyly, almost unnoticeably looked at his brother with a wry smirk, and then looked back at Amelia with a genuine smile. "How about you? Did you at least have a good few classes?"

"In me at least." Commander Owl said, "The other students, that will remain to be seen." He then looked to the tiger siblings who were in his JROTC class.

"I'm not one to hold a grudge." Tiger said, and turned to the Kit Fox Android. "I'd say you have a friend in me, knowing what you did was because you don't know quite better yet."

"Yeah, I can't stay mad with you." Zera said, "You seem like a good natured individual who means well enough.  I'll either see you in the next class or tomorrow, whatever you want to do." She then returned to her seat, and noticed the bit of food on her boot.  She then realized where it had come from as she looked to Sven.  But she wasn't mad, rather, she knew it must have been an accident with the commotion that just went on.  She smiled reassuringly at Sven, "Don't worry," she said to the german shepherd, "Accidents happen."

"I am delighted," said kaiba. He then looked around and noticed it was a lunch room. "I do not see myself spending much in the way of activity, aside from conversation here. I do not require fuel in the same manner."

Wladyslaw, Korben, Elizabeth, Joe, Diana, Roy, Mike, Lorenzo, and Salamon all sat neatly in a row on one lunch table. There was a notable gap between Wladyslaw and Salamon, as Bohdan had yet to return from getting his food. They were talking amongst themselves, save for Wladyslaw, who was observing the strange new vulpine student.

"It's not organic," he said quietly to Korben, who sat to his right. Korben turned to Wladyslaw.

"What?" he asked, mildly annoyed that he was interrupted from talking to Elizabeth.

"Look, at the new kid." Wladyslaw gestured with his snout to Kaiba. "It's an android."

"What's an android?" Bohdan inquired, returning with food. He sat down, a tuna sandwich with jalapenos, lettuce, onions, sririracha sauce, and mayonnaise on his tray.

"That kid," Wladyslaw continued. "Sure, he has no seams, his fur is real, and he moves like a living being, but he's not organic. I've listened to him, and he says that he is an android. The guy that burst in even said so. Mr. Owl said it too." Much of the group listened in on Wladyslaw, and then turned their attention to Kaiba, except for Bohdan.

"Don't stare..." he warned quietly. Some of the group members heeded the warning, and went back to whatever they were doing. Wladyslaw, however, continued to gaze.

"This is so dope," he commented.

"There is an activity field outside, as well as a few other people doing things aside from lunch." Commander Owl said to Kaiba, "Since you have the schedule uploaded, and the school's layout, I'm certain you'll find something to do.  And conversing with the rest of the students won't hurt either.  Enjoy the rest of your day." Commander Owl then proceeded to leave, taking a quick look at Bohdan's group.  He then continued on to his usual position to watch the cafeteria.

Meanwhile, a few more students in Tiger's circle of friends began to file in, having trays of food in their hands.  Two of which were a girl skunk and a girl fishing cat.  The skunk girl wore a simple sundress and mid-calf boots, while the fishing cat girl wore a tank top with a red crop vest and blue jeans as well as a pair of sandals. "Oh, there's Tiger and Zera." The fishing cat said, "Let's go sit with them."

"Hey, good idea Casher." The skunk girl said, "Hey, who's that fox with those two hotties and the transfer student?"

"Dunno, but he is cute." Casher, the fishing cat, said, "Let's go see them, Justine."

"Alright." Justine said with a smile as the two girls made their approach.

--------------------------

At the same time, two cat boys entered the cafeteria, carrying on a conversation, and also carrying food trays.  They too were in the circle of friends of Tiger and company. "So, you gonna try to ask that Amelia chick out?" One of them, and ocelot, asked the other, a Snowleopard.

"I dunno." The Snowleopard said, "She seems interested in that fox and red wolf, and you know how they can be."

"Aw, C'mon, they're not that bad." The ocelot said, "I'll show you how friendly they are."

"Maybe later, Armand." the snowleopard said.

"Well, what about those transfer girls?" Armand, the ocelot, asked. "That snowleopard girl?"

"W-well, she's cute, b-but not my type." The Snowleopard said, "Th-there might be a language b-barrier t-t-too."

"What about that white dog girl then, Matt?" Armand asked.

"Sh-she seems a l-l-little intense..." Matt, the snowleopard, said.

"The brindle shepherd?" Armand was getting slightly irritated now.

"Wh-what if Tiger sees her first?" Matt said, "I d-d-d-don't want to get his wrath turned on me."

"He won't do that..." Armand said, "But, what about that cute african wild dog girl?"

"You n-n-n-n-n-nuts, man?!!" Matt asked, "Th-th-th-th-that b-b-buh-buh-buh-big dragon seems to have eyes on h-h-h-h-h-her!  He'd f-f-f-f-f-f-f-f-fry me if he th-th-th-th-thought I w-w-w-w-was interested in that g-g-g-g-g-g-girl."

"Man, you're hopeless..." Armand said, "Maybe you should stop looking for a girlfriend and just for a girl who can be a friend with benefits?  It works for me."

"I'm l-l-l-l-l-l-looking for something d-d-d-d-d-deeper, m-m-m-m-m-m-man." Matt retorted, taking a deep breath to calm himself down so he would stop stuttering. "Look, there's Tiger, let's just go sit with him." Matt said, seeming to finally be calm.  The two then went to the table, joining the girls and Tiger and doing a little greeting with each other before sitting down to begin eating.

Edited by Tiger Carson
Character species correction.

"Thank you, you are most kind," he said the Commander Owl as he departed. He found an empty seat took it to the table and sat down. Kaiba then rolled up his shelve, touched the inside of his wrist with his left onto his right and doing so touched the inside of his right ear. "Pardon me, but I am recalibrating my stabilizes."

• 2 weeks later...

"Well, not really," Amelia said honestly, "I decided to take it easy this year. I spent middle school and my first year busting my ass at my academics, so I picked easy classes." She scanned the lunchroom to see if she could spot Amber and Derek. "Where the hell are those losers?"

• 2 weeks later...

"Who? Derek and Amber?" Korr rhetorically asked. He raised himself as high as he could to look around over peoples' heads. After a couple of seconds, he spotted them. "There they are! Amber, Derek, and some other guy." He pointed them out to his brother and their new friend. Then, without having consulted his brother at all, he spontaneously said, "I'll go say hi to them, but Sholt will say here with you for now." He had a smirk on his face when he said it.

"Uh..." Sholt didn't know how to respond.

"See you in a bit, bro!" Korr smiled and nudged his brother as he speedily walked past him. The table that Amber and Derek were sitting at was a circular one with eight chairs around it. Derek was at one chair, with Amber two seats away, and the unknown kid in the middle. "Hey man," Korr said to Derek. "This seat taken?" he asked as he put his hand on the chair next to him.