JOURNALIST HACKJOB: What if any of the traditional Star Fox games had a Survival mode?

The VGM Lover

Yesterday, I revisited Star Fox 64 3D after a long hiatus. I found myself going back and back again for seemingly no reason! Then, I revisited Training mode. Why? Again, I don't know, except for maybe one thing. In the All Range section, I had no problem whatsoever with wanting to reach 999 points, and I spent well over an hour's worth doing it!

After I reached it, though, I didn't wanna stop. I became completely engrossed in just downing fighter after fighter as quickly and efficiently as I possibly could. With an utterly blank look on my mug, I asked myself "Why am I STILL doing this?" I mean, at the time, I had troubles understanding just what it was about that section that kept me from quitting, and I still haven't quite figured it out, yet!

One thing I figured though, was that if what is supposed to be just a tutorial section can do this to me for such a long time, then perhaps there's an opportunity here that could have been exploited to tremendous effect! 

Technically, it was, I know that. Remember Time Trial mode from Star Fox 64? That little multiplayer mode where enemies pop up, and you get the most kills within a set time limit to win? There was so much they could've done with it! In fact, an entire selection on the main menu could be dedicated to it!

Let it be called SURVIVE. 1st Option: Endless. See how long you can survive against a never-ending onslaught of enemy fighters with no breaks and rare item spawning! Choose your stage and get to shootin'!

2nd Option: Timed. How many fighters can you down within the set time limit? Items will be laid around the stage for you to determine if collecting them is worth your precious seconds.

Final Option: Endless On-Rails: Remember that one ending back in the original Star Fox? Now imagine if that was a mode! The stage will be randomly chosen this time. Just try to survive as long as you can!

Just these alone might have increased the fun, longevity, and replayability on any traditional Star Fox game by the millions because of how long you get to spend flying and shootin'! To be honest, I rather surprised myself that I didn't come up with this since becoming a dedicated fan since about 2013, or so. An idea that so easliy could have been done in 1997 or 2005 (Assault), that it boggled my mind how Nintendo or its developers couldn't come up with this right from the get-go. Not even for Star Fox Zero!?

But of course, that's just what I think. I'd love to hear what you guys think of this idea. Is this something that really could and/or should have been done so long ago? And of course, I am constantly looking for critique on my work. Is it neat? Does it convey nicely enough? Please tell me so! Thank you so much!

I always thought of that. Make an invincible Dodora or Prof. Hangar or whatnot, and the only choice is escaping. There could be shapeshifting bosses (not like the Attack Carrier, think even deeper!) and bosses from the past with the fusion of others (think "Amalgamites" from Undertale). But it's awesome to see someone who though the same thing as me!

Actually, I think that needs to be a story level. That would be so awesome if done right!

I just want to know why this is called "Journalist Hackjob."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Orange said:

I just want to know why this is called "Journalist Hackjob."

For one, I'm no real journalist. For two, it's a bold attempt at creating an opinion piece shaped in the same sorta way an actual journalist might... to a certain extent. Actually, the only reason I consider this one a Journalist Hackjob is... so many words... Third, in case Radio doesn't work for me, I decided to get just a bit more involved in article writing practice, in hopes that maybe I could see a future in it.

ADDITIONAL COMMENT: Also, I think this site desperately needs a dedicated journalist for the Articles section. @DZComposer, I honestly wanna be that guy if I could.