Star Fox 2: HD

Revolver Ocelot

arVe64b.png

Teaser trailer is here!

What is it?

Star Fox 2: HD is an ongoing work to remaster and add new features to the SNES Star Fox, the unreleased Star Fox 2 and potentially Star Fox 64.

Currently, this project is being worked on by only one person. However, development positions may open in the future to help work on the game. As only simple scripting knowledge is known, this means there will definitely be spots open for CSharp and JS developers in the future.

The game was originally developed under the working title of 'Electric Boogaloo' (yes, i understand where that comes from) however the name was changed for obvious reasons after the development became a serious project. The game is also going to have its own soundtrack, composed of the SNES Star Fox 1 and 2 soundtrack re-mastered.

Unlike the SNES Star Fox 1, which had a linear 'corridor' mode for most of its levels, Star Fox 2: HD will be more open, allowing you to fly around and explore, maybe find an easter egg or two.

Discord Server link

https://discord.gg/wtUKUBn

Come join!

Screenshots

sf2hdpic.png.91c5a743487238a8b673ef5bc823de38.png

49a9aa5f7bbfe959e9d75fd88d7e935b.jpg

bc18d4fa1aaa6cd52d237f626c89a652.png

eb14b872b20a46ab5e710203fd0fe014.png

dcb5b7357c56299f0b8b04df2b338aa1.png

2b140df1aff4f891fbf8bad343709b55.png

F.A.Q

Nothing has been asked yet, however I've brewed up a couple you might wonder.

"What game engine does this use?"
-The game uses Unity 5.

"What if you get a cease and desist or anything like that?"
-meh.

"How is the soundtrack going to be done?"
-The Star Fox .spc songs are going to exported from the .sfc as MIDI, then played through a custom soundfont after instrument and channel tweaks are done.

"How can I contribute to the development of the game?"
-You can find me on discord (Revolver Ocelot#6732) and then you can explain how you want to help the game.

News

11/06/2017 - 11:31 PM AEST

-The game is announced to the community-

12/06/2017 - 2:00PM AEST
-The teaser trailer is released-

15/06/2017 - 8:16AM AEST-
-New Corneria skybox added

That's all for now!

• Like 2

I just moved this thread to the right section.
Nice progress, and one tip: If you want to make the FAQ section look nicer, you can use Shift + Enter, so that sentences will stick together closer.

Edit:
Okay, what is that?
eeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhh.png

Wow! This is amazing. From what I currently see, this will be a promising fan-made "remaster" of the original Starfox trilogy. Kudos to you! Can't wait to see it develop, since often times, fans do what Nintendon't. I don't know how to program, but count me in for any digital design help, such as artwork.

• Like 1

That looks awesome so far!! I can't wait to see more! :D 

Looks neat! Please post game play footage when you get the chance/feel comfortable doing so!

Interesting. I myself have had a similar idea, but with a completely flat shaded aesthetic similar to the renders Issac McCloud posted not too long ago (albeit running at a noticably higher resolution and framerate compared to the SNES games) and also utilizing the limited SPC-based 6-8 channel sound design of those games.  I haven't seen too many people truly try to recreate the game engine of the EAD Star Fox trilogy, though I'd imagine that's not a particularly easy task to pull off.

Yeah, thanks. I've already asked for permission to use his music but he won't respond.

If he responds, do not expect him to give you permission to use his music. I asked if I could help make his project files into SPCs and he declined. He's pretty protective of his work and I'd recommend others to respect that.

Yeah, I've encountered him many times before. He isn't the nicest person in the world, either.

EDIT: Wait a minute, Patch93? Damn son.

I love your Roland SC-55 soundfont.

Yeah, it's me. I haven't really updated that soundfont in a long time because I haven't been able to get the electric guitar presets to sound right. The original SC-55 module had a pretty complex synth engine that cannot be replicated through soundfonts, and you can tell this because Doom's soundtrack took advantage of low pass filter frequencies through note velocities. At this point I think it would be best if someone added SC-55, SC-88 and SC-88 Pro emulation for MUNT, but we all know pissy Roland would get about people trying to do that. But of course that is completely off topic, so I do apologize for derailing the thread.

Yeah true lol

Update @Patch93 He's accepted! We're going to be talking about this hopefully.

Teaser trailer is up! 

I will probably upload the first bit of the remastered soundtrack tomorrow - stay tuned!

Well, good luck on that project!

I would have personnaly wait a bit longer before uploading a "teaser", because yours doesn't truly show a lot ^^
I have a few questions though:
 -Have you already worked on games (fan, amateur, indie, whatever) in the past? :)
 -So far, what is programmed? I mean, what can the Arwing do? Fly, shoot, bombs?
 -That's some quite good looking water you have here, could we see it in a video in the near future ? :p

Anyway! It can be a quite fun game to play, so good luck! I have yet to play Starfox 2 (as well as properly play Starfox 1), but from what I saw, the prototype was pretty cool.

Hey, you have actual pre-alpha gameplay, thats more than what most fan games show.

I'd be really cool if you could keep with the SNES flat shaded aesthetic but update it to look extra smoov and shiny. Maybe expand on the aesthetic a little, idk. There's a lot that can be done depending on how far you want to go from remake to reimagining.

Either way, I am proud of my obsessive and embarassing knowledge of obscure and casual Star Fox lore, so if you want/need a writer type person or just a consultant, do let me know!

I'd be really cool if you could keep with the SNES flat shaded aesthetic but update it to look extra smoov and shiny. Maybe expand on the aesthetic a little, idk.

In that regard, I think it would be best if there was an option for different screen resolutions. For example, you could go down closer to the SNES's native resolution of 256x224 making the graphics closer to how they were on the SNES, while higher resolutions would give you something more closer to something like Sky Rogue or the Retro Arwing in SFZ.

Well, good luck on that project!

I would have personnaly wait a bit longer before uploading a "teaser", because yours doesn't truly show a lot ^^
I have a few questions though:
 -Have you already worked on games (fan, amateur, indie, whatever) in the past? :)
 -So far, what is programmed? I mean, what can the Arwing do? Fly, shoot, bombs?
 -That's some quite good looking water you have here, could we see it in a video in the near future ? :p

Anyway! It can be a quite fun game to play, so good luck! I have yet to play Starfox 2 (as well as properly play Starfox 1), but from what I saw, the prototype was pretty cool.

1: I've worked on a couple before, but none on as large a scale as this.

2: So far, simple AI has been programmed. (you can see this with the Great Commander placeholder flying over the Arwing in the teaser) There is BGM that plays in the current (only) level so far. Arwings can only fly right now, barrel rolling is slow, but possible. Same with U-turns and somersaults. No weapons or bombs have been programmed, in fact, I need somebody who has the ability to do so for this.

3: I will definitely upload the water in a video in the future.

You should definitely play Star Fox 2 some time. It's a great game.

Also, I realised the discord server link expired. Here's a new one!

1: I've worked on a couple before, but none on as large a scale as this.

2: So far, simple AI has been programmed. (you can see this with the Great Commander placeholder flying over the Arwing in the teaser) There is BGM that plays in the current (only) level so far. Arwings can only fly right now, barrel rolling is slow, but possible. Same with U-turns and somersaults. No weapons or bombs have been programmed, in fact, I need somebody who has the ability to do so for this.

3: I will definitely upload the water in a video in the future.

You should definitely play Star Fox 2 some time. It's a great game.

Also, I realised the discord server link expired. Here's a new one!

1 : OK! :) Any examples? ^^

2 : OK. Programming weapons shouldn't be too complicated, you can probably find a lot of tutorials about Unity on the internet ;)

Good luck for the development!

1. None that I can show. The few that I have are private fan works and the others that arent I lost in a HD crash last year.

New HD Corneria skybox!

49a9aa5f7bbfe959e9d75fd88d7e935b.jpg