The Movie Thread

Asper Sarnoff

You thought I'd run out of corny thread titles by now, then you'd been wrong!

The purpose with this thread is to discuss various movies you like, or dislike. Give other people tips on which films they "have" to see, or wich ones they should avoid.

I'll kick off.

First off, I want to recommend a movie calles "Death Proof", directed by Quentin Tarantino as a parody of earlier splatter b-movies, it isn't as bad as it sounds though, think of it as a parody when you watch it and everything starts to make sence.

It kicks of pretty slowly, there is a lot of dialogue, and some may find it boring. But as the movie progresses things start to heat up before it culliminates in one of the best car chases in movie history.

Warning: This movie have strong graphic bloody violence and gore, pervasive language, some sexuality, nudity and drug use. Be warned.

Now, over to one of the worst movies I have ever watched, I strongly avoid everyone to avoid it at all cost. I'm talking about the monster movied called "Mega shark vs Giant octopus".

Some monster film fans may go: OHH this sounds great! Bottom line is, it isn't.

It fails epic in every single way, I knew when I sat down to watch it that it wouldn't be good, I were hoping for a self-ironic parody of the genre, something which well excecuted could have made it a good cult-film. But it tries to be seriously, and thus it spoils the whole point.

The acting is dreadfull, some of the cgi scenes of the two title characters are reused about half a dozen of times in a matter of minutes, everything is bad, steer clear of this one.

One movie I believe people should see is "Saving Private Ryan." Now if blood and gore make you queasy, then you might want to avoid this movie, but the gore is not there for the sake of having it, this was one of the first WWII movies to really show what WWII was, raw, unforgiving, and horrifying. Plus the story is a real tearjerker, definitely one of my favorites, and if you give it a chance, I'm sure it will be a favorite of yours too.

One movie that you MUST AVOID is "Cutting Class." Its one of those stereotypical 1980s slasher films, and it is BAD. Its meant to be scary, but the acting is horrible, the lines make it even worse, plus its set in a high school, so it adds stupid 1980s teenage melodrama. I seriously believe that my IQ dropped about 10 points just from watching this. Hard to believe this was one of Brad Pitt's first movies. DON'T WATCH!

One movie I believe people should see is "Saving Private Ryan." Now if blood and gore make you queasy, then you might want to avoid this movie, but the gore is not there for the sake of having it, this was one of the first WWII movies to really show what WWII was, raw, unforgiving, and horrifying. Plus the story is a real tearjerker, definitely one of my favorites, and if you give it a chance, I'm sure it will be a favorite of yours too.

One movie that you MUST AVOID is "Cutting Class." Its one of those stereotypical 1980s slasher films, and it is BAD. Its meant to be scary, but the acting is horrible, the lines make it even worse, plus its set in a high school, so it adds stupid 1980s teenage melodrama. I seriously believe that my IQ dropped about 10 points just from watching this. Hard to believe this was one of Brad Pitt's first movies. DON'T WATCH!

saw part of private ryan, good movie din't see and will avoid the other...

I was thinking about renting that one, it sounded good to me.

I was thinking about renting that one, it sounded good to me.

Go for it! You won't regret it.

Ok, four days since last post, so I think a double post would be okay.

I just watched Kung Fu Panda yesterday, and got completely hooked. Brilliant movie, with very little bad things to put my finger on. The animations are stunning, the story is an instant classic, fantastic voice actors and a nice soundtrack, as you can expect from Hans Zimmer. Most here have probably already seen it, but for those who yet hasn't... What are you waiting for?

What? You didn't seriously belive I had grown away from child films? :lol: One never does that!

Guest Julius Quasar

You thought I'd run out of corny thread titles by now, then you'd been wrong!

The purpose with this thread is to discuss various movies you like, or dislike. Give other people tips on which films they "have" to see, or wich ones they should avoid.

I'll kick off.

First off, I want to recommend a movie calles "Death Proof", directed by Quentin Tarantino as a parody of earlier splatter b-movies, it isn't as bad as it sounds though, think of it as a parody when you watch it and everything starts to make sence.

It kicks of pretty slowly, there is a lot of dialogue, and some may find it boring. But as the movie progresses things start to heat up before it culliminates in one of the best car chases in movie history.

Warning: This movie have strong graphic bloody violence and gore, pervasive language, some sexuality, nudity and drug use. Be warned.

Speaking of Quentin Tarentino, I love his newest movie, "Inglorious Bastards", for similar reasons.

I gotta warn everyone, though, this movie have strong graphic bloody violence and gore, pervasive language, some sexuality, nudity and drug use.

I tried to post this earlier, but my stupid piece of crap computer froze up...again!  :compcrash:

Busy, I'll get back to RPing soon, but now I've seen District 9, It's safe to read about films on the internet again.

Seriously though. WOW! I love D9. <3 I just want to talk about at everyone.

I went to see it, I had huge expectations, the film managed to exceed them all. My 2 worries of dodgy CG and no plot were put to rest. As has already been said, the trailers give no idea of a deeper plot. I like the way the film keeps the interview style of the original as well, with the action filmed fly-on-the-wall style. The CG is dodgy, but it does the 300 thing of making it a style and the character animation is fantastic, so I'm not complaining.

Can't wait to see what he does next.

Speaking of Quentin Tarentino, I love his newest movie, "Inglorious Bastards", for similar reasons.

I gotta warn everyone, though, this movie have strong graphic bloody violence and gore, pervasive language, some sexuality, nudity and drug use.

I tried to post this earlier, but my stupid piece of crap computer froze up...again!  :compcrash:

I think all his movies have that description. :lol:

Busy, I'll get back to RPing soon, but now I've seen District 9, It's safe to read about films on the internet again.

Seriously though. WOW! I love D9. <3 I just want to talk about at everyone.

I went to see it, I had huge expectations, the film managed to exceed them all. My 2 worries of dodgy CG and no plot were put to rest. As has already been said, the trailers give no idea of a deeper plot. I like the way the film keeps the interview style of the original as well, with the action filmed fly-on-the-wall style. The CG is dodgy, but it does the 300 thing of making it a style and the character animation is fantastic, so I'm not complaining.

Can't wait to see what he does next.

It haven't come to norwegian cinemas yet, but I'll probably see it when it does. Peter Jackson is an excellent director, no denying that.

Guest krystal jr

I think all his movies have that description. :lol:

It haven't come to norwegian cinemas yet, but I'll probably see it when it does. Peter Jackson is an excellent director, no denying that.

ture :krystal:

It's not Peter Jackson, it's Neill Blomkamp :S

He did alive in Joberg (a great short film, what district 9 was based on.) Temp Bot ( a weird film about a robot whop works as an office temp.) He also did the citron dancing robot I think.

Then there this, which is the mostly likly of his shorts to get the full legth treatment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snfc_wNWqSU

It's not Peter Jackson, it's Neill Blomkamp :S

He did alive in Joberg (a great short film, what district 9 was based on.) Temp Bot ( a weird film about a robot whop works as an office temp.) He also did the citron dancing robot I think.

Whoops, mixed up the facts. He were the producer, not the director.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw the first Jaws movie again yesterday, it is simple a stunningly good movie. I bet most have seen it already, but if you haven't you should feel ashamed of it.

The film changes tone after the heroes go out after the beast. It goes from a sneaking horror movie that sends shivers up your spine every time you hear the simple, but genius theme composed by John Williams, to a more serious tone, where we got to see madness put into form, played brilliantly by Robert Shaw as Quint.

The actors where made for their roles. The only thing one can nitpick on is that when you see the title character itself, you do realise that special effects have moved forward since then, the most creepy parts are when you don't see the shark.

Watch the scene where those two extras try to fish Jaws, only to fall out into the water as the shark drags the pier they're standing on to sea, and as they swim back to land, you can see the pier turns around and starts following them...

This is Spielbergs masterpiece, a definatively must-watch.

Watched the ol' Hunchback of Notre Dame, the part when he was on the rotating thingamajig and wanted water made me crryyy! ;n;

It's a good one, one of the true classics. Then they went ahead and ruined it with a terrible sequel.

BTW, a clip to ilustrate my latest post.

Watched the ol' Hunchback of Notre Dame, the part when he was on the rotating thingamajig and wanted water made me crryyy! ;n;

I believe that torture device is known as the Cathrine Wheel.

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's a little older, but the count of monte cristo and the extended edition lord of the rings are AMAZING movies.

Don't watch revenge of the chupacabras (or maybe it's attack of the chupacabras.... I dunno) I picked it up when I felt like watching a dumb movie..... It is freakin' home video quality.  Not Joking!  (actually, it was so bad, it was funny  :lol:)

Just watched "Reign of Fire" now on the TV. An action/science fiction movie that was came out in 2002 and were faced py generaly negative reviews by the critics. Which once again proves many critics have no clue.

It may not be a masterpiece, but I loved every second of it. A movie I can recommend for those who like grim movies set in an dark, acopalyptic future. Think about the future scenes from "Terminator" and replace the machines with highly intelligent, fire-breathing dragons. It is not as stupid as it may first seem, give it a look.

Also, the lead role is played by Christian Bale, which I'm sure most people will recognise as the latest Batman.

Funny... I just finished watching the hunchback of Notre Dame three times in the past week.

In my opinion, one of the best animated disney films of all time. The story is complex and emotional, with real world problems such as vice and temptation. The animation is stunning, the songs are some of the best ever, Frollo singing hellfire was particularry haunting.

I think I'm gonna go watch it again.

also the Fantastic mr. Fox looks retarded. If you go to watch it you are a shameless furry.