The Movie Thread

Asper Sarnoff

I have to wait until it comes to DVD to see Fantastic Mr. Fox

and for people who think it was Americanized: it was made where Roald Dahl lives.

and for people who think it was Americanized: it was made where Roald Dahl lives.

With american actors, and american audiences in mind. Games have been americanized for years now. It still annoys me. Other then the likes of GTA and Resident Evil, they do it because americans are to stupid and dumb to relate to anything not american. That's one of the reasons all the aliens in mass effect have american accents, despite being from space.

EDIT: great example. People here (americans) dont like district 9 because of the african lead.

Guest Julius Quasar

Seen it, great movie! :yes:

Recently read the book, good book! :yes:

I saw Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief, read the book first.  both are good, in their own way.  The movie had awesome special effects.

With american actors, and american audiences in mind. Games have been americanized for years now. It still annoys me. Other then the likes of GTA and Resident Evil, they do it because americans are to stupid and dumb to relate to anything not american. That's one of the reasons all the aliens in mass effect have american accents, despite being from space.

EDIT: great example. People here (americans) dont like district 9 because of the african lead.

To be honest, I saw the preview, the voices are British sounding, and most of it was the strange kind of Britain humour.  To be honest, Monty Python was made over there, but while being aimed at their audience, pleased ours.

I'm waiting for Peter Jackson to make the Temeraire book series into movies, that is my favorite book series by far, the characters were so realistic you forget you're reading fiction, and the emotional scenes were great in that book, one scene that was supposed to make you angry and then sad, I stopped reading at the angry part because I was so enraged that I was sweating bullets, I mean it was streaming off me, to the point that if I could enter the book, I would of killed the character that caused it with my bare hands, and then I had stop a few minutes after I cooled down due to the depressing part. Best part is too, Peter Jackson says he wants to see the books as a game, and he'd be willing to personally lead them to see it done right, hopefully not like the Eragon game (was like being bricked in the head while watching retarded versions of the characters run around). Another thing I like about the series, though, it starts off each book with great action, and ends it with such suspense that the only reason its bearable, is because there is nothing you can do to alleviate it, except be patient. And I was such an IDIOT when I got the rest of the books that were released, I started reading the 3rd book thinking it was the 2nd, and it got to the point that it revealed the ending of the 2nd, one that I would of NEVER seen coming.

about the fantastic mr. fox, i will read the portuguese version of the book. 2012 is a bunch of *beep-beep*, 1-the movie is full of small mistakes, 2-that  2012 cataclysm is holywood bullshit (can i say bullshit?), because the mayan calendary dosen't says nothing about the end of the world. if its true, panther will marry krystal in the next canon starfox game(command dosen't count because it's not canon).

avatar dosen't seem to be so good.

about the fantastic mr. fox, i will read the portuguese version of the book. 2012 is a bunch of *beep-beep*, 1-the movie is full of small mistakes, 2-that  2012 cataclysm is holywood bullshit (can i say bullshit?), because the mayan calendary dosen't says nothing about the end of the world. if its true, panther will marry krystal in the next canon starfox game(command dosen't count because it's not canon).

avatar dosen't seem to be so good.

Penn and Teller did a great episode on that. Also you might like this

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/1088-2012

how is  the "J.C.'s avatar" in a few steps (contain a lot of sarcasm):

1-paraplegical guy becomes one of that blue guys..

2-war between humans and blue guys

3-parapleg. guy becoe agnist humans

4-he saves the girl he fallen in love

5-he stays in blue-dude form

6-end and credits.

Okay so I just recently watched the remake of "The Wolfman" and I thought it was just plain awesome. There so much gore in the beginning part that it was almost unbearable. They cut down the gore a bit towards the middle but amped up the story and some of the action on it. I really loved how the ending played out. I recommend it to anyone who likes movies featuring the famous horror symbols like "The Wolfman" and "Dracula" and other movies like that.

Okay so I just recently watched the remake of "The Wolfman" and I thought it was just plain awesome. There so much gore in the beginning part that it was almost unbearable. They cut down the gore a bit towards the middle but amped up the story and some of the action on it. I really loved how the ending played out. I recommend it to anyone who likes movies featuring the famous horror symbols like "The Wolfman" and "Dracula" and other movies like that.

I think I've seen the ads for it, I say fuck that shit ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Julius Quasar

I saw Alice in Wonderland yesterday.

Great movie! :yes:

I dunno what the critics were bitching about, they need to go change their diapers. :P

Also, I'm outraged that neither Coraline, nor the fantastic Mr. Fox won for "Best Animated Picture" at the Oscars last weekend. 

Stop motion animation has a lot of heart, and character to it.  Anyone can do CGI, it's just computer animation...Disney/Pixar's "UP" wasn't that great a movie, just "lots of pretty colors" xP

This was the first time the Oscars did "Best Animated Picture" category, and naturally, Diney/Pixar wanted the bragging rights of winning this, so they bribed the Academy!  Bastards.

Coraline should've won!

On the plus side, "Up in the Air" didn't win squat! *in Nelson Muntz's voice* "Haw haw!"

i watched avatar in 3d, the story was very simple, but the scenario is very creative and the 3d really works!

alright, most of the films posted here are great! i simply fell in love with district 9 when it hit the theaters! and of course im going to see the fatastic mr fox.. yes i am shameless XD

as for alice, it wasnt BAD, but i feel it rides too much on the original animated film.. of course ive had the critics blood injected into my brain, and ive devealoped some anti hypnotizing 2nd eyelid.. you know, kind of like crocodiles have? so naturally the 3D experience was entertaining, but it wasnt mindblowing.. all in all, id give it an 8/10 for lack of originality, but at the same time it has all the originality in the world.. the fact that it took a whimsical nonsensical story and made it realistic was one plus for me! not really sure if you should take children to see this, its more for the adults who had seen the first.. not to mention it gets gruesome sometimes.

and as for movies you should stay away from, i have quite a list.. one of my friends is into MST3K and loves to watch horrible movies for the sake of hilarity when you can point out whats bad about it...

basically anything made by "the asylum", plan 9 from outer space, Manos: the hands of fate, and pretty much anything reviewed by the nostalgia critic (WITH THE EXCEPTION OF Pokemon the first movie, i can understand his point of view would be from the parents that had no idea about pokemon and had to take thier son/daughter to see it..)

i holeheartedly agree that Mega Shark Vs Giant Octopus is horrible, but if you watch it again looking for humor, its actually pretty damn funny! HOW IN THE HELL DOES A SHARK JUMP FROM OUT OF THE WATER AND DESTROY A PLANE??? its so mind boggling its hilarious!

take a gander at this highlight reel!

the rest of the movie is gawd AWFUL!! and as you can imagine, it was made by "the asylum.."

I saw Alice in Wonderland yesterday.

Great movie! :yes:

I dunno what the critics were bitching about, they need to go change their diapers. :P

Also, I'm outraged that neither Coraline, nor the fantastic Mr. Fox won for "Best Animated Picture" at the Oscars last weekend. 

Stop motion animation has a lot of heart, and character to it.  Anyone can do CGI, it's just computer animation...Disney/Pixar's "UP" wasn't that great a movie, just "lots of pretty colors" xP

This was the first time the Oscars did "Best Animated Picture" category, and naturally, Diney/Pixar wanted the bragging rights of winning this, so they bribed the Academy!  Bastards.

Coraline should've won!

On the plus side, "Up in the Air" didn't win squat! *in Nelson Muntz's voice* "Haw haw!"

It's all polatics. Oscars used to be for good films, now it's just to get people talking.

True dat!

I'm DYING to see Alice In Wonderland. Not only am I a Burton fan and Johnny Depp fan and like the Disney animated film, but I absolutely love the Alice books. They were my favorite stories growing up, for reals. Plus, I'm very intrigued by the "Return to Wonderland" concept, anyone ever see the movie Return to Oz? That is a great film, but was so underrated at the time...

A good, when I read Julius' quote, I was sure hoping it would be about Fantastic Mr. Fox. :) Amazing movie loved it so much. I don't have much to contribute to this topic though, cause I don't actually enjoy sitting for a multitude of hours watching a movie, but Fantastic Mr. Fox, was simply Fantastic.

and as for movies you should stay away from, i have quite a list.. one of my friends is into MST3K and loves to watch horrible movies for the sake of hilarity when you can point out whats bad about it...

basically anything made by "the asylum", plan 9 from outer space, Manos: the hands of fate, and pretty much anything reviewed by the nostalgia critic (WITH THE EXCEPTION OF Pokemon the first movie, i can understand his point of view would be from the parents that had no idea about pokemon and had to take thier son/daughter to see it..)

i holeheartedly agree that Mega Shark Vs Giant Octopus is horrible, but if you watch it again looking for humor, its actually pretty damn funny! HOW IN THE HELL DOES A SHARK JUMP FROM OUT OF THE WATER AND DESTROY A PLANE??? its so mind boggling its hilarious!

take a gander at this highlight reel!

the rest of the movie is gawd AWFUL!! and as you can imagine, it was made by "the asylum.."

I seriously dislike all the Pokemon movies. Not only because I think they are dreadfull, but also because they remind me of how stupid I was to actually like this kind of stuff when I was younger.

And even Mega Shark Vs Giant Octopus could have given me a few laughs because it was so terrible it was good, it became to long to appreciate the crappiness of it. If the highlights which you posted was the whole movie, I would have laughed my ass of and loved it. Especially when the shark took the jumbojet out.

But at that point, I had allready gotten bored and were thinking on how much better my time would be spent doing something else.

The Pokémon movie was the most awesome thing I had ever seen when I went to see it at my friend's 7th birthday party. To this day, Mewtwo is my favorite Pokémon because of that move. I know that it is by no means a good movie, but you have to make an exception for it. It was aimed towards 7-year-olds, and I don't think any movie for 7-year-olds has ever been considered "good", simply because the grown-ups who determine how good a movie is just don't get why it's so awesome for kids. When I think of the Pokémon movie, I don't think of the bad animation, dumb plot and total lack of purpose, I think about how awesome it was to watch when I was 7 years old and couldn't get enough Pokémon.

yeah shitting bricks about pokemon being on the big screen was awesome!

but seriously, its only gone downhill from here, that piece of shit arceus movie really pissed me off..

Hey, I never said any of the other ones were any good... I only saw the first one :S

When I was young, I really liked the second one. I do think it was the second one, with the three legendary birds and Luigia. Now, I only get ashamed when I think of anything related to Pokemon, but the second movie less than the other things however.

the third one was pretty good too! srsly if you have any ounce of fandom in you, youll watch the second and third..

4 was horrible..

5 was decent, original, but the use of 3D in parts of it was bad, kind of shows lack of effort in my opinion..

6 was alright too, Evil Groudon WAS BADASS!!

7 was kind of lame, watching all these movies one after the other, this movie was kind of bland.. not to mention i think ash's voice was the farthest from the original its ever been..

8 had lucario in it, im a big fan of lucario.. naturally i kind of liked it, but at the same time.. it had holes that kind of bugged me.

9 was lame..

10 was kind of confusing, diamond and pearl pokemon kind of take over this one, so naturally i found it shitty :(

11 made me want to kick the shit out of that shaymin pokemon, talk about the worst character for that thing EVER! CHARIZARD USE OVERHEAT ON THAT P.O.S.! wait, its not even worth such an epic move, USE EMBER INSTEAD..

12 was the worst time travelling plotline ive EVER SEEN in a movie.. it made me cry to see how far pokemon has sunk...

13 hasnt come out yet to america.. said to star new pokemon, 5 gen is starting to brew... how they managed that is rediculous.. I PRAY that it will be AT BEST a decent set..

as far as the games go, SOUL SILVER IS THE BEST POKEMON GAME EVER!! i think it trumps the older ones for me! and thats saying a lot! just the revision of the classic silver version was amazing.. seeing as you can go to kanto in silver, i wouldnt see the point in a remake of Red and Blue for DS.. BUT MY FANDOM WOULD BE COMPLETE if they did XD

:facepalm: Did they really make that many movies? They're really going to squeeze every last cent out of it huh?

I watched the two first movies, followed the television series from time to time, and dropped out just after the original Gold and Silver came out.