The Movie Thread

Asper Sarnoff

I was going to see fantastic mr fox, but they americanised it.

That doesn't sound to good. The humor in the book was just the right kind. I'm still going to give it the benefit of the doubt and give it a watch probably.

Guest Julius Quasar

I was going to see fantastic mr fox, but they americanised it.

*Honks the musical horn which plays the tune "Dixie"on a car resembling "The General Lee"...*

I really liked Fantastic Mr. Fox. I used to read the book over and over again, and the movie did a good job of capturing that same feel. The animation was suprisingly clean for stop motion, and the characters were very well done. The eyes looked real, too.

I think I'm slowly turning into a furry  :shock:

• 2 weeks later...

Not really a single movie, but I've recently started watching this cool animated tv show named: "Father of the pride" that was on the air around five years ago in the US and ran for only 14 episodes.

Based on a family of anthromorpic white lions that live in Las Vegas as a part of the Siegfrid and Roy show, it is filled with lots of good, but also slighly gross humor.

Worth a watch? I'd say so.

Here's a taste of one of the episodes:

I watched this movie^, man! leslie neilsen (i don't know how to write it) is the best actor ever!

if you liked this movie you shoul watch:

spy hard

the other "naked gun" movies

dracula: dead and loving it!

and you must watch: police squad!

• 3 weeks later...

Now that Avatar is out, and have gotten it's own thread here on SF-O. I figured it wouldn't be to bad an idea to take a look back at a couple of other movies James Cameron have directed over the years.

Let's move on to his first real movie. The Terminator.

Along with it's sequel, the Terminator comes crashing in on my favorite films of all time list for a very good reason.

Tough it was made with quite a low budget, "only" 6.5 millions, it manages to stand out from the masses of doom and gloom sci-fi movies in a really good way. The plot is as brilliant as it is simple and gets you completely hooked from beginning to end. Even I, which had Schwarzenegger as an idol in my younger years can't say he is a gifted actor. But truth be told, the role of the Terminator was made for him.

If you haven't seen it yet, then I can definatively recommend it. Tough some of those among you sensitive to blood may consider skipping some parts.

Okay, the next one. The sequel of the first Alien movie, Aliens, once again nailed home Cameron as a solid director. The plot has been copied and imitated so many times that it is almost redicolus. While not as much of a pure horror movie as the first one, it manages to stand on its own remarkably well and doesn't become a weak copy like way to many sequels often become. This one is also recommended, but again, not for the faint-hearted.

Now, moving over to perhaps my favorite movie of all time, Terminator 2: Judgement day.

Here, the roles are reversed, and a identical copy of the villain of the first movie is now the protector of the hero. But don't worry about Arnie godmoding his way out of this pinch. The new villain is badder than ever, and the ability to immitate other objects or persons adds to his creepyness. Who is really the bad guy?

Another one of his movies that might be worth a watch is True Lies from 1994. Once again, Arnie is one of the lead roles, together with Jamie Lee Curtis. A comedy/action that seems to have been forgotten. It manages both to be thrilling and funny.

Tough he also directed Titanic, I'll skip saying anything about that one. One reason because "everybody" have allready seen it, but also because I don't really like it that much.

Now that Avatar is out, and have gotten it's own thread here on SF-O. I figured it wouldn't be to bad an idea to take a look back at a couple of other movies James Cameron have directed over the years.

Let's move on to his first real movie. The Terminator.

Along with it's sequel, the Terminator comes crashing in on my favorite films of all time list for a very good reason.

Tough it was made with quite a low budget, "only" 6.5 millions, it manages to stand out from the masses of doom and gloom sci-fi movies in a really good way. The plot is as brilliant as it is simple and gets you completely hooked from beginning to end. Even I, which had Schwarzenegger as an idol in my younger years can't say he is a gifted actor. But truth be told, the role of the Terminator was made for him.

If you haven't seen it yet, then I can definatively recommend it. Tough some of those among you sensitive to blood may consider skipping some parts.

Okay, the next one. The sequel of the first Alien movie, Aliens, once again nailed home Cameron as a solid director. The plot has been copied and imitated so many times that it is almost redicolus. While not as much of a pure horror movie as the first one, it manages to stand on its own remarkably well and doesn't become a weak copy like way to many sequels often become. This one is also recommended, but again, not for the faint-hearted.

Now, moving over to perhaps my favorite movie of all time, Terminator 2: Judgement day.

Here, the roles are reversed, and a identical copy of the villain of the first movie is now the protector of the hero. But don't worry about Arnie godmoding his way out of this pinch. The new villain is badder than ever, and the ability to immitate other objects or persons adds to his creepyness. Who is really the bad guy?

Another one of his movies that might be worth a watch is True Lies from 1994. Once again, Arnie is one of the lead roles, together with Jamie Lee Curtis. A comedy/action that seems to have been forgotten. It manages both to be thrilling and funny.

Tough he also directed Titanic, I'll skip saying anything about that one. One reason because "everybody" have allready seen it, but also because I don't really like it that much.

Ok that termantior movie was good, Ill give you that.

Had anyone watch the Matrix? I watch all three of the trilogy. It was awsome and yet it put an sense of uncertainty in your head. But mostly, the movie was designed to do that.

From Wikipedia:

In the dystopia the series depicts, Earth is dominated by sentient machines. Humans are grown in pods and are connected by cybernetic implants to an artificial reality called the Matrix, which keeps their minds under control while the machines use the bioelectricity and thermal energy of their bodies as an energy source.

The virtual reality world simulated by the Matrix resembles human civilization around the turn of the 21st century (this time period was chosen because it is supposedly the pinnacle of human civilization). The majority of the films and games of the Matrix franchise take place in a vast unnamed megacity, although it is not the only city within the Matrix, as other familiar locations are mentioned and visited by the characters during the trilogy and the Animatrix. As this environment is practically indistinguishable from reality, except when a slight green tinge appears (becoming more prominent as the series continues), the majority of humans connected to the Matrix are unaware of its true nature. Most of the central characters in the series know that it is not 'real' and as a result can partially bend the simulation's physical laws in order to perform superhuman feats within the simulation.

The virtual world is first introduced in The Matrix. The Animatrix short film "The Second Renaissance", and the comic "Bits and Pieces of Information" show how the initial conflict between humans and machines came about, and how and why the Matrix was first developed. Its history and purpose are further explained in The Matrix Reloaded.

The films include numerous and varied references to literary, philosophical and religious works. Notable examples include references to the "White Rabbit" and the "Rabbit Hole", referencing Lewis Caroll's "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" along with the use of a mirror as a portal to another world as explored in Carol's "Through the Looking Glass".

Biblical and historical references are found in the names of places and vehicles in the Trilogy, such as the "hovercraft" named "Nebuchadnezzar". Though it is not clear whether this name refers to either of the Babylonian Kings of the same name, or merely shares the literal meaning "Nabu (god of wisdom), preserve/defend my firstborn son", which could refer to the ships role in the protection of "The One". Another notable name is the City of Zion, often used as an Antonym for the City of Jerusalem in Abrahamic religious texts.

• 1 month later...

A couple of weeks ago, I watched Transformer 2, and I must ask all you who have seen it: Did anyone else find it to be a appauling load of rubbish? How could it go that wrong?

They had a enourmous franchise to play around in, nerly unlimited budget and could pick the best actors in the world. But for some reason, they ended up with a stupid plot, bad actors with terrible lines, and the action scenes which was meant to be the redeeming factor didn't appeal to me in any way.

I didn't expect it to be a deep masterpiece, but they could at least have bothered to churn out something better than this. As we speak, the third movie is in production. Let's hope they don't mess this one up as completely.

if you watch transformers 1 one time, it looks awesome, but when you see it again, it makes chiken shot look fun.

The first one was bearable, not so with the second one. It's the first movie I have ever considered not watching to the end.

Transformers was never great. Watching the original series now, it's really bad. Much like Mask. The 86 film was good, but beyond that, it's been rubbish. Even so, the films took something that could be good, but piss all over it. While I normally hate moviebob, and this is about the second film, this sums up my opinion of the first film.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/797-Transformers-Revenge

A couple of weeks ago, I watched Transformer 2, and I must ask all you who have seen it: Did anyone else find it to be a appauling load of rubbish? How could it go that wrong?

They had a enourmous franchise to play around in, nerly unlimited budget and could pick the best actors in the world. But for some reason, they ended up with a stupid plot, bad actors with terrible lines, and the action scenes which was meant to be the redeeming factor didn't appeal to me in any way.

I didn't expect it to be a deep masterpiece, but they could at least have bothered to churn out something better than this. As we speak, the third movie is in production. Let's hope they don't mess this one up as completely.

that movie was all about seeing Megan Fox's boobs in slow motion; it seems to me that e the movies aren't about the transformers, in the second one, every single human actors' screen time in ratio to the transformers' must be like, 10:1

What's with everyone freaking out about Megan Fox anyway, I see her, shrug, and go, "Ehhh." But I mean, even Wolf is in on it.meganfoxb.jpg

What's with everyone freaking out about Megan Fox anyway, I see her, shrug, and go, "Ehhh." But I mean, even Wolf is in on it.meganfoxb.jpg

hell, 2 and 1/2 hours of watching her boobs in slow motion has me discouraged about her.

besides, she's too old for me anyways lol

Guest Julius Quasar

I hate Megan Fox, she's an ????

Hear, hear!  She's a no-talent hack, and she's not that pretty....she's skanky...she doesn't deserve to to be famous, there are so many more deserving actresses out there.

watched cowboy bebop: the movie yerstday.

love the series, the movie wasn't too bad either, but not as good as the series.

a new movie: hercules, a live-action one true to the myth. It has sean astin in it (Sam from lord of the rings) he just isn't the main.

On Sabre's recommendation, I just watched District 9. And I tought it was brilliant!

Sure, the main character was annoying to watch, like all stupid people are, but without that the film wouldn't have been the same.

Well worth a watch this one. I'm not going to spoil any of the plot, watch it to find out what happens!

On Sabre's recommendation, I just watched District 9. And I tought it was brilliant!

Sure, the main character was annoying to watch, like all stupid people are, but without that the film wouldn't have been the same.

Well worth a watch this one. I'm not going to spoil any of the plot, watch it to find out what happens!

The bit at the end with the giant frog that shoots fire out of it's teeth was great wasn't it? :P