Next Star Fox Game: speculation and ideas. (REBOOT)

DZComposer

Or my favourite method of fire ~ reboot the series back to just after the LW (A year or something), then all the characters are still young, (Fox is 20-21, peppy is 46-47), you could bring Krystal into it (If we MUST have her... I'm a Fara fan through and through) in a way that ISN'T cliché, ridiculous and makes her into a basket case (*Cough* Command *Cough*). And then because the characters aren't getting to the ends of their useful careers, and you haven't had a thousand different invasions you can be a lot more inventive and free with the plot.

Star Fox Adventures (Great game though it was) and all it's plot holes and conundrums can be put down to a spin-off or non-canon as can be Assault and Command( :D ).

You can also have faster flying, more Area 6 like levels, Missions with the Great Fox, spectacular graphics, lasers galore, barrel rolls, spec ops like foot missions that require a measure of thought and stealth, semi-realtime strategy (I.e. StarFox2), performance based difficulty regime(I.E. LW/SF64), more barrel rolls and ships exploding, lasers everywhere & lots of glory.

There, my piece is said; what does everyone else think? :hehe:

WELCOME TO SFO YOU GENIUS

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LoneWolf

• Dragzilla66

• OneUnder

• DZComposer

Please, tell me once this is nót fake! (I think it is, but I hope it's not)

I want to say that was a concept menu that TSLO did for Shadows of Lylat. We ended up not using it.

TSLO has since fallen off the face of the internet and has taken all of his work with him, so I wasn't able to validate my memory, but one thing is for sure, it isn't made by Nintendo.

It's consistent with a FS2 menu, though, seeing as it has Pilot, Tech Data, Campaign, and Options.

OT: We could always go with the Star Falco ending. That would make an interesting series. Fox stuck in a group with a sexually confused frog, the frog's ugly wife, and Krystal.

LOL no.

OT: We could always go with the Star Falco ending. That would make an interesting series. Fox stuck in a group with a sexually confused frog, the frog's ugly wife, and Krystal.

LOL no.

You better be joking because thats a horrible idea..  :8):

Or my favourite method of fire ~ reboot the series back to just after the LW (A year or something), then all the characters are still young, (Fox is 20-21, peppy is 46-47), you could bring Krystal into it (If we MUST have her... I'm a Fara fan through and through) in a way that ISN'T cliché, ridiculous and makes her into a basket case (*Cough* Command *Cough*). And then because the characters aren't getting to the ends of their useful careers, and you haven't had a thousand different invasions you can be a lot more inventive and free with the plot.

Star Fox Adventures (Great game though it was) and all it's plot holes and conundrums can be put down to a spin-off or non-canon as can be Assault and Command( :D ).

You can also have faster flying, more Area 6 like levels, Missions with the Great Fox, spectacular graphics, lasers galore, barrel rolls, spec ops like foot missions that require a measure of thought and stealth, semi-realtime strategy (I.e. StarFox2), performance based difficulty regime(I.E. LW/SF64), more barrel rolls and ships exploding, lasers everywhere & lots of glory.

There, my piece is said; what does everyone else think? :hehe:

That's an awesome idea! :D

..But I prefer an StarFox Adventures/StarFox Assault crossover. Assault's action + weapons and Adventures it's story, places...

New here but I have been thinking about this a lot.

Would you hate it if the game went all the way back to the "first" Starfox team, were you would play as a young James McCloud (or possibly a young Peppy since we all know what happens to James) with Peppy and Pigma. There is a lot of potential for flushing out all there motives, perhaps Pigma was really torn about his betrayal? that would make him harder to hate but truly its not that hard. We could really see how Starfox started.

Plot wise; why not start with James' purchase of the Great Fox and having to repay his dept, then add the canon pirate space battles for sector X and its lead up, and finally end with the eventual connection with Andross and the failed mission to stop him. this already sets up nicely with the main Starfox plot line and can serve as a real base to make the following games have a more powerful impact.

Personally I'd want a little more since this is the "next" era in gaming and have a third person part to the game, in the very least the ability to wander around the Great Fox and talk to Peppy, Pigma, and Rob before and after the missions and of course have a briefing room to talk to a lesser ranked Colonel Pepper to start missions. Something like the Ebon Hawk from Knights of the old Republic and its sequel.

I'd also like a more realistic (as much as can be with talking critters in spaceships) and gritty atmosphere, it can have comic relief here and there, but seriously it needs to be grown up a bit. The whole "action and consequence" scenario.

Anywho just thoughts...

Do you mean a STRATEGIC "action and consequence" scenario? or a STORY "action and consequence" scenario? because story ones where you are hard-wired into taking a particular decision and then have to face the aftermath are generally horrible...

Personally I used to think that it would be great to see James' missions etc, but these days I'm against it... why, 2 reasons,

::1:: The Story of Lylat Wars works BECAUSE you're not entirely sure what happened, The relationship between Pigma, Peppy and James is something that we're left guessing at, was Pigma a greedy swine all along? Was he a good guy who was tempted over to the DarkSide as it were? We don't know, and we're left to draw our own conclusions, if you dictate the story one way or the other then you you will upset people (unless you're George Lucas and can somehow make a prequel that people like) because the way they see the character has to change dramatically. (It is worth noting that this tends to happen less in future development, I'm not entirely sure why).

::2:: The StarFox games (And this is why I'm opposed to far future gen games as well), are primarily about Fox, Slippy & Falco, and to a lesser extend, Peppy and Krystal. And if you take them out, then to me that Game instantly looses half it's appeal, it might as well be a completely different game. It's like the Myst Games without Atrus, it kinda looses most of the charm.

I know that probably seems a bit strange, but that's just the way I see it... If you wanted to do that kind of Prequel, then a comic or novel seems more appropriate...

To conclude, you can 'grow up' StarFox a little bit, but there is a limit to how much you can do it ~ StarFox at it's heart is a children's game, and if you take that away from it; and dry to turn it into a gritty Halo type game (That's from what I've HEARD of it ~ I must profess to have never actually played Halo), then something in the series irreparably dies...

gritty Halo type game (That's from what I've HEARD of it ~ I must profess to have never actually played Halo), then something in the series irreparably dies...

Halo? Gritty?

LOLOLOLOLOL

You've got it all wrong, mate, go play Halo. Halo was darker than Starfox for sure, but nowhere near as dark as Half-Life, Call of Duty, or Gears of War. Halo is not all that dark.

Yes on the strategic consequences.

As for your points I understand where you're coming from. The mystery of the game is what makes you want to know more about it, but for example; the fact that the Lylat system looks different in every game... or that plants seem to disappear or never exist in the first place tends to ruin the continuity of the series. Something more permanent and explainable should be in place, it doesn't mean there isn't mystery, it just means there is something more to base future games off of.

I understand about the main characters, the game has always been about Fox and Co. I was just thinking of something new to experience in the Starfox universe. Trust me I had thoughts about how to incorporate other characters as well so that no one would be totally left out.

If I had the ability to remake the whole series I would do away with adventures completely so Krystal would end up in the "64" remake. As for Assault I'd keep the first part of the first level but keep the player fighting Andrews' remnant forces that might be funded by a rouge colonel like Sheers or something.

As for your points I understand where you're coming from. The mystery of the game is what makes you want to know more about it, but for example; the fact that the Lylat system looks different in every game... or that plants seem to disappear or never exist in the first place tends to ruin the continuity of the series. Something more permanent and explainable should be in place, it doesn't mean there isn't mystery, it just means there is something more to base future games off of.

I understand about the main characters, the game has always been about Fox and Co. I was just thinking of something new to experience in the Starfox universe. Trust me I had thoughts about how to incorporate other characters as well so that no one would be totally left out.

If I had the ability to remake the whole series I would do away with adventures completely so Krystal would end up in the "64" remake. As for Assault I'd keep the first part of the first level but keep the player fighting Andrews' remnant forces that might be funded by a rouge colonel like Sheers or something.

That's a pretty good idea you got there.

Nice. :yes:

Thanks! I got a lot more, like how the levels would play out and stuff, but that seems like it should be on another topic.

Now if only someone would hire me for my brains instead of my rugged manly looks.

Now if only someone would hire me for my brains instead of my rugged manly looks.

Someone sounds over confident in themselves.  :P

I know I've stated this before, but how about Star Wars Battlefront style? I don't mean in the controls-I much rather think Uncharted 's control scheme would work rather well for ground combat and Arwing gameplay is already suberb. Don't fix what ain't broken.  :P

But think about it. For those who haven't played Star Wars Battlefront before it's basically a real time war shooter that basically revolves on you capturing command posts or stealing flags from enemy forces. Something Starfox would really have to do anyway seeing as most of the time they're trying to either run out invading forces, or take back a central planet. Now we got a taste of that in Command but I'm talking the whole nine yards here.

For instance.....imagine Starfox's next mission is to capture back Katina from a band of rouge villains. Firstly you would lead the star fox team into an air battle to knock out the enemy's air support. You could choose what you want to do from this part here on out: Do you want to knock out a capitol ship? Participate in a mindless dogfight? Fly your Arwing inside a capitol ship and choose between either blowing it up from the inside, raiding the ship and rendering inoperable, or taking it over and using against the other various ships in space/orbit? It's your choice and that's what makes it fun. Like Star Wars Battlefront, Starfox should have the feeling like you actually command a high risk space adventurer team......because that's what Fox does after all.

Of course, things like invading planets should be involved too. And securing command posts, and commanding your team would take center stage in both modes of Arwing and Ground combat. It's like a Starfox Command that would be GREAT instead of meh-ish.

I know I've stated this before, but how about Star Wars Battlefront style? I don't mean in the controls-I much rather think Uncharted 's control scheme would work rather well for ground combat and Arwing gameplay is already suberb. Don't fix what ain't broken.  :P

But think about it. For those who haven't played Star Wars Battlefront before it's basically a real time war shooter that basically revolves on you capturing command posts or stealing flags from enemy forces. Something Starfox would really have to do anyway seeing as most of the time they're trying to either run out invading forces, or take back a central planet. Now we got a taste of that in Command but I'm talking the whole nine yards here.

For instance.....imagine Starfox's next mission is to capture back Katina from a band of rouge villains. Firstly you would lead the star fox into an air battle to knock out the enemy's air support. You could choose what you want to do from this part here on out: Do you want to knock out a capitol ship? Participate in a mindless dogfight? Fly your Arwing inside a capitol ship and choose between either blowing it up from the inside, raiding the ship and rendering inoperable, or taking it over and using against the other various ships in space/orbit? It's your choice and that's what makes it fun. Like Star Wars Battlefront, Starfox should have the feeling like you actually command a high risk space adventurer team......because that's what Fox does after all.

Of course, things like invading planets should be involved too. And securing command posts, and commanding your team would take center stage in both modes of Arwing and Ground combat. It's like a Starfox Command that would be GREAT instead of meh-ish.

That. Sounds. AWESOME.  :shock:  :D

For instance.....imagine Starfox's next mission is to capture back Katina from a band of rouge villains. Firstly you would lead the star fox into an air battle to knock out the enemy's air support. You could choose what you want to do from this part here on out: Do you want to knock out a capitol ship? Participate in a mindless dogfight? Fly your Arwing inside a capitol ship and choose between either blowing it up from the inside, raiding the ship and rendering inoperable, or taking it over and using against the other various ships in space/orbit? It's your choice and that's what makes it fun. Like Star Wars Battlefront, Starfox should have the feeling like you actually command a high risk space adventurer team......because that's what Fox does after all.

I agree with this idea. (Except this time I mean it  :trollface:) I personally loved star wars battle front mostly for the gameplay but the style and "stories" involved were also enjoyable. But the only problem I see is star fox doesn't command a force of soldiers which presents a problem seeing as I don't think anyone here wants new members to star fox.

But the only problem I see is star fox doesn't command a force of soldiers which presents a problem seeing as I don't think anyone here wants new members to star fox.

True. Which is why things would things would have to be balanced a bit. Maybe members of the Starfox team could have higher stats than most, making them capable of taking on opposing armies. Depending on certain planets, Fox (Or Falco or Krystal) could command certain Corneria Army forces acting as temporary leaders. There are a lot of ways you could make it work I'm sure. But if Nintendo ever does to make such a Starfox title I'm sure they'll figure it out.  :wink: 

True. Which is why things would things would have to be balanced a bit. Maybe members of the Starfox team could have higher stats than most, making them capable of taking on opposing armies. Depending on certain planets, Fox (Or Falco or Krystal) could command certain Corneria Army forces acting as temporary leaders. There are a lot of ways you could make it work I'm sure. But if Nintendo ever does to make such a Starfox title I'm sure they'll figure it out.  :wink:

Well I suppose it is possible for the team to command military factions, also a thought occurred. Star Wolf can take the place of the villain faction and since they already have a army of thugs then that's a setup. Or instead star fox/star wolf could be the heroes/villains in the stories and you could be the soldiers in the armies.

Well I suppose it is possible for the team to command military factions, also a thought occurred. Star Wolf can take the place of the villain faction and since they already have a army of thugs then that's a setup. Or instead star fox/star wolf could be the heroes/villains in the stories and you could be the soldiers in the armies.

Exactly. I was thinking this too. StarWolf is covered because of the thugs you see in Assault. But StarFox would be a little trickier. But considering that StarFox and the Cornerian Army work together a lot in the first place, it wouldn't be much of a stretch to have them command some Cornerian Soldiers. Plus it would serve as an excuse for Bill Grey and General Pepper to be playable as commanding officers. (Like the heroes in Battlefront II)

Also I was thinking. For extra modes besides the story, (Like instant action, galactic conquest etc) there could be additional armies to choose from. Like have a Sharpclaw troop with General Scales as a commanding officer. Or Aparoid troops. Or possibly even Venomanian army even though having Andross as a commanding officer would be hard to pull off. (Unless you gave him a normal body, or made it Dash, I dunno. lol)

Also I was thinking. For extra modes besides the story, (Like instant action, galactic conquest etc) there could be additional armies to choose from. Like have a Sharpclaw troop with General Scales as a commanding officer. Or Aparoid troops. Or possibly even Venomanian army even though having Andross as a commanding officer would be hard to pull off. (Unless you gave him a normal body, or made it Dash, I dunno. lol)

I think the Sharp claws and aparoids would only be playable during hunt mode, Andross probably wouldn't make a appearance however.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the most important thing that needs to be in the next Star Fox game is the replayability. Now I'm not talking about littering Rally-X flags in seemingly randomly spots for unlocking multiplayer stuff, nor am I talking in terms of multiple endings. What I want is more ways to play the single player mode like different characters, more ships (SNES throwback Arwing, anyone?), branching paths, bonus modes, etc. I kind of liked the on foot missions in Assault, but they did over-stay their welcome, so I propose they be short and sweet and few and far between.

Next up would be some kind of currency system for buying the extras you unlock, sort of like F-Zero GX's ticket system. So lets say each stage hands out a certain amount of credits, easier stages hand out the least while harder stages hand out the most. Once you beat the game, you are then able to spend said credits in the shop to buy whatever you like/can afford.

Lastly, of course there would have to be multiplayer. Co-op campaign would be fun, and we can't forget the deathmatch stuff either. Just make that like Assaults' versus mode but better.

I kind of liked the on foot missions in Assault, but they did over-stay their welcome, so I propose they be short and sweet and few and far between.

I honestly enjoyed the on-foot sections, but if they were done with more attention to detail, had better objectives, and made similar to other 3rd person shooters control-wise, I believe they would have been much better. 

Does anyone want a much larger Corneria city? Even if all parts aren't accessible, I want it to look like an actual city, not just a smallish island in the middle of a featureless sea. That makes no sense, as far as the evolution of cities go. There would be no resources there at all. At least make it somewhat like NYC, on a peninsula, with maybe a delta connecting a major river to a sea. And make it actually look like the hubcap of the Lylat system. And let us go in some buildings please. Like a restaurant. Maybe a mechanics shop to get supplies or something. /fangirl griping.

• 2 weeks later...

Cornerian city looks vague; Here are some examples to make it actually good

I agree; I would of liked it if there were more buildings and if the city was located on mainland, like you said. For a place that probably has a high population, it looks bare and widespread. I would like it if it looked identical to either Hong Kong or Singapore (not literally, thou).

I honestly enjoyed the on-foot sections, but if they were done with more attention to detail, had better objectives, and made similar to other 3rd person shooters control-wise, I believe they would have been much better.

Sticky cover system, anyone?