*Newest* [Build 1.0.1]: Mirror 1

[Build 1.0.0]: Mirror 1

[Build 0.0.6]: Mirror 1

Downloadable Content:

None at the current moment =(

Screenshots:

newoptionsmenu.jpg 

newoptionsmenu.th.jpgss20121110at094208.th.jpgdebriefnew.th.png

Big List of New Additions and Alterations [From 1.0.0 and above]!

• Remastered and reworked intro sequence!
  • Arwing complete overhaul controls!
  • Remappable controls!
  • Remastered units!
  • New health bar!
  • New Spawning System!
  • Explosions! Ka-boooooooooom!
  • Remastered homing system
  • Improved collision detection
  • Massively improved loading times
  • New HUD system
  • Revamped stage select
  • Debriefing!

Aah... Game Maker. This reminds of when I was a 13 years old boy and I had ( and still have ) Game Maker 5.0.

Now I'm more on RPG Maker XP and VX... and on Doom 3's SDK... and other stuff around them.

Anyway, is it just me or did Game Maker get a bit... "RPG Maker-ish"? I can tell from the first three screenshots you posted.

Anyway, is it just me or did Game Maker get a bit... "RPG Maker-ish"? I can tell from the first three screenshots you posted.

It still retains the basic layout used in GM5. (From what I gathered on google) But it has gone slightly RPG maker-esqued which I don't mind. It's easier to develop sprites and use tile sets now so that's always a plus. :D They also have a better transparency setting since before the bottom right (or was it left?) would be the colour that was transparent in the sprite.

I've dabbled into RPG Maker VX and I thought it was a great step up from XP.

Sounds pretty good IMHO.

I've dabbled into RPG Maker VX and I thought it was a great step up from XP.

Mmh...

I actually think that VX is a step backward from XP. Yes, it has its good things like the RGSS2 being faster, or the "Notes" that let you put additional effects and shit for items, skills, states, etc., but they did too much stuff wrong, like putting back things from the old RPG Makers that were actually done better in XP, or totally ruining them ( changing tilesets without overwriting the originals is a total mess, you can't even do it without scripting ).

I could go on forever about this...

Everything would have been more simplier if they just did one RPG Maker, and started doing regular updates to it, like... every other kind of software does.

Still, a problem I have with both is that I don't see why they have a limit of 999 IDs.

I can understand a limit for 999 items, 999 armors, 999 weapons, 999 states and 999 usable characters because it's hard to reach these numbers. I just don't understand the 999 maps limit. When you're making a long game, it's not really that hard to reach the limit ( you have to count that some maps are used just for the "cinematics" ). The only two ways to get around it is to merge maps together and use a script to load maps from another folder, which is pretty annoying.

RPG Maker 2003, instead, can handle 99999 IDs... Enterbrain, WTF?

Lol, sorry about the rant. :V

• Like 1

RPG Maker 2003, instead, can handle 99999 IDs... Enterbrain, WTF?

RPG2k3 was quite the black sheep though... But it is also weird to see a company go backwards.

I can understand your frustration on the maps part. Especially since most long RPG that are very intensive games can surpass 999 maps. Some people like simple details like small corridors, rooms to every door that is present, long dungeons, so on and so forth. Especially if they're just for cinematics. Those maps take a good 95% of your game. XD

Anyways I added a couple of settings to the game... It only lacks music... But then again it is a tech demo and I want people to find as many bugs as they can.

I just have to re-add the fade effect to the logo and upload it. Probably to YoYoGames since they check for viruses on uploads. (That way it's a reliable source and is guaranteed virus free! :D)

Edit: Speaking of which: I just finished the fade on the logo. Huzzah!

I uploaded the fixed version of the logo to the first post for a before-after difference.

I also fixed a positioning problem with the Arwing. It would spawn particles and objects at the wrong spots.

Finally I got around to adding the "Debug" menu for the game.

//DEBUGGING MENU

if(room==rm_main_menu){

draw_sprite_stretched(spr_menubase,0,238,199,155,19)

draw_sprite_stretched(spr_menubase,0,238,225,155,19)

draw_text(270,200,"On Rails Test")

draw_text(240,225,"All Range Mode Test")

if(Opt_Select=="On_Rails") {

draw_sprite(spr_select_arrow,0,217,202)}

if(Opt_Select=="All_Range") {

draw_sprite(spr_select_arrow,0,217,227)}

}

I also fixed a bug earlier where it would remain on the same spot regardless of what arrow key your pressed by adding a delay variable as described below.

if(Opt_Select=="On_Rails" && delay) 

delay=0

Opt_Select="All_Range" 

if(Opt_Select=="All_Range" && delay) 

delay=0

Opt_Select="On_Rails" 

delay=1

So now I can freely select between All Range and On Rails rather than switching the maps around constantly. Fixed a bug with deactivating instances where they would clump together when they appeared on screen. (Something to reduce the amount of memory and CPU usage of the game)

I recently got a 3DS so that's corrupted most of my free time to do anything artsy.

However I did get a small head sketch of Fox done recently. I choose his Brawl style since it seems easier to do. (And it goes with the rest of my sketch book - Cartoon-esqued. xD)

Oh and the person I submitted the entrance to dungeon 2 in sent back his modifications and inserted it into the game. Here's what the final product came out to: (With the "Before - After" effect, they all link to imageshack.us)

dungeon1.th.pngdungeon1ingame.th.png

Left is the one I submitted and the right is the one that is the final copy. I think it came out awesome. I like the modifications he made.

MY impression on the 3DS:

I like the 3DS. It took 3 iterations of the original DS for me to finally talk about getting a new one. (I had the original one. Now that I've got my upgrade I don't wanna turn back to it. Hahaha) The 3DS effect is nice. Feels like I'm watching the game from a angle with more depth. However I don't like the game selection for the 3DS so far... The only thing I got for it is Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D which was a great remake. I have the original sitting in my N64 (Where ever that is atm) although I can only hope for a Majora's Mask remake... They're practically sister games. Can't have one without the other. :P I can't wait for Star Fox 64 3D now.

Yeah i considered Majoras mask and orcarina of time two parts of the same game. They are best played together in my opinion. Sooo much fun.

• Like 1

Majora's Mask is definitely one of my favorite games ever, it's a shame that it was so short. It took me a couple years to summon the courage to get past the Gibdos and ReDeads though, so I still made that game last a long while. I was such a wuss back then, lol.

• Like 1

Yeah i considered Majoras mask and orcarina of time two parts of the same game. They are best played together in my opinion. Sooo much fun.

I immediately though "Two sides of the same coin" when you thought that... I dunno why I brought that up but HEY, it's me. They are best played together though. I think Majoras Mask is my favourite out of the series. I remember playing this game for hours. :D

Majora's Mask is definitely one of my favorite games ever, it's a shame that it was so short. It took me a couple years to summon the courage to get past the Gibdos and ReDeads though, so I still made that game last a long while. I was such a wuss back then, lol.

Well, at least you didn't rage quit at the Stone Tower temple. Oh my god it was HILARIOUS how stupid I was. XD

I had a guide too. Didn't use it at all through the whole game til when I wanted to find all the heart pieces... Oh my god some of those heart pieces were so retardedly hard to find. XD

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anyways for my daily blog entry: I just saw Transformers 3 and it was pretty amazing. It was definitely a feast for the eyes. The lighting, the angles, the story line were all just perfect. Then again, I've never been much of a critic when it comes to movies; could have horrible voice acting for all I care. Hahaha.

Sadly no development progress today... But then again it's good to take a break once in a while. Hopefully tomorrow I can do at least fix the homing laser... Oh jeez this is going to be annoying. I'll have to add a target lock and a priority list. XD Either that or I can take the lazy way out and make it so the laser follows the mouse and once it hits the mouse location it just keeps moving on from there and flies off the screen. Decisions, decisions, decisions... Hahaha.

I can also release the demo and write a list of already known bugs.

I am aliveee! What best way to celebrate than to write down what I've done lately:

On Canada Day (July 1st): Went to a concert down in Surrey... I liked the concert, I just didn't like the smell of pot everywhere. Icky.

Saturday: Hiked to 7-Eleven with my friend. Went to McDonalds down the street and went home... Oh a got a bunch of crates in TF2. I wanna smelt them. D:

Sunday: Hiked to the other 7-Eleven, than to FutureShop... Than down the freeway and back up the freeway and across Willowbrook Mall and found ourselves at Fat Burger (Oh god) than down the street we found BestBuy. Than we stopped at McDonalds (again... I hate eating more than once a week.) for a breather and hiked all the way down to get home. That was fun. I hurt my leg on the way back. It hurts to straighten my leg out now... Ohwell it'll feel better later.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

No development entries during that entire weekend. I was busy with my friend staying over for a while.... He dominates my computer when he's here and I never get to use it. (I don't blame him, it's 100% better than his dads and laptop computer.) So I get demoted to his laptop. It's funny because in a game he gets "upset" about on his laptop I do 50% better than he does. XD

Oh and I'm loving my 3DS. Such an upgrade from the original. It finally fits in my pocket!

Yeah pot doesnt smell good, lol and its always horrible when some one crashes the party with it imo. But hey its illegal for a reason in the US i guess! lol have fun and keep on keepin on dude!

• Like 1

Yeah pot doesnt smell good, lol and its always horrible when some one crashes the party with it imo. But hey its illegal for a reason in the US i guess! lol have fun and keep on keepin on dude!

I wanted to reply to this. But I don't know what to saaay. D:

Oh I also found the best thread ever today with Redeemer and r3dfive: <--- I was laughing soooo hard. XD

Notes: Today is the first day I actually TOUCH the SF2D code and my immediate response is:

"AAAH! I can't believe I did the deactivation code wrong! ARG! Now I have to create a manual activation code. @_@"

//Step

if(global.all_range==0 || global.all_range==2)

if(y < 0) instance_deactivate_object(self)

if(y > room_height+32) instance_deactivate_object(self)

The "before code"

My simplicity astounds me... How long was I up when I wrote this on Tues- wait... It was probably 2-3am on Wednesday. Never mind I see the problem here.

//Creation Event:

instance_active=false

//Step Event:

if(y > view_yview[0]) { instance_active=true }

if(y < view_yview[0]) { instance_deactivate_object(self) } //Lets face it, we're not going to see it after this

if(y > room_height+32 || y < 0) { instance_deactivate_object(self) }

if(x > room_width+32 || x < 0) { instance_deactivate_object(self) }

//Step Event, Draw Event: (It's own tab in it's respected event)

if(instance_active==true)

//default Step/Draw procedures here

The soon-to-be "after code"

This is the more correct form of the code. Especially for a game with huge maps that ware on any computer (Especially in Game Maker. It can't handle huge maps very well)

I've also narrowed down the glitches/bugs/problems/ect I've found before release: (This will also be pasted to the first post and updated as they're fixed)

Lasers

- Sometimes the laser with duplicate while using the single laser

- Don't travel fast enough

- Electromagnetic turns on a dive

- Electiomagnetic doesn't target certain instances of an object

- Electromagnetic constantly changes it's target and doesn't prioritize

- Electromagnetic awarded points when it destroyed itself outside the room boundary

- Electromagnetic doesn't add a mark on it's target

Arwing

- Gets stuck outside the room boundary in All Range mode. (VERY dependent on your angle, timing and precision on when you intersect the boundary.)

- Travels too fast in On Rails

- Boosting didn't give the feeling of you going fast due to it's short use in On Rails mode.

Asteroids

- Doesn't deactivates outside the room

- Doesn't deactivate inside the view port (yet) of the Arwing

Man it has been so long since i have done any sort of programing let alone Java script im surprised i could understand anything you wrote.

• Like 1

Man it has been so long since i have done any sort of programing let alone Java script im surprised i could understand anything you wrote.

Woo the first person to comment on anything code related. :D

Well once you've used any form code language you don't forget... Just like a second language. XD

This is a pretty old (a week ago) upload, didn't know why I never thought to post it here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GburBkmc7uU&feature=channel_video_title

The music was added into the video, so it won't be playing in the game.

I also have 2 other "in-development" videos but those are going to remain on Facebook for now.

Note: A lot has changed from this video such as the intro, Arwing movement, background scrolling and bug fixes. Best seen on YouTube itself.

I may understand parts of code, but for the life of me i can't write it. I've taken several classes too. Maybe it was the teacher or maybe the way my mind function but logic and code seemed to vary different and separate things.

• Like 1

I may understand parts of code, but for the life of me i can't write it. I've taken several classes too. Maybe it was the teacher or maybe the way my mind function but logic and code seemed to vary different and separate things.

Well atleast you understand some. :P

I fixed a bunch of bugs with the asteroids and Arwing. (Some that weren't on the list)

I'm still working on the vertical movement bug... I scratched it off for now since I haven't seen it for awhile after I modified a few variables.

Eureka! I have finally formulated the homing laser code! Waaaay better than the previous code.

Since I'm stupid, I forgot all instances in the game have a unique id. GM came with a built in instance locator such as instance_furthest, instance_nearest so on. These functions check the instance id based on respective distance from the laser.

So the code basically goes like this:

if(collision_circle(x,y,320,instance_nearest(x,y,<object here>),true,true))

move_towards_point(instance_nearest(x,y,obj_bigAsteroid).x,instance_nearest(x,y,obj_bigAsteroid).y,10)

The more advanced version would be adding an idTarget variable that keeps the computer from switching instances.

/*!Creation Event!*/

idTarget = 0

/*!Step Event!*/

//If there isn't a target

if(!idTarget)

//Move up 12 pixels a step

y -= 12

//If idTarget doesn't have a value and there is a nearest instance within the collision circle of 320 pixel radius (Excluding the instance itself)

if(collision_circle(x,y,320,instance_nearest(x,y,<blahblahblah>),true,true)) && !idTarget) 

//Set the idTarget to the nearest instance

idTarget = instance_nearest(x,y,<blahblahblah>)

//If there is a target

if(idTarget) 

//Move towards the target at a speed of 12

move_towards_point(idTarget.y,idTarget.x,12) 

I've tested the code out, (The basic one) since I have asteroids "deactivating" (The equivalent of destroying them) once it passes the height of view[0], it does not target the instance since it technically no longer exists to the computer.

Oh by the way, I just wrote the whole advance piece without even adding it into the game code yet... Sad how I memorize all these functions and know what they mean. I get to wipe the old homing laser code out of the Arwing and Electro Laser and replace it with a new one. WHAT FUN! XD

T-t-t-t-t-triple post!

Anyways, I have finally finished the priority list and retargeting system of the Electromagnetic Laser (As I call it... It's the homing laser) once it targets an object, it will only target a similar target of the same object name unless there is no target of the same object properties nearby then it targets another object. I can easily remove this by replacing this line:

if(objFollow == true && idTarget) {

idTarget.target = false

idTarget=instance_nearest(x,y,<obj>)

idTarget.target = true }

With the following:

if(objFollow == true && idTarget) {

idTarget.target = false

idTarget = null

}

Thus procing the other statement since the Target ID field is null:

if(objFollow == true && !idTarget) { 

idTarget=instance_nearest(x,y,<obj>)

idTarget.target = true }

Last thing on my list is adding collision detection and fixing a couple of slow down issues that'd I've seen while on the on-rails segment.

Sweet! Its always good to fill accomplished. I almost did not recognize you, cuz of the avie change. That threw me for a loop :P

• Like 1

Sweet! Its always good to feel accomplished. I almost did not recognize you, cuz of the avie change. That threw me for a loop :P

It sure does...

Didn't think that would happen. Guess some people recognize through the picture most of the time. xD

Anyways, I finally... FINALLY finished the demo. Report bugs, slow downs, crashes, and errors.

The following link has been tested and is 100% safe to download files from: (I use it a lot)

Ver. 0.0.1 [CURRENT]: http://ifile.it/0udxh4y/Star%20Fox%202D.exe

If you want a more 'trusted' mirror just tell me.

Previous builds:

None

Controls:

• Left/Right arrow keys = movement
  • Z = Shoot
  • X = Bomb
  • C = Boost
  • V = Brake

Notes:

• You DO NOT have health or any type of unit collision with objects for the time being.
  • You can only fire 1 homing laser at a time on screen.
  • You have the dual plasma lasers on.

Known Bugs: *

1. Homing Laser "teleports" right after shooting it in all range mode. (Due to the way how the draw system currently works. Will be fixed in Ver. 0.0.3)
  2. Homing laser follows the Arwing's x coordinate after shooting it in on rails mode. (Fixed in Ver. 0.0.2)
  3. Sometimes the Arwing moves faster than the scrolling speed when rapidly tapping the C key. (Common issue)

For those who submit errors/bugs/craches/so on to me, I'll add a (<usernamehere>) by the bug list just to give credit where credit is due.

I'll released a fixed version with all the bugs above fixed tomorrow.

Oh and tell me if there is anything wrong with the ZIP or EXE file.

The zip should contain:

1. Instructions
  2. Star Fox 2D.exe

The Star Fox 2D.exe should have an Arwing (as shown in game) icon for 32x32, 64x64 or 16x16 views on your desktop. If it has the normal black and green gear icon tell me.

* I just found a couple of bugs while writing this post up. They will be fixed in ver. 0.0.2 which shall be released tomorrow or the day after.

All information posted here will be updated on the first post.

I fixed the broken download link. I also fixed the on rails segment where the homing laser would follow the arwings X movement after release.

You can find it here: http://ifile.it/0udxh4y/Star%20Fox%202D.exe

This is not 0.0.2 though, it is 0.0.1

I also added a new start up function to prevent a certain "memory leak" with the previous version, please report any problems with start up like errors, cannot read exe file, or the game won't start up as well as in game bugs/glitches/so on so forth.

Bug stomped some bug out of the game today. Played some TF2. Walked to n' from Subway again... I should really pump my tires for my bike so I can have an easier time getting back with my food intact (And pop less shaken.)

I fixed the flickering for some computers. It was caused by the custom loader and the game disabling power options and the screensaver. (Which causes the screen to flicker when you change power options.) (Found by a friend of mine)

Mmm... Meatball marinara... I love Subway. <3

Anyone have a favourite sub? (Or something of the like)

Black Forrest Ham on wheat. Lie, 500cals for $5 and all in a foot length. It makes my tummy and mind happy. Same with my wallet.

• Like 1