MARAUDER: The Hunt for Marauder One

Star_Dragon

Vokun raised an eyebrow at Geo's latest query. "If you refer to pets," he says, "Then no, there is not. We Dragonarians don't treat our dragons as pets. They are our companions and guardians - they are loyal to us as we are to them. But as far as Skyrim goes... I wouldn't know." Vokun looked to Vanessa. "And you are correct about Alduin, though I never met him... which leads me to my suspicions over who Marauder One really is."

Marauder One, after what seemed to be days traveling (Though it had only been a few hours until he happened across a caravan bound for Whiterun), had finally reached Whiterun. He started for the gates of Whiterun, then stopped, sensing a familiar presence. He smiled as he said,

"Drem yol lok, Odahviing."

"Drem yol lok, Dovahkiin," responded a crimson-scaled dragon as he came skulking out from behind a building. "It's been a long time."

"Indeed," Marauder responded. He looked to his old friend. "How's the little one?"

Odahviing smiled. "She is fine. Had her first hunt, today."

"Did she?" Marauder chuckled. "How'd that turn out?"

The dragon chuckled. "She did well, for her first try," he replied. He looked to the nearby city. "You know, Tullius and Ulfric are in town today. I've not seen them in one place together since... well, since you left the last time."

Marauder one sighed. "Which brings me to explain why I am here now," he said. "Walk with me, old friend - I must speak with you..."

"Does it really matter?" Charylin Asks, drawing out a puff for drama. "I mean, we ARE bringing this murderer to justice, right? Even if he turns out to be some "Noble world saving hero", however unlikely that may be, he is still wanted for mass murder." CHarylin sighs.

"I dont think he meant a pet as in a mindless beast, THe both of you seem to think he wants a slave more than a "Cool companion that breaths fire" She chuckles.

"My apprentance, Vicky, she has A Shoggoth named Sprinkles, and the damned thing is the most adorable thing y'all will ever see. Y'all should get one, Geo, so you can avoid pissing the Dragons off. "

"I know dragons shouldn't be treated as 'just pets', but I know I should've made my meaning plainer; I just want a friendly companion which is a dragon. I mean, come on, to get a dragon as 'just a pet'? How would you think a small hedgehog such as me be able to attain such a feat? :lol: ", Geo said. He looked at Charylin, then said, "Yeah maybe I'll check that out sometime in the future. Thanks for letting me know :D "

"Does it really matter?" Charylin Asks, drawing out a puff for drama. "I mean, we ARE bringing this murderer to justice, right? Even if he turns out to be some "Noble world saving hero", however unlikely that may be, he is still wanted for mass murder." CHarylin sighs.

"As I indicated earlier, Charylin," Vokun said, "I don't think Marauder One was responsible for these massacres. Someone else was. I believe that Marauder one was either A.) In the wrong place at the wrong time, or B.) is, himself, investigating these massacres - though his motive for it is unclear. In either case, he more than likely tried to warn the massacred outposts against whatever threat he perceived." Vokun looked to Geo. "And the way Geo noticed the missing bodies from our return to our ship suggests... something. I'm not entirely sure - which is why we must speak with this 'Ancient One' about Marauder One. Marauder One may have told him--"

"Alert," the computer droned, "Approaching destination."

Vokun operated his console. "Show time," he mumbled.

Having spoken to Jarl Balgruuf, Marauder One now waited atop the roof of Dragonsreach - the Jarl's palace. He was cloaked in his adaptive camo, his presence hidden from automated surveillance and masked in the force by the many inhabitants of Skyrim. He brought two fingers to his forehead, and sensed what he was waiting for - Vokun was coming. He opened a coded channel to his party down below.

"They're coming, people - everyone, be ready."

Vanessa ready herself as they came to landing "We should keep our weapons put holstered for now, people get nervous when someone approaches with there weapon drawn",Vanessa suggested.

Clenching her cane in nervousness, Charylin shook her head. "I dont believe that Predators could do such massacre's by themselves and not leave as many wounded or dead behind. More importantly i dont believe you, butI have too many questions for Marauder at this point to articulate anything usefull. LEts go find this JAckass."

Vokun set the Danube down in a clearing just to the south-east of the 7,000 steps to High Hrothgar and powered down. Vokun looked to Charylin and said, "Unless you think you can manage the climb up the steps to High Hrothgar... and the extreme cold up there... I would advise you stay here. The comm channel remains open, and you can listen in on our conversation with Paarthurnax. If you detect anything, contact us - no telling what traps Marauder One has laid while we were getting here." Vokun looked to the others. "Gear up and let's go - but keep your weapons safetied. I don't want any accidental discharges here." He hit a button, and the door opened. Vokun was the first one out, and waited for the others just outside.

Vokun had landed. Marauder One saw it. A Danube-class Runabout. It had to be them.

Dovahkiin, the Ancient one said, Vokun and his band approach.

Very well, Marauder responded. Remember what I told you.

Marauder One headed back to Dragonsreach from the blacksmith shop. Along the way, he happened across Tullius.

"Dovahkiin," he said, "Are you certain this will work?"

"Nothing in this matter is certain," Marauder responded. "But I am confident in our abilities. The Jedi on their team is blind in places like this - and no one else on that team apart from Vokun has been here before. As we speak, they approach the Throat of the World."

"And your old friend, Odahviing?" Tullius inquired.

"He stands ready to assist if needed," Marauder responded, "Though I'm hoping it won't come to that."

"Then we'll dig in and wait for them," Tullius said.

"Oh piss off" Charylin said, Limping down the Ramp with the rest of the group, glaring at Vokun. "I AM a grown Woman, i dont need your Pity. My leg was my fault and im going to be repenting for the rest of time. This is only a step in the road to my SAlvation. Besides, do you want to deal with frost bite and hypothermia? Do you know HOW to deal with frost bite and hypothermia? I dont think so."

SHe stretched her working leg. "I may not be connected to the force, But i can hold my own damn well. I am an Armagistra after all, thats not just a fancy title."

"Oh it's beautiful here", Vanessa said as she stepped out of the Danube and down the ramp.

"Very well," Vokun said. He then began the ascent up the steps to High Hrothgar. "Stay close and watch your step," he said. "It's a long way down." He continued up the steps, keeping his eyes peeled for any sign of Marauder One. The view from the mountain was nothing short of spectacular - the lands of Skyrim stretched on for as far as the eye could see, and a few cities were visible, one of which was...

"See that city down there?" Vokun asked, pointing to a city that seemed in the center of the land. "That's Whiterun - home of Dragonsreach." In an aside directed to no one in particular, he added, "I wonder if Balgruuf is still the Jarl there...?"

As Geo walked, behind the group as usual, he looked around in awe and thought the place was very beautiful, even for a city.

'If only Steve and the others could see what I'm seeing right now', Geo thought...

"I kinda expected More civilization" Charylin Huffed, lowering and raising her cane with rapid intensity, her breath rapid and her eyes wide with energy. "Cyrodiil had more Cities, from what i heard Skyrim was more decrepit, then again, that was a long time ago."

SHe stopped at the edge of the massive cliff side, her eyes squinting to block out the condemning and blinding sun. Her face showed confusion. "Strange. Cyrodiil was more Roman influenced. That Nordic Longhouse shows an interesting evolution of culture."

SHe paused, hearing Vokuns musing. "Jarl? they use Nordic honorifics as well! THis place is interesting... Perhaps they use Huskarls and Berserkers as well!."

She shivered and pulled her hastily acquired Cloak around her tighter, continuing on with each purifying and pligramatic step.

"Wait... give me a second",Vanessa told the group, the air was getting thin and it was starting to take it's toll on her.

She pull out her respirator once more but this time she hooked it to a small oxygen canister.

"I'm sorry for the handicap", Vanessa said; once again her voice distorted from the respirator.

As Vokun continued his ascent up the mountain, the mist became thick. He smiled.

"Did I ever mention to any of you that I had... 'learned' a few things from Paarthurnax?" he asked. Looking into the mist, he shouted, "Lok... Vah Koor!" a wave shot out before him, clearing away the mist. "They ways of the Thu'um can be quite handy in this place as well as others. It is why I suspect that Marauder One may, in fact, be the Dovahkiin."

Unfortunately, Vokun's Thu'um attracted the attention of a wandering Snow Troll. It roared, and Vokun was quick to raise his P3A2 and drill the bastard's skull. The hardened uranium-tungsten rounds tore through it with no difficulty, dropping the ugly monster almost as soon as he reared his head. "Come on," he told the others. "No telling what else is waiting on this mountain."

It was another ten minutes before he reached the Throat of the World, at the peak of the mountain. Sitting perched on what appeared to be a dragon altar, a massive, grey-scaled dragon sat.

"Drem yol lok, Vokun Dok," he said.

"Drem yol lok, Paarthurnax," Vokun responded. "It's been a while."

"Indeed," Paarthurnax affirmed. "I did not think you would return here... you were very... unsettled... the last time we spoke."

"I have since resolved that issue, onik fahdon," Vokun explained. "I come before you now because I seek a dragon referred to me as 'the ancient one.'"

"The ancient one..." Paarthurnax repeated. He slowly got off his perch and approached the group. "What business do you have with the ancient one?"

(Dont you have to travel through High Hrothgar to get to Paarthurnax?)

"IESUS CHRISTE!" Chayrlin jumped back a little farther than what should have been normal for her disability, her eyes locked more on Vokun than The massive flying Reptile slowly aproaching. "WHat the hell are you?" she hissed, her hand clenched tightly around her cane. "And why did a murderer send us to you? And why Does Vokun Know so much about someone he Doesnt know!"

(You do. I just wished to skip that because at this particular time, the Greybeards would either be in their dorms out cold, or in that meeting hall. Either way, they wouldn't have noticed.)

"You are mistaken... Charylin," Paarthurnax stated calmly. "Vokun and I know each other well. I helped him survive here, in Keizaal, long ago when his ship crashed here. Know that you've nothing to fear from me - if my intention was to attack you, you'd have known by now. I saw you land your ship - If I had wanted to destroy you, I would have at least attempted it, by now. But, krosis, I digress. What is your business with the ancient one?"

"My Name is ENCARMIA YOU OVERGROWN NEWT."

Growling threats inaudiable to most around her, Chayrlin Calms herself down. "A murderer we met on a space station said to ask this "ancient one" For answers as to why he feels he should be allowed to murder wantonly."

"Aam? A murderer sent you to meet the ancient one?" Paarthurnax inquired. "Already, you presume much."

"So you know the ancient one?" Vokun asked.

"Of course," Paarthurnax responded. "He's me. I've not been called the Ancient One since the day Dovahkiin left this world."

"Very well," Vokun stated, seemingly unsurprised by the fact that his old friend was the one he'd been sent to find, "Do you know a person called Marauder One?"

"Yes," Paarthurnax said, "I know him. But he is not known as such here."

"What is he called here?" Vokun asked.

"Surely you have heard?" Paarthurnax countered. "Here, he is the Dovahkiin - the Dragonborn."

"Well this keeps getting better," Vokun commented.

"And for the record, Encarmia," Paarthurnax said, "Dovahkiin doesn't murder - whatever you may think. He kills in self-defense and the defense of others."

Vokun nodded. "It'd explain why he drilled those Yaut'ja - and the Imperial Officer's gun," he said. "If he hadn't, they'd have attacked us. Say what you will, Encarmia, but I don't see murder there." He looked to Paarthurnax. "But why send us to you?"

"Whatever his reasons were," Paarthurnax said, "I wouldn't know. I've not seen Dovahkiin in years - but even when I knew him, he had his own ways." He looked to the others present. "If you've questions about Dovahkiin, ask them - I know much."

"And for the record, Dragon, Its still death that doesnt need to happen."

She lit her Cigar, despite the lack of air around her, and blew a puff.

"Yea, i have a question, From the look of things this world isnt that technologically advanced. I saw a Nordic Longhouse down in that valley for Iesu's sake, how did the Dragonborn get off world? And secondoff, where is the Dragonborn? I have a very foot based object to shove up his posterior." She puffed.

"Any other questions from anyone else?"

"I can answer how Dovahkiin got off-world, but it has an extremely long answer," Paarthurnax said. "See, when Dovahkiin first came here, his ship had been... 'knocked out of the star lane,' is how he put it."

"Meaning he crash-landed here," Vokun surmised.

"Yes," Paarthurnax said. "I remember him telling me that shortly after he crashed, his... 'Artificial Intelligence' person activated a beacon to attract a faction he termed as the Dragonarian Empire."

"It'd take them years to get here," Vokun said. "How did he survive that long?"

"As you may have guessed, his weapons lent him an edge," Paarthurnax explained. "He did, however, have two unique blades... Wraith Blades, he called them - and it was by those blades that Alduin was destroyed. After fulfilling his destiny as Dovahkiin, there was a number of events that followed."

"He already told us of how he convinced the other dragons that followed Alduin to serve him," Vokun stated.

"Did he?" Paarthurnax asked. "Did he also tell you that he united the Stormcloak Rebels and the Empire under his banner?"

"He didn't mention it," Vokun replied.

"Yes, it was something done during the Second Great War against the Aldmeri Dominion," Paarthurnax elaborated. "It was during that time that the Dragonarian Empire found him - and lent their support to the Empire, despite the threats by the Thalmor. But the war wasn't important, so I'll spare you the glory details - it was what Dovahkiin found in Thalmor possession after that final battle."

'Dragonborn?', Geo thought. It was the first time he heard a species name with a 'dragon' on it, simply because, well, Geo only knew about dragons.

He looked at the big dragon Vokun was talking too. Perhaps sending them to the Ancient One as Marauder One's way of letting them know him without much interaction from himself. Maybe for personal reasons, or just that he wanted to avoid fights with those who still seems to think he is a murderer. He chanced a look at Chayrlin as he thought about this.

Chayrlin Shared his look, Incredulosity present in all corners of her form. Can you believe this guy? Her face seemed to say, although to the ancient dragon it seemed to show only curiosity. With on hand she kept a good clasp on her cloak, which wrappedd around her arm, was clenched in her cane hand. Her other hand was idly tracing a circle in the air in front of her, compleatly conspicuous,.

"Okay, so Dovahkiin isnt from around here then. Where is he now?" she said, turning away from Geo.

Geo read Chayrlin's expression and a flashback went through his eyes. Marauder One could have told them about his true purpose earlier. 'Instead of flying away with his ship first, why not tell us', Geo thought. 'He had the perfect opportunity to explain himself but no, he had to send us to an elder dragon.'

He looked back at the dragon as Chayrlin turned away from him. It seems Vokun is the only one who trusts the dragon very well, and both think Marauder One isn't the murderer. 'So according to them Marauder One is some sort of a vigilante', Geo thought...

"I do not know where Dovahkiin is, any more than I know where he wanders now," Paarthurnax explained. "But I can tell you I have heard... rumors... that Dovahkiin has returned here on more than one occasion. If this is true, then there are three likely parties that will know where to find Dovahkiin."

"Who?" Vokun asked.

"The first us Balgruuf the Greater, the Jarl of Whiterun," Paarthurnax explained. "After Dovahkiin's people brought trade to this world both during and after the Second Great War, the city has since expanded. The Jarl himself resides in Dragonsreach, the palace that sits atop the hill overlooking the city. It is rumored that Dovahkiin has a home in Whiterun.

"The second would be General Ulfric Stormcloak - the head of what is now known as the Stormcloak Special Forces, the SSF. They were formed just after the start of the war, and Ulfric himself resigned his post as Jarl of Windhelm to command the SSF. As such, he can be... a bit difficult to find.

"The third is General Tullius, the Imperial Legion Commander of the Skyrim-based Imperial Forces, now known as Strike Force Sierra. He is normally found in Solitude. However, you all are in good luck, such as it is."

"Why do you say that?" Vokun asked.

"Today is the start of a week-long festival," Paarthurnax said. "Not only of Dovahkiin's victory over Alduin, but also of the subsequent victories over the Aldmeri Dominion and their Thalmor agents. Tullius, Ulfric, and Balgruuf are all in Whiterun for this little... soiree."

Vokun thought about this for a moment, then bowed to Paarthurnax. "Thank you, onik fahdon, we leave you in peace."

"Ah, before you go," Paarthurnax stated, "I had a question - your... comrade... said you met Dovahkiin on a station. I am curious... what station did you meet him on?"

"The... Cairn Installation, out in the Lennico Asteroid Belt," Vokun responded. "Why?"

"Just... curious," Paarthurnax replied.

Vokun led the others back down the mountain. Once he was clear of High Hrothgar and Paarthurnax, he asked, "Does anyone else get the feeling Dovahkiin will be waiting for us in Whiterun?"

Once Vokun and his band were out of earshot, Paarthurnax turned his attention to that Dragon Altar. "Computer, engage holographic projection Nine-Alpha. Mark following location: Cairn Installation, Lennico Belt."

The corners of the altar lit up, projecting a holographic star map. The said location was highlighted in red, with a zigzagging string of other red-marked locations.

Hmmm... they are advancing faster than we had anticipated, Paarthurnax thought. Opening a coded neural comm line to Dovahkiin, he thought, "Paarthurnax to Dovahkiin."

"Dovahkiin here," Dovahkiin answered. "Go ahead, onik fahdon."

"I have done as you asked - your... 'allies' are on their way down to you," Paarthurnax said. "And I believe I know where our enemy will strike next..."

(Well... that turned out longer than I expected. Oh, well - when you're on a roll, you're on a roll.)

"From the taste of things, yes he will." Chayrlin Agreed, limping down the mountain with the rest of the group. "Although from the looks of it he has been arming the locals with disparaging amounts of technology. We should expect very nasty things waiting for us."