Competitive Star Fox: Assault

SF Redd

When you read that title, you may think to yourself: "Competitive Star Fox: Assault multiplayer? Never heard of it."

Well, it is actually a real thing. Star Fox: Assault has aspects that make it great as a competitive game.

I'm bringing attention to this now in particular because of the sudden ease of play, as well as because I genuinely want to see this competitive scene thrive and grow. While in the past, if you wanted to play in a tournament, you had to live close to others who wanted to play in such a tourney, now, with the adoption of Dolphin's Netplay feature by the Star Fox: Assault competitive community, you can play with people cities away with minimal lag. I won't get into any technical details here; I just want to make people aware that this is now something anyone with a semi-decent PC can do.

This thread can also be used as a means for people on these forums to discuss aspects of the topic. If you decide that you'd like to get involved with the competitive community, or simply want to discuss the topic in more detail, then I highly recommend visiting the Star Fox: Assault community website:

http://sfacorner.forumotion.net/

Also, to give a glimpse of what playing the game competitively online is like, here's the first game in the first official Lylat Systems Netplay tournament:

• Like 1

I know I'm infamous for meme shitting on Assault, but I am legitimately curious - what makes Assault good for competitive? Are there any house/item rules? My faint memories of SFAs Mplayer was it was a pretty unbalanced zany party game, but eh :V Enlighten me!

I remember seeing a video on the forum where this user played this game with his friends. Apparently they play it competitively a lot. I'd like to join this competitive scene. I've been on the Melee competitive scene since 2007, but only won local tourneys and made it to semi-finals in a big tournament....

49 minutes ago, Robert Monroe said:

I know I'm infamous for meme shitting on Assault, but I am legitimately curious - what makes Assault good for competitive? Are there any house/item rules? My faint memories of SFAs Mplayer was it was a pretty unbalanced zany party game, but eh :V Enlighten me!

Well, Wolf and vehicles are banned in competitive. With them out of the picture, the game is based more heavily on how you position yourself, as well as the tactics you use.

As HAXage, one of the older players(he's been playing almost since the game was released) puts it: "A player who thinks more and makes the right decision every time will always beat one who just happens to spawn next to a big gun and doesn't know what they're doing, and since you can't be everywhere on the map instantaneously, you have to plan far ahead and come up with plans that can't be easily thwarted in a few minutes' time, so there's a lot of depth to the game, and it rewards skillful and wise play."

Here's a list of all the rules:

http://sfacorner.forumotion.net/t9-sfa-101-comprehensive-basic-post