More mature Star Fox?

"User"

Well, Mario is a uber ultra-seller, and it is not mature for a bit.

It's not as big of a seller in recent years I don't think then it used to be back in the day. I don't follow video games as much as I used to so correct me if I'm wrong but an easy majority of the best selling games in the past few years have been FPS at least in North America (COD and Halo series for example) This stuff sells quite well.

Well, something convenient to avoid blood in Starfox is that it mainly involves ships that don't bleed as dramatically as people when hit. Of course, you could get more details when it comes to "organic" boss damages, but well...

They say "darn" all the time (I guess this is a light version of "damn", right? Right? :P ). Ans they are practically never involved in hand-to-hand combat... The only "violence" you could have if you stay on these grounds is implied violence, like morally discutable choices or situations or a bit more of suggestive/crude talk. I believe the former would be more storyline-wise relevant than the latter though, but that'd need some character development to justify it though!

The extent of "darkness" in Starfox that should be PERMITTED is "saturday morning" levels. Fox can feel bad about his dad, Pigma can ponder the worth of a traitor, and Andross can be a sympathetic psychopath who wants to shoot the moon. Things like blood, swearing, excessive detailed violence, sex, FOX IM PREGNANT AND PANTHER/SLIPPY/ALIEN RAPE MONSTERS IS THE FATHER, and philosophy that would fly over most 16 year olds heads, should be left out.

Once again I agree.

Going back to Pokemon, It does have some dark stuff in it. (Cubone's backstory, N's Backstory,and some evil, evil people.), but it's still pretty family friendly.

The more Mature games seem to be more "Better Sellers."

So if SF did become "More Mature" I Believe it would be more popular.

Did you forget what happened to Shadow The Hedgehog a Sega and Sonic Team related game??? Adding a little mature language is what made people hate the game.

In my opinion, a game with mature material in it doesn't make the game more intresting. Its all about the gameplay. Storywise and Multiplayer wise. Honestly the new mature games that are becoming best sellers like Gears of war, halo, COD. They are becoming the best sellers not because of the mature material in the game, but its mainly because of the story gameplay and multiplayer gameplay that intrigues people and actually attracts them to the game itself. Honestly the extra Mature material in the game is just a little bonus for hardcore teen-adult gamers and it is added into the game to make the game a little bit more realistic at times.

Did you forget what happened to Shadow The Hedgehog a Sega and Sonic Team related game??? Adding a little mature language is what made people hate the game.

People hated the game not from language but from, Awful camera placement, Terrible controls, level design that was screwed, and No target lock so that shooting is completely useless if you can't hit the damn target!

If Starfox became more mature it would have more of a chance since Shadow The Hedgehog wasn't really aimed as a Mature character. And Sega would never make their prime character swear for he was made to be a 6-12 year old character. How as SF the character have more of a chance of a mature look.

i do think the game has its dark aspects, when the apariods invaded or in androsses layer, but these things being a little darker might not be such a bad idea...

People hated the game not from language but from, Awful camera placement, Terrible controls, level design that was screwed, and No target lock so that shooting is completely useless if you can't hit the damn target!

If Starfox became more mature it would have more of a chance since Shadow The Hedgehog wasn't really aimed as a Mature character. And Sega would never make their prime character swear for he was made to be a 6-12 year old character. How as SF the character have more of a chance of a mature look.

Okay I will give you the first point. However I still don't want this to be GrimDark for the sake of it like comics in the 90's.

http://tvtropes.org/...AgeOfComicBooks

Speaking of comics: that's a medium Which Star Fox has used before, and is being overlooked here.

The series has more or less been primarily gameplay driven as an arcade shooter. Comics have been used in the series's past for more complicated storytelling purposes. Granted, these comics have mainly been the lighthearted fare, but there's potential. Rather than immediately commit to a full-blown game in a "grittier", "edgier " tone that is being demanded, Nintendo could revive this old tradition of the Star Fox comics, and use it as the medium through which this storytelling experiment can be conducted.

That indeed would be an interesting way to allow some character development, non gameplay-constraint storyline and take the temperature in regard of future games releases... :)

It seemed like the obvious option, especially now since they've made official Legend of Zelda Manga and everything.

From a development standpoint, it allows the temperature to be taken like you said, and with only a small amount of initial investment; there's not much to lose.

From a marketing standpoint, if the comic/manga is successful on its own, it can easily help sell the game product.

Good idea!

I think it could be packaged in with the games, like "Beloved Falco"

A SF Comic/manga. A possible idea.

However there needs to be a reasonable story-line. Using lets say Adventures, It would be odd and confusing.

I always thought it might be a good idea to go back and retcon the series, by putting something in the past leading up to the war. A comic/manga would be a suitable way to do it.

Something like it.

To some extent, I'm already doing this through my magnum opus fanfic project, Star Fox: Legacy.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6476615/1/Star_Fox_Legacy

If I had any artistic ability whatsoever, I'd make a comic out of it in an instant.

21 posts an yuor all ready coming up with brilliant ideas, 2 thumbs up my friend

Thanks a bunch, I appreciate it. But really, since when has a forum user's postcount ever accurately reflected the merits of the user's ideas? It's just a number.

Exactly, look at your own post count Sky! :trollface:

(...

Just kidding huh! ;) )

Are people actually claiming that the reason Star Fox hasn't done well lately is because it isn't "dark enough", and not because the games just suck

because um

hell that's pretty self-explanatory isn't it

The thing is, blood and guts and swearing and TITTIES don't exactly equate to maturity. In fact the way the "hardcore gamer" demographic eats it up lends to the exact opposite. If someone finds a direct correlation between game sales and the degree of grimdarkness (and NOT other aspects of marketing) then please, let me know, but as it stands it looks like absolute bollocks. Look at some of, not only the most best-selling, but most memorable games of all time; Zelda, Pokemon, motherf'n PAC-MAN.

The disconnect with Star Fox, see, is occurring with the continually more recognized status of video games as an art; more is expected from them, and yes, perhaps "maturity" is an aspect of this. However, it is not the "maturity" you're thinking of, but rather the atmospheric and thematic value befitting a medium looking to gain artistic value. Meaning whether you're blowing up zombies or skipping through lollipop land, there must be a purpose. And there must be meaning.

Don Bluth said that children can handle pretty much anything so long as there's a happy ending, and he's a man responsible for some of the "darkest" children's films of all time. The Secret of NIMH, the Land Before Time, All Dogs Go to Heaven, etc. These films are dark because they deal with death and scary things, however--there is always a reason for these things to be incorporated.

If Star Fox wanted to take darker themes, then it can go ahead, but there is a line between more mature subject matter and seeing how many hundreds of Venomian soldiers you can reduce to a fine meat paste. There has always been more to the content and world than the generic FPS, so it would be disappointing to see it be reduced to such.

I would enjoy more comics; Farewell, Beloved Falco was one of my favourite installments of the series.

Thanks a bunch, I appreciate it. But really, since when has a forum user's postcount ever accurately reflected the merits of the user's ideas? It's just a number.

yes but generaly good ideas come along every hundreth to 50th post, you have had some nice ones and your only at 20.

Exactly, look at your own post count Sky! :trollface:

(...

Just kidding huh! ;) )

oh i'll get you for that, darn canadians with your darn trees

[...] darn canadians with your darn trees

I'm worse than canadian, I'm french! \o/

...The disconnect with Star Fox, see, is occurring with the continually more recognized status of video games as an art; more is expected from them, and yes, perhaps "maturity" is an aspect of this. However, it is not the "maturity" you're thinking of, but rather the atmospheric and thematic value befitting a medium looking to gain artistic value. Meaning whether you're blowing up zombies or skipping through lollipop land, there must be a purpose. And there must be meaning.

Don Bluth said that children can handle pretty much anything so long as there's a happy ending, and he's a man responsible for some of the "darkest" children's films of all time. The Secret of NIMH, the Land Before Time, All Dogs Go to Heaven, etc. These films are dark because they deal with death and scary things, however--there is always a reason for these things to be incorporated.

If Star Fox wanted to take darker themes, then it can go ahead, but there is a line between more mature subject matter and seeing how many hundreds of Venomian soldiers you can reduce to a fine meat paste. There has always been more to the content and world than the generic FPS, so it would be disappointing to see it be reduced to such.

This is exactly the point I try to get off about this series. Not blood guts and gore for its own sake; that's not maturity, that's vanity. There is potential here for a real story. It's the lack of someone in Nintendo with cahones enough to take it there is the issue. Failing that, there's always the fans. We do what we can.