The TF2 update and speculation thread

Guest Mr. N

C... Companion cube..? WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO YOU!?

ANOTHER update coming soon:

There is a bug causing all gameservers to report that they are “full”, preventing them from receiving matchmaking traffic.

It should be a small patch, and will be available in about an hour or so.

Nice way to screw that one up, Valve... :facepalm:

Game night will be delayed until this update drops..

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Source Engine Changes (TF2, DoD:S, HL2:DM)

• Fixed HTTP downloads on Mac not sending an HTTP referer

Team Fortress 2

• Updated materials/models for the Champ Stamp, King of Scotland Cape, Stovepipe Sniper Shako, and Freedom Staff
  • Fixed a server crash that could occur if a Spy was disguised holding the Gunslinger
  • Fixed the Lacking Moral Fiber Mask being tagged as a misc item instead of a hat
  • Fixed the Gunslinger not accepting "Sappers Removed" strange parts
  • Overhealed players that are bleeding or on fire can now pickup healthkits to remove these conditions
  • Added tf_dingalingaling_repeat_delay (default 0) which limits how often the dingalingaling sound can play
  • Removed outdated tip about the Spy's Enforcer
  • Updated the localization files
  • Vote system

• Allow kicking of connected players that haven't joined a team in Mann vs. Machine
    • Added sv_vote_issue_kick_spectators_mvm (default 0) which allows players to kick anyone that isn't team invaders, as long as they've passed the sv_vote_issue_kick_min_connect_time_mvm timer, if enabled

[*]Mann vs. Machine

• Added two new tours of duty, each with new unique loot:

[*]If a player connects to a MvM game through matchmaking and loses their connection, their spot will be held for a brief duration and they will be given a chance to reconnect

[*]After victory on a Mann Up server, the players will be put into a lobby together.

[*]Improved matchmaking searching status screen

[*]Mann vs. Machine balance changes:

• Operation Oil Spill, with 6 new intermediate skill missions
  • Operation Gear Grinder, with 3 new expert skill missions

• Explosive Headshots

• damage is now 150 regardless of upgrade level
    • damage is done in one tick instead of the previous six
    • added a slowing effect based on upgrade level (50%-80% slow, 2-4 second duration)
    • radius still scales with upgrade level (unchanged)

[*]Marked For Death duration reduced to 7 seconds from 15 seconds when the target is a giant robot

[*]Reduced the "effect bar recharge rate increased" upgrade from 20% increments with an 80% cap to 15% increments with a 60% cap

Strange part: engies killed

Strange part: robots destroyed

Strange part: kills while low health

The Surgeon's Stahlhelm

Furious Fukaamigasa

WHERE IS MY STRANGE PART: PYROS KILLED?!
  • Like 1

So, the boss this year is

Merasmus himself.

Now we need to figure out which map is getting Halloweenified. I have always wondered what a Payload map would be like with a boss, and that last frame reminds me of Thunder Mountain...

inb4 boofort

• Like 1

Is it me, or the spy has a skull for a face at the top of the page...

And I had hoped they'd do something related to MvM for Halloween, but oh well.

Well, wave 666 is pretty much MvM related, and it works for me :D

( I wonder how Gray Mann ended up with a carrier full of zombies. It could make a good comic ! )

And yeah I'm glad they made the gifts private. Last year it got pretty bad..

And do anybody knows how long those "magic spells" will last ? Its not mentionned if its permanent or only for the duration of the events.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not an "update" but I thought some TF2 players here may like to know about this.

http://www.reddit.com/r/tf2/comments/13xdgi/psa_too_many_damage_numbers_when_playing_pyro_or/

Very useful, really.

- Cosmetic items purchased in the store moving forward can be used in crafting

This is so going to screw traders over. Goodbye TF2 economy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well that means just one thing. Anyone got a Soldier's Stash they'd be willing to part with? Always liked that hat and want one to keep around for when I'd want to wear it, if I really get back into TF2.

• 2 months later...

2 months bump, but I believe it's fine due to the nature of this thread. Right?

New update and possible mysteries incoming:

http://www.reddit.com/r/tf2/comments/1a6k8o/tf2_update_for_31213_31313_utc/

Crate 50 is amazing, but what I find more interesting are the stranges in crates 56 and 57.

Psy_Commando will be a happy camper once he gets his hands on a strange BB. :D

Strange Frying Pans, possible changes to Pyromania stuff (the secret diary or something), and apparently Poker Night at the Inventory 2. Some new items have shown up with a prefix of pn2_

Could be pretty cool.

I'll try to regularly update this thread now, since N is gone and no one has taken his job. :-P

• Like 1

Star of this update is the newly unlocked Portal 2 Box. Ap-Sap is amazing. I'm a Pyro main, I can't Spy to save my life, but I NEED one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkySYcWgtKk

It has THIRTEEN MINUTES of voicelines. Pulling it out and putting it away, end of round win/loss, taking damage, etc.

I normally hate promos with a fiery passion but I can let this one slide.

• Like 1

Crate #56:

• Strange Fire Ax
  • Strange Flying Guillotine
  • Strange The Beggar's Bazooka
  • Strange Part: Medics Killed
  • Strange Part: Tanks Destroyed
  • Strange Part: Long-Distance Kills
  • Western Wear
  • Modest Pile of Hat

Psy_Commando will be a happy camper once he gets his hands on a strange BB.

panic.gif.pagespeed.ce.IFeUW3Vimt.gif

Been waiting 7 months for that ! :D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

On April 30th Team Fortress 2 will be upgrading to Steam's new content distribution method called SteamPipe.

This brings in a lot of changes, but it's all supposed to be for the best. Map load times are apparently noticeably faster, no more verifying cache all the time, etc.

You can currently opt-in to the beta and get it rolling yourself already, but apparently a lot of SourceMod Anti-Cheat-enabled servers are auto-banning people using the SteamPipe beta, as it thinks they're using a cheat of some kind.

So.. I'm making this post just to remind DZ to look into this if he hasn't already, and to warn everyone else about possibly being banned from servers using SMAC.

I'd say not to opt-in to the beta until most of your favorite servers update to the new system.

And you'll also want to backup maps, configs, HUDs, etc, if you do opt-in to the beta, just to be on the safe side. (Apparently you shouldn't lose them, but I'm going to backup this stuff anyway just to be safe)

More info can be found here: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7388-QPFN-2491

• Like 1

We don't use SMAC. I had thought about using it, but it seemed too much trouble to set up.

... no more verifying cache all the time, etc...

Ra7Qzd4.jpg

Though, I heard it might make content harder to mount in other games..

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

As you wish.