Kerbal Space Program

Ori

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CyTxsQhyqMA

KSPimage01_t.jpgKSPimage11_t.jpgKSPimage12_t.jpg

KSPimage08_t.jpgKSPimage05_t.jpgKSPimage07_t.jpg

Kerbal Space Program

Kerbal Space Program is a multi-genre game where the players create their own space program.

In KSP, you must build a space-worthy craft, capable of flying its crew out into space, without killing them. At your disposal is a collection of parts, which must be assembled to create a functional ship. Each part has its own function and will affect the way a ship flies (or doesn't). So strap yourself in, and get ready to try some Rocket Science!

The game is something I used to have tons of fun back in the free Alpha. (Actually planning to buy the retail version soon.) Like the site states, trial-and-failure tests until you build your first spacecraft, and manage to put it into orbit and beyond. (Now getting it back down is a different issue)

In the game you are in charge of making the spacecraft for these little guys, the Kerbals, and all that in a simple-yet-fun way in a similar fashion to the SPORE creators: Click and drag, mess around and hope it works.

The best of it all, you don't need to be a real astrophysicist to play; It's all about testing and fun. (Though, if you're familiarized with space flight, it will make things easier. :-P)

O-F Member's comments:

DiogoM:

Just played it, and it's great. Nice job! good.gif

Woo482:

This is really fun to play with! Though my first flight wasn't very successfullol.gif

Face:

This is really a great and addictive game. My hat is off, HarvesteR.

Kevin580:

That's ultimative fun!!! lol.gif I love it!

Jarvitä:

I love this, it's a real challenge, like playing Orbiter with just the surface display.

Mojoey:

To you Harv, and the whole KSP team, you guys do a damn good job, keep it up.

The demo is free for everyone, while the retail version is USD $23,00.

I highly recommend this game. For me, it's that mix between learning and crazy fun. :-P

Well, actually I've seen that while searching for 'kerbal'. And yes, it's from 2011, so it's not exactly usable. :-P And everybody hates thread necromancy.

(And do I detect a mention of my name before I joined? TIME PARADOX!!!)

Also, a lot changed from that time until now. It's now possible to even build space stations, according to the changelog of the latest update. So it's better just to create a new thread instead.

Good to know people already heard of it here, though. :-)

Also, have some screenshots I had in my Steam:

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/576700870331217367/DF296F9D1F37A87D5A4BFEC8D1E84301C5955ACE/

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/576700870354123343/B8914FEFF49131879B83A0E59488D682F993FDB5/

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/576700870330362424/B78E475BB9DCA0084AFBE401E51CFA392F944874/

In school, a bunch of students have this game downloaded on the computers... where they purposely build the dumbest/most outrageous ships possible in order to see how big their explosions can be.

Jebidiah is best Kerbal.

Just something I forgot to mention, there's still available mods for the 0.13.3 free version at http://www.kspyard.com/

I found the parts for the ships in the screenshots in there, so I think it might be useful for others. A few of them have some very overkill stats, though. :P

Hell yes. This is a game I boot up every few weeks, try to build a serious interplanetary craft, and end up slamming it into random stuff. This is a game where 'losing' is fun, in fact, almost the only way to learn without course correction mods like Mechjeb (which is for pussies and people actually taking the game seriously). The sheer amount of stuff you can do in this game is pretty amazing.

Since the Alpha they've added a boatload of stuff. Namely, a bunch of planets that you can 'land' (get horribly killed) on if you're like me, or if you like, actually land on, which involves thinking. I am not good at that. I like to pretend that I'm constantly launching nukes at all the other planets in the system whenever I keep blasting into them at 2000 metres per second. It makes failure feel like success. Also, a bunch of parts to build new zany contraptions with that you will crash into stuff. Space planes, for one, which is a blast to fly when you're upside down, careening towards the ground faster than a speeding bullet, all because you forgot to attach another aerofoil, or as I like to say, 'demonstrated proper Kerban engineering.' You will learn pretty fast that Kerbals do not care about engineering, or plans, or thinking.

At twenty bucks or so it's definitely worth the investment to be allowed to build giant space dildos to ram into unsuspecting planetary bodies. As it's still being developed, you can expect a lot more crazy stuff to be added in the future, like a career mode, where I guess you earn money for every time you creatively murder your astronauts off-world so you can buy more parts to facilitate even more creative murder. That or you can just send your astronauts speeding off into interstellar space, never to return, or try to plunge them into the sun. I remember back in Alpha that produced some pretty interesting results, like suddenly accelerating you to about half the speed of light.

In this game, space is the last frontier to blow stuff up in, crash into, and break.

• Like 1

I have had the retail version of KSP for about three weeks now and I love it. I can still barely get into orbit, and many brave Kerbals (R.I.P Jeb) have died in the process. Once I get the hang of it, I have all sorts of ridiculous fantasies of building orbital fuel depots, space stations, Mun bases, interplanetary spacecraft and so forth. It really is a crazy awesome game, any space enthusiast should have it. I can only imagine how incredible multiplayer would be in this.

Yes! I remember my cousin showing me this game. Great idea and pretty awesome when it comes to actually trying out your ideas. Do they work? Or did you just miserably fail? There are quite a few small quirks about the game that make it cool too, like the alien chatheads you can see the corner. Their facial expressions change according to how your flight goes. So if you're crash-landing, they'll have a pretty scared face on.