Steam Family "Sharing"

Ori

I'm sure some of you may already have read about it, but Steam announced the ability of sharing games you have bought on authorized machines for other users.

http://store.steampowered.com/sharing

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/familysharing

Note the blatant catch though:

CAN A FRIEND AND I SHARE A LIBRARY AND BOTH PLAY AT THE SAME TIME?

No, a shared library may only be accessed by one user at a time.

Well, there goes that gameplay of Portal 2 with my siblings, and any playing together honestly. He actually already played it, but, well, that cut the fun from me actually playing the thing and realizing what I would do to get achievements, items, etc. Plus it obviously will void the chance of making my siblings' accounts to 'Full-privilege' accounts (I.E. Adding friends, joining groups, trading repeated/unneeded/unwanted items between users). I'm unsure whether if Valve is just being a complete ass out of themselves or if this is a joke this will have any effect, at all. I mean, I doubt all gamers have the financial acquisition power to buy multiple copies of the same thing, and even if they do have, they don't buy a second/third/fourth copy because, honestly, that's really stupid.

There is even a petition requiring an overhaul on the proposal.

What Steam users on SF-O think about this whole thing?

That being said, Valve I am disappoint. Again.

It's a thoughtful feature but not something I could say I would really use. My BF has about 432432890 more games than I do, but I just use his account.

I guess compared to what Valve could have done, which is absolutely nothing and not condone sharing purchased games, this is a great move for game sharing.  It seems to me a fair means of letting people play games that others own just as you would in real life by asking to borrow it for a time being. 

If there's a game both me and my brother want, we wait until it's at its cheapest since we tend to be using Steam at the same time. I like my TF2 and Super Hexagon as much as he loves his games, so I don't think it's fair to hog his library.

The feature is cool, but I'd rather leave my brother's library alone. I don't really care for it that much.

Yeah I'm not sure about your train of thought about not liking it because you can't play a game at the same time as someone else.  Who honestly expected that to happen?  I mean, if you want to play multiplayer so badly, you can get it on sale.  Portal 2 goes on sale almost every month.  Valve aren't being asses, they're giving you a way to let other people play your games.  I probably won't use the feature a lot unless I want a friend to try a game of mine before he buys it so we can play multiplayer.  

Yeah I'm not sure about your train of thought about not liking it because you can't play a game at the same time as someone else.  Who honestly expected that to happen?  I mean, if you want to play multiplayer so badly, you can get it on sale.  Portal 2 goes on sale almost every month.  Valve aren't being asses, they're giving you a way to let other people play your games.  I probably won't use the feature a lot unless I want a friend to try a game of mine before he buys it so we can play multiplayer.  

Kage you have like, a million billion games. Just whore your account out to the highest bidder every month.

• Like 1