SFO's Lasting Effects on Me

LoneWolf

I too share The LoneWolf's sentiment. All I have to do is think about all the stuff that has happened to me between when I first joined up and when I joined here, and suddenly that 3 year timelapse is a huge sequence of events each one had it's own part in me being the person I am today. I'm sure a lot of it can be chalked up to developing mental years, but I could make any number of comparisons to this site and how it's affected my path.

It just goes to show how something as simple as a website about a game series you no longer care about can have a community affect on you the same as anything else.

• Like 2

I think we all know I've come some distance from the rage-a-holic I used to be when I first arrived here

....now I've by no means fully stopped with the nerd rage (doing my best here guys)  but I'm at least better than before, It's shown through in my personal life as well

My point being, yeah, such a diverse community as friendly as this one is a rare thing on the internet, and its freaking awesome to be here with you all, even if it is just to play games and talk about a nintendo series!

In general, through community temperament, I'm a helluvalot more calm than I used to be, and I attribute that towards community exposure so... thanks guys!

without being a complete vacant dumbass.

err..... Not 100% on that bro

:troll:

• Like 2

Recently I realized, or at least, re-realized, that this site, more than any other, has shaped me as a human being. I've learned to interact and converse with others without being a complete vacant dumbass. I've learned how to write cohesively and when to hold my tongue. I've learned how to be funny and how to enjoy humor from others, and while I'm still learning, I've come a long way.

I realize that this was a sort of socialization that I can't get elsewhere. Usually children are socialized entirely by their peers at school or their family, leading to a more closed-minded individual. However here, I get a variety of cultures and ideas that has helped to round me off as a more tolerant individual. SFO is a community of fresh minds and various age groups, which has led me to mature in a way that is unique from the standards of a cookie cutter society. SFO has helped me to come out of my shell and find who I am.

That part nails it, I think.

I've never really had too many local friends, but I've been on forums and such for a while, and I'm extremely happy with the kind of person I've become, for now. And even though I'll grow into someone else as the years keep going by, I'll definitely try to make sure it's someone I'm pleased with.

• Like 1

On behalf of the rest of SF-O;

happy-oh-stop-it-you.png

----------

I share your sentiments. SF-O is not just a website centered around a particular video game franchise, rather it is a gateway into the realm of different walks of life, perspectives, viewpoints, and the list goes on. Though I'll be the first to admit that I still have a bit to master concerning efficient and effective expression, SF-O and its users have impacted me for the better in that regard. 

Also, shall we take the time to thank DZ for this place's upkeep? :P

• Like 2

I first joined when I was stupid and new to the internet. I didn't game as much and only visited the most mainstream of websites. And when I look through my non-orange posts, I cringe at what I posted. I cringe with the force of 5,000 suns. 

You all have changed me and made my friends list enlarge, mostly with people whom I met on SF-O right here. I can say something about most of you that contributed to my life. I can start with you Lonewolf, who got me hooked on EDM music three years ago with that video of Hardwell in Miami. I still have the vid. I'd say without you I would have never tried DJing in the first place. 

You all turned me into ... this. Whatever this might be. I very mush enjoy being this. That started here, in this home. It may not have conventional floors or walls, heat or water, but there sure as hell a family living here. And I'm sure I'm not the only one saying this but this is one damn great family we got here. Because in this home, none of us leave are dirty clothes in the restroom or take up too much space in the garage.

• Like 6

Also, shall we take the time to thank DZ for this place's upkeep? :-P

Yeah. Mad greetings to DZ for keeping this place alive. You keep this place alive, and have, by proxy, been an influence on all of us. You put up with hella shit and you support the site out of pocket. You're a special degree of person.

You go girl.

Also startling response to this thread holy hell. Glad I'm not the only one to feel this way.

• Like 4

Also startling response to this thread holy hell. Glad I'm not the only one to feel this way.

We are a community. Pure and true.

and that's Fucking awesome, I'd take a bullet for any one of you

cept maybe AJC...

• Like 1

i don't know i have found that prolonged exposure to SFO has slightly diminished my ability to absorb magnesium :c

• Like 1

i don't know i have found that prolonged exposure to SFO has slightly diminished my ability to absorb magnesium :c

It also has been noted to both increase the need for O2 and reduce body tissue density when in contact with high-velocity lead. So...

I'd take a bullet for any one of you

cept maybe AJC...  <-- Scourge's secret revealed

• Like 2

I'd take a bullet for any one of you.

I second that. I'll even take one for AJC.

Although I may not have been here long, I do feel a slight change in who I was when I joined. It feels...like I know everyone somehow.

• Like 2

I second that. I'll even take one for AJC.

Although I may not have been here long, I do feel a slight change in who I was when I joined. It feels...like I know everyone somehow.

Welcome to the club buddy

*ruffles hair*

• Like 2

I've always found it interesting for myself, that I jumped into a well-established community where members already had multiple years logged on it. Yet I was persistent on fitting my way into the community. I have heard from people who haven't posted here too that this place has influenced their views, particularly that of the internet.

For me, this community came as a step up from the last community I frequented (RSC) in size, mamagement, and activity. But it was still small!

Things Hidi has done as a result of SF-O;

• Got Steam (Might have done it eventually, but months later without SF-O.)
  • Played TF2 (Similar to above since I had friends into it..)
  • Frequented a TF2 server
  • Learned better ways of trolling
  • Felt pride in wearing a tag on Steam (-=SF-O=-)
Sentimental moment, guys. *sniff*

I don't want to think of what I'll be like if I manage to log four active years here.

• Like 2

What an adorable topic and such wonderful insights in to all your experiences here. Thank you, everyone, for sharing this! This is most heartwarming! ^_^

I myself have been shaped a little from my experiences here. It's happened in phases too.

First off, I was a member, freshly registered. I registered in order to actually hang out with my little sister online, as I lived away from home at university and missed her lots. Slowly, I became part of the community, RP'd, goofed off in the Rec Room, started making friends. It was really nice and I was accepted into the forums straight away.

Then I became a mod, and had things to do which sort of changed my role here. I had to kind of restrain my goofing off sometimes because before, my silliness was perhaps a little borderline. :-P

Now I'm admin and I guess I'm a little scary to people because of my responsibilities. That also means I can't favour anyone and have to make sure everything's in order, and I must admit, my connections with some have thinned significantly. But I'm still trying to be active in the community and goof off when I can. I love being silly. xD

However there is one thing that SFO and some of the people I met here gave me, that changed my life. I never usually talk about this but I think that this is pretty interesting insight, since not too many people know me outside this forum. I learned how to defend myself and to carry myself in a stronger way, and because of this, I got myself out of a horrible, trapping relationship. I actually stood up for myself and I saved myself from a toxic, damaging, twisted person. There were days I felt like shit, I literally felt like a piece of shit because I was treated as such. Then I'd log in here and just spend my time reading posts, writing to people, PMing people, communicating with people, and it made those days bearable. I had nothing else, I always retreated to the internet in those days. I'll say no more because SFO is not the place. But for this, I'm always thankful.

I wish there was a way I could provide to the community here, the same backbone, open-mindedness and support that was gifted to me before. Maybe that's why I'm like, the mother hen here at times, when I have the chance.

I also met my current partner here, R3dFiVe. Now I live with him, I moved to a whole new country for someone from SFO. Imagine that.

So thank you, DZ, for keeping this site up and running and sharing with us your hard-earned money. But also, thank you to Steve and the mods, for being here and giving your time and energy to keep things in order.

And a huge, heartfelt thank you to the members of the community here. Every single one. Whether you're a quiet member, a lurker, an active member, a chat-room dweller, an RP-er, doesn't matter. Thank you so much for coming here and choosing SFO as your hang out. All qualms aside, run ins with staff aside, thank you for being here with us. :-)

• Like 5

My turn to join the smushiness that this is.

I'm afraid to look back at the erratic mess I was before. Posting on the Pub just for shits and giggles and just arguing for the sake of yes. I'm surprised the likes of Dras and Steve don't hate me right now... I could've been just another Sabre you could've banned...

You taught me a lot of how to handle myself in the deep, dark Internet world. You showed me a lot of different and amazign cultures and mindsets, made great friends all around, helps me develop my creative side and just fun all around. RPs arent' common, but boy they proved fun with great people like High and Chaos_Leader

SFO also helps me in the technical sense. Is a great way to develop English writing and reading, which I'll need if I want a much desired shot in the US. I feel they both are part of my better half of the four basic skills (Read, Write, Speak and Listen). I even tried to attempt for the Star Fox voice anting thing (didn't take off for issues with the program needed). Before, I would've never in a million years even think about it. My voice is flat out terrible (for me) for a lot of physical reasons. Now I don't feel that way about it in English. 

Thanks for all. You helped to form me, you gave me an outlet, you improved me, and overall, you're amazing. All of you.

• Like 2

I'm an annoying, whiny, loud, and self centered jackass. I've known about a number of these traits for a while, but it was really when I started hanging out with y'all that I was able to realize the full extent of it.

I'm not completely without those traits now, no way in hell I am even remotely... but you all here at SF-O have helped me to realize I need to improve, and in some cases have helped me improve. For that, I thank each and every one of you.

• Like 4

Really, the community is the core of this site right now. Site content is lacking and disorganized. I have plans to change that once IPB 4 comes out, but of course the community is the main reason why I keep this place running.

• Like 5

Really, the community is the core of this site right now. Site content is lacking and disorganized. I have plans to change that once IPB 4 comes out, but of course the community is the main reason why I keep this place running.

And we love you for that!

• Like 2

I've changed definitly since I first joined... And the world has changed remarkably too...

I remember one of the first topics I posted was how I thought general pepper looked like qadaffi in his younger days.... now qadaffi is dead...

• Like 1

I can't really say this place has changed me all that much, but I did meet my three best friends here (you guys know who you are) so there's that.

• Like 1

I'll be honest, SFO wasn't the regular backwater forum for me so far. Met quite the amount of people. Honed my english ability. Got (partially o3o) rid of my social disability. Stopped being the brat I used to be. Hell I was annoying.

And dumb. Doesn't matter. o3o

'cept I still have that in me. I'm trying my best alright? o3o

SFO also was good to teach me a better sense of a 'tight-knit community', in the words of one of you guys. It seems everybody here knows each other. Then again, it's not a big community either. But that's one of the reasons I like SFO. It makes people actually easy to find.

Also became utterly and hopelessly enthralled within the milder side of the anthro fanbase, but that's not as noteworthy. :-P

One thing you guys have yet to fix on me is that I'm not really that good on dealing with these things of soft feelings and stuff like expressing how I feel about SFO right now... But SFO has a special place in my heart, I can tell you guys that much.

So you can be sure you'll be seeing me around. Y'know, pretty much forever to pester you with my nonsense and unwittiness. o3o

• Like 1

I'll be frank, I was avoiding answering this topic. The question begs a huge answer that might be a little taxing on my part. I also was a little offended....

Not unlike many of you, yes i came to the site as a less mature person than the one i am now. What, its been four years now? I obviously would have matured anyhow. Sfo wasn't signifcant in how it forced me to mature, its importance was how it matured me. Speaking with kind people from away places was good for my eye opening as a young man, yes. But when it comes down to it, its the hard times, the people i didn't see eye to eye with, and the conflicts that insued that shaped me the most. As envious as we all might feel about hearing how the generations before us grew up in small town X , where everyday everyone woke up and worshiped X, we live in a world of increasing gloabilzation as being able to glmipse out of my small pool was invaluable.

I hate to bring up the counter-point but thats were my biggest lessons were learned. Despite being a hell hole, mostly due to my efforts, a lot of very pertinent, very real world informtion was transpired through there. Even more interestingly, I saw people come out and support things i had never seen or thought people to adovcate for before. As a 7th grader who saw the world as black and white i got into conflicts with those individuals who differed with me simply because they did. In respect to my belifes i can't say a whole lot has changed. But what did was my attitude toward others, and new things.

But wait, i'm not done. It might be vain, and maybe an almost idealistic view of myself in regardess to sfo but i really see myself as the manifestation of growing up on SFO. Sure we all came to SFO and eventually became different people. But for me SFO shapped my fundamental character and personal identiy before i had ever owned one. Not to de-value Redeemer's own experince, but she was an adult with a character and habits and a life style before SFO. She's changed yes. But for me? SFO may as well have given birth to me. Before i slighty resembled what some might call a conciousness. As crazy as you all think me to be, SFO came about to shape me at the same time in life were i was actually becoming a person. And because of of that i feel that SFO IS part of me. Like a father or mother.  

That all having been addressed you guys are late to the party. My journal serves as a testiment to SFO's central importance in the person i am today, and probably who i'll be tomorrow. Maybe i never came out and said it, but i feel like this topic is really just questioning if anyone else is feeling like SFO is important to who they are: somthing that i have felt so strongly, and for so long that i never even assumed to question it as to weather it was true or false. Its blantently obvious to me. 

Now this was written late at night. And, only to spawn more error, was written from the steam browser. So needless to say it may seem a little abstract.