My Star Fox Zero Thoughts

AlGore'sleftshoe

Now, as far as the gameplay looks, I like how fluent it looks, they gave a friendly nod to the cancelled StarFox 2 *again, the best StarFox game that nEVER came out* which filled my heart with sunshine and rainbows, but it was all blown away by the fact the slow-flying dog fighting, and ever slow rail shooting STILL looks like SF643D, I wanted something that would make the dog fighting in Assault look like Bosconian, something similar to StarWars BattleFront II, with the same fluid control Assault had, but have the Arwings go faster, go straight up and down at 90 degree angles like in, again BattleFront II, yet still keep the same barrel roll capability, and somersault, they could still have the roll with the right control stick. The Dog fighting seems to handle in the same fashion as Assault/643D multiplayer which is...AT LEAST better than SF2 and SF64 where I'm basically flying a hovercraft or snow speeder in outer space, where you aren't even actually flying.

as for the walking capability, it looks just as good as StarFox 2, and some of the layouts look similar to the LandMaster layouts in Assault. the LandMaster transformer looks pretty cool too...unfortunately it isn't the arena-style LandMaster in Assault that was actually good, being able to rover around freely and fluently, instead its the one with the gas peddal-duck-taped-to-the-floor crap again from 64 and the all-range multiplayer. it got annoying.

"StarFox Zero is not a part 4 *Sequel to Assault*, not a part 5 *sequel to Command*, not a reboot, but a reimagining." Ugghh, could be worse.

AND JUST LIKE HOW I HAD CALLED IT BEFORE:....Krystal's gone, she's just another Miyu/Fey/Fara now. her fate in being vanished is the same fate as Boba Fett when the evil Disney erased the EU from the StarWars canon. why do powerful entertainment companies who try to claim innocents persistently get rid of fan-favorite characters? VERY dissappointed by that. didn't Nintendo claim to be trying to have more playable females?

I wanted to see something not seen before, a StarFox game that blows everything else away, instead it feels too much like 643D, even the E3 VA was copied from 643D which is a stain in my memory. I hated 643D only slightly less than god awful Command. they got Majora's Mask AND Ocarina of Time 3D right, what the hell!?

Assault and 64 stand on equal grounds to me, and the ambitious SF2 on a higher ground, I want a game that makes all that look like Galaga, a space shooter/space battle sim that can compete, and the fact that there's no online multiplayer isn't helping.

....is there even a storyline? that won't fly anymore, Nintendo.

what I think they should have done:

Have a few rail-shooting sequences that familiarize with SNES, and are FAST, not walking speed like Assault and 64. dog fighting with a wide range of flight ability like in Assault, but with better Ai, all teammates are engaged in combat, instead of all ganging up on Fox. have an online multiplayer, coop, and maybe a StarWolf mode. have 5v5 battle for main game dogfight with Fox, Falco, Krystal, Slippy and Peppy vs. Wolf, Leon, Panther, Andrew and Pigma. would have been excellent. While they are nodding towards SF2, they should have had Miyu and Fey at least as side characters on a few missions. THE LEAST they could do was that, instead nope.

In addition, include the Assault LandMaster that transforms into the heavy aircraft, I still also like the gyrocopter as well so that's a keeper. there should actually be a story as well, not "Ok guys, next mission let's go. whee!!" crap.

I GUESS since its a reimagining it might not effect current canon any, or they might have the other characters appear in the future, or since the game is still incomplete they might add them in later, but seeing the official art I don't think so.

• Like 1

While I agree with you on many points I think part of this reimaging is to get some of the more common SF fans back. Command did what I called the Split which seperated people who stuck with the series and those who were up and down about it. I think one of the major points is to kind of say "hey were trying to appeal to the fans of the normal games again please come back". I mainly play Star Fox for its arcade style shoot em up, I do agree also on to have some nice fast paced levels (this is why I  am a huge fan of Area 6 in SF64) to keep things interesting.

I don't know what to tell ya, bub. Chances are this games pisses off someone in some way. On the other hand its a new SF game, yet some part of me wishes they honored the previous fan favorited characters of the past.

Thats how the ball bounces :\

....is there even a storyline? that won't fly anymore, Nintendo.

Unlike Adventures to Command, which were top-notch games that never had mixed receptions at best and had close or higher sales.

Unlike Adventures to Command, which were top-notch games that never had mixed receptions at best and had close or higher sales.

I'm glad we got a reboot, but Zero should have started where 64DS ended.

Adventures... actually was a really entertaining game, but Command had BAD sales, BAD ratings, AND BAD fan reception.

Also it ISN'T a reboot, its a reimagining, so it doesn't effect Assault-Command. as Miyamoto mentioned "it isn't a reboot, it isn't a part 4 (sequel to Assault) it isn't a part 5 (Sequel to Command) also I was REALLY dissapointed by 643D, and prefer to blot it from memory.

It's a reboot. There is no practical difference between a reboot and a reimagining. Do you seriously expect the developers to hamstring themselves with Adentures to Command? 

hamstring? I don't think so. If anything the problem is disparity of content from previous titles, in terms of explaining background or lore. It honestly would be a great time to flesh the game out with a more in depth look at the characters. And if they don't do it now, they'll have to later. Command and adventures and assault all tried to hard to make of something of which there wasn't much to begin with. Fox's position with a dead father and a conflicting love interest/ loyalty to the squad make for potentially great plots. But you have to go deeper than were the other games have. Just how they'll integrate that into a classic rail shooter i don't know. but it isn't my job either.

they did release Command on WiiU VC for some idiotic reason. it's like they're mocking the series. Assault reflects what the game should be, but it still doesn't cut it. I think they should have gone a lot further, FURTHER drawing away from the cartoony aspect into a more serious tone. Assault was further from cartoony than 64, but not really enough at all, some parts of that game felt awkward, at least in 64 it felt ok for it to be stupid.

I don't think they should go toward the rail shooting concept much anymore, even since 64 that was niche.

There is A LOT to pull from to make a more plot-depth extravagant storyline. There is TONS of trivial information throughout the StarFox universe to use as ingredients for a better story.

For example: I think they could have a lot more to Andross's great former empire than just having masses of enemies, perhaps a few of the planet systems near Venom pulled together and started a new alliance to fight back Corneria. Why did Andross turn himself into a space-head? when I look at him like that, considering he was a scientist who worked for the Cornerian Military, they could explain more what his motives were.

what caused Andross to be banished: he created a form of biomechanical warfare known as "Aparoids" they weren't evolved to the point to where they were in Assault, but still enough to become self-aware and turn on their masters, they broke out and reeked havoc all over the Lylat System, Fox would have been a lad at this point. Once it was stopped "Or so they thought..." Andross went on and began building his empire. Meanwhile an anti-body of Aparoids drifted off into space, gradually rebuilding a new hive that would return 17 years in the future. than comes the point where James and his team are to investigate Venom, after a chaotic battle that Pigma turns out to be for Venom, Peppy escapes, and then they thought they killed James, but it could turn out that he escaped and fled, later being captured and consumed by the Aparoids which could explain how he appeared during the Aparoid Queen boss fight. Then of course he is presumed dead.

Meanwhile Andross a few years after that returns and starts the Lylat war. I think they should make SNES-2-64-and so on all part of the same canon. the team StarFox lead by Fox goes on to defeat Venom, then the events of Adventures, then Assault comes around, A Venomian insurrection is started and lead by Andrew, Team StarWolf also start their own enterprise. Then the Aparoids show up; team StarFox defeats them.

Then Command, Dash Bowman becomes Space Monkey Hitler and starts a NEW Venom, united by a few other small-governments, as it said somewhere in the credits of Assault that several planets have no choice but to start small governing parties while Corneria is being rebuilt.

Meanwhile, Dash begins to go back into some of Andross's secret research: in SNES 1 and 2, he appeared to be in a machine, than perhaps through experiments attempted to achieve a status of existence similar to some of the celestial beings in the StarFox Universe, he's morphed into what he was in 64.

Andross was perhaps studying the mysterious super natural/celestial beings throughout the Lylat System: There's the Krazoa spirits from Adventures, there's that bird that appears in Meteo in SNES, there's the space whale from the comics that appears during warps. Would if they were once simple beings like the people that populate the Lylat System today, but evolved to a higher status of existence. It could also turn out that Cerenia; being full of mystical psychics like Krystal who actually had a connection to these beings, being destroyed mysteriously were actually destroyed by Andross and his forces to prevent them from threatening his take over of the Lylat System, Krystal is the lone survivor and becomes a major plot player being able to connect to these celestial beings.

It could pretty much piece together the whole series, give Krystal and other characters greater depth, make for an interesting storyline, from pieces pulled together from all that, just an idea.

I don't think they should go toward the rail shooting concept much anymore, even since 64 that was niche.

What's wrong with niche genres?  Why be just another cut-rate clone of Halo or Ratchet & Clank when it could be the king of an underused genre.

What's wrong with niche genres?  Why be just another cut-rate clone of Halo or Ratchet & Clank when it could be the king of an underused genre.

I think StarFox 2 and Assault had the best concepts in the series. I like the idea of keeping the rail shooting as a minor thing, it got really annoying, predictable and repetitive a lot of the time, SNES and 64 have REALLY aged because of that, Assault ofcourse has aged pretty bad too. the only games that really hold up decently were surprisingly Adventures, ONLY because it still has excellent visuals, and its an adventure game done fairly well, enough to hold up as an almost modern game, even though I resent the storyline of that game and strongly prefer the original plot it had as Dinosaur Planet and not as a scribbled over StarFox game, and StarFox 2, held up well despite its visual limitations being one of the first truly 3d games in history.

StarFox 2 and Assault have the concept of sorta like a space battle sim; especially on All-range mode in Assault, those were some of the best parts in the StarFox series to me, it really felt like I was in a chaotic space battle especially when I was younger. But I still see that the Ai is meh, but the handling was utterly amazing, plus it is the only time where the Arwing is truly flying, not just hovering like a SnowSpeeder from StarWars. SF2 introduced the dogfighting concept to the series, although the Ai was crap in that game, it still managed to be sort've a challenge. plus I loved the enemy battleships that bared a striking resemblence to an Imperial Star Destroyer.

Yes, I know StarFox in general, any game that has rail shooting sequences, SNES, 64 and Assault ALL have rail shooting sequences that are far more intense and all around better than any other rail shooting sequence you can find in any other game, but I think the all-range in StarFox is FAR more defining for the series than the rail shooting, all-range seen in SF2, Assault, some of 64, especially just feels a lot more fluid than most dogfighting in games. even StarWars Rogue Squadron, SW BattleFront, or Halo Reach feels clunky and clumsy compared to any dogfight in Assault. I also really want to see the LandMaster like it was in Assault, but also being able to transform into a heavy aircraft, and the Arwing-to-walker like in SF2.

But SF Zero has made a lot of critical errors that really let me down, not in the magnitude that Command or 643D did, but 3 let downs in a row kinda kills my has-been love for the series. 

Sorry about my crap spelling and softly returned reply, I'm busy and tired.

Edited by AlGore'sleftshoe

I also really want to see the LandMaster like it was in Assault, but also being able to transform into a heavy aircraft, and the Arwing-to-walker like in SF2.

Come again?  Did the LandMaster not transform into an aircraft  @ 00:54?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puvW4NmaiOo

My biggest complaint about SFZ is some of the Cast sport a really thick American accent which kind of sounds a little strange to non-American English speakers (no offense to anyone).  This is not really evident in the E3 trailer as in the Corneria level previews elsewhere on YT.

Why can't the voice actors speak in a "Hollywood English" accent which is universally "understood" across the globe?  I find it kind of funny that they want to ride in on the coattail of SW Episode VII by releasing SFZ this X-mas.  But the (new) Cast of Ep VII are mostly British English speakers...

Btw, I consider Harrison Ford to be a prime example of "Hollywood English".  Even though he is an American, his on-screen English accent is easily understood throughout the world.

Edited by hirobo2

Come again?  Did the LandMaster not transform into an aircraft  @ 00:54?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puvW4NmaiOo

My biggest complaint about SFZ is some of the Cast sport a really thick American accent which kind of sounds a little strange to non-American English speakers (no offense to anyone).  This is not really evident in the E3 trailer as in the Corneria level previews elsewhere on YT.

Why can't the voice actors speak in a "Hollywood English" accent which is universally "understood" across the globe?  I find it kind of funny that they want to ride in on the coattail of SW Episode VII by releasing SFZ this X-mas.  But the (new) Cast of Ep VII are mostly British English speakers...

Btw, I consider Harrison Ford to be a prime example of "Hollywood English".  Even though he is an American, his on-screen English accent is easily understood throughout the world.

I saw the LandMaster and I liked it transforming into the heavy craft I SAW that part. but the LandMaster still has AWFUL handling like from the SF64 multiplayer. its like driving a car with the gas pedal stuck to the floor.

The Voice acting is complete crap because it's torn STRAIGHT OUT OF SF643D, again makes me shudder. I know the final product will be different, but I'm hugely dissapointed, mainly they're back to an all-male cast again, they're on-rails all the time again, the visuals are crap, the story is pretty much nonexistent, and they didn't even bother to change the Arwing from SF643D, seems pretty lazy. SFZ is a dissapointment to me, I think I'll veer away from StarFox for now on, they aren't going any direction but down with the series, and they've always abused the series from the literal birth of StarFox anyways.

they didn't even bother to change the Arwing from SF643D, seems pretty lazy.

Well, we must be living in parallel universes b/c this is what I'm seeing:

Starfox 64 3d:

med_gallery_1_19_240780.jpgstarfox_64_uebersicht.jpg

=> Cockpit:  Flat vertically standing

=> Fuselage:  Less panel separations/demarkations

=> Right below the nose:  Huge friggin ugly gaping mouth

=> Wings:  Very little yellow painted tips.  Also shape and angle look very jarring

StarFox Zero;

star-fox-zero-e3-trailer-0.jpgstar-fox-zero-wii-u_265242.jpg

=> Cockpit:  Sexy 3D contour

=> Fuselage:  Lots of panel separations to give the impression of being stealthy to deflect radar signals

=> Right below the nose:  Very refined air inlet almost to the point of being a Disney's Planes design

=> Wings:  Very conspicuous yellow paint job.  Wings shape/angles are so different, backview looks almost tooooo sexy in all-range mode (I can't find a good pic of 64 3D's wings in all-range, but they do look pathetic compared to the SFZ version)

In short, Arwing 64 3D is a pathetic attempt at souping up the N64 Arwing to give it a more modern look.  SFZ's Arwing is what you get after you put Krystal thru plastic surgery (no offense to any Krystal fans).  64 3D's Arwing is something like George Clooney's Batmobile, while the SFZ version is The Dark Knight's transformable Stealth-Mobile, aka a repainted military vehicle.  They're completely different beasts that only look the same in their silhouette forms!

Edited by hirobo2

Well, we must be living in parallel universes b/c this is what I'm seeing:

Starfox 64 3d:

med_gallery_1_19_240780.jpgstarfox_64_uebersicht.jpg

=> Cockpit:  Flat vertically standing

=> Fuselage:  Less panel separations/demarkations

=> Right below the nose:  Huge friggin ugly gaping mouth

=> Wings:  Very little yellow painted tips.  Also shape and angle look very jarring

StarFox Zero;

star-fox-zero-e3-trailer-0.jpgstar-fox-zero-wii-u_265242.jpg

=> Cockpit:  Sexy 3D contour

=> Fuselage:  Lots of panel separations to give the impression of being stealthy to deflect radar signals

=> Right below the nose:  Very refined air inlet almost to the point of being a Disney's Planes design

=> Wings:  Very conspicuous yellow paint job.  Wings shape/angles are so different, backview looks almost tooooo sexy in all-range mode (I can't find a good pic of 64 3D's wings in all-range, but they do look pathetic compared to the SFZ version)

In short, Arwing 64 3D is a pathetic attempt at souping up the N64 Arwing to give it a more modern look.  SFZ's Arwing is what you get after you put Krystal thru plastic surgery (no offense to any Krystal fans).  64 3D's Arwing is something like George Clooney's Batmobile, while the SFZ version is The Dark Knight's transformable Stealth-Mobile, aka a repainted military vehicle.  They're completely different beasts that only look the same in their silhouette forms!

ok where do I start '-_-" if you are trying to say plastic surgery makes people look better, it DOESN'T. so many celebrities look like they were fucking mutated beyond recognition by an adaptive parasitic lifeform. Krystal after PS would turn into a blue Katt from SF64 "AAGGHH the hell is that thing!?"

the Tumbler from The Dark Knight is ok, it actually inspired an original design for a vehicle I had (I don't have a drawing, I only have descriptions, I can't draw a tank to save my life)

my favorite Batmobile is either the animated Batmobile from Justice League, or the Tim Burton Bat Mobile.

Anyways, I'm just saying, the Arwing had hardly changed at all, I like the yellow marks, that's pretty much it. the Arwing look from SNES and Assault to me is the best and most original look for an Arwing, it looks sexy and sleek, yet actually functional looking, I love to see more definition and machinery, like on the X-Wing or E-Wing from StarWars, the new Arwing is more like the Naboo fighter, which...is also nice looking, but I don't like it nearly as much. the way I'd do a new Arwing is my profile picture drawing, incidentially that one I did also has yellow markings, I just haven't colored it, don't want to ruin it.

my favorite Batmobile is either the animated Batmobile from Justice League, or the Tim Burton Bat Mobile.

Well, that makes two of us.  The Tim-Burton-Mobile has always and will always be "The Batmobile" for me.  The Japanese are known to be great imitators (ie. Mario = Superman, Zelda = Peter Pan complete with pixies like Tinker Bell with elements from King Arthur legends such as the sword in the stone, StarFox = Star Wars parody).  Now, what if Batman is "Crow-man" (aka Karas) and the Batmobile morphed into the Batplane?  Well, guess who went and took the Burton Batmobile's idea of using a grapling hook to turn a very sharp corner, but using in a plane pilotted by Crow-man?  See here for yourself starting @ 8:15:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Nd0xhjd77E

However, i can't agree with you about the Arwing not having been changed from the 3DS version.  The 643D version looks like a disfigured abomination to me...

Edited by hirobo2

And what do you base that on?

Logic, not to mention failing to characterize members of the series is what lead to the train wreck that was starfox command.

I don't know, maybe you could get by and just continue to publish rail shooters without ever constructing and expanding the backgrounds and interactions among characters. But I wouldn't invest in that series, it just the same game in a different setting and new enemy types. And its like the say, if it isn't growing, its dying.

• Like 1

Logic, not to mention failing to characterize members of the series is what lead to the train wreck that was starfox command.

I don't know, maybe you could get by and just continue to publish rail shooters without ever constructing and expanding the backgrounds and interactions among characters. But I wouldn't invest in that series, it just the same game in a different setting and new enemy types. And its like the say, if it isn't growing, its dying.

God that spoken truth hurts. stop making me agree with you, your opening the wound I got from SF Command. If StarFox doesn't have a ground-breaking game that expands lightyears beyond all the other games and make them look like Pong, the series will remain dead forever.

I love the StarFox games and all, but they haven't done a very good job at all with portraying characters, I mean Assault made their personalities a lot more noticeable, and 64 did more with showing how they interact, but I was only able to get so connected to these fictional characters because I grew up with them, unfortunately they didn't grow up with me. I want a StarFox game that adds true depth to these characters, make them feel like real people.

Ofcourse I also want to see more diverse gameplay too, I want to feel like I'm in a chaotic space battle, not rolling down a roller coaster in a set path.

If StarFox doesn't have a ground-breaking game that expands lightyears beyond all the other games and make them look like Pong, the series will remain dead forever.

Jesus ppl.  It's a reboot, that's why they call it Zero.  No one has watched Patlabor live action recently? 

It comes in 13 episodes and begins with episode zero, not one.  See for yourselves the episodes listing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Next_Generation_-Patlabor-

All episodes except episode 0 have a runtime of around 48 minutes.

• 0: around-10-minute short film, directed by Kiyotaka Taguchi
  • 1: Directed by Mamoru Oshii
  • 2: Directed by Takanori Tsujimoto
  • 3: Directed by Hiroaki Yuasa
  • 4: Directed by Takanori Tsujimoto
  • 5: Directed by Mamoru Oshii
  • 6: Directed by Mamoru Oshii
  • 7: Directed by Hiroaki Yuasa
  • 8: Directed by Takanori Tsujimoto
  • 9: Directed by Kiyotaka Taguchi
  • 10: Directed by Kiyotaka Taguchi
  • 11: Directed by Hiroaki Yuasa
  • 12: Directed by Mamoru Oshii

Episode 0 is supposed to be the "Hey everybody I'm Star Fox introductory one".  All the good stuff you guys are screaming for that's probably found in Star Fox Three to Four a few years later on the Nintendo NX console.

a ground-breaking game that expands lightyears beyond all the other games and make them look like Pong,

Now, I don't mean to offend any Star Wars fan, but plz tell me the quadripod thing @ 13:25, the way it explodes when you destroy it:

isn't more bad-ass than the way this bipedal Walker turret just gets pushed back and huddles to the ground upon destruction @ 2:00:

SFZ may have a simplistic art style, but I'm won over by it from games such as SW Battlefront, where criteria, such as in-game animations and mechanics are concerned.  The only games I would ever consider worthy of the "Pong" prize trophy in the entire franchise is SF64 and its makeover SF643D b/c they're retarded dumbed down versions of the SNES classic and geared towards little kids not serious gamers like the SNESSFZ doesn't seem to be making the same mistakes...

Edited by hirobo2

Command's problems had nothing to do with it was designed as a game, sure. And Star Fox Adventures with Assault didn't have mixed receptions or lower sales than 64. Can you stop changing history?

Also, videogames at large aren't played for their narratives. Go look up the list of top-selling games for both all consoles and all-time.

History time, Star Fox has been shoehorning poorly fitting or designed elements since Adventures. And guess what? None of them were even close to 64! There are more ways to break a TV than to fix one.

Edited by Giladen

Assault is at least equal or greater than 64, I don't know where anyone get's the fantasy that 64 is that amazing. The game is pretty crappy a lot of the time as is Assault, but I liked the gameplay mechanics a lot more in Assault, you can actually FLY in Assault unlike 64, not hover like a Snowspeeder as I said before. the Arwing FLIES, the LandMaster is smooth and responsive unlike 64's. Assault actually has a story, unlike 64. If Assault isn't as good as 64, its SUPERIOR. SF64 is only worshipped because it came out on N64 when you were ten. The SF2/Assault formula is better than the SNES/64 in every way. All StarFox games had decent sales besides Command and the horrendous 3ds remake.

Furthermore, hopefully a reimagining won't effect the sequels, AS MIYAMOTO SAID. perhaps he'll make a true sequel on NX, but I promptly doubt it personally, Nintendo wouldn't do anything that cool.

To return what I was speaking of, anywhere close to 64, Assault and 64 BOTH HAD SLIGHTLY ABOVE AVERAGE SALES AND AVERAGE SALES FOR THEIR RESPECTIVE SYSTEMS. Adventures actually had better ratings than either of them a lot of the time. but only an idiot would make decisions based on retarded reviews or terms of popularity.

Assault is at least equal or greater than 64, I don't know where anyone get's the fantasy that 64 is that amazing. The game is pretty crappy a lot of the time as is Assault, but I liked the gameplay mechanics a lot more in Assault, you can actually FLY in Assault unlike 64, not hover like a Snowspeeder as I said before.

Most of the game wasn't spent in the air though.  Most of the time you were on the ground shooting hatches, which I found to be boring.

the Arwing FLIES, the LandMaster is smooth and responsive unlike 64's.

Never had a problem with 64's Landmaster.

Assault actually has a story, unlike 64.

A minimal story is better than a poorly written one.

The SF2/Assault formula is better than the SNES/64 in every way. 

Opinions, what if someone prefers on-rails shoot-em-ups.

but only an idiot would make decisions based on retarded reviews or terms of popularity.

Then why do you keep bringing them up?

• Like 1

Command's problems had nothing to do with it was designed as a game, sure. And Star Fox Adventures with Assault didn't have mixed receptions or lower sales than 64. Can you stop changing history?

Also, videogames at large aren't played for their narratives. Go look up the list of top-selling games for both all consoles and all-time.

History time, Star Fox has been shoehorning poorly fitting or designed elements since Adventures. And guess what? None of them were even close to 64! There are more ways to break a TV than to fix one.

Changing history? Friend, I didn't insinuate that assault and adventures suffered from poor character depth.(at least not in unit sales. SF assault , IMO, definitely suffered. Especially the ending which was suppose to be deep and emotion but just lacked significant content to be so.) History is a trend, however. Games that get away with poor plots have other utilities that allow them to make market, whether that is replay value, multiplayer aspects, or just general arcade type arena games like Mario cart. Star fox isn't such a game, at least it isn't now. 64 succeeded
 for a multitude of reasons. What will make another star fox game a success? 

I  think you're trying to claim it could happen with design alone. I respectfully have to disagree. What would that involve anyway? Simply updating the mechanics of a rail shooter and re-publishing it? Its not EA publishing the next SF lol. Its obviously in the inclusion of something new and dynamic that brings sales. But you're right. In the past that been a failure looking at command and assault namely. I'm sure they'll take their time this go around and have a real system that works unlike assault , with land and air elements that aren't terrible. AND THE GAME WOULD BE A SUCCESS!

But 5 years down the road if they just do the same thing it wouldn't have appeal. Starfox, IMO, should develop a wholesome narrative. It allows future releases to be popular without massively deviating from gameplay patterns, while still being original. Not to mention all the potential is there. It has been since 64. A young pilot, a group of friends, and his struggle to overcome overwhelming odds and save not only the lylat system but avenge his father! Its a classic. I wont argue that narratives have the potential to screw games up just as much as new designs, but it's just where i'd like to series to go in order to keep my interest.