How would you do a Starfox 64 remake?

Storminator

Not sure if this should go in classic or general, please move if needs be.

You might think a thread like this is a bit pointless considering we already have a straight remake on the 3DS and Zero which is basically a remake of 64, but hear me out! Starfox 64 might arguably be the best in the series, but that doesn't mean its immune to critisism, so I've been thinking of what could be done to improve the game if it were to be remade today.

First off, the story. In my opinion the story serves its purpose well, but it is very bare bones. My ideal remake would flesh out the story and characters more, add more context specific dialogue, etc. and adding additional cutscenes in between missions.

Level design- The level design in 64 can at times be boring, especially the All-Range missions. Lets take Sector Z for example, its meant to be a hazardous area with magnetic fluxuations and debris. So what if for that mission, your radar is hampered or disabled? Or perhaps in a series first you start in All-range mode then enter an on-rails segment, maybe the Great Fox's engines keep malfunctioning (Giving an good reason why tis just sitting there while missiles are targeting it). This is just one example of how the levels could be made more distinct and fun.

Extras and unlockables- Lets face it, the game just simply needs more unlockables and bonuses. One thing I thought of was the dishes in the Corneria stage- You can destroy them, but it does nothing for your score. So what if in this hypothetical remake destroying these dishes unlocks a little bonus? Just little side objectives and optional bonuses that would really help add more replay value.

This could also tie into the worldbuilding and lore- finding little secrets or completing mini objectives that unlock info about the planets, characters, ships, etc. would again add a lot to the overall experieince and give more drive to replay the levels.

Those are just a few little ideas, but obviously this is an open discussion, so what would you add or change to make Starfox 64 to make it better?

Probably a darker, grittier story with a focus on vengeance and characters while upholding the general gameplay. Overall there should have been more narrative on how Andross rose to power and his efforts to control the galaxy rather than just being an angry 'meanie head' (literally lol). The story also shouldn't have been black and white in the terms of good and evil. Evil in reality takes on multiple shades and not some catholic ideal where good always prevails. The same applies to the good guys and not one character should be epidemic of the classic depiction of a hero.

Possibly more of a sense of risk and accomplishment as to Starfox team goals and the 'good guys' as a whole and why they are fighting. In the opening narration, it is said that Lylat was becoming a wasteland of near extinction. More light on said extinction and shown why Andross is evil should have been in greater detail rather than just being told he's a baddie. 

13 minutes ago, Snes1993 said:

Probably a darker, grittier story with a focus on vengeance and characters while upholding the general gameplay. Overall there should have been more narrative on how Andross rose to power and his efforts to control the galaxy rather than just being an angry 'meanie head' (literally lol). The story also shouldn't have been black and white in the terms of good and evil. Evil in reality takes on multiple shades and not some catholic ideal where good always prevails. The same applies to the good guys and not one character should be epidemic of the classic depiction of a hero.

Possibly more of a sense of risk and accomplishment as to Starfox team goals and the 'good guys' as a whole and why they are fighting. In the opening narration, it is said that Lylat was becoming a wasteland of near extinction. More light on said extinction and shown why Andross is evil should have been in greater detail rather than just being told he's a baddie. 

I agree on the whole "Wasteland" aspect and Andross's characterisation. You never get a sense that Lylat is on its last legs, or how Andross rose to power. The other stuff I'm gonna have to disagree on since like I said, the basic story is fine as it is and I don't think it needs to be drastically darker, just expanded.

14 hours ago, Storminator said:

The other stuff I'm gonna have to disagree on since like I said, the basic story is fine as it is and I don't think it needs to be drastically darker, just expanded.

Personally, I think something a tad bit darker fits. Why its even a very dark story already.

First, Dr. Andross is exiled for unspeakable crimes through his experiments which are so devastating that they lead to near extinction TO THE ENTIRE SOLAR SYSTEM (dayum). Secondly the tragedy of James Mcloud, which must have affected his son on a psychological and emotional level, driving him to kill those responsible. Thirdly, a massive assault upon nearly all corners of Lylat launched from Venom, causing massive destruction and possible mass genocide on multiple worlds. Fourthly, why is General Pepper, a high ranking military officer the sole leader of Corneria instead of democratically appointed official? Was he part of a ku'de'ta to overthrow the current government? Who was in charge? Was it Andross or someone who supported his experiments? Was Andross even wholly evil? What if Andross was a victim? Was what happened simply an accident or worse, was it staged by Pepper to rally support to overthrow the establishment?

Sorry lol if I got carried away with headcanons :D

4 hours ago, Snes1993 said:

First, Dr. Andross is exiled for unspeakable crimes through his experiments which are so devastating that they lead to near extinction TO THE ENTIRE SOLAR SYSTEM (dayum). Secondly the tragedy of James Mcloud, which must have affected his son on a psychological and emotional level, driving him to kill those responsible. Thirdly, a massive assault upon nearly all corners of Lylat launched from Venom, causing massive destruction and possible mass genocide on multiple worlds. Fourthly, why is General Pepper, a high ranking military officer the sole leader of Corneria instead of democratically appointed official? Was he part of a ku'de'ta to overthrow the current government? Who was in charge? Was it Andross or someone who supported his experiments? Was Andross even wholly evil? What if Andross was a victim? Was what happened simply an accident or worse, was it staged by Pepper to rally support to overthrow the establishment?

Sorry lol if I got carried away with headcanons :D

Its fine! And from that perspective the story is already pretty dark!

On 7/29/2016 at 7:01 AM, Storminator said:

In my opinion the story serves its purpose well, but it is very bare bones. My ideal remake would flesh out the story and characters more, add more context specific dialogue, etc. and adding additional cutscenes in between missions.

I agree with your viewpoint. SF64 in the end needed more substance, more meat on an already rounded figured. 

I think it should be all 15 missions, but in 1 go. As in you go to Corneria first, then the asteriod belt, then Sector Y, etc. I think that all parts of StarFox 64 are connected, but the game only lets you play 7 of them in 1 playthrough. So I think that for a remake of it, there should be all the missions in 1 go along with long cutscenes and good dialogue. Though one could argue that StarFox Zero is a remake of 64, because 64 is a remake of SNES, soo.....