Does anybody here actually LIKE Assault?

WolfoxOkamichan

Did Adventures and Assault do that? Not by much I assume, we didn't really get to know anything new about the characters that we didn't allready know.

And we got Krystal and Panther. Two new characters one realises we really don't know anything about. The base is laid there, they can both have been developed into interesting characters, but before Command, they were about as deep and complex as paper dolls.

What I mean is that Adventures and Assault took the characters (especially the StarFox team and their allies) and gave them more screen time and developed their personality. We got new characters like Krystal, Tricky, and yes Panther. But remember, the earlier 2 were introduced in Adventures while the latter was introduced in Assault. so we got to know them more.

You are right that Command failed to build on this, but that is just my point I am explaining the foundation that ADV and AS built from the 64 game, that Command utterly failed to add on to.

A mercenary team only excists for as long as there are enough jobs for them. With the aparoids out of the picture, there wasn't much "clean" work for StarFox to do before the anglars struck.

Also you must remember, this is a team that had been together all since before the Lylat wars many, many years earlier. They knew each other like the backside of their own hands. I'd want to get some time off from buddies in such a situation, strech my wings and try out something else for a change.

He didn't put Krystal on the team in Adventures, and it was perhaps after the aparoid crisis was over, when Fox had been so close to loosing so many friends. Peppy, Pepper, and the numerous times he had to save his teammates. He knew he had tested his luck a bit to often, and getting the one he cared the most out of harms way would definatively be a top priority as the intoxication of victory started to calm down.

The way he broke it to her was perhaps not so great. Men are from Mars and women from Venus, we don't really speak the same language from time to time. She took it like he wanted her to leave him for good instead of going from the cockpit of an Arwing to the relative safety of the command ship, filling the intel role Peppy had to abandon as he became general.

I don't like branching storylines much myself, since I'm the kind of guy that wants to explore EVERYTHING that is in a game, but don't have patience to play it trough nine times.

The artwork was rubbish, but it is strangely not that I hear people complaining the most about. It's always how Krystal did that or didn't do that instead, which was supposedly very out of character for her. Strange since we don't really know anything about her character. She's the last survivor of a destroyed planet, has some telepathic abilities, is kind and caring, but with a lot of spunk. That's what leads we have really.

Also, the control layout is supposedly very bad. Like I find all handheld games to be.

I can understand the idea of getting some free time to oneself, I mean Falco kind of did that before the story to SF Adv. But for the team to have just fallen apart in the way it just does not work in my opinion. Pepper falling ill and Peppy replacing him was a crap idea in my opinion. It seems to me that the makers just wanted get Pepper out of the way. From what I gather from guides and such, Fox accepted Krystal into the team soon after Adventures. The cut audio pieces from the game can also give a clear indicator of that.

Up to Assault, he'd been saving his friends and teammates for 9 whole years. When I play Adventures and Assault, it is just absolutely impossible for me to see Fox doing that to Krystal. She had proven in 2 games that she was a strong, able, and skillful fighter. And it always strikes home to me that Fox in both of those games knows that too. Whenever I play them, I can always see Fox and Krystal working together on missions and protecting each other from harm's way. Just as the rest of the team does.

Look at it this way: What we have about Krystal is a heck of a lot more then what we have with other characters like Panther. What Krystal did that was thought of as being so out of character was go to StarWolf to intentionally hurt Fox. And in one ending she just jumps off the team a few months after rejoining the SF team. There are more out of character bits I could mention but I don't want to take up too much of this post.

Think about this for a while. There was one year between Adventures and Assault, and 2-3 years after Assault comes Command. 3-4 years for developing a relationship!?!

Don't for a moment think I want to break them apart, I can see the appeal of a tad of romance, but I'd imagine anyone would have reached the "I love you" step somewhere before Assault started, not 3-4 years after they meet and became teammates.

It has taken far to long, if they really feelt something for each other, they would have been married or have kids before Command took place, which wouldn't really work either.

To sum it up, if Krystal is to be in the games, she either needs to leave Fox, or get kids with him so the next game taking place far of in the future can concentrate on a new generation of Starfox. It's probably a loose-loose situation for Krystal fans anyway.

I was trying to show a trend of development that Fox and Krystal's relationship might have been taking and what could have worked if Command had been done right. It could have taken one year after Assault or maybe 2. In Assault, it is implied that Fox and Krystal already had plans of what they were going to do in their relationship. Command had so much potential to do great with the established characters from the previous 3 entries but utterly failed to follow up.

Thankfully from what has been found the endings and therefore most of Command is non-cannon. So there is hope yet for some exceptional development in the great series that is StarFox.

With the whole ""I love you" scene or something like it", I mentioned in my previous post I was simply giving an idea of what Nintendo could have done in a 3rd sequel. What I meant was that the makers could had a scene in the vein of such just show that their relation had peaked to all those who wanted to sea such a development on screen. In other words a scene of them expressing their true feelings on screen. It doesn't absoulutely have to be a scene where they say "I love you." It can just be a romantic scene with a similar potency, which could be the foundation for ideas like the characters having marriages and offspring. And it could be the same for the other couples in the series as well (like FalcoxKatt and even SlippyxAmanda if it is included in the next installment).

My apologies if it sounded like a rant. I had to get that all out. This is all just my standpoint on the whole issue, Asper. It is just how I see StarFox whenever I play the games. As I said previously, we may just have to agree to disagree and just move on.

i have my opinions as well....

1). multiplayer is very fun, however the characters having different stats is a bit iffy, WOLF IS WAY TOO OVERPOWERED...

2). the voice acting is hit and miss... while fox's voice has changed from adventures (which his voice in that kind of bugged me..) the acting for fox is very bland... he gets the point across, but he doesnt really emote like a good actor should... SF64 was probably the best, but since he didnt have much dialog and it really didnt have any drama in it, there was really no way for the actor in SF64 to emote either... not to mention i miss slippy's older voice XD i miss the topic of having to guess between a boy and a girl! wolf's change was very nice... it would have been better if we had a more devious sounding british actor.. but he is fashioned with an 80's punk style so if he sounded british, he might be a little off...

3).controls again are hit and miss... overall its a bit of a miss, but at LEAST its playable if you switch it.. i tend to be a bit of an xbox fan when it comes to controllers, however they worked with what they had...

4).linear gameplay from the gamecube is a bit frustrating, but it didnt stop me from enjoying it.. of course it DOES stop me from playing it over and over.. but thats just me, and adventures wasnt horrible since it kind of reminded me of zelda... however i have my nitpicks with that game too.. thats kind of off topic though...

5). music from all of them is simply fantastic! thats almost what makes or breaks a game for me... fresh rehashes of 8-bit music is wonderful!

6). its bringing foreward some new characters and reviving older ones, however it still lacking a few. (IE bill and kat..)

7). it wouldve been fun to have seen andross return again... using him as the hivemind of the apparoids wouldve been an unexpected twist, but i guess he DOES tend to be overused...

all in all, it was pretty alright, but i dont tend to exclude games from the franchises unless its ABSOLUTELY AWFUL.. like the Zelda cartoon or the games for the CD-I.

@SlyJedi

Well, I can agree on that we disagree about it. What I wanted to say is that what the fans mostly wanted after Assault was a game with lots of character developement, branching storylines, deeper, darker story etc. etc.

And Command gave them all that. One can't deny that no other SF game dived deeper with it's character developement, they weren't just the archtypes we had seen a million times before.

But, after a quick look trough threads here on the forum centering around Command, and many other places as well, one will realise most of the fans here absolutely hate it!

And the main reason for that I suspect, isn't because it lacked character developement, but because the characters didn't develop the way they wanted them to. We didn't get  :fox:+ :krystal: nuzling all the time, Starwolf wasn't just baddies one needed to get out of the way ASAP, and Slippy was the manliest character in the game.

@asper, i could debate that, it would really depend on what conclusion you came to..

personally i cheated and watched them all on youtube, then formed my own by mixing the endings together for the sake of my fan-fic, but honestly, after getting used to the control scheme (which threw me off at first) its really quite fun XD

i wish i hadnt gotten to it so late, the online mutliplayer is a graveyard...

i enjoyed your comment about slippy, that made me lol a bit XD but yes, much more serious about its character development, which truly made each character an individual! it stands out from the other starfox games..

All the free-roaming courses were way too small. The two biggest ones were only in the multiplayer mode. The collisions were pretty shoddy and the characters moved way too unbelievably on foot (legs go 100MPH while their upper body remains perfectly steady). And while the orchestra was nice, it doesn't sound like anything's played at the right tempo.

All I can say for it is they added some colorful settings and a few good on-rail missions.

Guest FoXXX

All the free-roaming courses were way too small. The two biggest ones were only in the multiplayer mode. The collisions were pretty shoddy and the characters moved way too unbelievably on foot (legs go 100MPH while their upper body remains perfectly steady). And while the orchestra was nice, it doesn't sound like anything's played at the right tempo.

All I can say for it is they added some colorful settings and a few good on-rail missions.

Wolf's speed is insane :o

I love this game.  The multi-player was the best part of it imo. :D

yes. The flying levels were fun and some of the bosses were good, but the multiplayer takes the cake.

yes. The flying levels were fun and some of the bosses were good, but the multiplayer takes the cake.

still could be improved though but yes.

Only improvement I could really see is a better controller, different levels, and balancing the characters a bit more (IE, making Krystal stronger and Wolf weaker)

Only improvement I could really see is a better controller, different levels, and balancing the characters a bit more (IE, making Krystal stronger and Wolf weaker)

agreed.

I think the charaters should all be even as far as health ,but all the other traits be what they are. and theres a lot of improvment ever play halo?    being able to crouch would be a nice feature getting a better radar so you don't constatly know where your enemy is would also be nice.

Guest Matt macdowel

hmm i never played assault but i think there should be more then 10 missions! and some good old fasion first person action :')

Guest FoXXX

hmm i never played assault but i think there should be more then 10 missions! and some good old fasion first person action :')

Lol, no FPS :(

I think the charaters should all be even as far as health ,but all the other traits be what they are. and theres a lot of improvment ever play halo?    being able to crouch would be a nice feature getting a better radar so you don't constatly know where your enemy is would also be nice.

Yes, I played Halo, and the only one I liked as far as multiplayer was the first one for computer, and even then on my server which had invisible snipers, no shields, on Sidewinder, that was good fun. Other than that, I never got in to Halo on MP, people took it way too seriously, and for a rather mediocre MP FPS. And crouching would be all right, as long as you didn't overload the controller and need to do it by hitting a combination of buttons.

You can just turn off the radar.

man what is up with people and hating on halo? :(

srsly guys its popular for a reason...

but i digress, honestly i dont think it should TRULY stray away from what it is, its what makes it fun! but yes getting rid of character advantage is a good way of improving the game.. i hate tactical advantages like that, it makes everyone at eachothers throats to play wolf... so therefore i say get rid of advantages altogether. crouching feature would be neat, but seeing as how the controller is NOT designed to click in for crouching... well a button might be suitable but me personally i hate crouch as a button, my mind tells me to click in the movement stick..

overall, the game needs a better controller... gamecube is lame... anyway, i havent unlocked all the maps before so i cant say much, but the levels need to be some better combonation of the three modes of travel.. corneria sucks for arwings, katina is lame for landmasters, and Fichina is gay on foot... there just needs to be better balance.. while i can see the levels were designed around the games main plot, they dont have to be the same places on the planet.. new locations on the same planet would be AWESOME!

either way, the game is older now, so im waiting for a new game... i could see wii controls for starfox assault sounding really bad... as fun as the metroid prime trilogy was. the wiimote for aiming is... and i quote sonic on this one..

"No GOOD..."

but i digress, honestly i dont think it should TRULY stray away from what it is, its what makes it fun! but yes getting rid of character advantage is a good way of improving the game.. i hate tactical advantages like that, it makes everyone at eachothers throats to play wolf... so therefore i say get rid of advantages altogether. crouching feature would be neat, but seeing as how the controller is NOT designed to click in for crouching... well a button might be suitable but me personally i hate crouch as a button, my mind tells me to click in the movement stick..

overall, the game needs a better controller... gamecube is lame... anyway, i havent unlocked all the maps before so i cant say much, but the levels need to be some better combonation of the three modes of travel.. corneria sucks for arwings, katina is lame for landmasters, and Fichina is gay on foot... there just needs to be better balance.. while i can see the levels were designed around the games main plot, they dont have to be the same places on the planet.. new locations on the same planet would be AWESOME!

either way, the game is older now, so im waiting for a new game... i could see wii controls for starfox assault sounding really bad... as fun as the metroid prime trilogy was. the wiimote for aiming is... and i quote sonic on this one..

"No GOOD..."

agreed the gamecube controll er would be really much better or jsut the classic controller.

Guest FoXXX

"No GOOD..."

One of the reason I like the simple maps

I LOVE ASSAULT!!! But, there were only two things I did not like about SF Assault in the Multiplayer.

1) Characters move WAY TOO fast at times. Even Fox was all like "hey, where did-" *killed* And Fox was supposed to be the "all-around" character....riiiight and of course, Wolf being broken. (BTW, you need one sniper shot to drain Wolf of his health, and another one to kill him.....yep, the story of "only snipers" matches...beyond that he was nearly un-shootable to begin with)

2) Who came up with the idea of blinking target boxes on your opponents when they were in view? I think it got annoying  after a while. And to make it kinda iffy, sometimes i didnt notice my opponent on screen and the game just gave away their position...

But at least they were bright enough to turn off radar as a pre-match option. WAY more fun that way.

I LOVE ASSAULT!!! But, there were only two things I did not like about SF Assault in the Multiplayer.

1) Characters move WAY TOO fast at times. Even Fox was all like "hey, where did-" *killed* And Fox was supposed to be the "all-around" character....riiiight and of course, Wolf being broken. (BTW, you need one sniper shot to drain Wolf of his health, and another one to kill him.....yep, the story of "only snipers" matches...beyond that he was nearly un-shootable to begin with)

2) Who came up with the idea of blinking target boxes on your opponents when they were in view? I think it got annoying  after a while. And to make it kinda iffy, sometimes i didnt notice my opponent on screen and the game just gave away their position...

But at least they were bright enough to turn off radar as a pre-match option. WAY more fun that way.

Ghost Recon does the same thing as #2 there.  It actually makes sense since Starfox is in "teh futurez" where high-tech radars existed.

I enjoyed Assault quite a bit.  Sure, it wasn't as good as 64 or the original, but it was a solid addition to the series.