Character design contest #1

Asper Sarnoff

would somebody kindly bring all the submissions into one or two post So that I can compare them to a greater detail?

This is defintly going to be a hard decision with soo many good works may I suggest that we judges  make two catagories to judge Art and Bio? then judge our favorite based on those two or not?

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Asper Sarnoff

• Kursed

• Starfox mccloud15

• CR4CK3RW0LF

I'll put all the submissions into one post, but only after the deadline has expired at tomorrow midnight GMT.

I will consider some things while judging, so please tell me if any of these are wrong:

- I would try to distribute score between backstory and image, thought finding a "balance" is quite hard considering the diferent style´s/quality/ect.

- From my point of view, it is possible to win with a great story and possible to lose with a great image, althrough so far all... competitors are doing quite good.

(To sum it up, story can be as important as the image to me, if not more.)

- Do not worry since in my judging there will not be... "Favourites".

- Of course all of the above just makes judging harder for me, but it think it is part of the fun of it.

P.S. to Asper: no offence but I do not really think that your submission (graphical part) is 16 mb big... I have a download rate of 8 kb/s, so either my USB modem was enchated or you reduced the size... :wink:

Good Luck everyone!

I will consider some things while judging, so please tell me if any of these are wrong:

- I would try to distribute score between backstory and image, thought finding a "balance" is quite hard considering the diferent style´s/quality/ect.

- From my point of view, it is possible to win with a great story and possible to lose with a great image, althrough so far all... competitors are doing quite good.

(To sum it up, story can be as important as the image to me, if not more.)

- Do not worry since in my judging there will not be... "Favourites".

- Of course all of the above just makes judging harder for me, but it think it is part of the fun of it.

P.S. to Asper: no offence but I do not really think that your submission (graphical part) is 16 mb big... I have a download rate of 8 kb/s, so either my USB modem was enchated or you reduced the size... :wink:

Good Luck everyone!

Those are the points you should judge by indeed.

But the file is most certainly 16 MB. The thing took me ages to upload.

Apparently I'll be like an hour or two late on the full fanfiction for Vy'drach, didn't think it would take so long to type 72 pages.

Actually, shouldn't take that long, its only 11 pages left.

I think I actually am developing carpal tunnel syndrome doing this.

Guest Julius Quasar

Wow...wow...these are all very amazing in their own light.

BUT...some were better than others, not just in terms of drawing, but in profile bio and in originality.

My top 3 (not in order of favorite) are:

Chrono Reaper

StarfoxmcCloud15

and

Asper Sarnoff

This was not an easy decision to make, but I am glad I could see all your drawings and you should be proud of your efforts.

I'll come up with First, Second, and Third Place Winners...Right after these messages! XD

I'm going to have to say my top four are  in no particluar order

Asper Sarnoff

StarfoxmcCloud15

CR4CK3RW0LF

This whole thing was a very very hard decision for me to make all  submissions were great. I commend you all on a job well done.

this is not a final winner/winners.

Well, mine´s are, from 3° to 1°

(with a small explanation, which I hope, is not against the rules):

3° Asper Sarnoff.

Great work on the picture and story. She really looks like she´s "impossible to hate",

and she does seem to have an "easygoing" look. Phearps the story is a bit too

"large", but it is still fitting for the character.

Good Job!

2° Kalikimaka.

I liked the overall desing of the character, and the fatty image fits him very well.

Fits also well with the bio, since he really looks like he goes for ground support.

I found the story to be a bit too... "simple", however. Regardless of that,

Great Work!

1° Starfoxmccloud15.

So far, I found out that you could make the perfect balance between image quality and story. I think the image is not perfect, but it manages to fulfill it´s purpose very well.

Quoting myself "She really looks like she had been a thief".

The story is short but descriptive, and it is a good mix between backstory and skills description, and all of these are hard to put togheter.

Well done!

The idea was really that you would decided the outcome on PM, and only reveal the winners after you all had come to a common conclusion. Preferably with a scale such as Mr. Foxer suggested.

Guest Julius Quasar

I was also thinking based on a scale of 1-10

-Originality

-Bio

Etc.

Nice! :yes:

Chrono Reaper:

Originality-9 Very nice...has a very unique background story

Bio-7 Sorry, it's a great background story, but there's no strengths,

weaknesses, personality, or vehicle/vessel included in her profile.

Drawing:10 Love the colors, very beautiful!

StarfoxmcCloud15

Originality-9 Very good!  I like her a lot, has "classic without being a cliche" element to it.

Bio-10 Very nice bio, very informative, detailed.

Drawing-7 Very good, has lots of character to it, but no color...a little rough around the edges, but still very nice!

Asper Sarnoff

Originality-10 Excellent!  She's customized from the ground up, in more ways that one!

Bio-10 Epic!  Although I don't agree 100% with the description of Katina's "baking sun", I still like her story.

Drawing-10 EXCELLENT!  :yes: Great rendering 3-D!  Love it!  360 viewing of her is very nice!

Alright, I finally have the time to write this but it's going to be quick, I'll save the comments for later.

Starfoxmccloud15

Kalikimaka

caat01

The idea was really that you would decided the outcome on PM, and only reveal the winners after you all had come to a common conclusion. Preferably with a scale such as Mr. Foxer suggested.

OK. Note that this time the result is diferent due to score-based, and maybe because I tried to see everything in more detail, from stories to pictures.

3° Kalikimaka.

Originality : 9. - Very good. So far I have not seen many "fatty" SF fan characters,

and this one seems to fit in very well. The story, however, is not very well

developed, and thus left me with some questions on the character´s past.

Biography. : 8. - Descriptive and... Too short, unfortunately.

It really fits the character, but you could have elaborated more on it.

Like I said above, there are some questions left unanswered.

Where he was born? How he meet Peppy?; that to say a few.

Graphic Quality : 8 - Very good! The character is really in his role of

ground support. He looks indeed he is know more for his stomach than

for his brain, and it suits him well. And he really looks like he "packs a punch"

in combat. His shades are pretty cool, too, and add to his character.

2° Vydrach.

Originality : 9. - Great! First time I see that level of customization. His equipment looks great and fits very well his backstory and description. As if he was really a Predator...  :wink:

Biography. : 8. - Descriptive, and great customization. Maybe some little details are missing, but you have a reason for that and it really does not matters.

Graphic Quality : 9 - I liked it overalll. Maybe the hands and mouth are a bit small (and the right arm too), but his "Armor of unknow materials" is seen in all it´s glory.

1° Starfoxmccloud15.

Originality : 9. - Great! The whole idea of the character seems

interesting, and you managed to pull it off very well. Everything

regarding originality seems to be fine, while it should be noted

that the "former thief becomes hero" is sort of cliché, you managed

to have her not look like a 'standard comic book heroine', but a as SF character.

Biography : 10. - Good, precise, and short. It is hard to put all of these togheter,

and everthings fits in with the character. To avoid quoting myself again, I will

say that she really looks like a devoted crime-fighter.

Well done!.

Graphic Quality : 10. - Exellent!

She looks really cool, her equipment looks original and,

her description fits well with the picture.

Very good!.

it seems like they are just posting the verdicts anyway XD

doesnt really seem suspenseful, unless these guys arent judges and are just other contest members doing some critiquing, which i dont mind.. but it is a little confusing  :?

it seems like they are just posting the verdicts anyway XD

doesnt really seem suspenseful, unless these guys arent judges and are just other contest members doing some critiquing, which i dont mind.. but it is a little confusing  :?

They are indeed the judges. Julius, Kursed, DRL and Mr. Foxer.

The judging process didn't go exactly like what I had in mind, with them deciding the outcome entirely over PM and only posting the final verdict here in the thread, to add suspense.

Well, I'll have to consider that in the next contest, which will be a little easier to participate in, and will start as soon as this one is finished.

They are indeed the judges. Julius, Kursed, DRL and Mr. Foxer.

The judging process didn't go exactly like what I had in mind, with them deciding the outcome entirely over PM and only posting the final verdict here in the thread, to add suspense.

Well, I'll have to consider that in the next contest, which will be a little easier to participate in, and will start as soon as this one is finished.

count me in bro