The Cornerian Complex

Fluxy

"Indeed." Calliope says, shrugging.

"Still pests. Still spread exotic plagues. Still need to die" Victoria says.

"But yeah, silverfish.  I don't know how they got here, but they're not anymore, and I'm glad for that." Kage said, putting his glass down and cracking his knuckles.  "Is anyone even in the complex today?  It's been really slow all day.  And it's after 5, the people are usually pouring in by now." 

He reached into his cargo pocket, retrieving a pack of cigarettes and pulling one out.  Victoria hadn't brought her kid this time, so he didn't have to feel bad about smoking in front of his friends.  

Just then, a young-looking, grey-furred wolf walked into Kage's bar, dressed in a black shirt, blue jean cargo pants, and black boots. He sat down at the bar, two seats away from Victoria, rubbing his temple as he asked, "Bartender... have you any soft drinks here?"

Kage shot the kid a look that said "This is a bar" before saying just that.  "This is a bar, kid.  Why in the name of Captain Morgan would you want anything without alcohol?"  He asked.  "Yeah, we got cola or lemon lime.  Or water, if you're so inclined"

"Praise be the captain" Victoria lifts her glass and toasts without paying any attention, much to the concern of her compatriot. 

"That indoctrinated?" She says with a small smile, lifting her own drink to lightly tap Victoria's glass.

Victoria shrugs. "I owe the man more than i can ever pay him back in labor, might as well give him a toast when i hear the words captain while i drink."

Kimari and Max lose sight of the odd hunter, and shrug about what do to next. Max breaks the ice. "Don't you normally go somewhere around here, food court, sports bar, something?"

Kimari only sighs when hearing the word, 'bar'. <"Follow me, and no ordering alcohol. Wolf will chew my tail for a minor like you."> As they head for the bar, a young white wolf quietly clings on to Kimari's back, seemingly unnoticeable by either of the duo. 

Kage shot the kid a look that said "This is a bar" before saying just that.  "This is a bar, kid.  Why in the name of Captain Morgan would you want anything without alcohol?"  He asked.  "Yeah, we got cola or lemon lime.  Or water, if you're so inclined"

(Info on the new guy: )

"No idea, just felt like having a cola," the wolf responded. "Well... unless you have that blue alcohol that certain others drink... Romulan Ale, or whatever it was called. Or some whiskey, for that matter."

The unseen hunter continued to move through the complex, keeping an eye out for any prey that would present themselves. He stopped again at Kage's bar, where he spotted a newcomer to the scene - a young-looking wolf, sitting at the bar. From what the Hunter could tell, he was unarmed, but there was something about the wolf that the Hunter couldn't make out. He was stricken with an odd sense of familiarity as he stared at the wolf.

"Never much cared for Romulan Ale, it didn't sell much either here, but we do have whiskey" Kage said, placing a glass on the counter and grabbing a bottle.  "One whiskey" He repeated, pouring the oaky liquid about halfway up the glass before passing it to his patron.  "Are you going to start up a tab or pay now?"

As the duo open the bar door, Kimari nods to Victoria and Kage, doing 'business' as usual. As they reach a booth, Max speaks. "You know those two working the bar? Thought you never got out of the ship much."

Kimari rolls his eyes at Max's attempt at a common human's sense of humor. <"I volunteer here every once in a while. Maybe you should do something here as well, get some learning in the field, instead of being like Kirigane here behind me."> He grabs the white wolf, places her in the booth and adds, <"I'll deal with you sneaking around later, little sis...I'm guessing you want to order?">

Kirigane voices to the front, in her childish ways. "Mind if we get three colas for us and Mr. Bear?" She giggles as Max's head goes to his face for being called that horrifying name. 

"Never much cared for Romulan Ale, it didn't sell much either here, but we do have whiskey" Kage said, placing a glass on the counter and grabbing a bottle.  "One whiskey" He repeated, pouring the oaky liquid about halfway up the glass before passing it to his patron.  "Are you going to start up a tab or pay now?"

"I'll pay now, how much?" the wolf asked.

The unseen hunter continued to observe the wolf at the bar, the one who'd just ordered a whiskey. He seemed... familiar, somehow, but the hunter couldn't place where he'd seen him before. His observation post? A walkway overlooking Kage's bar that - thankfully - no one was on. But he was still cloaked and camouflaged from prying eyes and electronic surveillance. The most prying eyes would see was his distorted, barely-visible and hard-to-track figure, staring them down. Electronic surveillance wouldn't even see him.

Who are you? The hunter thought.

"10 for the glass.  We're having a special today, I'll top you off when you finish for 5 credits extra.  Beats buying two drinks." He said.  

He looked to the new duo, "You got it" the retiree said to his friend, grabbing the soda fountain nozzle and spraying cola into three glasses with ice.  He placed them on the table before returning his attention to the other wolf who was about to pay.

The wolf slapped 10 credits down on the counter. "Name's Ketorr, by the way," he introduced himself. "Captain of the Starship Wanderer... for whatever that's worth." He paused to sip his Whiskey, then told Kage, "Forgive me, but I need to ask you something that I've been asking everyone lately - does the name Sela mean anything to you?"

"To the Captain." Victoria says like clockwork, taking a swig. Calliope rolls her eyes and turns away from Vicky and towards Ketorr.

"Sela is a term used in Psalms, but i haven't heard that name in a long while."

Now that wasn't Calliope, the newcomer had entered without ceremony or even an introduction post. With Brown short hair and very little to distinguish him from the masses of humanity, it is only his archaic dressings and clearly displayed pistol on his hip that sets him apart. "Sela is one of the names for Petra, a city in my country." He nods to Calliope, Ktorr, and Kage.

"I am Bauduin."

"That's Selah.  It means pause" Kage said, "Or musical interlude" He added.  

He turned his attention then to the newer patron, "No, the name doesn't ring a bell.  I get a lot of odd names around here, but that isn't one of them"

Ketorr shrugged. "Thought I'd ask," he said. "After waking up on that station with no memory, the name Sela was the only thing standing out in my mind - though I knew not who or what. It could be that the name Sela has multiple definitions, but I have no idea how that's possible, nor why it was the only name - aside from my own - that I remembered." He sipped again on his whiskey. "Still... I can't help but feel that Sela - whoever or whatever it is - is trouble."

"Why a word having multiple meanings is a linguistic theme throughout all spoken languages. For example the word suck both meaning..." Calliope goes off onto a tangent, rambling off many words in English, then slipping into languages long considered dead and without modern translation.

Bauduin snorts. "My biblical studies have fallen on the wayside, It seems. Could i bother you for a drink? Whiskey, if you would."

With a light chuckle, Kage poured another whiskey, going on his usual speel about the special for the day for whiskey.

He then turned his attention to the wolf. More specifically, the noticeable red dot on his neck. "You got something here" he said, gesturing on his own neck where it was.

(Kage, I decided against having the hunter fire on Ketorr. Didn't want to create an incident.)

Ketorr frowned. "Huh?" he asked.

"Arashikage!" Calliope admonishes, putting her hands on her hips. "Don't you know it is impolite to point out such things in public? Why had i been 200 years younger i would leap over this counter and teach you some manners!"

Victoria only snorts, her eyes turning to the young wolf. She traces his from without finding anything, chalking it up to imagination. A Sniper inside a shopping mall? Get real, this place was safe.

"I am afraid i dont have any "credits" Bauduin says, reaching into his pocket and withdrawing a collection of coins. "Do you accept coinage?"

"Sorry. I get a little jumpy sometimes." It was true. He was still sometimes uneasy in crowded public places. He turned his attention to the man without the credits. "Depends. Are they shiny coins?" He asked. "What'll they do for me?"

"Still, even jumpy to call attention to such a thing. If i had a dollar for every time i was called out in public with proof of my dealing with Drummer so displayed on my neck, why i would be a very rich woman!"

Calliope turns to Ketorr. "And you! If you are going to have such encounters before going out into public, at least wear something to cover them up! It is only polite after all."

Bauduin places the coins on the counter. "They are very shiny coins, and they adhere to the gold standard if that makes it any better."

"Alright that works then." Kage said, turning to Victoria, "What do you figure the exchange rate is on this?" He asked.  She probably wasn't going to be of any help, but he never made stupid decisions without confirmation from another party

Ketorr ignored the comments, and instead sipped his whiskey.

The hunter, however, continued to observe Ketorr from afar. He was puzzled as to why this man seemed so familiar to him - where had he seen him before?

"More than enough." Victoria says. "Couple of those will pay my tab too. And Calliope's. And that guy." She points to Ketorr. And Chayrlins when she gets off and needs to sterilize her digestive system. "

Ketorr was just sipping his Whiskey when he cast a glance back through the entrance and something caught his eye. His head snapped back for a second look, and he spotted it - a distorted, barely-visible figure, difficult to make out. Ketorr blinked a couple times and squinted. The apparition was still there. "... the hell?" he murmured. He slowly stood, then asked, "Anyone else seeing this?"