I Make Movies

Drasiana

So I might as well dispel any sense of anonymity as it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make to share with you guys some of the movie projects I've been working on in the past year or so. Some of you may or may not know, but I'm a screenwriter who graduated from the VFS in 2011 and now work on various projects (some still tied with the school). Most of my initial biggest productions were through the school's "Compendium" program, which were high-budget and directed by established filmmakers.

The short films I'll be posting trailers for were all shot within 12 hours on a budget of $1500 or less. Many of them have been entered in film festivals across the world, including festivals in Romania, Japan, the UK, and France.

First off is my first-ever short film, The Little Mermaid, a dark adaptation of the fairy tale where the titular mermaid is a sideshow freak. Initially winning the Golden Skull at the Screamfest LA festival back in 2011, held at Grauman's Chinese Theatre in LA, it went on to win the Canadian Golden Sheaf and a Leo Award for makeup. We have just begun production on the Little Mermaid feature film and digital series, which you can keep updated on by liking our Facebook page. Here is the short itself (also available on FearNet):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFrDbdAknws

These next two are projects of a similar vein where the prompt was "Zombies in Oz". That's what it's about. The first one, No Place Like Home, is currently making the rounds in Japanese film festivals, including the Yubari International Fantastic Film Festival.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXJMltObOTw&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vABa9Re6tc&feature=player_embedded

The next three are not available to the public yet, but their trailers are available for a sneak preview of what's to come. Presenting the Jabberwock, Tumbling After, and Blood Runs Cold:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVPJkMNikLE&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiwUUC-OMcA&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiMwXHgkLhE&feature=player_embedded

I'll be heading to Nevada next month for Tumbling After's film festival debut.

And finally, one more short, a comical reprieve from the rather dark shorts that I've posted previously, one of my final projects from my time at film school. "Stress":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SesN83g9zB0&feature=player_embedded

Hope you guys enjoy them.

• Like 7

Damn Dras, this is some pretty amazing work you got here. Just watching the "mermaid" sitting there covered in the man's blood and holding his heart in her hand in the first short sends chills down my spine.

Also, are you one of the two girls in the intro before the film starts?

Very impressive Dras. Did you know that your "dark" adaption of the classic  fairy tale is in keeping with the original's spirit? The

Hans Christen Andersen story was very dark indeed. In his version the mermaids feet had stabbing pains whenever she walked on land. Instead of living happily ever after with her, the prince spurned her for the love of another woman. The mermaid coudl not go back to sea, and really was a "fish out of water  :troll: "

Anyway, great movies!

Also, are you one of the two girls in the intro before the film starts?

Glad you liked it. And no, those were the producers. I walk by in the background of Stress briefly, and have cameo parts in Tumbling After and The Jabberwock, but you'll have to wait for the full versions of those ;)

Very impressive Dras. Did you know that your "dark" adaption of the classic  fairy tale is in keeping with the original's spirit? The

Hans Christen Andersen story was very dark indeed. In his version the mermaids feet had stabbing pains whenever she walked on land. Instead of living happily ever after with her, the prince spurned her for the love of another woman. The mermaid coudl not go back to sea, and really was a "fish out of water  :troll: "

Anyway, great movies!

Yeah, that was more or less the idea to keep in line with the original fairy tale, for both creative and copyright reasons. Numero Cinq Magazine did a pretty good take on it.

"The sun is shining, the birds are chirping, and I'm inhaling the fresh scent of fuck you."

​Spoken by a true hero among humans.

Including ...

945627.jpg

• Like 3

As I said in chat yesterday, Guillermo Del Toro-like awesomeness.

• Like 1

...the stuck-up film connoisseur snob approves! I especially enjoyed Stress!

In my aspiration and ambition to become a filmmaker, perhaps a collaboration is in order some time in the future?  :lol:

Glad you enjoyed them, and good to see some other people trying to break into film!

I can certainly give you some tips and advice regarding projects though I'm not sure I can commit to anything long-term. This is my job after all and my time will be limited now that I've begun work on the feature adaptation of Mermaid. Feel free to send me a private message though if you have any questions about anything!

and good to see some other people trying to break into film!

I don't know, I've tried it and it just never worked for me. Film making is not exactly the same as writing.

Yeah But I don't think I can be able to juggle it. I get bored rather easily and if a project I'm working ceases to interest me, I go on to something and so on, so on.

This is the area I'm aiming to work in once I graduate. All kinds of production (normal and post the most) excites me. Great works. I'll see the rest when my computer stops derping.

@Snes: The trick is maintaining your interest. It's not easy to do no matter your position.

@Harlow: Yay! I hope it can be some manner of inspiration for you :3

• 1 month later...

So I've got some exciting news on the film front: not only has Tumbling After been accepted into five film festivals so far, it is also in the running for the Cinecoup Accelerator program...where it has the opportunity to win a chance at being optioned and/or funded for a feature adaptation, guaranteed distribution in theatres for the January of next year.

Holy crap, right?

While we get the details sorted out, it would super-mega help us out if you guys followed us on Tumblr, Twitter and Facebook for the updates we'll be posting in the coming days.

Thanks a bunch :3

• Like 1