Atari is making a new game console

Honestly, I'm actually quite interested. It has been what, like 23 years since the Atari Jaguar came out? I'm pretty sure the company has changed drastically and probably won't repeat the same mistakes back then. It would be cool to see what they would offer to the table compared to the other console manufacturers of the current gaming generation.

• Like 1

Honestly, I'm actually quite interested. It has been what, like 23 years since the Atari Jaguar came out? I'm pretty sure the company has changed drastically and probably won't repeat the same mistakes back then. It would be cool to see what they would offer to the table compared to the other console manufacturers of the current gaming generation.

The one thing I am wondering is what kinds of games they'll make. The one problem with Atari is that they keep rebooting/remixing their own IPs (Yars' Revenge, Asteroids, Missile Command... etc.) because while they're good Atari games, they've been remixed to death and most of the remakes were badly bugged or just had too many glitches. If they don't create new IPs and kept remixing their own games, then most likely Atari would go back to its grave real fast.

Maybe this won't just an excuse to just port old titles, maybe the game market will have the completion as in the old days. Yet...I'm hesitant, the Golden Age of gaming is behind us...

Damn you SEGA, why did you have to ruin everything and go exclusively software? ...

This was not a first look, this was a teaser.  Atari needs to get their titling straight. 

I am excited to see what comes of this, but I probably won't be buying it when it comes out.  I dig the retro look, but I need a little more substance before I can say whether I like it or hate it.

• Owner/Technical Admin

I wonder if they are trying to cash in on the popularity of the NES Classic here, 

I wonder if they are trying to cash in on the popularity of the NES Classic here, 

Yeah, it'll probably be some kind of Atari 2600 Classic or something. I doubt it'll be a current gen console, and I don't think there is room for 4 home consoles today. Even the Xbox One isn't selling that well, so an Atari console...

As long as it has wood grain, I'll be a happy camper.

Realistically I don't see any chance of it being a modern-ish console.

The Atari brand will never again be associated with modern technology by most of the public. They could build the best cutting edge console in the world and it'd still struggle to sell thanks to the connotations the word "Atari" carries. Rather than try to push into the modern market, their best bet is to capitalize on the nostalgia their name envokes. Retro boxes are nothing new (I have an old Atari Plug 'N Play somewhere around here), but the company that owns the Atari brand probably sees their chance to make a healthy chunk of change after the NES Classic, like a few others mentioned.

For a while I was a bit scared Nintendo might be headed down the same path, where after years of lagging behind the competition people would stop seeing them as a cutting edge company, and only associate the name with nostalgia and has-been tech. Thankfully the Switch's success is proving me dead wrong on that front.

This was not a first look, this was a teaser.  Atari needs to get their titling straight.

Truth be told I find the name "Atari Box" really stupid. I mean come on, couldn't they just use a more traditional title like "Atari" and use a four digit number sequence? 

Yeah, it'll probably be some kind of Atari 2600 Classic or something. I doubt it'll be a current gen console, and I don't think there is room for 4 home consoles today. Even the Xbox One isn't selling that well, so an Atari console...

Atari has the "Flash back" consoles (if you can call them a console). Thing is if they can make the hardware work and not get the console be set on fire, that be great.

Realistically I don't see any chance of it being a modern-ish console.

The Atari brand will never again be associated with modern technology by most of the public. They could build the best cutting edge console in the world and it'd still struggle to sell thanks to the connotations the word "Atari" carries. Rather than try to push into the modern market, their best bet is to capitalize on the nostalgia their name envokes. Retro boxes are nothing new (I have an old Atari Plug 'N Play somewhere around here), but the company that owns the Atari brand probably sees their chance to make a healthy chunk of change after the NES Classic, like a few others mentioned.

For a while I was a bit scared Nintendo might be headed down the same path, where after years of lagging behind the competition people would stop seeing them as a cutting edge company, and only associate the name with nostalgia and has-been tech. Thankfully the Switch's success is proving me dead wrong on that front.

I highly doubt their new console will fly but who knows? I'm still not a big fan of Nintendo trying be "inovating" with their hardware (though not going as far to cry "shovel ware" as the many anons from /v/ would do). I really would be surprised if their consoles ends up being a success though. But like I said: who knows?

What? No mention of the AVGN review of it?

NSFW, also skipping first part because it's more of a history lesson:

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I'll have to dig my 2600 out of my attic one of these days - if I had the space to have it readily available I'd probably delve into random games here and there more often.  I did have great times with Berzerk and Yar's Revenge years ago.