Starfox Assault MEGA RANT. Rob lays down the law at long last.

Robert Monroe

While still laughing my ass off here and agreeing with pretty much everything you say there's a liiiiittle tidbit about the discount Macross of a Gen. Pepper boss fight that calls to me:

General Pepper is a Veritech pilot? Or does Namco not know what the hell a "flagship" is? The answer should be obvious.

The answer should be really obvious indeed.

On another note I can't stress how much I agree with Corneria City's Megafloat-wannabe design being a load of BS. I mean for chrissakes, it's a floating square in the nothingness, there's not even a discernible docking area. Not only it breaks the little consistency to be had (then Command makes Corneria City a coastal city again what the hell), it also makes absolutely no sense since its size is barely enough to be called a city. Those guys never heard of skybox/dome parallax-scrolling background cities with invisible wall limits to avoid player intrusion have they?

And as you mentioned there's sooooo much that they could explore in possible spin-offs and make better use of in world building. LOOK AT GODDAMN DEUS EX, I won't spoil anybody who hasn't played here but let's just say Eliza Cassan becomes an important (if in a strange manner, but strangeness is not news in a game featuring fucking Illuminati) in a portion of Human Revolution. A minor element nobody would've given a shit about turns out to be a hidden Chekov's Gun. And then there's that glasses-wearing Krystal reskin in one of the larger random info holo-panels that seems to be a news reporter or anchor person. A Project ACES approach never hurt anyone by adding emergency civilian news broadcasting mid-mission between the radio chatter and comms for sake of immersion at the very least. And I'm not even talking about the other things that pile up into the "Unused Worldbuilding Content" box.

I -wish- Assault was as pants-on-head-crazy fun as goddamn Ace Combat is. Actually, I read somewhere Assault was developed by the Ace team? So how it came out as bad as it did I'll never know. A Starfox reskin of an Ace Combat game would've suited me just fine.

• Like 1

I -wish- Assault was as pants-on-head-crazy fun as goddamn Ace Combat is. Actually, I read somewhere Assault was developed by the Ace team? So how it came out as bad as it did I'll never know. A Starfox reskin of an Ace Combat game would've suited me just fine.

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City was done by Slant Six, the folks that did SOCOM Confrontation, and it came out terrible too while Confrontation was fantastic, after a few fixes.

How do so many games made by people who should know what the fuck they were doing turn out so bad?

the-world-may-never-know-thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Sadly as far as I could gather Project ACES -responsible for pretty much everything since Ace Combat 4- didn't touch a single finger onto Assault, so we can only imagine what would have happened from a dramatic side story of a civilian caught in the horrors of war to secret nazi-by-any-other-name extremist parties to a prelude to the beginning of the Lylat Wars that brings up the most gruesome and red-taped events of the war with personality, style and relatable characters.

Now you might be talking about Ace Combat 2 devs that got into the game and that's been apparently true; AC2 was rather shallow on story but still fun to play and decidedly HARD (I take it they were shoved off into the combat design which wasn't all that great so we still have that to wonder about). 

AC2 didn't tease you with story bits, or unused lore content, or faux-personalities. It gave you what it promised: Simple, straightforward, pure dogfighting. Plus we have Ace Combat: Cross Rumble+ for 3DS as a spiritual remake with story so who's complaining? e3e

As a side note Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere -the series' oddball- was developed by the same Namco team as AC2 apparently though had different direction. People to this date try to bring the original storyline of the non-export version (US/EU versions had story cut because of rushed development and the launch of the PS2 coming soon by then) which apparently was great.

• Like 1

I only played 4 and 5 but I always assumed that was the series trademark with the over the top cheesy melodramatic war story horrors thing.

THAT'S WHAT I HATE ABOUT WAAAAR NO MATTER WHO WINS PEOPLE GET HURT THATS WHY I HATE IT

wisdom of the fucking ages right there

I did know that AC3 had the plot removed from the NA release which blows ass given it had branching fucking story paths so yeah kind of a big deal thing to cut out. Oh well.

• Like 1

How do so many games made by people who should know what the fuck they were doing turn out so bad?

the-world-may-never-know-thumb.jpg

Uggg, I swear it's done on purpose. You heard of Sonic Chronicles the dark brother hood? That crappy RPG with a crappy story? WELL it was made by Bioware, the creators of Mass effect and Dragon age. HOW they mess something up so badly that they basically mastered I'll never know DX My only guess is that they made that game bad so people will be more inclined to spend their Christmas money on their game.

Assault could have been better but the thing is, it was suppose to be a multiplayer based game called Star Fox Armada. The team showed it on E3 2003 and everyone hated it. Now remember, Assault came out on February 2005 (just a couple of months after 2004) The team began working on Armada during 2003 and later merged the whole multiplayer concept into the story when they started working on Assault.

This explains why every On-foot mission feels like an empty sandbox level. Those empty levels were meant for multiplayer mode only. They probably merged multiplayer levels with the story because they only had about a year and a half to work on it. 

(Clearly not enough time to create awesome story mission levels, good dialog, Nice animations, good voice acting, and polished graphics

RECAP

-The team wasted 2003 working on Star Fox Armada

-They showed the game on E3 and no one liked it

-The team scrapped the Star Fox Armada concept (after working on it for months)

-Merged multiplayer levels with mission levels to save time

-Only had a year and a half to work on Assault (2004-2005) after scrapping their main idea (that they worked on since 2003)

-In the end we get a rushed game that was ok to say the least...

Wow. So that would explain why the game turned out to be so mediocre.

• Like 1

Does anyone have the E3 2003 Starfox Armada/Assault footage? Hmm...

EDIT: Wait, you mean the terrible pre-rendered CGI video?

This?

Here's an old article about the gameplay pre-namechange: [x]

It doesn't really sound like it was that massively different to what Assault's multiplayer ended up being, except for this:

There are even various interactive objects, like a rail car, which you can hop into and ride around an arena while blasting apart the competition.

That would've been interesting.

Anyway yeah "Armada" was the game's title when they were planning on releasing an arcade tie-in. Its name was changed to Assault presumably after the arcade thing fell through. Here's the article confirming I'm not crazy about the arcade thing existing and that I do indeed properly remember its announcement: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2002/05/08/namco-brings-gcn-support

Notice how the trailer never mentions a story.

I forgot where i read this but this trailer was harshly criticized  during E3. This made the team scrap Armada but the problem was that now they only had a year and half to work on it.

They had a deadline so they simple merged the multiplayer aspect of the Armada with Assault.... The Team saved time but...yeah, your review says it all.

EDIT: The only screenshots of Armada were split screen sections of Multiplayer (No enemies were seen as well) They later released Assault beta screenshots showing a new HUD and Fox shooting enemies

EGM said that it was "remarkably unimpressive"; there's no evidence that this alone made them change it. More likely it was the overall failure of Nintendo/Triforce's arcade project, since F-Zero AX was the only one that wound up being released and it didn't do very well. Armada was using an engine developed by Triforce that doesn't seem to be present anymore in Assault, so they pobably had to throw together a new engine and slap the previous assets on it.

EGM said that it was "remarkably unimpressive"; there's no evidence that this alone made them change it. More likely it was the overall failure of Nintendo/Triforce's arcade project, since F-Zero AX was the only one that wound up being released and it didn't do very well. Armada was using an engine developed by Triforce that doesn't seem to be present anymore in Assault, so they pobably had to throw together a new engine and slap the previous assets on it.

You're right about Armada being an Arcade game. I got confused since Assault had about 3 name changes (Star Fox, Star Fox 3?, Star Fox Armada, Assault)

I read somewhere that the E3 trailer was terrible. Other then that i thought, well the same team (Namco) that is working on the next Star Fox Game Cube game had to merge those multiplayer areas with Assault to save time. Usually a development team is given a deadline to finish their product. Namco had been working on that game since 2003 and Assault came out on Feb 2005. 

Two years and half is enough time to create a Game Cube title.....but since they scrapped their own idea they only got about a year and a half to develop Assault which resulted in a rushed game. 

I'm not sure if there's an appropriate wat image for this post so I'll just go with the following:

826359__safe_twilight+sparkle_fluttershy

He may hate the game with a burning passion but that doesn't mean his points aren't valid, and if you read his review there are some things about the game he actually likes such as the Meteo level.

my point is; he has some irrational hate of the game, maybe he doesn't like parts of the game, guess what I DON'T EITHER, I fucking hated Corneria, the only thing likable was that the map was cool, some of the bombing enemies were....a good idea but poorly executed, the map's pretty sweet looking, and I guess Pepper's transforming mech-fighter is pretty badass and I want to see more shit like that in future games, Meteo...I did not like that much either, especially not the beginning, I like the 64 version of Meteo better. Some of the voice acting annoyed me, remember those ghetto monkeys on Sargasso? I wish you could turn them off, Leon's voice just wasn't "I am the Great LEON!!!" material. Leon's one of my favorites. *My favorite characters are Wolf, Panther, Krystal, Peppy, Leon, Wolf, and Miyu* I don't see what's so great about Fichina either, I love the LandMaster section because...LandMaster, and it was a cool boss fight, but I can't get over wing riding. I know it's supposed to be like an arcade shooter but for christ sake I don't like turret shooting, it get's boring REALLY fast, same with Corneria, "Oh no, one of my favorite cafe's got totaled, when this is all done....one first class meal ;)~" keep your dick in your pants Panther. The On foot could have been a lot better, but it wasn't putred, hell it's better than Mercenaries on foot, and that game is probably one of the top five greatest games of alltime IMO. The pacing of some missions is a little bland, and in general for the rail shooters, 64 wins for the most part, but Assault still has BY FAR THE BEST dog fighting in the series, I actually loved the StarWolf fight, between Wolf and Panther's badass charisma and shooting down battleships and team StarWolf themselves AND that orgasmically epic music, it just blows me away. their AI is actually pretty good, but not great. hardly even good but they fly into shit and die all the time in 64 so that's a plus.

Adventures and Command are both on my hit list, yes. I'll also be doing reviews of SF64, SF1 and SF2 as well. Basically I wanna give the whole series a nice in depth look eventually.

SF2....oh go can you kill me first? Adventures wasn't a good thing to happen, but it was a good game. I know SNES has aged, but it's a classic. 64 definitely doesn't pass for a modern game, but it's still a great game nontheless.

My point is; he hates Assault with some sadistic passion, he doesn't give it the rating it deserves. Assault at very least is a 7/10 game, same is 64. Neither of them are good enough to be released today, but guess what? they're REALLY FUN GAMES, is that all that matters in the end? looking at all the bigotry that's hit the gaming industry, apparently I'm too open minded to be a part of it.

I HATE StarFox Command, that game truly is a piece of shit, it doesn't entertain, there is ONE SOUNDTRACK *the ending theme* that doesn't sound like shit being shoved through my ear holes and bursting through my ear drums, and ONE ENDING that actually sets up for a decent sequel. what kind of StarFox name is Marcus? name that little bastard James, after Fox's "deceased?" father. but that ending is still shat. F-ZERO RACING!! what? the image of Fox crying still haunts the back of mine eyes today. but guess what? I'm not going to go into NEAR as much depth on how and why I hate it that much, not like what Rob does.

"Lays down the law" seriously that's as conceded as it gets, I honestly don't think I've ever met someone that has that much ego, seriously chill.

Does anyone have the E3 2003 Starfox Armada/Assault footage? Hmm...

EDIT: Wait, you mean the terrible pre-rendered CGI video?

This?

oh god, this is the one voice of Fox that's worse than super smash bros 4....WHY ARE THEY PUNISHING US LIKE THIS!!?

also this trailer is better than sex, 64 voices, Assault cutscenes, scenes Armageddon, and BattleStar Galactica melded well, that and the freakin Wingless Corneria theme; the most epic fanmix I've ever heard.

I read somewhere that the E3 trailer was terrible. Other then that i thought, well the same team (Namco) that is working on the next Star Fox Game Cube game had to merge those multiplayer areas with Assault to save time. Usually a development team is given a deadline to finish their product. Namco had been working on that game since 2003 and Assault came out on Feb 2005. 

What's throwing you off here is that Armada and Assault were never "merged"; they were always the same game. The issue was they basically had to rebuild Assault from the ground-up after they scrapped the vital arcade tie-in and its engines. Pretty much what happened to Adventures, really: they'd gotten so far into development when the entire focus of the game was drastically changed and they weren't given enough time to make it properly.

my point is; he has some irrational hate of the game

he has given paragraphs upon paragraphs of incredibly intricate, step-by-step criticism of the game. you have done nothing but screamed incomprehensible walls of garbage at him any time he says literally anything. your hateboner for rob is seriously weird and annoying and the only way i'm thinking you can contribute anything worthwhile to this community is if you pretend he doesn't exist and stop basing your entire existence here on trying to be his weird little nemesis. 

• Like 5

he doesn't give it the rating it deserves

To quote Yahtzee from Zero Punctuation

You like numbers? How about four? As in four-k you! Do you really need someone in authority giving you a simple yay or nay before you buy anything? Why don't you roll over so they can stamp on the other side of your face?

He's giving it his review of the game as he's playing it. End of story.

If you want to show your irrational hate of HIM as you clearly did the FIRST thing you did here after coming back, you know where the door is!

• Like 1

What's throwing you off here is that Armada and Assault were never "merged"; they were always the same game. The issue was they basically had to rebuild Assault from the ground-up after they scrapped the vital arcade tie-in and its engines. Pretty much what happened to Adventures, really: they'd gotten so far into development when the entire focus of the game was drastically changed and they weren't given enough time to make it properly.

he has given paragraphs upon paragraphs of incredibly intricate, step-by-step criticism of the game. you have done nothing but screamed incomprehensible walls of garbage at him any time he says literally anything. your hateboner for rob is seriously weird and annoying and the only way i'm thinking you can contribute anything worthwhile to this community is if you pretend he doesn't exist and stop basing your entire existence here on trying to be his weird little nemesis. 

Read my comment again, I've said that I hated a lot of things in Assault too, do I agree with him in some areas, yes. but I still don't see how he can hate a game that much, he went way over the top with this criticism, it's just a game, not a perfect game, but a great game nontheless, he's trying REALLY hard to make it seem like Sonic 06 bad, with the hateboner thing I thought it was the other way around, everything I've posted so far he's blasted me to bits with HIS angry antics. He HATES me, I DO NOT CARE about him, at all.

Anyways, I've posted a story, and had some sensible gameplay arguments WITH YOU on the gameplay post by DZComposer, if you think you are telling the truth about how I haven't contributed anything worthwhile is because you don't like me, if you want me to leave the group, not that I'm gonna listen to you, just tell me flatout. I always thought when you have a serious problem with someone you have to be brutally honest with them, go ahead and batter me all you want it makes no difference to me.

He HATES me, I DO NOT CARE about him, at all.

THEN WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU TREATING HIM LIKE THE FUCKING DEVIL?! WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU STILL BITCHING ABOUT HIS "IRRATIONAL HATE" FOR THE GAME!

WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU EVEN HERE?!

THEN WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU TREATING HIM LIKE THE FUCKING DEVIL?! WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU STILL BITCHING ABOUT HIS "IRRATIONAL HATE" FOR THE GAME!

WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU EVEN HERE?!

I'm not treating him like the devil, I pointed out he has a very passionate hate for a game that isn't NEARLY what he says it is., second thanks for being honest, even though I already knew you hated me, but I have no problem with that. when I bashed him it was in retaliation after he already bashed me, several times. he's insulted me with names numerous times, he's called me this and that, but you don't see me making whole posts about it. I really don't care nearly that much.

again, I know how much some of you hate me, you guys want me gone so badly, you would LOVE to see me banned, and all I'm trying to do is make my own points, you all do the same with your own points, it's just that I'm new, and just like all torrents, being new is a sin, and it'll bring you nothing but hatred, frankly my dear, I don't give a damn. although I certainly wouldn't feel safe in the same room as some of you, I'd be afraid you'd all jump me and tear me limb from limb.

I've heard things about this community, and I see those things said weren't exactly exaggerations either, but does it mean ANYTHING that I am giving this community numerous chances to change my view on its history? I see there are some good people here, but even they want me gone, I figure I'll give it a few month's time before I come up with my decision, perhaps things might warm up, should some fairy-tail miracle happen, but it doesn't seem like it now. just hear me out just as I hear you out.

I don't know why I'm here to be blatantly honest, I've been battered here numerous times, yet I remain patient, I say one little thing *though I am sometimes a bit harsh* and you all want me dead on the ground, you all get really pissed for some reason. get this: I remain calm and collected, yet I am raging pissed off in real life all the time. hell, I'm writing a very calm reply to your rage, while actually raging pissed off at my piece of shit, $100 laptop, this thing pisses me off at least once a day, it can barely handle a torrent site much less fucking google, but I remain steady.

A while ago, things got REALLY bad on these threads which is why I left in the first place, but that's in the past, things haven't changed much, but I have more patience now than I did then, even though I wasn't ridiculed then like I am now.

I'd make a comment about how none of what you said made no sense but I'm actually waiting for the end of the review before risking getting the thread locked. I might've helped a bit with that explosion up there and I admit it.

Suffice it to say, your being new has little to nothing to do with it.

I'd make a comment about how none of what you said made no sense but I'm actually waiting for the end of the review before risking getting the thread locked. I might've helped a bit with that explosion up there and I admit it.

My statement made perfect sense, just hear me out, for the love of all that is right!! Oh and "might've?" I was trying to calm things down, when I first arrived here it was already a heated debate, even if I accidentally posted nothing but a one character typo people would be all over me.

Suffice it to say, your being new has little to nothing to do with it.

*Laughs* yeah-haha, I guess I should take your word for it. your funny.

YES, I AM NOT USING THE MULTIQUOTE/EDIT THING TO POST THIS COMMENT, BE APALLED BY MY DANGEROUS ACTIONS, OH NO I'M REPLYING TO MY OWN COMMENT BASICALLY AAHHHHH THE HUMANITY!!!

Oh and one more thing, if you get the threat lock, don't worry I really won't care. I don't care about this silly review, and I'm sure he wouldn't take my reviews seriously either. contrary to what you have made yourselves believe, I don't care about reviews, AT ALL, I was just throwing in a few things to steam it up a certain way, only to add some justifications to my own arguments on how I'd agree and disagree with his or any of your opinions and hopefully get people to shrug it off as a simple difference in opinions, AND make my point that he HATES the game, and how that probably has something to do with a harsh review. >_>

Before you get all heated about that, just know that I actually really liked StarFox Assault, so assuming I do write a review, my points may be more or less different from his; I certainly won't obsess over it, but the negative things about the game will always be outshined by what made the game great, and I won't hold back at all to reflect on them excessively.

"You all just hate me because I'm new!"

• Personal Text:Your pathetic opinions are isignificant

Uuuh huh. Yep. That's exactly what our problem is. You being new. Yep.

Has nothing to do with the fact that you've been outright told by mods not to double post and up above you deliberately did so and acknowledged that fact either.

Forums aren't that hard to figure out bro

• Like 2

What's throwing you off here is that Armada and Assault were never "merged"; they were always the same game. The issue was they basically had to rebuild Assault from the ground-up after they scrapped the vital arcade tie-in and its engines. Pretty much what happened to Adventures, really: they'd gotten so far into development when the entire focus of the game was drastically changed and they weren't given enough time to make it properly

They were always the same game? You mean to tell me Namco wasted 3 years on it!?! That is just some lazy development from Namcos side -.-

At least with Adventures, the team behind it actually put in effort lol